danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Whelp Linux is dead

| Rest in pieces Linux

| Rip in Peace Linux

| Gib F to pay respect

| What happened?

| >>409587 folks are triggered by the devs adopting a policy saying they don't have to work with harassers/assholes

| It's fine, we still have the superior brain and knowledge

| >>409596
That's... not a bad thing

| >>409596 I feel like it depends how that's worded if it's justified or not

| Also this is a quality meme being that Linus is kind of an asshole

| Is it 'cause of Torvald's bad behavior towards other developers?

| ITT: Conservative assholes, the most easily triggered special snowflakes in the entire fucking earth.

It doesn't even take insulting them to make them triggered, it only takes telling them not to insult other people.

Meanwhile, the entire conservative asshole schtick consists in telling other people what they should or should not do.

CAPTCHA: NOBLE ACRID NERDS

| >>409746
What's your point? Should any speech that's potentially offensive be banned? We have to risk offending eachother in order to have meaningful conversations.

If you seriously think the people taking over FOSS projects like a wildfire are harmless then you might want to read their actual manifesto: https://postmeritocracy.org/

Their grand witch Coraline Ada makes it very clear that they're trying to take over and that it's a political act. These people are malicious.

| >>409756
That manifesto... doesn't seem like a bad thing?

| >>409770
They're literally arguing against meritocracy. According to them. Not anymore should people who are the most talented, hardworking and skilled be rewarded the most, because that system is apparently one which benefits the "priviledged".

| >>409847
Currently little, if you don't contribute to any Free Software project. What does affect us however is this ideology propagating to the general public. The idea that the whole world is just a power struggle between the Oppressor and the oppressed. They want to overthrow the very values which made 1st world countries what they are; Lands of opportunity. Work and learn hard and earn accordingly (meritocracies).

| >>409847
Their ideas extinguish the very thing they apparrently want to achieve, participation of minorities in positions of power. They inherently assume that a minority couldn't possibly achieve anything themselves and that they need to be assisted. Now that is truly racist. Merit is the key to opportunity anyone can achieve -- and they want to banish it while simultaneously pretending to stand up for minorities -- shame on them.

| >>409856 >>409858
Wow your ideas and worldview are tainted with ideology.
Also almost all you said is a bunch of horseshit.

| >>409860
>having an opinion is ideology
Feel free to point out what I got wrong about the CoC folk.

| >>409981 I'm gonna jump in and point out that the other person is basically using Jordan Peterson's arguments

He believes the far/regressive left setting everything up as a group oppressed vs oppressor is dangerous, oppressed would be minorites woman anyone not white, and oppressor are generally white men, (this carries the idea you can't be racist against white people) and that looking at people as their groups (male, black, etc) 1/2?

| >>410015 isn't a good idea (not super familiar with this and a lot of Jordans stuff worded strangely) I believe the point the other person was making is that if you see everything as oppressor oppressed you lose sense of the individual and everything starts to look like a problem.

That said I didn't bother to read the thing linked so I could be reading into this wrong

| Just read a few lines of it, seems to be saying that hiring people based on how good they are at what they do is a bad thing

| "Meritocracy (merit, from Latin mereō, and -cracy, from Ancient Greek κράτος kratos "strength, power") is a political philosophy which holds that certain things, such as economic goods or power, should be vested in individuals on the basis of talent, effort, and achievement, rather than factors such as sexuality, race, gender, or wealth.[1] Advancement in such a system is based on performance, as measured through examination or demonstrated achievement" so this is what they dislike

| >>3855f0 Ding, ding, ding. Have you never asked yourself why HR, a bunch of non-engineers, is involved in hiring engineers at all, at so many places these days? It's not about productivity of the company anymore, but certain people gaining power within.

