danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Any thoughts about godot?

| I was searching for a good game engine lately and found out that there is godot, a free game engine with a MIT license and that has nearly the same features than unity. But somewhy there is no good games made on it, only indie memes.
Am i missing something? If it really is so cool, why everyone is still on unity?

| Just use the Corona SDK for Lua

| >>407140 yours is even less known, so can you give some arguments at least?

| >>407162
Lua ist Like the fastest scripting language, easy to read, and pretty clean.
https://coronalabs.com/
With corona you can make games for Android, iOS, windows and Mac OS.

| >>407163
I like Löve. It's an open source 2d game engine where you write Lua too. It's pretty simple to use and the community is very nice. :) https://love2d.org/

| >>407175
Corona seems like it has more features than Löve tho
Like why would you use Löve instead of Corona?

| Busy working on a game in godot atm actually, Godot is simultaneously amazing and infuriating at the same time.

It has a lot of neat capabilities but there are a few issues with it, it really is great for beginners to make simple games. I used to use Unity but switched to godot because godot handles pixel art so much better.

Godot is getting a lot better by the day, I'm sure in due time is going to be one of the best game engines out there.

| >>407345 but what if i am not such a beginner, should i go for it now? Does is handle 3d at least as good as unity?

>>407163
I trust you that this engine may be ultra fast (though its still just a script, rendering is not very related to it). But I want a game engine which i would be sure that it can handle aaa 3d games. Btw i haven't seen any "not indie crap" game made on corona nor godot, it's making me doubts about it.

| >>407367
Godot's kinda clunky with 3D last I tried it. You're still better off with Unity.

And yeah, most public game engines are only used by indies, duh. Big companies tend to have in-house engines, or use professional tools because they can afford it. Doesn't mean small engine games are always gonna be shit.

| I'm still waiting for him...

| >>407367
I wouldn't say it handles 3D as good as unity... It's had a massive overhaul on its 3D pipeline since 3.0 and is much better than before, but if you are someone who is experienced I do feel you're going to find some things frustrating in godot.

Honestly I don't have much experience with the 3D editor, I've been focusing primarily on its 2D engine which is the best I've used, if you really want to make 3D AAA looking kind of games, I don't think godot is the right choice.

| Not yet anyways. Like I said before, Godot is constantly improving, I feel it'll eventually be as good as unity with the added bonus of being completely open source.

| Godot looks promising with each update tbh.

| >>407422
Waiting for Godot <3

| >>407140
>nonfree
>no linux support
Trash.

Total number of posts: 15, last modified on: Sat Jan 1 00:00:00 1537369470

This thread is permanently archived