danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Operating system recs

| Like,I'm not really tech savvy so I have been using windows 7. But now that my PC's motherboard got fried and I'm planing to get a new one what OS do you recommend?

What I am looking for basically is a OS that is okay for gaming and won't sell my info to some big corp.

| >won't sell my info to some big corp
I mean, you're limiting yourself to a narrow field of choice here.

| Well true. I guess its a oxymoron to ask for a OS that is good and isn't affiliated to a big corp. Only asked cause when I was talking about OSs with my friend they basically grilled me for using windows.

Guess I should be okay with some basic info leaking out. After all I am no notorious hacker...

| If your new board and cpu and gpu have drivers for, and can run on, win7, then just continue with win7.
But I hear that the newest cpus refuse to run on not-win10 systems. Can anyone confirm this?

| >>185106
I say false. You can go about as low as Windows 8, or even 7 for some. Considering that 7 is still in support phase by Microsoft, I see absolutely no reason why device manufacturers would stop supporting it.

| >>185106 New gen CPUs don't officially support win7 but asrock have a whole guide on how to make it work. It doesn't seem too hard

| Install any GNU/Linux that is not affiliated with big corp, i.e. not basic Ubuntu or Fedora. Windows 7 still sends your data to M$, especially if you install all the latest updates.

| >>185323 Stop this BS of 'install linux because of blabla'. People do have their own reasons why they install the platforms they do install. OP asked an OS for gaming. As much as I consider myself a very hardcore linux user for some 15 years by now, I dualboot to win7 for my games and to XP before that. Windows pwns gaming scene and this is a fact.

| >>185376
>and won't sell my info to some big corp.

| >>185376
>>185381

| >>184979
Try KDE neon with wine and playonlinux and emulators for gaming consoles.
You also could install steam, but this is again about >sell my info to some big corp.
This may be also a problem with most new games that require permanent internet connection and have builtin telemetry.

| >>185376
I am actually gaming under linux for over 5 years now. Had dualboot before but it was just too uncomfortable. The only title I did not manage to run was empire earth. To configure a working wine prefix is less uncomfortable than switching between 2 OS on the long term. I have to admit that I am not too much interested in the latest blockbuster titles (except „the witches“ that runs flawlessly)
Im glad I don't have to touch fucking windows anymore.

| I like win10 a lot. I don't care if Microsoft is selling my data, I only use my computer to play games

| If by gaming you mean indie gaming and not AAA gaming, a lot of games have Linux versions now

| For a large number of games, you can get by with Linux using either the Linux port of steam or the PlayOnLinux version. Your only issue there will stem from wine hiccups with some games (follow the wiki if in doubt) and x64-exclusive games not playing well with PoL Steam. I've heard there's a fix for that, but I've yet to try. I'd just dualboot Win10 for any x64 games you can't run in Linux.

| >>186427
Well, the problem is that you help this way to establish your "I have nothing to hide" as a standard that also affects ppl that don't want to do that. This is because MS established its "DirectX" as proprietary standard used by most game developers. Like in every case with proprietary standards this should be a case for cartel prevention authority for the sake of fair competition as it should be in a free market.

| To be honest, the big gaming industry has become shittier over time. This starts with forced online connection, goes overe banana products (ripe at customers place) and ends with things like subscription models and virtual malls (pay2win) that sometimes make you even additionally pay when you already payed for the game. On top of all this gaming industry wants have exploit your personel data which for some huge companys is almost the only ressource they have, still making profit.

| The best way is to dualboot Wangblows 10 and Linux.

Total number of posts: 18, last modified on: Mon Jan 1 00:00:00 1521117100

This thread is permanently archived