danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Best all-around distro for WSL?

| Forced to use Windows 10 at work, but I still want to have a GNU environment on hand. What's the "best" distro in your opinion to use with the Windows Subsystem for Linux?

| I like Ubuntu, there is also normal Debian if you're into that. Not much else there. Unless you like suse

| WSL isn't GNU/Linux. It's just a copy that they developed by trying to reverse engineer the binaries.

WSL doesn't even have access to external devices yet. This is why trying to develop a proprietary copy of an already-existing open-source system is bad.

| Wsl distros are kinda crappy but probably would choose Debian or suse

| >>ff577f
It's open source, you don't need to reverse-engineer anything.

| >>411398 cool story bro, we all know that WSL is more like GNU/NT than GNU/Linux, you're preaching to the choir, gtfo, your bullshit post is irrelevant to OP's question
>>411547 why are they crappy? and why those two?

| >>412120
They are kinda crappy mainly because you have to download the main pkgs that would have come by default with the distro such as net tools and what not

Other than that its basicly the same as using cygwin

| >>412164
And btw I said Debian and suse BC I refuse to use Ubuntu BC of the powershell shit show

| Since Fedora STILL isn’t on the store, Debian is the only distro I can stand because fuck zypper and fuck canonical

| WSL sucks and slow.
I prefer running virtualbox instead.

| >>411548 it's open source, but Microsoft wants it completely closed-source/proprietary. Their developers aren't even allowed to look at the code.

| Ws- what?
Use proper virtualisation and get out of all this stupidity that is being thrown around lately.

| >>412164 so basically they're more like minimal installs?

>>412167 are you referring to a bug where you can't install powershell core on ubuntu on wsl?

>>412458 really? Virtualization is more performant than WSL? What virt software do you use?

| >>412769 Any virtualisation will do if there is hardware support for it. Let me mention vmware, xen and kvm. Any will do, really, the differences are minor, and even virtualbox is really good. Your bottleneck is I/O pipes: disk, network, data bus.
Virtualisation IS better than wsl. So much so that it is used industrially everywhere. When more muscle is needed, then bare metal is used.

Wsl. Lol

| >>413449
The above post was actually meant to be a reply for the post indicated here. The new fonts are funny and confusing, difficult to tell short posts appart.

| >>413602 what about a laptop with only 8GB RAM, would you still recommend virtualization over WSL?

Your post is kinda confusing tbh. The use case here is just a desktop or laptop PC running Windows 10. I'm not gonna be running servers here. The language in the last two sentences of your post sound like you're referring to rack servers or something like that.

Also what does "the differences" are minor" mean? Virtualization is a little bit less performant?

| Although, I haven't tested it, I have a feeling that WSL will use up less resources than virtualization, since it's just a compatibility layer.

| >>413799 yeah, but it's slow

| >>411320 anyway why would any distro be "better" or "worse"?

Total number of posts: 19, last modified on: Wed Jan 1 00:00:00 1538412747

This thread is permanently archived