However let's all chill down a bit and see what happens. It's likely just a corporate takeover and companies like to pretend meritocracy for profits.

| >>409596 yeah this is what everyone thought, before>>410035 This guy gave some wikipedia.txt , thank you g/u/rl.
>>410084 So basically this is the conclusion we can get.
But bruh, it starts getting not funny at all that they go with the sjw flag so everyone says ok, but in reality they do the very thing they say they are against.

| Linux isnt dead. It's a free software project. If you dont like it, fork it, you whiny assholes.

| Just to be clear; if you think that this isn't an attack on "priviledged" white males, then you might want to take a look at what the CoC folks head honcho has to say:
https://my.mixtape.moe/nxewmb.jpg

| Why should we care what some random ppl on the internet are saying anyway? Don't the devs have a right to exclude people who are being assholes? Seems like you're changing the subject to act like it's some kind of made up sjw plot

| Linux will never die well it's gonna be a while before it does anyway

| >>410193
>like it's some kind of made up sjw plot
That's quite literally what is going on. Their tranny leaders stated very clearly that they're on a political mission.

| >>410142
Word.

| >>410199

What's the problem here, trannies are not allowed political objectives or what?

| >>410229
They sure are. But their goal is a systematic change of a system which has worked for decades to combat the very thing they're doing themselves. How many times do I need to reiterate the same thing? It's very clear what they're doing.

| Virtue signaling retards are trying to force nepotism through their backwards ideology.

It's like they want another Gamergate.

One can only hope that people fork it and exclude any idiots.

| >>410193 I wasn't trying to change anything just give some context for the link that was posted, I'm actually curious about what new thing they adopted and where I can find it if someone would be so kind as to give a link with context

| Alright since no one wanted to post the change I found it, https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=8a104f8b5867c682d994ffa7a74093c54469c11f

| By itself the change appears to have nothing wrong with it, It does appear to share some language with the 'sjws' but doing so doesn't mean that Linux is now run by sjws, my personal opinion is that open source projects should have nothing to do with the person and everything to do with the code, Preventing people from insulting others isn't a terrible thing and it's unlikely to snowball with Linus at the head 1/?

| The future will depend on how these things are enforced, we may not see people banned for saying something offensive on their personal Twitter but it's possible we will and until we do it's best not to overreact and wait for what changes actually happen.

I have a feeling Linus is still going to be kind of a dick a year from whenever he comes back and the new coc will be reverted, or ignored for him alone.

I severally doubt Linus is going to become a die hard sjw because of this

| Just to reiterate, the change alone doesn't signal any political leaning, the person who wrote it does, but by itself it's just words it all depends on the enforcement, I personally doubt Linux is going to become a criticism free zone and believe the intent is only to prevent personal attacks and needless insults, code is King, if we can't criticize code then Linux will fall, be forked, and surpassed.

I look forward to others thoughts on this change

| >>409756 I believe you've read too far into this change, yes the people who created the template appear as you portray, however the kernel team do not appear to have been forced into this change, this change does not mean Linus and the rest of the kennel team agree with the politics of the people who created the template, unless you have some evidence of the contrary

| there is nothing wrong with their statement, if it triggers some incel right wingers so be it.

| >>410460
>code is King
>if we can't criticize code then Linux will fall, be forked, and surpassed.
Thanks g/u/rl!!!
Get a digital hug <3

| >>410652 <3

| >>409756
I could accept most points they enlist, but this one is problematic to me:
>Our professions do not define us; we are more than the work we do.
Seems like esoteric bullshit to me. To me profession is one of the most elementary characteristic of a person. The other one is the political orientation/motivation.

| >>409756 imho banning any potentially offensive speech is absurd, exactly because of what you said, but this is what happens worldwide. In most aaa games, it already is, for example you can get banned in r6 for "nibba". But it's not so problematic since you still can talk freely in places like here, so it isnt so problematic. The CoC isnt bad itself, and it wouldnt be so "popular" if it wouldnt have a link where they give racist ideas but says it's good because they are sjw

| >>411086
I mean you just open a tab with postmeritocracy and a tab with racism in wikipedia, personally i found a lot of "coincidences"

| >>410193
> Signed-off-by: intel dev
> Signed-off-by: FB dev
> etc.
>>410111 is right about this being a corporate takeover. This isn't the first time corporations take control over an FOSS Project by using SJWs as their mouthpiece.

