danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Recommended VPN?

| Could you help a g/u/rl out please? Finally have some dough and spare time and want to torrent some stuff as well as just have some better privacy in general. What does /tech/ recommend?

| Pia is what I have, they let you buy with gift cards I believe, and Nord is also popular

| I have seen stuff promoting NordVPN and/or ExpressVPN. I can't say which is "better" though, so I'm also interested in getting some recommendations.

| TrustZone is decent.

Might also want to try:

https://thatoneprivacysite.net/vpn-section/

| I use Nord, but I don't know how it compares to others.

| I'd go with Proton. Doesn't give you much of a choice while being on a free account status, but it's location should give you a relatively acceptable ping while indefinitely having unlimited traffic.

| NordVPN isn't a popular one, it's a cancerous one which spammed sponsorships on videos from many youtubers and such to get an artificial popularity. Don't encourage their shit.

I used BlackVPN for a while and it was okay.

| Everyone say it together now. If the product is free, then you are the product.

| I use VPNhub on my phone

| >>530652
Huh, so is danger/u/ actually a secret botnet then?

| >>0980b7 same only to bypass my school wifi and it's free. Tho sometimes I wonder what people would think if they caught a glimpse of me turning it on or the dropdown notification

| >>ef8786
Nord got a lot of customers when they were offering their 3/month plan. Ping is about 200ms if you set your location in scandinavia from north america.

| Don't use a VPN for privacy reasons.
That meme needs to die.

| >>531107 depends, they do stop mitm on public WiFi and prevent *your* isp from selling your data. Others before me have said this but it's just moving the point of trust, if you trust your VPN more than your isp then it's a good trade

| PIA or Private Internet Access has worked like a charm for me, and I am happy to recommend it.

| >>530111
Using a VPN only transfers trust and law issues from your local internet provider to the VPN provider. This is all I can say to you, unless you provide me more information like where do you live and what do you want to torrent.

VPNs don't offer anonymity. This is what decentealized systems like Tor are for. But they may be slow and not suited for torrents (that are decentral too, which negates the advantages by a decentral vpn)

| >>531107
If you live in China or Iran a VPN can increase your privacy level significantly.

| I've been with Mullvad for a year, great service, you can even pay in bitcoins, and they're compatible with OpenVPN last time I checked.

| >>531673
OpenVPN support is good. At this point I would like to mention that VPN-Providers that require their users to install proprietary software to use the VPN, are very suspicious.
I once saw this "NorthVPN" Client. Looks fancy and shit, but I would never want to install it. It's almost impossible to check what this software really does.

| TBH I want wireguard support

Total number of posts: 20, last modified on: Sat Jan 1 00:00:00 1550708214

This thread is permanently archived