danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
i oficcialy replaced windows for android

| Yes, you may think it is weird, i have a lot of stuff to say but i prefer to wait for the question except for the first one people may think: "why?"
The answer is: because it works !
For my own personal expectations, a high end android tablet can fullfill all: android games are good nowadays, emulation, netflix, making my songs, editing videos anf pics, youtube, /u/app, you name it!

| Could've replaced that for Linux, but good for you, I guess.

| That's the most gayest thing I've ever heard coming out of a /tech/ thread. surely this is bait?

| Yeah they are pretty comfy OP. What are you using, RemixOS? PhoenixOS? I've used RemixOS a lot but it would often corrupt itself for some reason.

| >>3a4f08 yea, i actually love linux, i'll give it a try once i fix my pc
>>14f3f3 i was going to say that but you already did it
>>3ebd77 be free to think what you want, i really did it, if you think it's gay you can go straight outta here and be happy ! ^^
>>5e3eaa i'll try installing it on my desktop, for now i'm not using it since it is broken, and i've tried for weeks to pull ot off, that's what encouraged me to do stuff on android, it does almost the same things, but lighter

| My only problem with Android is that Google is even more invasive than Microsoft

| >>538264
But different than Microsoft Android is open source. Well, it's not free software, but there are free forks that remain if google fuck things up. Just look what happened to Oracle and Solaris.
A big issue thought are proprietary drivers for non-standardized hardware, which spread like cancer.

| >>538058
Are you talking about an Android Desktop System?
Because there is NO WAY that a tablet or smartphone could fully replace the comfort of a Desktop System. It's too much dependent on wireless and networking solutions.
I did not yet figure out how to use these mobile devices productively, except for communication and syncing with my desktop devices. It always freaks me out, if I see people sitting before their hardware keyboards but typing instead on their phones.

| >>538274 doesn't bother some people, I'm with you and feel weird if I have to type on a membrane keyboard but some people just don't care

| >>c6f795 yes, i am talking about an android desktop system
And i know android still can't fully replace a desktop but, in my special case, it does and it is better
Is lighter, the apps are lighter, simpler and the ui is more "newbie-friendly", you see, i'm not a newbie in video or image editing, i consider myself intermediary.
But mostly, all of those fancy tools on PC programs that makes the programs 1Gb+ in size, to me on a daily basis are useless and just cost on my cpu and hdd

| In my personal experience, my galaxy tab, otg dongle, usb hub, all of them hidden beside the tablet, mouse and keyboard, and a stand for the tablet
basically a little AIO android pc, yes i use hardware keyboard and mouse and playing pubg mobile and minecraft pe feels... normal
Editing on image editor and kinemaster also proved to be not that terrible, and FL Mobile(only not cracked app i have) is functional and underrated
Most people wouldn't be satisfied, but in my case, i am

| What about linux with android apps compability? Like Chrome OS.

| >>538273
I think there's the AOSP (Android Open Source Project) which is the most vanilla/stock android version, without GApps. GApps aren't opensource, that's why some folks have to reverse engineer the shit out of things like Google Play Services

| >>538299
This were exactly the most important reasons to me to switch to GNU/Linux. I have to admit that Android wasn't that much developed back then. But I'm very curious about testing a desktop android myself on my laptop. I wonder if there are currently any of these AOSP ROMs mentioned in >>538673 for the desktop... Because I don't want any of those Google Play "Services".

| >>538842
I think android-x86 ships without Google Play Services? If not, you can just make use of the root and remove it whole.

| My phone is android and it has 0 Gapps

| It is a kind of AOSP but made by me
I also have a Galaxy Core 2 with a fully custom android rom made by me that is almost stock, except it has my fav. Apps built in and some emulators

| >>539034
that looks hyper comfy, anon ^_^ what should i do to get into android rom programming?

| >>539304
Depends.

- building: just setting up env and doing `make`

- zipping: extract ROM zip, tinker with it, re-zip

- porting: take a ROM from a similar device, do some file shuffling, re-zip

| Whoops pressed enter before I'm ready.