| hearye hearye, come one come all

lets fuck linus

| Linux will be fine

| >>411159 Linus himself signed off on it

| >>411068 just going to point out this isn't directly related to the topic, your talking about the political ideology of the people who wrote the code of conduct which the Linux kernel team adopted completely independently

| >>409856
Sorry to rain on your parade, but there never was a meritocracy. Those 1st world countries you speak of became so rich and nice because they made wars to the rest of the world for centuries. And before you bring in Germany, it was given a lot of money after ww2 as it was a front and stage for fighting comunism hard at the time.
Meritocracy. A tale for putting children to sleep.

| >>411453 so you're saying the idea of being rewarded based on competence doesn't exist?

| >>411457
Hum... I'm not sure that's what makes a meritocracy... I'll check for myself real quick...

| >>411457
Meritocracy only means giving power to those with merit.
It's not about rewarding.
Nothing to do with competence either, I believe...
I'm not even sure "meritocracy" is being used according to its definition, here...

| So basically, no one is raining in anyone's parade ^^"

| >>411561 have you read more than the first line of wikipedia? Because its all written there. Its a whole ideology that people in power should be chosen not by race/sex but "on the basis of talent, effort" also in "definition" its written that one of the definitions is rewarding according to efforts and not to race/sex/ethymology. But the problem here is not even that they are against that utopian idea, but they say its racist/sexist when it's the opposite.

| >>411561 you're correct that the definition uses merit, I believe the quality that is the most meritorious in most things is competence, rewarding in my comment was about giving power or resources to those with merit, so we're not actually in that much of a disagreement as far as I can tell

| >>411573
You used a wider definition. Silple as that. You're being permissive with yourself and not others. No point in that.

| I hope this thread dies because it's all whiny bullshit

| >>412117 humans love to complain, some of this is discussion, much is complaining, such is any topic when posted on the internet

| I like how the commies have glazed over the attempted coup to remove the meritocratic nature of linux's development by trying to minimize the CoC harassment policy as something innocuous when in fact it's the inverse of the velvet revolution. We saw this happen with Mozilla and look where Firefox went chromifying itself. We now see Linus being bullied out of the very projects he created all so some ideologues can push their highly opinionated garbage upon us.

| >>412321 I like how you called me a communist

| Instead of actually forming any argument you just insult me and say it's a coup without any evidence of that, you say we've seen this with Mozilla chromifying Firefox, how does that relate to a code of conduct exactly, and why is Firefox being more like chrome, a more popular browser, a bad thing, and you say Linus was bullied out of the Linux kernal, you're going to need evidence for that because he signed off on the change.

| >>412339
Something being popular does not imply that it is good as far as privacy and performance is concerned.

| >>412339
>popular
>good
No.
>chrome isn't bad
Fuck off back to reddit shill.

| >>412363 most people don't care about privacy and likely don't know what to do with performance metrics

| >>412409 again, please form an argument instead of just insulting me this gets us nowhere

| >>412363 to clarify my thought a bit, I believe Firefox being more like chrome isn't a bad thing because chromium has about 60 something percent of the market, if Firefox can get slightly closer to looking or feeling like chrome then I think the chance of retaining the users who try Firefox coming from chrome is higher as if it's setup similar they have to learn less.

