danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Skype account security

| Apparently it's shit. Not too surprising, considering that Skype is just shitty in general, but that's not the point here. But yeah, someone Malaysian hackers managed to get into my account (~50 bits of entropy on the password) and it kinda sucked to have to explain to coworkers and family why I'm sending them some weird links. I've changed all password since then and enabled two-factor authentication where I could, even though I hate relying on having my phone with me.

| The question is: wtf is wrong with Skype? I've heard about similar issues from a lot of people and it just keeps happening each year like nobody cares. I wish I could stop using Skype, but I need it for work and for contacting not-so-technically-literate parts of family. Is TFA gonna be enough to stop the attackers?

| Skype has been shit since m$ bought it

| >>515299
>I wish I could stop using Skype, but I need it for work and for contacting not-so-technically-literate parts of family.
Actually I talk to my grandma through a xmpp client (psi+), using my own xmpp server. The thin is, that my grandma wouldn't manage to setup skype on her own. The same is for my aunt and my mother. The most problematic cases are people that are are tech literates but used to work with windos and have ideological prejudices to FLOSS, like my uncle.

| >>515339
Mmm, it's more that they're used to Skype already, but yeah, I get what you mean.

| Solution, become a hermit and don't talk to your family like me

| >>515382
A perfect solution, to be honest, but alas, it will never work.

| >>515339

>tech literate
>work with windows

HAH, nice one!

| >>515499
The issue is that indeed a lot of "advanced" or "power" users work with windows. Their problem is not that they are too stupid of understanding other (mostly unixoid, mostly gnu/linux) systems. Their problem is that they are trapped in convenience and tied to proprietary standards and don't see the issue about it.
I was introduced to GNU/Linux by server-admins. No school, no university, no company officially offered it with the same argument: MS is industry standard.

| While i know, you can't beat the devil with the belzebub, here beside the free and decentral alternative "XMPP", another aproach that could be interesting for people that are used to skype:
https://wire.com/en/
Afaik it's supporting text, voice and video transmission and the interface looks quite foolproof. I just resist to treat other people, especially family members, as fools. Unfortunately that's how "free" market works...

Total number of posts: 10, last modified on: Fri Jan 1 00:00:00 1545159413

This thread is permanently archived