danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Thinkpads

| T420 with 8th ram and 256gb ssd w/i7 for $200 how'd I do g/u/rls

| Pretty good, though you can make it better. Get up to 16 GB of RAM and an mSATA. Also battery slice? You using the 6-cell or 9-cell? Also, which i7? I know with the T430 you can actually replace the CPU w/o replacing the Mobo. Should be the same for the T420.

| the 2nd gen thinkpads and anything sandy bridge were pretty good deals. Dell latitude 6 series like the 6420/6520 were ebay bargin bin deals too. You can probably find em for $150 or less these days

| No slice battery yet, and 9 cell battery comes with it. I am moving over from having a MacBook with iMessage to having this thinkpad with an android phone. Does anyone know if you can replicate iMessage functionality with android and Windows?

| >>180877
There is no need for 16G RAM. It even may increase battery consumption if it means additional modules.
Use a proper linux distro and you'll be fine with 8GB RAM. I suggest KDE neon and keeping in mind that ubuntunoids (like KDE neon) may have a fresh LTS in april/may.

| >>181354 Fair enough. Personally, I like to have as much RAM on hand so I can multitask, but I use my x230 as a workstation more than a laptop. Would still recommend an mSATA for the OS install. A 32 GB is like $10 on eBay. Save the SSD space. Manjaro would be a good distro to use. It's lightweight and can be installed with KDE

| >>181730 Be careful if you're installing Windows though, Microsoft has many installations that will go into C: exclusively.

| Planning on one SSD so that I can keep the disk drive, should I get one of those caddys so I can hotswap them?

| >>182231 Absolutely. Makes your life a lot easier for the road.

Total number of posts: 9, last modified on: Fri Jan 1 00:00:00 1520864923

This thread is permanently archived