danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Linux is not better than windows

| Change my mind

| Before we do that, do you mind elaborating why GNU/Linux is not better than Windows, or is this just a shitpost?

| I'm here so that you can change my mind and tell me why you think linux is better than windows

| Also I'm not saying that linux is bad the title is just there to try and get people to click on this

| >>360802 There's a thousand threads like this in the archive. Read through those

| Linux is just meme, OP.

| >>360780
Linux and Windows are not directly comparable. Why?

Linux is a OS kernel that may be extended with additional software to a full desktop, server or mobile operating system. These compositions are called "derivates", which itself are splitter into "distributions".

Windows comes either as a desktop or a server system, not only with a kernel (NT) but also with a desktop and additional software, all developed by one company.

| >>361635
You can also look at it like they both run programs you're going to be using daily

| >>360780
>>361635
So your question would make sense if you would ask:
Why is Linux (or more in general: are unixoids) technically better than DOS/NT?
OR
Why is Linux-Distro X better than Windows(-server)?

This is just technically.
Politically/Ethically/Economically it's also about open source and free software vs. proprietary.

| >>361638
I use KDE neon daily and on my job.
I switched 20 years ago from windows (i grew up with DOS) to a linux distro because it's more open, free, modular, stable and practical. I had dual boot for over 5 years for playing games. Fortunately "wine" made a big progress (and also me, mastering it) so that there is no need for dualboot anymore to me.

| In short:

On proprietary plattforms (like ms windows) users possibilities are limited by the companies decisions.

On open/free platforms (like GNU/Linux) users possibilities are limited by his knowledge (and of course the hardware)

| >>361650 but on windows I can also do whatever i want as long as I know how to do it

| >>361651
No you can't. There are limits, and the limitations increase with each version of windows. The future of proprietary Sofware and services is just to have a tv-alike consumer system.
Of course you can argue, that you can modify/customize your system without limits by reverse engineering or hacking it. But I prefer to have an open documented system based on open standards.
There are many things that are easier and sustainable on linux-based systems, than on windows.

| >>361651 >>361738
Example: If I am not happy with decisions a linux-distributor makes, I have the freedom to migrate to another distributor. What do you if microsoft implements functions you don't want to have and you don't can turn off? Or what if they remove functions you need, or if they make them optional accessible for money? You can't change the distributor. Migration to another system is nearly impossible, due to the lack of free standards.

| >>361741 I can always decide to revert back to a version that I'm happy with

| >>361742
On the long term you have to swallow the new versions, since the support for old ones exceeds. I was fine with windows xp, but it would be an immense security risk to use it these days. Not only the system itself, but also the software that is available for it is discontinued.

| >>361738
Well said. People who argue that you can do anything on Windows clearly have never read the highly restrictive EULA. Proprietary Software is not a freedom hackers friend.

| >>361742 >>361746
The issues around windows 8 and windows 10 just confirmed me in my descision to switch to linux and get independent from microsoft.

| >>361751
Don't get me wrong. Even in the Linux world not everything is perfect and free. I am a bit trapped in the debian/ubuntu convience. If canonical or debian does things i'm not ok with, it's also connected with work to switch to another distributor (e.g. arch, rhel, centos, etc.) But at least it's possible. A company or a community could even fork a distro and avoid things they won't have from the former distributor.

| That's why it is called "free as in freedom" and not "free as in free beer".
Freedom always has it's price. To have many possibilties to choose from is a good thing, but it prequisites to turn your brain on and knowledge. But this is still better than having no choice at all. And this is what microsoft/windows is often about: lock you in in their range of products.

| >>360792 you are a faggot if you use windows, get mind changed, repent

| >>361863 you are so pulling me in to the idea of using linux right now

| I haven't been using linux for long but. Thing i noticed recently when there was a power cut, UPS activated and my desktop didn't flicker and freeze when the power to only one monitor was cut.
(I know not something crucial but was quite happy that i didn' have to deal with windows display handeling)

I just find that even if you are not interested in the amazing personalization, freedom and optimization i have encountered with linux theres plenty of well designed little things

| >>361863
I'm sure with "faggot" you mean "branch or twig, or bundle of these" (like fascines/fasces), which is the origign of the term "fascism". I would agree on that: using windows is supporting fascism. Using linux on the other hand:
https://tinyurl.com/yb8mjwg7 ;-)

Or do you mean "faggot" in the sense of biker guy with a loud machine driving trough towns? In this case, I'm afraid I cannot agree with the discrimination of this minority!

| >>361894 something else to go along with this, windows 10 still can not show your lock screen on both screens one will be black, Ubuntu has been able to display and move the lock to the active screen for years.

In full screen applications windows will move all of you windows if you run it at anything other than native, Linux keeps everything where it was and works perfectly fine

| The windows desktop has issues that m$ doesn't care to fix, that's why Linux/open source is good you can fix it yourself without running the risk if breaking the dmca

| >>361932 should say both those apply to multi monitor only

| >>361932 just wanna ask who gives even a single fuck about dmca

| >>361942
The law of a nation which is known for giving a high priority to its company interests and also for spending much ressources into surveilance.

| >>362125
and military.

| >>361942 Microsoft's lawyers presumably

Total number of posts: 31, last modified on: Thu Jan 1 00:00:00 1531628156

This thread is permanently archived