danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
If I disable Ubuntu diagnostics is there anything to be concerned about?

| After checking the thread that vaguely described what's going on I did a little more research of the Ubuntu date collection. As long as I opt-out is there any reason to worry? Should I change distros?

| Nah you're fine my gal

| >As long as I opt-out is there any reason to worry?
No.

>Should I change distros?
Yes, install NixOS.

| Whats NixOS

| Install trisquel. It's free from binary, proprietary blobs that usually are included in linux kernels.

| >>353621
Declarative linux distro

| >>357683
Correct. And to make it understandable for mere mortals:
It's a distro where you have one simple file and the system builds itself around that file automagically. For example "services.xserver.windowManager.i3.enable = true;" will automatically build a ready to use (yet fully customizable i3wm desktop environment). Do not mistake it for a kiddy "distro-builder" tool. Its DSL is immenensly powerful. Ok that went on a immortal tangent, appologies.

| Ubuntu is a disaster, get a better distro!

| >>357692
... And that's useful because?

| >>358035
Because normal OSes are prone to break, or at least "age". Every OS I've used has degraded over the years due to mutability. This is where NixOS is superior. It is immutable and only ever has one state, namely the one you declare in your configuration.nix. Thus, a NixOS installation does not age or degrade. Along with that, NixOS allows for full atomic rollbacks in case something breaks or you'd want to revert to an earlier state. This results in a naturally more stable OS

| >>358043
I run my desktop since (k)ubuntu 12.04. I never reinstalled it and upgraded it continiously. Now it is a well working KDE Neon with Kxstudio repositorys, all based on ubuntu 16.04.
I'm looking forward to upgrade it to 18.04 as soon stable kxstudio repos are available for it.
So, compared to windows it's possible to maintain any linux in a way it's not ageing. It just needs some knowledge about the distro, especially about the package manager.

| >>358015 >>358092
I even agree that Ubuntu is not the best thing. A big plus to me is the large community. But if I weren't trapped in convience I would use Arch instead.

| >>358092
I believe you that Ubuntu (with some care) can stay relatively clean for a long time. It however doesn't change the fact that it too mutates. Changes to packages are global and permanent, on NixOS however, packages are truly user independant and each version gets its own absolute and unique path, making collisions a thing of the past. This allows for true multi-userness. The central config also gives absolute insight over your OS (what is, and is not configured).

| >>358133
I thought Dependecies are what makes a system somehow stable and consistent. Installing multiple versions of programs and libraries that make use of each other sounds pretty like blowed up "winsxs" or "program files" -alike windos directory, which is known for making trouble, including "aging the system".
I will still have a look on NixOS.

| >>358177
I think you misunderstood. NixOS doesn't install a dependency/package for each program. It installs them for each version, reiterating my point of making package collision impossible. NixOS them makes sure the correct versions of packages have access to eachother. Neither does it "shield" or virtualize the applications from eachother. I think it's all best explained on these pages: https://nixos.org/nixos/nix-pills/why-you-should-give-it-a-try.html

| >>358211
You're almost converting me. Congrats.

| >>358211
Do you know "environment modules"?

| >>358729
I have not until you mentioned them. From my initial read on the software it does not seem to compete with Nix(OS) directly. It seems to be an imperative approach to building an environment, whereas NixOS tries to do this completely declaratively, which comes with immense benefits. The quickest way an environment can be spawned on Nix is "nix-shell -p python", where -p and it's arguments are the packages you want in your temporary environment.

| >>360629
More on the nix-shell here: https://nixos.org/nix/manual/#chap-quick-start

To declaratively build a package and its required environment + dependencies you'd write a Nix expression, as described here: https://nixos.org/nix/manual/#ch-simple-expression

It's an absolutely brilliant declarative system, which extends to the whole operating system. It does however take some time to wrap your head around. Feel free to elaborate on Env. Modules and how they compare though.

| Ubuntu isn't that bad

Total number of posts: 20, last modified on: Mon Jan 1 00:00:00 1531495725

This thread is permanently archived