danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
VPNs

| I was the g/u/rl who asked about split tunneling here and found some good ones that i'd like to shill about (I use them for both torrenting and IRC)

Before then I used a freemium VPN called Windscribe that was good for torrenting. However the free speed can be pretty shit at times and it has a data cap of 10 GB, I'd only recommend this if you don't want to pay for one.

Then I've tried ExpressVPN, The speed were really good so far and pretty satisfating, really worth the price.

| And then there's ProtonVPN,
The speed is as good as ExpressVPN and the pricing is lower compared to them too but split tunnel is a bit fucky, It depends on, Overall I'd suggest ProtonVPN if you don't care about split tunneling and ExpressVPN if you do.

| Nice! Thanks for the advice!
But I personally prefer to set up proxychains when I want privacy.
It's old fashioned and probably inefficient but old habits die hard.

| >>570084 If it's inefficient you should kill that habbit. I don't know which proxies you tend to use but if it's freely available random proxies then your privacy is possibly compromised. I strongly encourage you to read up on and find a proper solution instead.

| >>87a3de
>privacy
>nordvpn
>protonvpn
your privacy is compromised anyway, vpn service distributor have no interest whatsoever in not selling your data

| >>570737
Prove it.

| I wonder how legit NordVPN is, they seem to be kinda sketchy.

| >>570789
>people wants money
>vpn service distributors are people
>sell your data give money
make an effort

| >>570737 I think what they meant to say was that your security is only as good as the weakest link; social engineering, a remote and possibly comp'd box and no control of your data leaves the VPN looking like a glorified tap. The 'anonymity' of a VPN is only in transit, and if there's tells in your data, either coming from you or the browser - and I'm going to guess you've never compiled webkit - the VPN's completely useless. The internet is not made for security, even with VPNs.

| That's without the posskbility of an attack. Those happen more often than you think, and our very weakly secured and overly featured internet makes it easy unless you use the bare minimum of web capability, an idea that's frankly incompatible with most modern sites. This might be a hard-to-swallow pill, but a VPN's really just a way to bypass the website firewall at your workplace or a fire blanket in the burning building that is web security. Alone, VPNs barely secure you.

| >>571005
> People want money
> Bank has money
> People rob bank
Make an effort

| And that's without, as >>570737 said, a compromised provider, which can happen due to any range of attacks as well. Not your box, after all, so who knows how maligned/gullible that sysadmin is. 'Best practice' is to look to other protocols and self-host your own services with heavy encryption. If you want to retain a semblance of internet security, you can perform all kinds of mitigations but there are a lot of weak points. It's possible but a VPN is one step and a weak link itself

| >>571029 Look, enough with the strawman. We aren't cavemen. If you entrust your data to a stranger, it's a security risk. You haven't checked their conpany policy, you can't read their maint logs over an encrypted channel, you're not a sysadmin.

| >>571029
are you trying to say that people don't rob banks?

| >>571034 not as much as I'd lile

| >>571036 *like

| >>571032 the point was just because they're capable doesn't mean they are, we still have to prove that

>>571034 no not at all, infact it actually lends itself to my argument that people do

And to be clear I agree people need to stop treating vpns like there more safe it just moves the point of trust from your isp to some other company, it's worth noting that while we know isps do sell your data we don't know if the vpns above do so there's the *potential* to be more private

| >>571032 also apply every argument here to your isp since they're also a company who wants to sell your data and takes your money so you can give it to them

Just for fun

| Jokes on them I already sell my own data

| Hi

| >>571276
Howdy

Total number of posts: 21, last modified on: Mon Jan 1 00:00:00 1560707055

This thread is permanently archived