danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Interesting operating systems

| Anyone learn of some interesting operating systems? PhantomOS looks interesting, along with Inferno.

List on Wikipedia for reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_operating_systems?wprov=sfla1

| I like Algebras system of operations.
Parenthesis, exponents, multiply, divide, addition, subtraction.

| Os/2 was fun.

| PhantomOS on Wikipedia:

> Application code does not see OS restarts and could live forever—this makes the concept of a file obsolete and any variable or data structure could be stored forever and at the same time be available directly through a pointer.

That's pretty cool!

| I still really wanna try out SailfishOS
Has anyone tried it out?

| An os is as good as the software available for it and in the end to get something done. So what is that the mentioned oses offer in terms of not doing something, but doing it better than the alternatives, enough to make them attractive to jump and use them?

| An os is as good as the software available for it and in the end to get something done. So what is that the mentioned oses offer in terms of not doing something, but doing it better than the alternatives, enough to make them attractive to jump and use them?

| TempleOS is the only right answer.
IT HAS BEEN WRITTEN BY OUR LORD TERRY DAVIS, INSPIRED BY DIVINE VOICES

| Who needs an OS if you can give the machine code instruction directly to the computer? Nothing beats adding, inverting and moving registers and jumping back and forward. Only tech illiterates need operating systems :-P

| >>587968 I had a Jolla phone several years ago, it was pretty nice actually.

| >>587829
>>588650
On that note, MeeGo harmattan. I loved the shit out of my N9, it's depressing to think there will never be another phone like it.
Also, postmarketOS is cool as a concept.

| >>588429
The consistancy of the OS and its ability to make a task easier is one of the main draws.

Plan9 or Inferno are good examples because its architecture is designed around being a distributed system with a file interface. This brings the focus of programming to the higher level protocols and interfaces, instead of dealing with sockets and encryption (unless that's your goal).

Most tasks in Plan9 can be done with a simple shell or `mk` script.

| >>588434
The number of unenlightened plebs out there who don't have TempleOS as their daily driver is so sad.

| BSD

| >>588884
I've never used BSD. How is it compared to Linux/Mac?

| Im practically emptying up my old t510 just so i can try Sculptos and the genode architecture, it seems pretty comfy (and i want bragging rights in the *fetch threads ☆⌒(> _ <) )

| I feel like testing ToaruOS

| >>589215
It's like minimalism in linux distro gone too far.

| Anyone know what happened to Symbolics and the Lisp machines?

(Sounds like a band when I say it out loud)

| >>589421
Sculpt OS looks pretty cool, let us know if you like it!

| PostmarketOS or bust.

Total number of posts: 22, last modified on: Wed Jan 1 00:00:00 1566252212

This thread is permanently archived