danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
what is best Linux distro for general user?

| discuss

| First elaborate what a "general user" is. There's dozens of good GNU/Linux distros, each fit for different workflows and computing philosophies.

| >>360667 a student who browses a net a lot and consumes a lot of media for example.

| >>360684
Okay, so much for the use cases. But what're his workflows? Or better said, what's he ready to put up with? If it's literally browsing the web and watches chinese cartoons using MPV or VLC then KDE Neon or Ubuntu should be sufficient.

| Mint Cinnamon
no discuss

| >>360698
>>360667
>He likes to use big boy words.

| >>360881
Should I use Windows user vocabulary instead?

| Mint Cinnamon.
Lightweight and is everything you ever need.

| KDE Neon.
End of discussion.

| >>361605

| I think I'm this kind of user.

I'm using Manjaro with the Plasma desktop and I'm very satisfied with it so far, Plasma broke in a earlier version, but this time it seems more stable.

Debian could be a better option for some people, as it has the biggest applications repository, just make sure you download the ISO with privative drivers if necessary (I had a problem with that)

Also, I would recommend the experimental build, just because you get newer programs with more functions.

| Ubuntu is a nice place to start.

| >>360684
Well you need at least a desktop with a web-browser, a audio/video player and a picture viewer.
Since almost any linux-dexktip distro provides vlc player and Firefox, I think choice doesn't matter.

But if...
- you like it more Apple alike get a plain ubuntu or xfce desktop (e.g. xubuntu).
- you want it lightweight and oldschool windows alike get lxfce/lxqt (lubuntu)
- you need a more productive and customizable system get kxstudio or kde-neon (which may merge in future)

Total number of posts: 13, last modified on: Sat Jan 1 00:00:00 1531779346

This thread is permanently archived