Anyway, those three are the most basic way to get to 'programming'. Android is not one component. Usually users would just either do ROM builds or zipping because it's the easiest.

| Now, ROM builds is somewhat of a simple task nowadays. As long as you know your way around Linux, you can figure out that it's as simple as syncing the sources, getting your device tree, and whipping out a few commands here and there.

These would produce either AOSP or an aftermarket firmware/ROM of your choosing. These will (usually) not come with Gapps, as including Gapps are disallowed by Google themselves.

| Zipping on the other hand, is even easier, but we don't consider these 'making ROMs', they're closer to 'taking what's there and modifying it'. These rely on a premade ROM in a flashable format (usually ZIP, but fastboot IMGs exist) that you 'cook' and modify. No building needed.

If you have more question, do ask them in! I used to be a ROM maintainer, so I know most of the ways ROMs are made.

| >>b0c0c6 well,>>4dcc64 this gurl said it all
I basically customized my phone's stock rom, i was afraid of using another roms and it gets somehow rejected by the hardware
I messed up a Galaxy Fame trying to install "iOS 8" in it, of course, it was android but with an interface identical to iOS

| You replaced the windows of your house by humanoid robots?

| I only my pc to torrent anime and watch streams with /a/

| >>539305
I'm interested in ROM porting, but you make it look really easy! I mean, if you look at most unofficial ROMs, all of them have some kind of camera or audio issue... Also, the risk of potentially bricking the phone turns me down a bit.
And how good is battery life with custom ROMs? It would be pretty depressing if you own custom ROM has worse battery than the default bloated ROM, but maybe the latter has some kind of device spexific optimizations...

| >>540034
>>4dcc64 here. ROM porting is one of the easiest way to shuttle a ROM from one device to another. The requirement is only that both devices must have similar specs and components; no porting from, say, Exynos to Snapdragon — or Snapdragon 8xx to 4xx; and they must share roughly similar components (camera module, for instance).

Do note that 'unofficial ROM' is *not* always a ported ROM. (1/?)

| We use the term 'ported' when a ROM is zipped and modified, and it comes from another device.

If you build a ROM to a device that doesn't have said ROM, that is not porting. That is building. It's a wholly different process with different ways of handling things.

The issues you mention is mostly device-specific, but since porting involves modifying compiled code (i.e reverse engineering), it is harder to fix a ported ROM than a built ROM. (2/?)

| That being said, the risk of bricking is overblown. This is personal experience, but I have bricked very few devices — and none of them involves anything related to ROM.

Porting is especially hard to mess up. As long as you get all the correct parts in (read: partition labels, kernel), the worst that can happen is a bootloop — that is, the device stays in that animation before entering the working system. (3/?)

| And finally, battery life largely depends on use. Custom ROMs have less restrictions, therefore you can tweak the system to your liking. For instance, you can underclock/undervolt your CPU/GPU if your kernel (which will most likely be custom anyway) supports it.

However, from the years I've used custom ROMs, the battery is largely equal to the default (stock) ROM. Some are bad, some are good. If it's your ROM, you can do whatever to tweak it to your liking. (4/4)

| >>17e6d5 no, i replaced the Microsoft Windows OS with the Google Android OS, they're Operational Systems

| #it was a good joke, i'm just going with it sheesh#

| >>540042
Thanks for your explanations and encouragement! I'm going to get a new phone soon, so I will be doing some experiments with the old one.

| >Android games are good

Good joke OP, good joke.

| >>540317 maybe OP thinks emulators are Android games

| >>0927b9 no i mean it, i know android is full of shovelware, and maybe i didn't specify
You see, games from the play store are 99% cringe, like rope hero and clash of clans, those things you see in Vinesauce
But i can't also say one cannot be fine by having a lil' android pc to play games like the Real Racing Series, Asphalt 8, GTA games, PUBG Mobile, Minecraft(yes, i like it), there are a lot of PC Ports like Quake III Arena(with mouse+kbd it plays the same way), and emulation!

| I definetely don't recommend Android for hardcore-hardcore-gamers, people that like seeing Lara Croft's hair flying with the wind in 8k at 288fps (even if i did recommend it i'd be laughed at)
But if you just wanna play something online that is not shitty or outdated, like some rip off fortnite made on unity or idk
I just personally find myself a good alternative, it feels fresh and clean :3

| Reading this I'm astonished that someone who knows how to install a OS can prefer android over any other OS.