Multi process didn't exist in FF until after chrome had it, so we should define "becoming like chrome" first

| >>412485
So, I kinda read all that, and didn't understand how anything bad is happening :/

| I mean maybe I'm dumb! Heh!

| Now that Linux is dead, can we look forward to the year of the *BSD desktop?

| >>412508
Not if it's FreeBSD, that's CoCk'ed aswell.

| Wow this thread is still running

| >>412553
Running so damn fast!

| >>412503
At first it doesn't seem like it's going to change much, but think about it.
When handling a project as large as this, being nice to everyone and allowing shitty code to exist in the kernel in fear of breaching the CoC means Linux's quality is going to keep dropping indefinetely, until it's nothing BUT shit code.

| >>412677
How does CoC mean shitcode?
CoC is for interaction between people.
It's not a means to filter out code, is it?

| >>412682
No it is not. But when judging and deciding the ability and quality of a developer based on how much he likes to use words like cock, pussy, fuck, bitch, slut, wanker, etc, that means time is going to be spent on bullshit like this and on being careful how to be politically correct. More than writing code and venting out frustration with those words. Because some assholes feel emotionally injured by that. Fuck them. Gape their asses and fill it with vinegar!

| >>412698 that's my fetish

| >>412682
I never said it means shit code. CoC will indirectly cause shit code because of what >>412698 said, and because people, when a CoC exists, it means that someone will definetely get banned from contributing if someone else got "offended" by them. Therefore, no one is ever going to challenge anyone's code. Why do you think Linux has survived this long? Because Linus filters the code himself and discards anything that isn't near perfect, giving devs incentive to improve.

| There must be more people like him, and less of this Code of Conduct shittery to help nurse the fucking crybabies who shame the notion of a man.

| ITT: "Speaking to others in a derogatory fashion is necessary for quality open source OS development!"

smh

| Challenging someone's code has nothing to do with being offensive or not. You decide what way you challenge it in.
If you oppose to code, provide reasons. That's enough. No infringement to any CoC whatsoever, because you pointed out the flaws. No need to be a prick and throw in some shittalk garbage.
Rejecting people's ideas has nothing inherently offensive.

| >>412774
You're really missing the point here.

| >>412905
That's exactly why they were pointing this out.

| >>47ff58 arguments were formed but you stick your fingers in your eyes and refuse to address them.

| >>413424 which arguments did I not address

| I just switched to Ubuntu from Windows, and also got Xubuntu. I don't want this to end when it just started.

| >>413743 it won't, it's nearly impossible for it to, even if Linus wanted to break the kernal we'd just fork it

| >>409856 >>409858 >>409860 >>410015 That is post mordenist ideas, Peterson was really vocal against them really smart guy. They are SJW and all you have to do to check that out is to look to their twitter profile and yes they don't have good itentions behind these CoC their shitty ideology spread around the world like wildfire and fucked some coutries like mine.

| >>413862 Peterson is a shit neo reactionary "philosopher" who is fascist lite. I wouldn't look up to him. Btw being a little nicer in teems of conduct isn't sjw only thing.

| >>413891 you have no clue what you're on about. Either bait or you have not done research or have malicious intent.

Which of his views are faschist? I'm curious, because of what I heard and read about him is in no way what you are describing.

| >>413862 yes, I've given you that but as I said the coc itself isn't going to make Linus and the rest of the kernal team agree whole heartedly with those ideas, so you need to give proof that Linus and the rest of the team share those ideas, and then you can make your point as to why this will kill Linux

| >>413891 not sure if this context helps but the people who wrote the coc also run a site against the idea of meritocracy

| >>413891
>Petterson is facist-lite.
So everything right of Stalin is facism now... I see.

| >>414319 >>413930
Every reactionary and altright supporter is fascist-lite. Or should I say fascist enabler. His worldview aligns with classical liberalism’s elitist and antidemocratic tendencies, as epitomized by Ludwig von Mises and Friedrich von Hayek’s respective praise for Benito Mussolini and Augusto Pinochet.In his view the world is divided between winners and losers.This authoritarian worldview naturalizes domination, weaving hierarchy into the very fabric of existence. Etc

| Guys we have a second thread for this, please go there

| >>414363 if you had done any research, you'd know he's anything but authoritarian. Whole reason he got media attention at first was because he refused authoritarianism. You're viewing him through a twisted angle. Calling him fascist enabler is also a joke. If you had seen any of his lectures, you'd be aware he highly opposes faschism.

