danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
What might cause Windows fail to start?

| ... but still have the partition mountable and files retrievable from live Linux?

| Could be lots of reasons, Windows has like 10,000 ways it can fail. Try booting into safe mode. If that works, consider reverting to a restore point right before it last booted successfully

| >>290034
Oh, I'm not trying to fix it, I'm trying to break it. All I can find is ways to fix it.

| Why not just use GNU/Linux?

| >>290055
Confuse the bootloader.

| >>290055 delete system32 or some of its content, go to the first link searching "download minecraft 100% free no virus lol", idk, im sure you can find all u need on google.

| A modern Windows OS will have a system partition separate from C:, probably at the beginning of your drive, probably a few hundred megabytes; you can overwrite that to keep it from booting.

If this is some kind of security measure, though, it won't actually work against anyone with any technical skill.

| >>290544
Don't forget this can be fixed by just plugging a recovery USB and clicking "fix boot bla bla"

| >>290010
OP, if I understand you well, you need a dual-boot of windows and a linux, right?

I would advise you to have Linux installed on a separate partition from your Windows system. Be careful not to overwrite, format or delete the existing windows partition.

When you boot your PC, press F11 (or whatever opens up BIOS settings) and select booting from the linux partition.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

| >>290544
I did not know this! I thought everything's pinned to C:. It's why I keep most files in a separate D: partition

| >>290010
Go ask the microsoft support. It's a product you paid for and the provider has to give service for their product with paid service workers, not a community for free.

| >>291618
Two dual boot you need two separate hard drives or else it is going to cuss a lot of problems to your system.Still you can use more than 2 OS in the same system with a simple virtual machine(VM) and sometimes VMs have more advantages.

| >>291703
You're right. My mistake.
Isn't virtual machine significtly less efficient?

| Should have useing linux! Eks Dee

| >>291703 >>292069 I dual boot on one hard drive with no problems, the only issue is it takes a while to learn how to set up the bootloader. Windows wants to be the first os on though, if it's not it overwrites things .

| >>292291
Yeap but as i said if you dont know how it works you may caused a lot of problems to your system.

| Do some research on OS basics or more specifically the boot process. Some hardware knowledge could help you too. - https://www.cs.rutgers.edu/~pxk/416/notes/02-boot.html

| If you want to stop windows from booting entirely,I'd recommend you to fuck around in the registry. It's basically what tells your computer to start what.

| If you want to stop windows from booting entirely,I'd recommend you to fuck around in the registry. It's basically what tells your computer to start what.

| >>294407 Why the fuck did that post double.

| >>294407
No, the thing what tells the computer to start what is at first the BIOS/(U)EFI, then comes the either a plain Bootloader like GRUB or some (U)EFI shit (which may start an os directly or a bootloader like GRUB)
Windows has it's own exlusive Bootloader, which may be invoked by another Bootloader, like GRUB or directly by (U)EFI. The registry "just" includes settings and information of the running system and software. Though you still may fuck it up.

Total number of posts: 21, last modified on: Fri Jan 1 00:00:00 1527149199

This thread is permanently archived