danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
The truth about prominent technological "Innovators"

| People like Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, Elon Musk or Mark Zuckerberg never were inventors. They just managed to sell their products by very questionable methods of lobbying and marketing. In fact they just took over ideas that even were implemented before, and put a new design/label on it and established by questionable methods of customer binding by licensing and registration policy. That's the only "Invention" they made by themselves.

| A few examples:
1. Elon Musk
a) "Hyperloop"
It is basically a new approach to implement a vacuum tube train (aka. vactrain) as it already existed in the 18th century.
b) "Boring Test Tunnel"
Well this one is only for testing a private subway for rich people.
c) The "SpaceX" Reusable launch system (RLS)
Such systems existed (even operational) since 1959. In fact Musks approach is much more about privatization of space flight than about developing new "innovative" technology.

| 2. Bil Gates
This guy just stole ideas from public and private research institutions and had the brilliant idea to licence them (even before they are implemented) Yes licensing Ideas or Concepts goes back to the massive Lobbywork of Bill Gates. He also "invented" binding customers to his software by offering it for low costs to companies and even public institutions, so that Microsoft standards became common Standards, while actual public councils should be responsible for this.

| 3. Steve Jobs
Pretty similar to Bill gates, but additionally he was not only a copyright-lobbyist to make money with other peoples ideas, he also was a genius in marketing. He just (let) give things a new design and sold it to people as a livestyle product. Technology as fashion objects. Of course you could call this an innovation, but it does not belong to technology. He innovated the way to sell technology. Somehow could be seen as the founder of a religious brand-cult.

| 4. Mark Zuckerberg
Well this guy just did the same thing as Bill Gates did. The only difference is that he did it with a web-service, while bill was doing it with software. Establishing your companies proprietary standards as common standard. The functionalities of Facebook were not really innovative at all. Back then a lot of these web-based platforms which combined text-messaging with micro-blogging existed. Some were technically even more advanced and respecting open standards.

| All together the main "success" of these innovators is to transfer public money and infrastructure to their companies. In fact they privatized things that were in public responsibility for a good reason. This happens right now everywhere: Technological innovations are used as an excuse to increase privatization and monopolization by using fancy marketing buzzwords.

| Conclusion: I'm going to found now the "Hyper-I-Wheel". with my company "Macrohard". In fact it's nothing but a fancy looking wheel like it is known for over thousands of years. But I will claim the rights on this idea because I added cool design to it. It will incompatible with any other wheels, not mechanical but by law. To mount it you need a special axis legally provided only by my company.
I will lure investors, with the great opportunity to make money out of nothing.

| >>473449
Industry will get a low cost version of this wheel. Thanks to marketing and lobby work free versions of wheels are considered to be out of date and not usable anymore. Mainstream-economists will treat me benevolent, as I just create a new market out of nothing - which their preferred system needs so badly to postpone its unavoidable collapse.

| Bad day huh?

| Did you just finished watching mr robot?

| The thing is that it's all well known. But most people are too stupid to care.

| >>474549 or we just don't care.

| >>474610
Which implies stupidity. I know what I said.

| >>475364 oh man look at me, I like to rant about other people's success and accuse them of my failure. I might be the smartest person alive.

| >>475367
Did I hurt your feelings?
Because if you were implying that I was accusing others of "my failure", you are ridiculously wrong. And that would also imply that they are successful, which I consider to be wrong too.
And why are you crying? I thought you didn't care.

| >>475367
Well, when it's my success to punch you in your face, you wouldn't rant about it and see it instead as your failure? Are you an Amish or what?

| >>473821
Yes, at work people finally started questioning windows as our preferred client OS because we have issues migrating from windows 7 (which support will finish in about one year) to 10.
I was so glad that even hardcore windows fans had to admit it's impossible to guarantee our institutions security and privacy standards (which in fact was already the case in previous versions, they just didn't want to understand it)

| At first I was pretty satisfied because finally all my unheard arguments against proprietary monopoly software were suddenly on the table. Until the new "I studied something with media and marketing" asshole guy came and convinced the leaders to switch to apple instead. I felt like "ok fuck you all, I quit this fucking helltrain" But then I calmed down as I don't need the others for my work plus I have the privilege to use whatever OS I want.

| >>475409
From now on I will just quit any meeting if they discuss apple issues. Except it is about buying the 100th ovwrpriced adaptor for apple shit. Then I'm going to jump on the table and laugh at them.

| >>472998
Okay.

| I am sincerely disappointed to see nobody has mentioned Thomas Edison in this thread yet. Really folks, the "Great Inventor" is more often than not a brand of personality cult.

>>475364
Beg to differ. When people wnat to believe something it's not a matter of how intelligent they are, but how badly they want to fool themselves & how good they are at it. "If only XYZ, then everything will be alright," or some such thing, & so people invent sources of hope to cope with despair.

| & frankly, the Great Inventor style doubles in some cases as a Great Fixer, the sort of person who can invent a solution to climate change or revolutionize through technology a society perceived to be sick & corrupt. Thus the attraction to men with an image like Musk.

| >>477049
I said that not caring implies stupidity, not that beliefs do. And one could could argue that self-criticism is a part of intelligence, too.

| Open source for the win!!!

| >>477155
You're wrong: Ignorance is strenght!
(And war is peace and slavery is freedom, welcome to 2018!)

| while I mostly agree with you, I would be hesitant to put Elon Musk into the same category as the others. while his products aren't new, they are making technologies more accessible and popular, especially Tesla. the other "inventors" here have a much less important impact in that category imo.

>reset bath areas

| >>477412
Em everyone mensioned made new technologies more popular
(Accessible at those prices??)

| OP THANK YOU. WE NEED REAL PROGRESS. MOORES LAW IS DEAD. WE LIVE IN A POST-MOORE ERA IN A VACUUM.

| >>477412 it's all the same thing, Elon Musk is just a Steve Jobs.

| we already knew that.

Total number of posts: 30, last modified on: Wed Jan 1 00:00:00 1542955203

This thread is permanently archived