danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Operating system question

| So I've been poking around with a bunch lately and was just wondering, how good is linux for coding compared to everything else? I mostly use windows but sense I got into coding I feel like it lacks a lot of convenient features.

| I think Linux is the best for programming works. Everything is in one place, so you don't need to scatter around to find tools (like compilers and IDE). Linux also has a superior terminal/CLI support that can shorten tedious tasks.

It's just an all around superior experience compared to Windows in this case.

| Linux is best, Windows is only good for gaming IMO and only because most games aren't available on Linux

| So I know this is tech but Linux is genuinely a much better os than Windows for a lot of technical tasks, there's a reason most servers run Linux after all

| If you have to ask, stick with windows. You'll spend much more time learning and configuring linux than actually being productive at all.
Download an ide such as VS community and get coding

| >>553558
What features do you feel are missing? As somebody programming on Linux, I'm especially glad about how powerful and usable the command line tools are (my Windows mates would be lost without Visual Studio) and about the package management (need a tool? sudo apt install toolname; need a library? sudo apt install libwhatever-dev)

| Linux and macos are best for everything programming. Linux is better unless you do ios development and deal with graphic stuff. If you are interrsted in viisual fx, editing and art, go with mac or windows. It really sucks to be interested in programming and art at the same time, linux is just not fit for more than basic graphic design/art and basic video editing. Video composition is specially difficult in linux.

| GNU/Linux and Windows belong not to the same category. GNU/Linux is "only" an OS-Kernel, while windows is a big fat blob of software including an os-kernel (NT), some graphical desktop software and lately also the integration of Webservices.
GNU/Linux is open source and modular (see also "unix philosophy"). This makes many different so called "distributions" possible, which are collections of software, maintained by a "distributor" that is usually open source and modular itself.

| However: you could say lots of GNU/Linux distributions are better than windows for coding because they follow the unix philosophy, which makes it pretty developer friendly. There are powerful and well documented command line tools available and also very consistent and premeditated conventions like the location for shared libraries and the separation of system and user ressources. This is where lots of gnu/linux distros are superior to windows.

| But things are changing: Microsoft copies more and more features from the unix world for their product. The most important step in this development was changing the kernel from msdos to nt. It made windows at least much more stable and secur, but always behind gnu/linux distros. Also lately many bad features known from the windows world find their way into some gnu/linux distros, such as bloated container systems, bloatware, integration of probably unwanted web-services, etc.

| I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it.

| Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.
There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run.

| The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!

| Linux is better not for its coding tools or whatever (you'll probably lose quite some time on configuration, for example) (it is "cleaner" than a windows though), but for the fact that there is much more support on it, and people usually (it depends) try to explain clearly and make you progress, when asking for help. In the long run, it's way better.

| Truth is, you can code 'good' anywhere. Being able to code for and on any environment is much more important to me than any IDE or toolkit pre-made for me will ever be.
I recommend you open a text editor, pick a compiler, and start coding that way. Truly multi-platform, if a inconvenient in the short-term.
The result is that you not only appreciate the features around you, but you learn a great deal about them, because you often did their jobs yourself. Push the system, g/u/rl.

| >>555090
The thing is that coding for a bad platform automatically results in bad coding. For example, I have no use for code that only runs on a proprietary platform, because I never would use this.

| if your goal is to program, a pad of paper is all you need.whoever told you you needed some fancy Linux distro or windows this or that lied to you.

| >>555243 Programming and algorithmic are two different things.

| >>555204
Wha? Just because I code on Windows doesn't mean the code is for Windows. Java creates a JVM, for webshit you just use Docker containers, for everything else you can just use a VM if you're really anal.

| >>555605 > Java
You've lost my respect for eternity

| >>555638 You forgot to mention docker

| >>555708 docker is acceptable on Windows since it runs Linux so even though it's docker the fact that it's getting windows people to interact with Linux cancels that out

| >>555708 yeah, docker is useful in a hurry but it's becoming more and more like your average bloatware

| ah, the old 'X is great for Y because Z' arguments. they never get old.
>>553560 >>553563 >>553613
just because it may have a more native environment due to its nature does NOT mean it is automatically superior, especially to newcomers. and we're not even including the occasional autism seen in a few distros, a la complex install processes or boot error bullshit. moreover, you're ditching the fact that ANY environment can be friendly to programmers et al, as >>553630 pointed out.

| >but it's all easily negated if you actually know how to operate it!
coolio. doesn't negate the fact that it still happens and that newcomers who are introduced to meme distros get put off by the whole operating system as a result.
>but installers exist!
doesn't prevent the occasional bullshit - legacy solutions not working on older PCs, incompatability with some hardware, unspecified Xorg errors, systemd/openRC screwups, kernel panics...

