danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Second screen wont be found by display menue in linux mint

| Any advice on hiw to fox that?

| Install Windows on the second screen. That way you'll have both operating systems.

| install arch

| There are so many possible faults and solutions that we can't help you unless you provide us with more information about your system.

If you use nvidia you can probably activate the second monitor in nvidia settings. Ati might have something similar.

Otherwise Google how to make xorg.c onf find the second monitor. This may be an outdated method according to some but it works.

| >>38932e do you use Arch btw?

| 1. Do you have a nvidia card and proprietary drivers installed?
2. Is your computer a laptop?
3. Does it probably have two graphic chips? (intel+nvidia)?

| You may find out your graphicscard with the following terminal command:
lspci |grep VGA

| What did you expect by using Linux?

| >>453942
Or manjaro for simplicity personaly prefer arch tho

| >>454111
That it works flawless ofc. Also, how do you know OPs problem is a Linux kernel problem? Maybe he just uses a shitty distr, hardware and/or drivers.

| >>454172
It was a shitty bait man, what is wrong with you?

| Probably a nvidia issue, I guess. If so get the proprietary drivers from their site.

| >>458245
Look kids, a typical windows user with its characteristic kindergarten psychology.

| >>453916
You still there OP? Would be nice to hear if your issue is solved. If not give us more info as I wrote in
>>454025 and>>454026.

| >>460765
Look kids, another Linux eliteist with a rather large stick up their arse.

| >>460776 >>460765
The thing is that Linux is objectively technically better.
All that Windows does better concerns ease of use and UX, but then MacOS does it better.
In the end the only reason Windows survives is because of the monopoly they earned through luck and dirty practices.

So I agree, saying that Linux is flawless is wrong. Saying that Windows is good is wrong too. But it's worse, and quite stupid, to insult people based on the software they use.

| >>460785
>But it's worse, and quite stupid, to insult people based on the software they use.
I think it's not an insult to point out that using windows is more but an individual choice, because it supports a > monopoly earned through luck and dirty practices.
Unfortunately a lot windows users don't even understand the problem, no matter how hard you try to explain - which I usually try. But I see no point in trying a serious discussion with baiters like >>5f1dc9

| >>460785
>So I agree, saying that Linux is flawless is wrong.
No one would seriously say that, other than >Windows is good
There are many people that actually really believe that. Because they are notorious resistant to facts. A phenomenon, which in these days is unfortunately also known in many other areas.

| Install i3wm and you'll lose the need for more than one screen.

| >>461891 ok prefer Linux but use osx, and windows as well and windows does have some good qualities, everything just works* if you're an average user, nearly every bit of commercial software is built for it, being the most common os has benefits if you need to pay for help any shop can help you but with Linux your likely better off trying on forms and such which some people don't have the time or even care to learn

| >>466335 not saying it's good but it has a use case

| >>466335
Windows doesn't work. It's the only system I know that will break even without any form of advanced use. It works more easily "out of the box", but then it becomes gradually worse and worse. It is hell to try to maintain a Windows system, most of the time the best amswer you can give to people who ask for help is "reinstall everything" because there's no hope left.

| >>466355
>It works more easily "out of the box"
Because it's preinstalled by computer shops^^ If cartel-law would be applicated to operating systems, computer sellers had to offer to preinstall any possible desktop OS for their customers.
It already starts in public institutions especially in schools and universities, where microsoft (and also apple, even more in the USA than in Europe) put much effort in lobby work. But since "free market" is nothing but a lie after all...

| >>466335
See, here the issue begins. Third partys have to offer service for a product they don't have full access to. If I support someones windows issues I'm working indirect for Microsoft without getting a cent from them. And I have to learn how to solve issues with a platform I have no interest in. As a result the whole Desktop-Computer sector is massively depended to one company at any level. From the small computer shop up to big companies and public institutions.

| Nevertheless all of this has nothing to do with OPs issue. I would like to help him but he did not respond :-( so i think this thread can be closed, can't it?

| >>466355 "break without any form of advanced use" my Linux box couldn't show the lock screen with the update from Ubuntu 18.04 to 18.10 just a black screen, and I know I'm not the only one :p

| >>466355 "break without any form of advanced use" my Linux box couldn't show the lock screen with the update from Ubuntu 18.04 to 18.10 just a black screen, and I know I'm not the only one :p

| >>467904 >>467905 my bad didn't show it posted

| >>467905
Considering that Ubuntu is the Linux distrib that tries the most to be close to Windows in terms of mentality, it doesn't surprise me. And an update isn't spontanous crashing.

| >>469413 I believe it's something with the Nvidia binary drivers and Wayland but don't quote me

| >>469413 in what way do you mean by closest to Windows in mentality, the whole "not invented here" or trying to sell machines with their os or...?

| >>469477
Ubuntu includes proprietary software just so that it will be "easy to use". It's something rarely seen in the Linux environment

| >>467904 >>467905
Your issue is an Ubuntu Issue, not a GNU/Linux issue. I run KDE-Neon (which is based on ubuntu, but with better default software from KDE) and it works just great. I also do only security upgrades Immediately and general upgrades per quarter year.
I also take care for alot of “normal users" who only do security upgrades. And they are pretty satisfied. In the end they mostly use Dolphin (the kde filemanager) Firefox, Thunderbird (some even Kmail) and LibreOffice.

| >>469545
Oh and I ALWAYS turn of automatic backround upgrades. Every user should understand how, why and that they should install it. Automatisms are a great thing, if you understand how and when they work. Else they are a pain in the ass for everyone. They can ease things, but also make them more complicated because they are much dumber than advertised and expected. If people want to be productive with a machine they still need at least some minimum knowledge about it.

| >>469545 I mean sure but Ubuntu is gnu Linux, the point was it's possible to run into strange issues on Linux too, most people know nothing about config files, what an update does, or even how to update.

>>469548 oh yeah I manually updated because I don't want to run lts releases so it's entirely my fault but, I expected something to break; I was surprised I only had to change a 1 to 0 to fix it TBH

| >>469489 makes sense but it could be argued that's a necessary evil if they Target windows users, should probably even come with wine if that's the case though

Total number of posts: 36, last modified on: Thu Jan 1 00:00:00 1542552703

This thread is permanently archived