danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Is website making still a relevant job?

| I'm going to college for web design and am just wondering if it's a good job and if I should learn programming on the side. I'm a new g/i/rl to coding and stuff so any info would be appreciated. All I have experienc with is modding games and console.

| Web design (as in, the visual design) and web dev tend to be handled by different person/department nowadays. They're both still relevant, but most job posting asks for just one side of it.

| More than ever, desktop apps are dying little by little and much of what remains uses a browser engine behind the scenes to render the UI using HTML
Making sites is getting more and more complex as static pages get used less and less and people start demanding more animations and dynamic things
I personally feel very sad with this because SPAs are horrid atrocities and Javascript becomes the dominant technology all around

| >>552596
Nah, web shit is still just too inefficient to seriously replace desktop apps. It's likeb plastic toys compared to steel tools.

| >>552856
If you need some heavy lifting done, it can always be delegated to a high performance library. But for UI stuff, web technology is the way to go at the moment. Just look at the popularity of Electron, all it is is a Chromium instance masquerading as a desktop app.

| What's up with web assembly

| Electron pisses me off. HTML is old and overtaxed, writing CSS is a pain in the ass, and JS is like kicking dead whales down the beach. And in exchange for your trouble, you get bloated, slow software.

| I really wonder how HTML managed to get so popular when it's so crappy...
Same goes to CSS amd Javascript

| >>552978 websites have to support what browsers use, browsers use html because someone thought it was a good idea and other people started using it and somehow it became the standard

Side note can we have the <flash> tag back the internet is a lot less fun without the risk of having a seizure on every obscure link

| I miss <center>. It was so useful. ;~; Now we gotta use furracking CSS to center stuff.

| Companies are shitting out websites and other companies are trying to make apps with shit that supposed to make websites. But if you go down the programming route, go through a proper computer science course. Even if you end up doing front-end work, you will be so much better at it than everyone else.
Source: senior dev/project manager that had to help with recruitment and noticed this happening.

| For real, so many front-end dudes have no idea how to make a "hello world" program. Fucking insane

| >>552935
Working with most web uis still feels like dealing with an old piece of cheese or chewing gum that was left behind a heater for years. In practise real desktop ui engines like gtk and qt can still offer a much more stable and quicker user experience - even on older devices.
There is also a much better separation between theming and the engine itself than in web-uis, which seems more like big fat and closed frankenstein blobs.

Total number of posts: 13, last modified on: Thu Jan 1 00:00:00 1555983305

This thread is permanently archived