danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
net neutrality is dying

|

| How in what way

| >>62268 the fcc's restore internet freedom bill puts isps back to title 1 so they can basically do whatever, and still don't have to worry about competition

| >>63105 Are you trying to deny competition now? Not only that, why would companies implement these "Special Internet Access" pacs? To lose all credibility and customers? What you should worry about are lobbyists, not some reddit tinfoil hat delusions.

| >>63278 wow I found the shill.
Or maybe just a delusional ancap lmao
Hail Corporate am I right b o i ?

| >>63280 So all you have is ad hominem now. Good. Now how about a great example. Hong Kong. These guys just don't care, and yet the few ISPs they have don't have the bullshit practices you're considering. Not only that, there are tons of other less developed countries where you'd find the same result. Your fears are unreasonable. Like "If we cut social spending we will all starve!!!" No.

| >>63283 look at North Africa where you have to buy 'Internet Packs' called Media (for YouTube, Vimeo, etc), or Social (for Facebook, Twitter).

Ever heard of Cartels? Why would they care about happy customers when they control the markets?

Or ever heard about consumer protection? You really think anyone would care about any less than their profits without it?
And here a little joke for ya little ancap boi;

| Ayn Rand, Rand Paul and Paul Ryan walk into a bar. The bartender serves them tainted alcohol because there are no regulations.
They die.

| >>63301
>if you oppose idiotic state regulations you're an ancap
All you have at this point are "what if" scenarios.
I'll make it short.
Sherman Antitrust Act. Section 144. P. 85.

| >>63311
>The invisible hand of the free market, when not even God himself coming down on earth for a last time- will regulate the markets

| >>63312
So you didn't read it? Good. Enjoy your jolly reddit conspiracy theory crew.

| Part of me really wants to see net neutrality die just so the people who think it's a conspiracy will have to eat their words. I'm glad I live in a democratic country, instead of a plutarchy like Trumpistan.

| Lol i live in Italy.

| Kek

| You don't need North Africa, just look at Portugal and New Zealand.
The net without neutrality sucks big time.

| How can you even be against net neutrality ? I mean, it will slow down ALOT the internet connection for everyone, and allowing only a few big corporation to have a decent connection. Hence the >>63280

| >>64072
>implying actual democracies exist in 2017
>not just oligarchies that give their citizens the illusion of choice.

| In France net neutrality is dying too... Orange said very recently that they are strongly against net neutrality and it's one of the biggest internet provider in France

| I like France

| Today's it boys. Hopefully it pulls through. If not, I'll deliver a certain "ijit's" head on a pike. You're welcome.

| Mom cooked a shit pie

| We can look at the phone companys and all the shady stuff they've done over the years, I don't think it'll be as bad as people seem to think but it's not a good thing and I haven't seen any reason to remove it thus far

| >>63278 starting an isp is incredibly difficult, and with how Comcast, att, and others try to stop Google fiber saying there won't be competition isn't that much of a stretch

| In many places there isn't more than one and because of the smaller market that's unlikely to change. The"fast lane" is what most people have issues with because we know they won't lay more copper down to get higher speeds they'll just slow everything else

| The whole reason they are title 2 now is because it was ruled the FCC didn't have justification if they weren't, in a suit against version, so they basically did this to themselves

| Jurisdiction not justification thanks Swype

| At this point I don't think we'll have any usable internet in ten years time. Internet is going to be just like cable or the radio, another channel for a few select broadcasting/internet companies to advertise their services. It is a very unfortunate turn of events and I applaud the people fighting against these developments, but I do not think they will succeed. There is too much money to be made on a closed internet, so I think it will happen eventually.

| Here's hoping some of those congressmen trying to investigate Pai intervene before it's too late. I'd rather focus on bettering my life than having to go to great lengths to fix the government that's supposed to care about our interests at least on a basic level.

| Tbh it might just be paranoid me but the fact that even though evidently most of internet users are supporting NN but are powerless against it.. really feels 'humanity' is not going to be a concept soon. Censoring and fake news to fuel outrage is slowly accepted and a normal thing here. Hurting majority of consumers who enjoys internet as the cheapest way to wash their daily stress off, just because they could is such an evil thing to do. What's next? injecting ads to bloodstream?

