danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Start coding

| I want to learn to code, and was wondering what I should start with.

| You should start with asking what will you do with the knowledge of coding. Making AI or making a game etc etc

| >>190648
This. Also keep in mind that although "Coding", "Software Development" and "Computer Science" have some things in common they are in fact not the same thing.
If you want general purpose learn C. If you want to get on the path of vidya programming go with Python. Otherwise if you're in for the science go with a Lisp dialect.

| What would a computer science major need to know? or a person who makes apps and small indie games?

| >>190925
Again, those are sorta two things. For indie games you probably want to save time and just use a game engine and learn their respective programming language. A typical CS BSc. will have knowledge of datastructures and algorithms, data science, linear algebra and/or discrete maths and probably some security related knowledge too. Two different things you see?

| >>190943 dang. I was just wondering because the local university sort of uses CS as a blanket term for everything. Computer Science is the only programming/coding/computer related major offered though.

| There's a huge amount of diversity in the fields of computer science. No class will give you a catch all. Once you start you'll pick up basics and will be able to specialize from there. Don't worry about asking what to start with and just start learning something.

| If you're like me and can't decide without getting your hands on *something* first, then learn an easier programming language (i.e, not C).

I suggest Python. Codecademy.com is a decent place to pick up the basic

| What about self-learning AI programming? Where do you start with that? It seems there's a field where neuroscience and programming merge, but how would one get hands-on experience?

| repl.it + http://www.rosettacode.org/wiki/Rosetta_Code

| >>191991 >>191991 AI is ML
AI is NOT neuroscience at all
Read http://www.fast.ai/

| >>191991
Might find this interesting:
http://neuralnetworksanddeeplearning.com/about.html

| >>191530
I get why people recommend Python for a beginner. Easy to read, easy to understand. The lack of strong typing, lack of brackets, lack of some fundamental knowledge spells trouble for me.

Python is great for small scripts, automation, uses for interpretation, and in some cases small scale websites. But nothing more.

I'd recommend a new programmer start with C or C++ as it shows more of what programming is, why it is, how it works, etc. I'd even recommend Java or C#.

| I'm not too fond of people recommending Python or JS. In some cases it could be confusing to a beginner just as any other language.

No language is "hard" or "difficult". It's much easier to learn than your native spoken language. It's incredibly small in comparison.

Learning the language isn't the problem, that part is easy. It's the problem solving that gives everyone a hard time.

Pick up a book on the language of your choice and learn away, my friend.

| Lack of brackets et cetera is actually exactly why I'd suggest Python. That way you can focus more on algorithm and logical thinking than language periphrenalia.

But if you try it then find the general feel of programming to your liking, do pick up C or some such.

| >>193345
I don't recall ending statements with a semicolon or encasing a block of code in brackets ever preventing me from focusing on algorithmic and logical thinking.

I suppose if that poses a hindrance to some then yes I'd recommend something along the lines of Python. Although I've never encountered someone who deemed that an obstruction to their thinking.

| As any kind of programmer, how do you know if what you created works?

| >>193761
Unit tests failing, coworkers git blaming you, your boss screaming at you and getting support tickets from customers are ways you'll be notified about your shit not working.

| Feels bad man

| >>193738
My friend!! When I was getting into programming, syntax errors keep happening and they frustrates the hell outta me bc it's so hard to see what's wrong. It doesn't make me feek any better when I realise I just miss a semicolon.

Though each to their own I suppose

| >>194182
To each their own indeed. I recall accidentally removing a closing bracket my first week of learning C++ when I was 14. That happened several times that week. After that I can't remember the last time a bug in my program was due to brackets or semicolons.

You know what is funny? I still have a habit of adding semicolons to Python scripts haha.

However I still don't see how this gets in the way of algorithmic and logical thinking.

| >>194305 you must have more mental fortitude than I do. Being repeatedly frustratated by simple mistakes can be very distracting.

I'd also say something like Python has a clearer syntax than something like C, even though it might seem too too simplifying. Time taken learning C++'s idiosyncracies can be spent on making running programs in Python.

| I'd suggest python cause it's easy to do procedural, object oriented programming (oop), and functional programming (fp) in python.

in c, you can't really do oop or fp.
and having to clear memory &c. can distract from what you're actually doing.

| >>194336
I took just as much time learning Python's features as I did learning C++'s features. As I said before the language isn't the difficult part, the problem solving is.

>>196367
To be honest I can easily do that in almost any other language.
If by OOP you mean encapsulation, polymorphism, and inheritance, that is all possible in C.

