danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Music Rant

| Rap. Living in LA, this shit is everywhere.
Why did this tasteless form of music catch on? Songs about sex and awful behavior play overhead at the mall, the gym, grocery stores, etc.

Not only that, but the music itself is brainless. Compared to most other forms of music, it's practically devoid of skill and technicality. These rappers are hailed as artists and inspirations for no reason whatsoever.

I understand everything has its own an audience, but how did this one get so big?

| i remember reading somewhere that hip hop was created with the intent of being listened to by the working class or disadvantaged people, and as the recession hit, the scene spread and eventually became mainstream enough for it to influence most mainstream music today.

| Okay so I grew up in LA during the 90s alot of rap back then was relatable and they would put thought into it and it was about getting through struggle and yes sex and violence but every genre has stuff like that.if you listen to older rap it's drastically different from the new stuff (which I also can't stand) this is due to it being mainstream. It gets washed out and commercialized made into something different.one of my favorite old rap songs is purple pills by D12

| It sounds goofy but there is thought put into it. They're are some new rappers out there that aren't all about sex and ciolence you just got to look for it. Also rap is a part of the culture there Compton, Inglewood, Morningside East La where awful with gang violence and having people make it out like Snoop Dogg,easy E, ice cube and more was something for kids in those areas to look up to.

| Consider yourself lucky you don't live in Brazil.

| Coming from a person who lives in a small town I'm surrounded by rap music 24/7 it honestly can get a little Annoying and repetitive at times but what you going to do personally I wish people can listen to different types of genres and not listen to the same old same old dumb people in my town know about different genres smh...

| Some asshat writes a "song" about their ghetto interpretation of mafia life, then remixes it, then some no talent shit remixes that, and then let's remix the remix of the cover of the remix. It don't even matter if they can sing, as long as they are advertising drugs, murder and disrespect anything and everything, they get a platinum album.

| >>186714
Old "gangsta-rap" seemed cool at first until I realized that the beats I was enjoying so much were just samples of vastly superior and older funk songs.

| as a rap fan I don't know what to say... Not all rap is dumb. Good rap touches on social issues etc

| OP here. Didn't think my rant would pick up so many intelligent responses.

>>188775 There are good and bad aspects in all things. My issue is that the mindless drivel is what became mainstream and now we have children and young men and women that think this sort of behavior is the norm. They replicate the improper grammar, slang and mannerisms which make them seem and act less intelligent. I'm 24, my girlfriend is 19. The influence on her and her peers is obvious and detestable.

| >>188775 Also, the "social issues" these rappers touch on are all skewed. They all push left wing agendas and promote unhealthy lifestyles and relationships. I don't want to get political in /mu/ but I can't help but feel that the overwhelming presence of rap, hip hop culture, etc. is being cultivated because of the liberal politics here in LA/California. It's a major trend here and I find it appalling.

(Still ranting)

| >>188786 the second you said "left wing agenda" I think there is no point in having intelligent discussion.

| Rap I would say is probably one of the intelligent genres of music out there but we would never know it, because recently not a single rap artist has been able to really bring out the potential to the fullest. Rap gives out a platform for people to express, feel, and say what there feelings over music with out the beat being a huge factor, never really been a fan of rap but I can respect the idea behind it and what rap can do but sadly in this generation it's just trashy :c

| >>190058 I feel like you're just looking in the wrong place. The mainstream is generally not the place to go looking for music with depth (I'd say Kendrick is the only exception currently, and also maybe Logic). There are a lot of amazing rappers out there if you look beyond the surface. If you want recommendations check out Rapsody and Big KRIT.

Total number of posts: 14, last modified on: Mon Jan 1 00:00:00 1521415923

This thread is permanently archived