I'm not angry or upset, I'm simply disappointed in people that have so much hate for others trying to help people have better lives.

| >>414363 what if I think the alt right are just as dumb as the alt left/sjw/regressive left/whatever still an enabler?

| >>414417 https://tinyurl.com/y9xfsgh6

| >>414517 That article is misleading and at best, misunderstands what Peterson is all about.

| >clicking shortened links in current year

| >>414650
Asking for a deathwish

| >>414363 I bet he attacked your ideology, now you want to paint him black so you can attack him somehow, the thing is that not only your paint won't stick, but you are showing yourself to be hurt.

| Yes Linus was a dick but letting get controlled by sjw won't solve a damn thing it will only create more trouble.

| >>415294 This is psychological projection and it's not even subtle.

| >>415295
There is no way solving a damn thing without having trouble.

| >>414517 >>414650
Thanks for this great article. It's worth reading it.

| >>414363
>I'm a spoiled little brat that calls everyone fascist when I don't get my way. This behavior wasn't grown out of when I became an adult. I'm a real joy to be around and if you're a guy I might call you a rapist just for fun.

| Hey using Linux on my laptop and Phone. It seems pretty alive and well to me

| >>415633
It's funny that Rightwingers started calling leftists "fascists" while complaining about beeing called fascist.
Also right wingers support surveillance, police and military when it's about fighting "foreigners" and "left extremists". But if it's about rich old white man crimes they complain about evil leftist stalinist orwell estate.

A bit doublethinky, isn't it?

| >>415903 >all the ideas I don't like are just one guy from side I don't like

There are many people with different ideas that sometimes agree on one and do not on others.

Even centrists call left wingers faschists.

In the end, anyone authoritarian is mostly bad. Left or right or any spectrum of autism.

I've seen people callig themselves all kinds of political leanings but their behaviour was as faschists as they claimed to fight against. From left to right.

| How in holy hell is this thread still going??

| >>415956 because politics are cancer my friends

| >>415903 I mean that's a strawman so yes it's a bit dumb, I'd say most right wing people want less regulation or government oversight, most of the right wing people I know also don't like surveillance though the politicians do, and they generally do seem to be pro military but not everyone agrees that we should still be bombing the middle East

| Politics is never as simple as "they think bad thing" and it's dangerous to portray the other side as such, that goes for everyone

| >>415956
bump limit is 250 newfriend

| >>415903
Did you forget the bungling moron who expanded the patriot act AND put forth policy to mark all who protect the US government as terrorists was indeed a democrat. Unless you want to say Obama wasn't a Democrat. You can call me a fascist but that doesn't make it true.

| >>415972
>I'd say most right wing people want less regulation or government oversight
This is rich right wingers talking. In practise they are corrupt, using estate intervention for their personal benefit and promise law and order and estates protection to dumb masses, especially when it's about fighting evil leftists and foreigners.
>Even centrists call left wingers faschists.
Centrists are mistly right-wingers in disguise, like neoliberals.

| >>416264
The most democrat leaders are no leftists. They are neoliberals that believe that a free market is the only basis for a free society. Except for the healthcare program Obama only did neoliberal politics. And the result is trump. In every neoliberal dominated country right extremism is on the rise, while even moderate leftists are considered to be evil communists, stalinists, maoists and "the true fascists".

| LUL

| >>416583
I'm positive Obama was the "consequence" of Obama, and Trump just happened to be there when Obama couldn't be a "consequence" again. Kek.

| And you can't fork Trump to make a better Trump.
You can fork linux to make a better linux, however...

| Blah blah blah

| "Linux is dead". What an inane phrase

Total number of posts: 124, last modified on: Wed Jan 1 00:00:00 1539010606

This thread is permanently archived