danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
What version of linux would you recommend?

|

|

| >version
Hello, newpeng/u/in. May want to start reading the terminologies.

| Which distro then, sorry it's been a few years since I've done anything linux related

| bump, I need 2 get into linux 2

| >>189049 >>189060
What are you both looking for? Debian is enough for most common users, but some elitist would direct you to Arch (or even Gentoo, and some other exotic breed of penguins).

If Debian is not up to your taste, then I'd heavily recommend Manjaro. It's Arch-based, but it has less of the hassle of Arch Linux.

| >>189063 exactly that, thank you kindly

| You need to specify what your use case is. Every distro has its own purpose

| If you don't even know what you need to use linux for, then I would recommend Ubuntu and go from there after you get an idea for what you want in a distro

| >>189081 >>189084
Both me btw

| >>189063
I just want to get into programming, and everybody has told me I should use Linux for that cause only idiots use windows for programming.
I've heard Kali Linux should be dank- ya can even download it from the microsoft app store (which will probably put you on some list tho lmao)

What would be the negative aspects of having Linux on an USB stick?

| Just get debian for the start. You wont become a super hacka just from downloading kali

| >>189095
Ayy I know.

I just hear about Mint, Kali, Ubuntu, Arch Linux and Fedora and have no Idea on whats better or worse.
I should research more I know, but this thread popped up so I'm just trying 2 get help 2.

Do you maybe know if there are any negative aspects of having Linux on an USB stick?

| >>189098
Nope. I have a 16 GB stick with an emergency Arch installation which I use to fix either my broken Arch setup, or other people's computer (because muh Windows virus).

It runs fine, especially since the drive powers on USB3.0, and I use CLI instead of DE.

| NixOS for it's fully declarative nature. Don't bother with package managers with globally mutating states. Nix literally cannot break unlike other package managers.

| I would recommend Debian for someone starting out, then when you get the hang of things you can switch to something with a harder setup like Arch. There's no problem with running of a flashdrive, that's what I run my main install (Arch) off of so I can switch distros easier and leave my harddrive as dumb storage. It can be kind of hard to get automatic installers to treat your flashdrive as a harddrive though, so you might need to install from a VM.

| Ubunta :^)

| I would recommend at least version 4.*
Unfortunately on android there usually only is version 3.* available.

| >>191831
Version 4.x has been out and about, even in Android — Android OEMs is just bad at updating the kernel.

| >>72ceea mint & ubuntu - normal users
Fedora - power users
Kali - haX0r
Debian - sys admins
Raspbian - pie users
Tiny core - I boot from floppy users
Remix os - that's not a laptop that's a phone users

| >>e99e3 your thoughts on arch/manjaro?

| Ubuntu. Sue me. But it ain't bad if you just wanna get your toe in the water.

| Cyborg. >4hax

You should install Ubuntu GNOME if you're not interested in hacking the Pentagon.

| I have been using Antergos for three or four months. I think it was a good choice because I was just learning to use Linux for the first time and it was the most intuitive.
The installer let you choose between 4 or 5 desktop environments and you get a "pacman manager" which let's you search new software and looks for updates regularly.
I tried Kali, Ubuntu and Black Arch too, but Antergos was more comfortable (also you can install the Black Arch repositories on top of it).

| Mint~ it looks nice and usually works without alot of problems

| I didn't try it yet, but the Steam OS sounds good

| gentoo

| >>193546
Correction:
- Debian, Manjaro, Mint, Ubuntu — or anything with a graphical user interface that doesn't look like either Windows 98, or a computer set from a hacking movie: New or No-hassle Users.
- Anything with the word 'Gentoo': Power users; may bite.
- Arch: The "I'm okay with Linux and some hour of fixing things" zone.
- Red Hat/Fedora, OpenSUSE: Uh.. 'this is for work' zone?
- Anything smaller than 100 MB: "I only have ZIP drives" users.

| >>191869
Interesting. I've not yet seen a custom ROM using 4.x ...

| >>197238
You can't (usually) quite upgrade major versions of Linux in Android, with or without a custom ROM. Last time I've seen this happen was only in a minor upgrade (3.4 -> 3.10).

The closest thing I've seen is with Huawei and their Kirin chip, which made a jump from 3.x to 4.4 in one of their EMUI builds.

