danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Why Linux is shit?

| Many windows users say:"Linux suck". But why? The most important is what in Linux you have to sometimes use cmd instead of usal buttons, so for doing this you need to learn commands and read documentation, which people started to hate after Windows 97.
What about you?

| I've heard the argument that it's more difficult to use compared to windows, but I've had several problems with windows that I've had to fix in nearly the same way as you fix things with linux: google the problem, search around a bit, follow instructions that multiple places recommend and this uses cmd more often than not. so I dunno

| >>189377
Is this a joke post?

| >>189500
I do that.

So Linux is as easy or what??

| >>189528 it would be if so many programs actually supported linux instead of only windows or macOS. Other than that, if you get a good distro, yeah

| usability mostly i guess? windows is windows, linux is hundreds of distros. windows is drag and drop, linux is a command with nuances based on what the user wants. windows is a one time cost (if that) for a lot of convenience, linux is free but filled with hassles and problems even when you 'git gud'

the common user isnt tech oriented and doesnt necessarily want to be so... yea

| yesterday I died

| >>189377
There are two main reasons why "linux" is better than windows - but suprisingly is that they don't have to do with linux itself.
1. Licencing policy: Free and open source software (FOSS) vs. proprietary software. Did you ever realize, that it is officially never called "Linux" but "GNU/Linux"
2. Unix Philosphy & Technology vs. marketing & commerce reality (what "the user" wants or what the software company wants the users to want)

| >>189377
>The most important is what in Linux you have to sometimes use cmd instead of usal buttons
Ideally this is no disatvantage and more like an essential advantage over Windows systems. Having acces to all functions on command-line and filesystem level is more consistent and automatizable than guis ever will be. Nevertheless there are great Desktop GUIs for Linux like KDE, that are highly customizeable via the gui itself.

| >>189377
>So for doing this you need to learn commands and read documentation, which people started to hate after Windows 97.
At first there never was "Windows 97". Also the DOS/NT Commandline (including the powershell) ever was just so awfull that i can understand why people hated it. Unix/Linux shells had more comfort functions (like autocomplete, UTF-8 support, etc.) from the beginning plus the simple concept represented anything as a file with ownership and permissions.

| I startet working on computers with Microsoft with DOS until Windows 7. And looking back I regret it very much that no expert caught me and said: Stop this bullshit and use unix/linux instead, from the beginning. Now beeing a perfectionist that wants to make efficient and professional software and scietific calculations, microsoft "products" seems more like a huge marketing-gag/-toy to me. The funny thing is, that under the surface it became more and more unix alike with the time.

| Regarding >>189739
take a look on
1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_and_open-source_software
2. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_philosophy

| It can be as free as it wants. It is still shit if it can't run my software and I would have to stick to clunky alternatives as an artist.

Also underperforming GPUs.

| My impression from using all 3 big OS's as if we are playing zoo tycoon:
1. Windows: Good, by far the biggest most popular exhibit in the zoo full of all the cool zoo animals.

LINUX: The zoo keepers themselves. You may have a learning curve but you own the whole zoo and can manipulate it however you want. You are God.

Mac: The line for a bathroom that costs more to enter than the zoo itself.

| >>189768
>It can be as free as it wants. It is still shit if it can't run my software and I would have to stick to clunky alternatives as an artist.
Thats a myth. I already schooled artists with ubuntu-studio, which worked perfectly. The problem is that it is pretty uncommon because artists are pretty naive to marketing.
>Also underperforming GPUs.
I still have not seen anyone using windows for gpu-based computing such as machine learnig. How does it fit to your statement?

| >>189841
>as an artist
I also expirienced that some „arists“ expect that the software does their work for them that one could question where was the artistic work in the end. This counts especially for music production. You hear a difference between skilled artists that could work with any DAW compared to lazy ones which musics sound pretty simmiliar in the end due to the use of ever the same plugins and presets from the same Software.

| >>189539
What's a good distro? Ima about to learn programming, which I is why I want to try out Linux.

