danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Complement my programming knowledge

| Some time ago, I took an traditional intro to programming class, but my circumstances will no longer allow me to continue with my education in the same program. I am thinking about finishing up what im missing on my own. While doing research, I came accross these two options:
https://www.codecademy.com/pro/intensive/programming-with-javascript

https://www.udacity.com/course/intro-to-programming-nanodegree--nd000

| I remember I left off just before learning data arrays, and after conditionals. So, I want you guys to tell me which one of these is best for me and if you have any experience with these two since I dont want to pay a lot of money just to re learn everything just before getting to the juicy stuff. I could just read free ebooks, but I prefer this style of learning

| Not JavaScript. Even brainfuck is better.

| >>463386 what should I go learn instead? If I decide to go with Python, will I be able to apply what I learned on JavaScript?

| >>464113
JavaScript has a lot of flaws, and crazy people. It's the best way to learn bad practices.
Python is good, a lower level language like C too but is probably further away from JavaScript; it would however give you good practices.
There are also languages that compile to JavaScript (e.g. Clojurescript) while not being as bad.
And last there's WebAssembly, which can do the same as JavaScript, but better. And it's natively supported by web browsers.

| >>464113
Basically:
- Python for clean code and versatility
- C for strict learning
- ClojureScript and the like for transpilation
- WebAssembly for the better, "new JavaScript"

There are other, more obscure possibilities (like Python to JS transpiling and such), but those are - in my opinion - the possibilites that stand out the most.

| >>464119 great, thanks, i will try to find courses where i can practice and learn what is left for me to learn in phyton, the problem is that codeacademy does not offer the problems in the free version, it just gives the lessons and that is it, do you know of any places with ideas/proyects for python begginers??? I could try using youtube, but the ones i often find are hardcore af and assume you either know nothing, or you are already proficient with the language.

| >>464206
For Python, I'd advise looking at the core syntax on the official documentation. Then, try to find a small project to make (e.g. a simple "guess the number" game), and try to do it. If you encounter errors, a simple web search is usually enough to find the solutions. Then simply pick "bigger" projects progressively and you'll slowly learn all you need.
Just avoid everything related to Python 2 (=beware of old answers), and use a good IDE (e.g. PyCharm) to make things easy.

| You can also find many tutorials and books (*supposedly* paid) on the internet, but it's better (and easier) to jump into Python than to try to learn all before practicing. Just get familiar enough with usual control structures (loops...), then functions, then you can go on with object-programming. After that, it will come from experience, but will come quickly if you are motivated. And if you don't know what to do you can ask for help, you should find it quickly.

| Great, I will then begin with a few simple python proyects, and just one more thing, is Sublime text fine for using python?

| >>464328
Well, it should work, yeah. I prefer PyCharm as it is made for Python, but other editors should work too. PyCharm has a good code introspection so it will give a lot of info, so it's good to begin with, but not essential.

| How To Design Programs has a free online course I think?

| Js is fine.

| >>464382
If you want to become a shitty programmer and to plague computer science with one of the worst languages out there, sure.

| I hate js but if it's what you've spent time learning you might as well use it, there's a lot of people who hate it but don't worry about it too much op you can always pick up another language later and every language after the first is easier

| >>466332
No, that's the problem. JS is bad as a first language. It's like saying "it's ok if you learn to walk on your hands, if you want to start walking normally after that it will be easier".
No, it won't, on the contrary. JS isn't just any language, it's a language full of nonsense and errors. If you learn it, you'll have a lot of trouble forgetting all the stupid things you learnt.

| I suppose you're right, I didn't learn js as a first language and I'm sure I'd be a lot worse off if I did.

Well c# is great.

Total number of posts: 17, last modified on: Sat Jan 1 00:00:00 1542383414

This thread is permanently archived