danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Teach me about operating systems

| My OS professor at college was terrible(so bad he was teaching windows and only windows and they fired him) so I'm almost illiterate on the topic
Can someone shared some beginner friendly materials and links so I can remedy this problem?

| i'm currently reading "the design of the unix operating system". it's pretty neat, but is more focused in the kernel than in the rest of the OS. even though this book is from the 80s, most of the stuff is still used in modern OS like Linux. the book doesn't show real code, only pseudocode, but the amount of detail is amazing. i'd recomend this book if you're more interested in the kernel than in the sysadmin stuff. if you want to try this book.

| i'm currently reading "the design of the unix operating system". it's pretty neat, but is more focused in the kernel than in the rest of the OS. even though this book is from the 80s, most of the stuff is still used in modern OS like Linux. the book doesn't show real code, only pseudocode, but the amount of detail is amazing. i'd recomend this book if you're more interested in the kernel than in the sysadmin stuff. if you want to try this book.

| >>565574 >>565573
it's pretty good, i reccomend reading it twice lol

| let me give you an up-to-date, simple rundown.
>Unix sucks.
>IRIX sucks.
>most of the BSD(386) distros suck.
>Linux sucks differently with every new kernel.
>Minix sucks.
>WinNT sucks. sorta.
>Win95 blows.
>all Apple's OSes really suck.

| >>565560
>OS professor
What's that?

| >>565852 a professor that teaches the operating systems subject

| Read "Modern Operating Systems," by Tanenbaum I highly recommend it, and start using a VM with any Linux distro

| >any Linux distro
gods no. there's a reason why there's a community divide in distribution picking. while this doesn't apply too much for virtual machines, the fact stands that there's still a range of difficulty in various distributions.
just use something like debian or xubuntu for starters and then move onto "advanced" distros, like void or whatever.

| OS are bureaucrats granting and depriving access of software to hardware.

Total number of posts: 10, last modified on: Sun Jan 1 00:00:00 1559340462

This thread is permanently archived