| >>555806 The thing is that Windows is made for users, Linux for developers. While linux is harder to use in general, on windows you'll often find unsolvable problems that are caused by the OS itself, because it's badly designed for programming.
And no, I'm not a linux fanatic, I'm just a guy who began dev on Windows, and switch to linux without any experience on it, to dev. And I can tell that it was way easier, because of more support and more logic.

| >>553770

speaking as someone who has used ubuntu for a decade, it took about six months with windows 10's WSL to learn "how to linux" (so to speak) in a far deeper sense than all that ubuntu-ing ever did. i resisted 10 as long as i could, finally caved due to hardware issues with 7, went looking for a way to rip out alot of the awful software that was baked in, discovered wsl.

| >>555847

i dont know what made ms suddenly decide to 180 on their 'pretend linux doesnt exist' policy, i suspect it has to do with the devs all but demanding a somewhat useful coding environment, but im 100% guessing here

i can say honestly that i went from an ubuntu newbie to an archlinux-using, window-tiling snob thanks to... windows. fact of the matter is i was far more willing to sit around typing into a terminal when i dont have to reboot to a new os all the time

| >>555804 I mean it's hard to say that bash isn't 10000x better than Windows cmd and at least 10x PowerShell

| >>555605
>Wha? Just because I code on Windows doesn't mean the code is for Windows.
Why should on do this? For penance?
>Java creates a JVM
Yeah, that's why you rarely see ressource friendly software written in java.
>for webshit you just use Docker containers
Docker is a hellspawn which directly violates the idea of a distribution with central package management.
>for everything else you can just use a VM if you're really anal.
Maximum cringe! No, I don't like anal in this case.

| >>555909
true. but bash on windows is a thing and has been a thing for quite a while now, so... eh.
>>555826
>Windows is made for users, Linux for developers
per a de facto model. for all you and me give a shit about, i could use a minimal windows install for developing shit and linux for a comfy desktop - a decently common switcharoo, too.
>(...) problems that are caused by the OS itself, because it's badly designed for programming.
no, it's just badly designed. full stop.

| (cont.)
remember, much of Windows' older days was still based on DOS and general legacy code - and it got so bad up to the point where the Vista era just had to be rewritten from the ground up, since the spaghetti code was just unbearable. and even today, you've got several archaic or zalgo-named .dlls, APIs... leave it to the boomers to fuck things up, i guess.
>>555848
arch is trash. find a better distro.

| >>556058 which is literally Linux on Windows btw

| >>556072
what, bash? not necessarily. WSL et al fit under that category, sure, though shit like Cygwin and MSYS2 make for a sloppy emulation layer. as such, they're only really okay for using bash for everyday usage on a Windows system. and even WSL sorta falls short, though it seems to be doing okay these days - last time i tested it was a year ago, so /shrug.
besides, if you don't have a basic Linux VM for moments when you wanna test or compile something, you're doing it wrong.

| >>556085 by bash on Windows I assumed you were talking about the M$ implementation not third party but I agree with most of what you said, expect for the Linux vm part since if your dev for Linux it's easier to just use Linux imo same with Windows native stuff just do it on Windows fuck fiddling with vms unless you've got a sick workstation

| >>556136
Windows workstation + Linux VM always seemed like somewhat of a better move since stuff like Wine doesn't work *too* well or reliably enough for some things. on the other hand, a contained VM's okay, but if you plan on using it for the classic reasons such as 'dude gaming lmao', you'd have to use a GPU passthrough and a fair amount of RAM to get some decent results. hence why using a Linux VM makes more sense - takes up less resources for a gradually better job, really.

| >>556148 yeah honestly I've thought about running Linux full time but anti cheat doesn't work in proton/wine, and I'm poor and can't buy two GPUs just to not use one half the time

Why can't Nvidia put that tech that let's vms share one gpu on consumer cards

| >>556242
word of advice: middle-ground it. dualbooting Linux and Windows, as trashy as it may sound to some, makes way for a surprisingly comfortable experience. no fiddling with VMs or having to worry about them in the first place - just install your preferred distro and Windows release of choice and you are literally set.
only crutch would be the bootloader and disk partitioning, but installers solve the former and latter more often than not.

| >>556280 I second this, it's also great to keep the work stuff separated from leisure stuff

| >>556280 I've actually got that setup right now at home, I just don't myself not using my Linux partition as often, I think I haven't updated since last year actually

| >>556291 I just don't find myself*

| >>556291
fair enough. used to have a Xubuntu partition which i never really used all that much after setting it up in full, so i get where you're coming from. though if it's *that* bad, consider ditching the Linux partition altogether and moving onto a VM or two instead.

| >>556292
i hope you find yourself, anon. wish you luck in your path of self-discovery

Total number of posts: 43, last modified on: Tue Jan 1 00:00:00 1556628746

This thread is permanently archived