danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Anyone Else Notice Google Acting Differently?

| Does it seem like google and search engines that use results from google are returning less varried results and more Google Megacorp Approved™ type results? Maybe im just being paranoid but lately its starting to feel harder and harder to find informationthat doesnt feel "washed" through google.

| yeah absolutely
Shit, for a real example just look at YouTube

Watch two videos about anal sex and that's all your recommended will be

| Kek, the whole "adjusting to content you like" thing is pretty annoying, but i mean like results feel like they've been altered to remove any sort of information that google doesnt like and nudge you in the direction of sites that either make google money or distract people without provideing any actual news or information.

| yeah definitely

I don't know why, but the other day when I was trying to find that image of a fallout 4 gun modification that named its components after the plot spoilers, it would literally not show up anywhere no matter how hard I google-fu'd

It was nuts

Maybe Bethesda paid them to get it away

| Google "Historical Europeans", "white couple", "american inventors" or "Kirby's creator".
The algorithm can be influenced by users, but the truth to the matter is that Google hasn't fixed any of these.

| I have a worm/PUP on my PC. But it doesn't do anythibg but redirect to sites randomly so I'm fine.

| That's why I always use Duckduckgo.

| >>184668
Indeed. Doing it for years now too.

| >>183840 ima a commie and have to say thats sick af

| Ive been useing startpage but it gets its results through google so... yea

| >>184668
Since I switched to DDG, advertisement that slips by adblock became normal and random again
Instead of "Holy fuck, this g/u/rl googled 'automobile' for school project, let's put car ads everywhere for the next year!"

| >>184668 same, DDG is so much nicer than google, and actually finding the stuff I want is great (not to mention you can give it a dark theme)

| Whoever still uses google deseves the shit they get as a result.

| >>187529
Startpage uses results from google, so while im not worried about google stalking me, i still get their anoying results, though with a lot less sponsored pages.

| >>187598 That indeed is google with just another layer in between.
What I had in mind is duckduckgo. It is just as web indexing search engines should be.

| I just started playing with wiby.me, and while its compleatly useless if you want to just go straight to something like wiki or youtube you actualy get results with tons of small obscure websites without them being swamped by all the social media, sponsored, and corperate websites.

| Just stop using it really..i switched years ago

| I notice this too. Just chiming in for affirmation.

| >>184668
Doesn't respect privacy, use something like startpage instead

| Totally i hate the whole "lets guess what you like" thing. It makes it especially hard to find new things online or be exposed to new channels/companies/etc. I really wish there was an option to turn this off just so i can find new things. Sometimes i even purposefully have to sign out of my Gmail/youtube account just to have something new in my recommended videos

| I've just read that google intensifies collaboration with the military by providing ”AI“ technology for autonomous systems such as drones, vehicles and even weapons (improved/auto aim, guided projectiles).
So much for that "don't be evil" slogan. How people could be so naive to believe that a company restricts the opportunity for profit with ethic rules.

| I'm afraid that Google search uses cookies to give "better" search results. So it write cookies too. And websites can easily take all of them, again for "better" advertising.

| >>189381
I really dislike the term better search results. Cant a person decide on his own what the better result is

| >>183840
DuckDuckGo does the same shit though...

| Im pretty sure DDG and Startpage both use results from google

| Idk about Startpage but DDG does use Google's results, but doesn't "personalize" it and store info about you

Total number of posts: 26, last modified on: Sun Jan 1 00:00:00 1521311347

This thread is permanently archived