Also, most newer phones nowadays run 4.x — by 'new' I mean those running newer chipset, and isn't a low-to-mid range phone.

| Linux From Scratch

| As there are many Ubuntu users it seems like a good moment to share this video. It is from 2013, so I don't really know if Ubuntu still has spyware. https://youtu.be/DXnfa0H30L4

| I've been using Linux Mint for a while, but I'm interested in trying something new. I want something that runs Windows games with less issues, has a clean layout, and isn't bloatware. Ever since I switched from Windows 7, Linux has been enjoyable for me. Also, I'm not well-versed in Terminal.

| >>199348
What's the problem with mint and gaming?

| Debian/Ubuntu/Linux Mint if you're a regular user,that wants something that actually works most of the time.
Arch/Gentoo/LFS if you want to impress your friends.

| arch

| Ubuntu probably has the best amount of information on Google for when something inevitably breaks. Xubuntu I'd particularly great for aging machines as it is resource light.

Linux Mint used to be the closest to a Windows experience and so allowed for the easiest transition for beginners. Since Ubuntu has changed it's desktop environment to GNOME, I'd say either works.

| Gentoo will allow you to grow and brew soybeans while you wait for something to be installed. Use Gentoo only if you deem your time worthless and if you are a fan of extremes in low productivity during the learning process.

| ignore debian recomendations if you are coming from windows try Linux mint since the transition wont be so bad and you can do all debian type of commands all the same.

| >>201094 this is only good advice if you use Windows and LIKE it. I always hated it so switching to Debian was better for me.

| What are your thoughts on Fedora?
I'm coming from Windows and researched a bit about Linux, and wanted to try it out.
Seems like Fedora is revolutionary, easy through Gnome, has a nice community, etc.

| >>201280
Fedora of today is what becomes RHEL of tomorrow. It is something similar to testing/unstable in Debian but given out to people so they can serve as testers as well. When collecting the feedback, they apply what they think apropriate, freeze again and that is when it becomes RHEL.
I am a Debian user myself and I have set up a Mint system for my parents and family to use.
1/2

| 2/2
Underneath though, in time I have populated it with all my debianite geekery I usually need - including a chrooted Debian testing system that I use when I need to compile software with the newest libraries that are not available in that 4 year old Mint installation.
So much for distro differences and 'old software' talks. ;)

| ubuntu-based distros for starting out
(or manjaro, mint)
arch, gentoo and all the others after u get the hang of it and if u really need them

| Gentoo?
Hahahahahaha.

| >>202825
What do you need Arch for?

| >>203031
Looking cool when you post pics of your desktop and screenfetch/neofetch

| >>203036
I've seen that, but what else?
And why do people say it's hard to use. Also they say only pretentious assholes who think they are cool and intelligent use it.

| >>203036
What gui does Arch have that Debian can not apt-get install? :o
And about those 'living in the edge' needs and urges, Debian unstable will definitely fulfill them all. And if still someone is still unhappy, Debian experimental will throw you in a world where even the ground under your feet shifts and changes every minute and you'll fear the idea of apt-get upgrade.

| >>203076 The normal Arch install doesn't include any desktop environment nor some other applications to make the experience more friendly to the user.
You have certain freedom to install all the things you need but you have to do it bit by bit.
I installed Arch once, but it was talking me hours of reading the Arch wiki just to install the most basic stuff, I got tired and installed Antergos instead :P

| >>203108
Aha. It is Debian minimal install equivalent then. Or the default install but ticking out the desktop environment checkbox at the feature selection.
Switch over already g/u/rl. The Debian Universe has all you'll ever need. From solidity of stable to the neverending nightmares of experimental. :D
And indeed, I once wanted to install Arch as well and got fed up with it midway. Not because I couldnt, but because it wore me off with stuff that should be a non-issue. :/

| >>203145
Why should I install Debian over Fedora or Ubuntu tho

| >>203514
To me it is a combination of stability, software packages available, and the fact that there is not a company behind the distro but a product of the biggest community in the opensource world. This third point is very important and serves as insurance that decisions are made based on the true interest of the users and robustness of software, not influenced by profit goals.
That Debian community is so vast, is not by chance and random an event.

| http://futurist.se/gldt/wp-content/uploads/12.10/gldt1210.svg

| Ubuntu is gud for new people and the average computer user.

| >>203607 I think Mint is a better choice at that, if only because it gets rid of ubuntu's fetish to reinvent several wheels and undoing Canonical's mind trickeries. It is what Ubuntu should have been if it didn't stray from its excellence 8-10 years ago.

| >>189094 it's perfectly possible to program in Windows... You just have to get around a few quirks of the os

Total number of posts: 57, last modified on: Thu Jan 1 00:00:00 1522237829

This thread is permanently archived