Memory management also isn't much of a big deal in either language. It's moreso prevalent when you start creating large complex programs

| Which when first starting out you're not going to do. At least me and every other professional I know didn't haha.

| Does anyone use Ruby? Also is Java a good language to start with?

| >>198149
I've dabble in Ruby. It's similar to Python and is great for web development.

My second language was C# which is very similar to Java. In a sense I was relearning programming when I go into C# a year ago.

I would say yes it's a decent language to start with.

It depends on what you wanna do man. If a language looks appealing to you, read up on it and give it a shot!

| >>196521
>I took just as much time learning Python's features as I did learning C++'s features.
either you took forever to learn python, or you don't know as much c++ as you know python. c++ just has more to learn.

| >>196521
>I can easily do that in almost any other language.
python was an example of a good language, but there are others of course.
you can't have anonymous functions in c. so fp is not really possible. you can do oop technically but it's not clean.

| >>196521
>Memory management also isn't much of a big deal
clearing memory alone isn't too bad, but if you forget to, it can give not-so-helpful errors. the same is true if you try to access past the end of an array.
Python tells you the line it was called on with a traceback.
C tells you segfault.

| What do you people think about Lua?
I'm just about to learn it as my first programming language.

| >>200170
Haha no no I don't mean all of it's features. I mean it's niches.
>>200171
And it is, it's elegant for it's uses. I was only commenting that the majority of that is possible in C (since they targeted C) although I of course know it isn't that simple ;P

>>200172
I won't argue with that. Debugging memory can be a hassle. But that's what I love about programming. Find those bugs or keeping track of where that kind of stuff could happen. Beautiful

| I'm talking as if I'm some sort of expert in C++. I'm not. I just love it for being a powerful and brilliant language. I think the same of Python, or R, or C#.

Truth is I'm only certified in C# currently. C++ certification is the one I'll be taking in a month or so. No where near a master at this subject but that right there is why I enjoy it so much. So much to learn.

That may explain why not many will see it my way.

| How I'd prefer to learn C++ than something like Ruby or Typescript first. C++ being my first language taught me a great deal. That isn't to say no other language would do the same. It taught me most.

| The lack of section brackets and block recognition by indenting is as stupid as it gets. Some here mentioned they messed up with the brackets and feel better without them. Well, to me it is a nustification to say 'I am lazy to indent properly in any language and python forces me to it with a whip'.

And OOP is overrated and taught like a divine mantra.

| I had a colleague who asked if bash scripts were oo and was horrified that he could not use try{} catch() constructs. He held php much superior to bash scripts and C simply because php was 'oo'.

Personally I like the 'what you see is all you get' way.

And while I like C, I dislike C++ with its overcomplications for everything. Maybe because I never did game programming and there is where it shines, but I always thought game programming to be boring as hell anyways.

| >>200675
I can see why others prefer C over C++. I suppose I'm a little biased. I feel as if I started with C first I would think the same.

Game programming isn't all C++ is used for. Both languages are absolutely everywhere. Java and C# are used in gaming just as much.

Game programming doesn't interest me either meh.

| >>200675 >>200801 can I ask you both why you dislike game programming? It seems like most people get into coding because of games.

| >>201215
I don't dislike it. It simply doesn't interest me.

I got into programming and software development out of sheer love and curiosity for computers. It was one of the last things I looked into during my time as an adolescent researching how computers work. That's how I ran across programming.

As a kid not long before that I absolutely wanted to make video games.

Around age 11 that ambition died down. I loved games still but no interest in making them anymore.

| Also I code way more than I do video games now yet still the idea of creating one still doesn't excite me.

| >>201283
Same with me. I got interested in games initially of course but very soon that interest died out completely. I found it repetitive and shallow after a certain point. My interest developed past the 'rinse, repeat' that game programming felt for me, while I sought ways to do many other things which became integrated part of the entire system. Interpret csv files, automate some something I needed. All by combining bits of bashscript, C, awk, mysql(cli), zenity, etc.

| But playing games is another thing, different from making them. I have to confess I am a diamond class Starcraft2 protoss player :p

| pick your poison but STAY AWAY FROM JAVASCRIPT

| >>201409
I think we can all agree on this lol.

| Why is JavaScript everywhere and are there alternatives?

| >>201448
It is currently the dominant way of running something clientside with code that resides serverside. Ideally the code of both server and client should work to make the experience of accessing server content better and faster. In reality this good intention is abused by the clientside doing more things than it is supposed to, parasiting on the resources of the client and using its processing power for things that are unrelated to the original requested content.

| >>201448
>alternatives
There used to be no real way,
but now you can currently compile code to web assembly,
which the major browsers support.

Total number of posts: 47, last modified on: Wed Jan 1 00:00:00 1522074640

This thread is permanently archived