danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Manjaro?

| Is Manjaro good for a beginner casual Linux user or should I stick with Mint?

| >>362826
You should stick with KDE Neon.

| >>362826
I think Manjaro is suitable for beginners, but you might have a better time with an Ubuntu-based distro

| >>363139
>but you might have a better time with an Ubuntu-based distro
Why would that be so?

| >>363299
Larger community = more help. (Even thought it lacks of quality compared to distros like arch, which has an awesome wiki)

| >>362826
if you are feeling adventurous, want to really learn, have time and patience, I would suggest gentoo. They have a really good installation handbook. You will learn in one week with gentoo more than in years using another distribution. I personally dislike the idea that beginners are not capable of learning it quickly. It just requires some careful reading of the handbook.

| >>363369
Most people don't want to read Handbooks. I admit that often it would be better or even is unavoidable to achieve greater goals. On the other hand, there are some limitations a handbook offers. Studying it is pretty theoretical and happens on an abstract level. Learning by doing has also it's didactic value. I spend much time solving problems I would not have if I read/followed a handbook. But it offered me a much deeper understanding of the matter in the end.

| >>363369
Is there any reason to install a distro with a harder learning curve if you have no problem with much easier distros?

| >>364027
Depends. If you want to become a system administrator, a hacker or a good developer you benefit much from the hard way.

| Manjaro Xfce user here. It is the first permanent linux install that I made, I just used liveCD/liveUSB before. I must say I'm pretty happy with it, it's going well.

| >>364357
>OP here.
Good to hear. I'm not sure I'll be migrating from Windows, but messing around with Manjaro in a VM has been fun.

| >>363430
True. But the approaches are not exclusive: you can always do both. In fact, it is what I suggested, to install it reading the handbook. You can, and you will be asked to deviate from the proceedings described.

| >>364027
Yes. You will be given more opportunity to learn. Just the installation process will teach you many things that otherwise you would not hear about. Most distros have no-go zones: you are not supposed to change or fiddle with it. This means that you cannot learn it correctly. So, it is not about a learning curve. It is about having a system that permits you to learn.

Total number of posts: 13, last modified on: Tue Jan 1 00:00:00 1531868943

This thread is permanently archived