danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
prosthetic issues

| I was wondering if anybody here could help me troubleshoot some problems I've been having with my prosthetic limb. I've tried just about all the fixes I can come up with, but nothing seems to be working...

| I lost my arm in a freak accident 7 months ago, and had it replaced with a prosthetic model that I was told would not require much maintenance, aside from the occasional driver update to maintain compatibility between my nervous system and it's circuitry. "Sounds great", I thought, and initially their claims were correct: the thing was pretty hands off for the first couple of months after surgery, and I went back to living life as I would, normally.

| The first driver update was a bit of a hassle, but I figured that it was because I was unfamiliar with doing such a thing. I stumbled my way through it, and managed to complete the installation successfully. There were some dialogue boxes that appeared during the process, a few of which contained error codes and warnings, though I disregarded these since things seemed like they were all set.

| This happened one or two other times before the most recent update, which was released a few days ago. This time, I'm unable to make any progress on the install, at all. I get told that model I use isn't compatible with this new software.

Now, I've done my homework. I've checked my discharge paperwork, and the model number of the arm is listed there: according to the organization's 'net page, this model should be updating without issue.

| I need to get this figured out. The damned thing is starting to act up on a way that's interfering with my work. Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

| Maybe go ask their service dudes to troubleshoot em for you

| >>861715
I tried this; most of their troubleshooting is handled by simple, rather archaic AI. You know, the kind that basically search the company's 'net page for whatever they label as key phrases in your question? I'm aware I might sound very old-fashioned here, but... I prefer to deal with reps face-to-face, and for that they charge kind of a steep fee. Not sure why that is. I'm in the process of seeing whether or not my insurance will cover that, but I'm highly doubtful.

| >>861764
Idk then, try a ripperdoc?

| >>861620

Look bud, your first problem is actually reading the discharge paperwork. Take it from me, those hospitals that deal in prosthetics are in bed with the manufacturers. They'll do anything to rip away your hard earned cash. I suggest you find someone to fuck with it outside of a hospital setting, preferably someone less "clinical" and more "practical" if you catch my drift.

Step

| >>862181
If I do that I void warranty, and then it's *guaranteed* none of this will be covered by insurance. It'd be different if this was some arm I went and picked out myself at some back alley chop shop or black clinic, but it isn't.

It's whatever the hospital's recommendation was. I don't remember having much of a choice in the matter. I just wanted my arm back, and I took whatever option it was they presented me with.

| >>862205
If you're suggesting I go to a mechanic instead of a doctor, that was my original intention. That's why I contacted the manufacturer instead of the guy who un-amputee'd me.

Judging by your response to my post and your remark about paperwork, I can tell you're not a fan of reading, Step.

| >>862207

I'm quite well read actually, dipshit. I'm just trying to be helpful. I'd just void your fuckin warranty because right now I'd say it's just about as useful as tits on a bull. I've got a suspicion the manufacturer is gonna tell you to contact the hospital, shit gets like that.

Step

| >>862208
I appreciate you trying to spare me from getting caught in the middle of what sounds like a potential medicolegal ping-pong match from hell; I just want to do this in a way that doesn't somehow mess things up further.

To tell the truth, I wouldn't really know where to find a reliable outfit of the "practical" variety you're recommending.

| Share the model and specs. I might know a guy.

| Share the model OP, if it's a generation 3 prosthetic I have a troubleshooter that might work -XII

|

|

|

|

|

| have you tried turning it on and off?

| >>865354
Oh; ha, ha.

>>862407 >>862489
Sorry for the wait. It's the SARCOS/Synchron "ExTRUEmety" model.

| >>865371

ExTRUEmety?! You gotta be fuckin kidding me! What you see it in a pharmaceutical ad after your freak accident? Way to make some cool shit like a bionic arm sound like some fuckin diabetes medication, big fan of their marketing department

Step

| >>865378
Oh, of *course* Step; you know all about how this sort of thing works: it was on side of the ambulance the paramedics hauled my half-dead ass into once the firemen pried my garage door off of me. I made *sure* to stick that name firmly into recesses of my mind before going into shock, I just *knew* it was going to come in handy (ha ha, get it?) later on.

Go give the manufacturer shit about their shitty product name instead of me.

| >>865371
>SARCOS
Please tell me you have the warranty

On a serious note I got nothing I can give you on that, maybe the first anon can help you -XII

| >>865454
What was it about this brand that prompted *that* kind of response?

Total number of posts: 26, last modified on: Sat Jan 1 00:00:00 1654227966

This thread is permanently archived