danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
9front.org

| I got interested in this little project, but I can't wrap my mind why is their website so fucked up?

It looks like a repository of cryptic messages they leave for themselves rather than informing visitors what 9front thing is about.

Also their documentation unreadable as fuck.

| (1/2) Just did a tiny bit of digging and it seems like 9front is a unix-like OS based on plan 9, which is an early (and seemingly abandoned) fork of unix that was developed as a side project. Interesting.

On the documents, I sort of do the same thing when documenting my hobby projects, write stuff down purely for the sake of having it if shtf. Since it seems like there is really only one dev, the documentation is just meme'd bullshit with important info that only they can find.

| (2/2) As for the OS, it looks like something made to do all the little shitty things that needs to be done when coding a larger project, such as debugging, testing, sending/receiving files with other members, documenting changes, etc. (see http://fqa.9front.org/fqa1.html#1.8 ) But they also threw in some fun stuff to kill time (like doom).

IMHO, the website was supposed to be just a place to put the shit they didn't want to organize and the project is an OS made for other projects

| (3/2)

TLDR:
project: operating system for making things easy

| >>408629 thanks

| >>408629
So it's useless garbage, specially if the documentation is atrocious.

| >>408643 I wouldn't say useless. it makes sense to the devs, and by the way they phrased the faq page, they don't seem to really care about making things user friendly for outsiders.

| Well peeps on 4chong have been bumping it lately, and I got curious.

>>408623
>>408628
>>408629

Thanks! I guess I was expecting something else.

| >>408658 It *looks* like it is capable of (or possibly designed for) far more than I could find. The dev seemed suspiciously and conveniently vague when explaining parts of it, which makes me think it is designed for less than innocent tasks. It also can read an insanely wide variety of files in different ways, as well as interface with computers and devices across networks and stuff like that.

Possibly a pentesting toolkit?

| It's a fork of Plan9 which was a continuation of Unix, not a new Unix-like OS. The 9front project was started so that some of the original Plan 9 devs could continue working on it along with help from the open source community. It's mostly an academic thing but the goal is to one day make it something you could actually use.
It's certainly not a pentesting kit. You were probably reading about the 9P protocol or the distributed aspects of the OS.

| >>409052 Right, that's what I was trying to say, that its a fork of plan9.

And yes, I sorta figured that it was a pentesting kit from the fact that it can access basically anything on a network or physically, read and write most file types, and the 9P protocol. However its just a possibility.

Total number of posts: 11, last modified on: Sun Jan 1 00:00:00 1537536671

This thread is permanently archived