In addition to that calling it clean that's a stretch.

| Im proud of OP, in a weird way.

| >>540530
Considering people actually chose plain Ubuntu as opposed to any superior derivatives, I think OP's choice is justified.

| >>540530 I agree with you, the only OS I allow in my home is templeOS
I don't have time for those heretical unix likes and the greedy windows

| >>540539
what's wrong with ubuntu? i'm not a fan of their user interface, and if you're not a stallman-tier freedom enthusiast, it's a pretty good all around "it just werks" distro

| >>540837
>what's wrong with ubuntu?
- It's mostly stolen from Debian
- The company behind ubuntu, canonical, annoys the oss/foss community with their shitty own projects of doom (upstart, One, Unity, MIR, etc.)
- >i'm not a fan of their user interface
For a good reason.
- >it's a pretty good all around "it just werks" distro
Implying that all other distros do not "just werk".

| >>540856
idk, maybe i'm just a brainlet g/u/rl, but i spent a whole weekend trying to install the graphics drivers for a laptop with a nvidia optimus setup. i tried both debian and opensuse and it didn't work on neither.
currently i'm using debian minimal with mate desktop, really comfy.

| >>538058 congrats for the op! I was dreaming about going fully mobile, but I can't abandon my pc, cause I love gaming and 3d modelling so much. I have a question and a comment!

What app do you use to create music? I want to try this!

And about mobile gaming - few days ago I would say that it sucks, but after google stadia announcement... Gameng pc's and consoles will become kinda useless. It is sad, but I embrace truly gaming in 4k 60fps on mobile devices with joy!

| >>540878
It's neither yours, gnu/linux, debians or canonicals/ubuntus fault. Nvidia just treats gnu/linux like shit. Intel and recently AMD cause much less problems thanks to open source drivers.
Besides the bad standardization this optimus stuff is pretty complicated by concept.

| >>ef661f i don't prefer Android over any other OS, i just simply turned over to android, still love the other ones equally, and don't even have a favorite, i'm not a hardware demanding user(anymore), i'm just a person with low demands, also low in money and electronics are dead expensive where i live, i have low expectations and the setup i have now simply has got me satisfied, i still can't play on 60fps 8k, or emulate wiiU, but i can do basic stuff, and i'm a basic person now.

| My main pc, in which i used windows 7 unfortunately fried a memory stick, then it's not turning on anymore, i'm afraid the motherboard is burnt, i tested all of the other components(on another pc) and they're fine
I was kinda forced to change temporarily to another daily driver, and using an android 4.4 phone to translate books and do real multitasking for college applications is impossible
Then i started using this tablet(w/kbd+mouse+ps2 fake usb joypad) n' its suprisingly good!

| >>c4bed5 i've used ubuntu maybe even more than windows and mac in highschool, good OS as well, i actually love all of the OS's except for Windows 8, fuck Windows 8

| >>a10755 it's my 4th entry here but your post deserves a dedicated one.
Firstly, thx!
2nd, if you like 3D modelling and graphic intensive stuff, i don't recommend android at all
3rd, just as i did on windows, o use various DAWs, i mostly use FL Studio Mobile, and it's mostly for recording my live instruments and synths, but years ago i did my first songs using just FLM and it has potential!
N for Stadia i don't believe is a great marvel, but liked, but games as a service.. not 4 me

| I don't even use a computer anymore. I spent too much money on PC parts and games and it was getting out of control. I have a very nice and high end smartphone and what has happen since then is that I now go out and hangout with people in real life now. Much happier to make the decision to stop using computers.

| >>540940
did you watch that epic torvalds FUCK YOU NVIDIA video?