| Nanomachines, SON! Jokes aside, as someone studying information technology and information security currently, I'm prepared to do whatever I can to better the individual on the net. I'll be damned if I let the one true meritocracy die.

| Whatever happens today (12/14) I'm buckling down and riding this train to the finish. See you g/u/rls on the other side.

| >>66138 I'm a bit of a paranoid person as well and I agree with what your saying. But I personally wouldn't use the term "fake news" since it's mostly used by mainstream media to discredit mostly real sources.

|

| I don't really read the news or watch it...but my friend breifly told me I would have to pay for chrome. Could one of you guys explain to me what net neutrality is and how it'll affect internet users?

| >>66631
It's a bit like this: Without net neutrality, internet companies can charge you for access to websites like cable companies would charge for channel packages or individual channels. In New Zealand, for example, you pay $X for social media sites, another $X for news sites, another $X for YouTube and video sites...

| Or they could purposely make some websites faster and others slower. So if Fox pays Comcast to be in the "fast lane", while your local news site doesn't pay anything and gets stuck in the "slow lane", your local news site will have trouble staying alive if people are too impatient to use it.

| >>66651 that's pretty stupid. Wouldn't that cause censorship because they could block sites they don't want? I really hope sometime soon this is reversed

| >>66670
Yes. They absolutely could. Mind you it doesn't mean they WILL do that, but let's be honest: how much do you trust your ISPs to be good people?

| did it fail?

| >>66674 don't trust them at all to be good people. The majority are only out for themselves and their company.

| Net Neutrality not dead yet... was merely the beginning.

I expect to see Ajit Pai in chains at the end of this.

| Is this constitutional?

| >>66742 Barely, with this many against it including 18 general attorneys asking to delay the vote this will probably be challenged in the courts.

| Woah. Well, net neutrality is dead in the States. Good luck boys

| We'll take it back, and we'll spit-roast the guy responsible. That's how we do it in 'murica.

| >>67386
Trump appointed Pai, so maybe start with the body of the hydra?

| Hope you guys don't like watching movies illegally or using BitTorrent. Prepare yourselves for the incoming throttling

| Sacrebleu...

| so, you guys over at 'murrica are done fighting for net neutrality? cause i hope not and i'm hoping to hear good news. no pressure or anything

| The best way to retaliate is economic warfare

| >>87040a Here in 'murica we have to rely on our shitty inefficient government to hopefully not fuck us too hard... which is unlikely. The government loves some good old fashioned hatefucking.

| Bright side boiz, yallz one step closer to a cyberpunk dystopian future, ruled by greed and censorship!!!

| and now i dont have extra money to spend on internet..... so goodbye internet i guess..

| Gj america

| >>67811

Except it's not fun or romantic

| >>67811 It's not aesthetic if you live in it. However, taking a walk home after bladerunner movie, irl 2k17 megapolis looked like fucking 23 century star trek by comparison so we're not quiet there yet. Inb4>being optimistic on dodging cyberpunk dystopia

| Net neutrality is striking back (again)

| Arigadanke trump idioten

| When it dies, lets just pirate internet packages.

| >>68110 cause it's not ment to be

| Internet is more than the WWW although a lot of people put an = sign between the two. If net/u/trality is webfiltering and website prioritising, that can be compensated by using a vpn which exits to a different corner of the world and redirecting all traffic through that. It is a PITA but doable if the alternative becomes unbearable. Datacenters in places like Brasil, Iceland, Finland, Argentina, Holland, Denmark, the Baltic States, India, Indonesia, Panama, Ireland...

| ... Will be happy to sell vpn service instead of webspace for countless blogs of irrelevant nature and content and which basically noone reads or cares about. Or vps systems onto which your nerd/cyberpunk friend sets up a vpn for the lulz. It will be annoying as fuck though, yet another level of injected complication.

| >>69660
Tois somos os próximos a se fuder, magina q o governo n vai querer comer nosso cu

| I doubt it will pass the court, way too many people are against it

| >>70024 "Amen to that"

| Trump goes in and ruins it all

| >>70298
just like USA to another country
USA goes in and ruins it all

| Anybody remember riotgames and how they were coerced into paying up for adequate servers and not throttled service and had to go to court against time warner? Am I supposed to take ISP's at their word now?

Total number of posts: 68, last modified on: Sat Jan 1 00:00:00 1513544129

This thread is permanently archived