With Windows I mostly use cracked Ableton, Davinci, and the Adobe Suite. Also I play overwatch and sometimes other games.

| >>189944
It boils down to: it depends. A lot of people recommend Arch because it has excellent security and versatility, but it takes a lot of work to keep working, however Manjaro is based on Arch and sacrifices a tiny bit of security to make it much easier to use. I'm trying to get my computer to dual boot Windows and Manjaro currently.
For beginning with linux I've seen Ubuntu recommended a lot as well because it's super easy but it has some limitations

| >>189969
But what kind of security does one need?
With antivirus, and proper opsec, what else is there?

| Linux certainly is not perfect yet, but I work faster on it and I really like to customize my desktop with more freedom among other things. This guy talks about the many things that could be way better in Linux in his "Linux sucks" conferences and I think they could give you some additional information (Some info may be outdated) https://youtu.be/WipM3SAYqK4

| the feeling of ticking checkboxes and then watch dozens of softwares auto download & install, without ads, serial numbers, or popup browser window

| >>189944 overwatch definitely takes up my windows use as well haha. My linux is where most of my serious/work stuff is tho

| >>189989 The kind of security Arch and to a lesser extent Manjaro have is where almost as soon as a vulnerability is found, it is patched. Windows for example can take upwards of a few months to do the same thing. Now do you really need that kind of protection? Probably not, but it's definitely nice to have anyway, and if you get into coding for security you have the latest and greatest tools available to you.
Also most games either support linux already or you can use Wine

| >>189989 by anti virus you mean an adblocker right? most malware is distributed through ads from what I've seen in infosec and opsec

| >>190491
Don't think that Linux-distros are immune to viruses by design. It is just more resistant because of better default configuration and more skilled userbase compared to windows. The only advantage is that the source is open and one theoretically could build his own paranoia system with it or at least can check his distributors work. This may be for most people not the usual way to go but at least it is possible compared to proprietary software like ms windows.

| >>191861
Since Microsoft started using NT instead of DOS as kernel (2000) it IS possible to secure Windows from 3rd party malware. The difference to unix/linux is that no one can control/check security leaks (whether they are intentional or not) except Microsoft developers and skilled hackers.

| >>190491
nah I mean Avast and Malwarebytes.
Also Ublock, Privacy Badger and Noscript.

| Just use temple os

| Linux is different to maintain than windows, you need to remember commands in linux, but if you like using gui than ubuntu is best, you can even use cinammon which behaves exactly like windows

| >>742f24 nothing is safe, everything is exploitable, don't trust anyone.

| >>5f485b
No one has breached temple os

| >>193537
t. guy who's been using mint for 2 weeks.

| >ha-ha linuks is easy and user-centric
explain systemd then

| People who use any Linux based OS generally are as at much risk of getting malware as Windows or Mac users, the addition of Wine makes it less secure if you don't know what you're doing, it's this placebo effect that if you can't run .exe files on Linux, you're basically as secure as a reinforced door, but in reality, it's the opposite.

| >>195487
No you are wrong. The malware you get that way will remain in that application alone and its attempts to spread around will fail. Because it will search and depend on elements and mechanisms which are not available in the compatibility layer that WINE provides. If one has wine to behave as a different container for each application then it will also make the malware unable to spread in another application, as their environments are different.

| If you don't like Linux don't use Android. (Android, for anyone that doesn't know it is a Linux based OS)

| >>195907 Android is android. It has a linux kernel, but that is where the similarity ends. All else is different. MacOS X uses the bsd kernel but that does not make it one of the *BSD systems either. How the utilities interact and use the kernel is also as important and how data are passed to and fro app space memory and kernel space memory too. In linuxes as well there are differences in utils though the kernel is the same for all, eg. new iproute2 vs traditional iputils.

| Chrome demands a child sacrifice

| >>189969
>it takes a lot of work to keep working
how? all i do is run "sudo pacman -Syu" whenever i think of it.

Total number of posts: 39, last modified on: Sun Jan 1 00:00:00 1521708508

This thread is permanently archived