| >>541085 link please, that seems epic

| >>541088
The full talk is an hour long, but this is the moment referenced by the g/u/rl before: https://youtu.be/IVpOyKCNZYw

| >>541094
heh, it never gets old

| >>8326e1 i salute you !
Even though i think i'm not able to leave this habit behind, maybe because i type a lot and a physical keyboard is essential, but i definetely understand, spent december and january decluttering my room, my life and my brain, and am becoming a minimalist, tho i don't plan on embracing the "full minimalism" as i like having my own style and stuff
But yea, i also became a little more social, not enough to be normal, but to be less shut-in and more reserved

| >>540995
I haven't spent money on PC parts for over 10 years now. I always used second hand stuff from trash which work pretty well if you avoid using bloated software.

| Unfortunately things have changed and fucking annoying and technically retarded "web technologies" managed to establish themselves. And thanks to equally annoying and monopolistic online platform service providers, it's hard to get around this shit.
10 years ago I had laughed at anyone who said me I would need 8GB of RAM and an 2,5GHz processor with 8 Cores to send/receive text messages, just because it's bloated with surveillance and other stuff I don't want to have.

| >>541270
I'm not able to do that. I have bipolar disorder and while I'm typically okay, when the mania starts, I spend way too much on shit. I've adopted an extremely minimalist lifestyle and it has helped me immensely to cut costs during manic buying sprees.

| >>538058
>android games are good nowadays
[citation needed]

| >>541339
Download another eden. It's a fully free to play JRPG by some of the old chrono trigger team. The only way they make money is from you being allowed to summon stuff via gacha symbol, WHICH IS NOT NEEDED! They only added that in cause of the storefront they used in Japan. The people behind the game said they wanted to bring a true full fledge game to mobile. Its getting a Nintendo Switch port in the near future as well cause it was a success.

| >>d446c3 where i live people don't throw working things on the trash, things are only obsolete if they have 0% chance of being fixed, i get fascinated by dumpster diving in big cities, but here in the countryside if you jump into a dump it'll have just shit n maggots
>>8326e1 lol

| >>7ca85f gta san andreas, quake III, pubg, real racing, asphalt 8, that killzone spin off, another eden, fortnite, apex legends, counter strike, left4dead, gta iv, pixel gun 3d(i don't love it but its a rly good game), king of fighters, sonic cd, sonic 4, crazy taxi, max payne, shenmue, payback 2, danmaku death, toram online, rucoy online, that final fantasy XV mini version, free fire(i like it), minecraft, doomGLES, raging thunder 2, undertale, n' dont make me talk about emulators

| I hope it's a valid citation...

| >>541420
I saw Toram Online in that, and as the g/u/rl who gets depressed over that game, I must inquire for you to remove it from your list.

| >>2abcf8 Your inquire is accepted, i now remove Toram Online from that list, and i also apologize

| >>a82061 o shit there is also Mobile Legends, i don't like LoL and also don't like Mobile Legends, which is weird since i grew up playing RTS games, but for some reason, i just can't enjoy those games, but as someone who tries to play LoL once a year i say that Mobile Legends is really faithful in delivering a similar experience, so LoL fans definetely would like ML
Oh and there is Habbo, Ragnarok and Order & Chaos as well, citations are never enough.

| >>541437
Thank you. May my obsolete three months worth of farming rest in peace.

| You could install a linux distro on android e.g. with AnLinux. The you have access to desktop software that are available for gnu/linux. Maybe windows programs and games could work via wine. It's without any emulation!
I'll try it, once I manage to setup a 32GB SD-card on my device (need to upgrade android)

| >>541861
You can just use Limbo for that. Cuts down the unnecessary step by virtualising the distro directly.

And I don't think Wine for ARM is that usable? Remember, Wine is an abstraction layer. If your phone uses an ARM-based SoC (which it is most likely is), you can't suddenly run x86/x86_64 program with that. Emulation must be used for this.

| >>541866
>Remember, Wine is an abstraction layer.
>you can't suddenly run x86/x86_64 program
You're right, but it may work on x86/x86_64 desktops running android.

| >>542392
I quite literally prefaced with:
> If your phone uses an ARM-based SoC (which it is most likely is)

Total number of posts: 72, last modified on: Tue Jan 1 00:00:00 1553504593

This thread is permanently archived