>welcome.
>...............................

| >##WELCOME TO THE TRAVEL CHANNEL##
>CURRENTLY OPERATING IN SAFE MODE
>USER ID: ARK
>"BRINGING YOU TO A PLACE."
>SINCE 1760

>NEWS:
>88/88/88 SIMSENSE TRAVEL, LEAVE YOUR BODY BEHIND! FOR GOOD.
>88/88/88 WELCOME TO GLITCH CITY! DONT STAY TOO LONG.
>21/11/7X NEW OPENINGS FILLED. LOOK UP RELATIVES IN THE NEWS FOR PROOF OF EMPLOYMENT. WE WILL NOT RETURN THEM.
>23/11/7X NEW BRANCH PROJECT COMMENCED. BE NICE TO THE NEW OPERATORS.

>ACCESSING MENU.

| >MAIN MENU
>------Current location: ||###||-----
>Local Time: NONE
>Current weather: N/A
>SIM SENSE MODE: CURRENTLY OFFLINE
>------USER: SLEEPLESSEYE------
>Messages: (5)
>Travel history: 2340
>Auth: INVISIBLE
>SOULSCREAM: ARCAND
>------------------------------
>Please enter DIAL to begin travelling
>Enter HELP to scream helplessly.
>ENTER THE LINE OF ONE LETTER COMMANDS TO SHUT OFF SAFEMODE.
>PLEASE BE PATIENT WHILE WE RECONNECT YOU TO THE MAIN NETWORK.
>FAILURE! (1)
[command]

| HELP

| >>807100
>A WAILING.
>WAITING ON RESPONSE FROM SYSTEM ADMINISTRATORS.....
>..........................
>.........................
>......................
>..................
>....................
>...........................
>.......................
>CLICK.
>NOBODY ANSWERS.
>RETURNING TO MENU....

| >MAIN MENU
>------Current location: ||###||-----
>Local Time: MISSING
>Current weather: N/A
>Messages: (5)
>Travel history: 2340
>Auth: INVISIBLE
>SOULSCREAM: ARCAND
>FAILURE! (2)

| MESSAGES

| >>807205
>FIVE MESSAGES ARE AWAITING TO BE READ.
>RETRIEVING:
>...........
>.........
>...........
>MESSAGES INCLUDE:
>[SAFEMODE GUIDELINES]
>[RE:WARNING]
>[RE:RE:RE:THEGREATFAULT]
>[BROCHURE]
>[I'M WAITING]
>PLEASE SELECT A MESSAGE TO READ
[command]

| thought my """""soulscream""""" was smth else.........

>MESSAGES

| >>807327
........christ

>[I'M WAITING]

-DEADEYE

| >>807329
>READING MESSAGE
>[OBJECT: I'M WAITING]
>[SENT TO: [USER]]
>[FROM: HOUGETSU]
>"I'm still waiting for a visit! I'll be under the rain, I have so much to say! I hope anyone reading this will come and see me. I'm tired of waiting..."
>[SENT FROM: ABERDEEN]
>[DATE OF: 56/13/1XXX]

| >>807335

>MESSAGE
>[SAFEMODE GUIDELINES]

-DEADEYE

| >>807347
>READING MESSAGE
>[OBJECT: SAFEMODE GUIDELINE]
>[SENT TO: [R.K]]
>[FROM: XV]
>"Regarding the usage of Safe-mode, please be aware that only select locations are available while operating in safe-mode. These locations include: PUR, ABD, TGF, SEA, ISL, LOP, RFL. While in safe-mode, please refrain from cutting the connection until we reconnect you to the main server. Please don't be rash. If you wish to know more, use the SUPPORT command to enter into contact with local help"

| hm........recognize like 3 of those

>MESSAGES
>[RE: WARNING]

-DEADEYE

| >>807364
>READING MESSAGE
>[OBJECT: RE:WARNING]
>[FROM: DATAMAX]
>"We do not appreciate threats. We will not reply further to any of your messages or adress any of your demands, the Travel Network is a Supranational entity, under the umbrella of the Maltese hospitalier order and DATAMAX. While burrow is an important node in our systems, we refuse to cede the network's authority to your band of thugs in ties."
>[SENT FROM: ROME]
>[DATE OF:10/11/24]

| ......the fuck?????smbdy been using my account to shit other people off??????

>MESSAGES
>[RE:RE:RE:THEGREATFAULT]

-DEADEYE

| >>807382
>READING MESSAGE
>[MESSAGE CORRUPTED, RETRIEVING DATA...]
>DONE
>[OBJECT: RE:RE:RE:THEGREATFAULT]
>[SENT TO: [R.K]]
>[FROM: XIRIA]
>"I don't know what to tell you. I've never been. I'm not too keen on it either. Also, what account are you using, this isn't your usual one is it? Talk to you later."
>[SENT FROM: BURROW, COLORADO]
>[DATE OF: 20/11/68]

| .........what the fuck????????what the fuck whos been fucking w/ my shit??????

>MESSAGES
>[BROCHURE]

-DEADEYE

| >>807385
>READING MESSAGE
>[OBJECT: BROCHURE]
>[FROM: [ARU GRANT]]
>ATTACHED PIECE: BROCHURE.JPX
>A large scale brochure, featuring a tall masked man holding a giant tuna, it says: COME TEST YOUR METTLE IN THE HOTTEST COOKING TOURNAMENT DOWN THE 49TH PARRALLEL!
>His apron is horrific looking, a mix of yellow and brown, it looks like it belongs in a new-age museum rather than on a person.
>the text on it reads: "ABSOLUTE MENACE"

| >MAIN MENU
>PUR

| >>807389
>INVALID COMMAND.
>RETRY?

| >>807388
...........aw fuck

ok whats...........up w/this safemode shit

>SUPPORT

-DEADEYE

| >>807420
>CONTACTING LOCAL DATABASE FOR SUPPORT.
>NOW CONNECTED TO LOCAL SUPPORT USER: "TRV"
>"TRV": WELCOME TO LOCAL SUPPORT MODE, SAFE-MODE IS CURRENTLY ENGAGED DUE TO A WIDESPREAD ERROR CODE IN THE TRAVEL NETWORK'S WORLDWIDE CHANNELS, THESE ERRORS MAY BE CAUSED DUE TO TECHNICAL ISSUES OR THE FALL OF BOTH GOVERNEMENT AND CIVILIZATION.
>SAFE MODE ALLOWS SIMPLE TRAVEL TO THE INNER NETWORK OF LOCALES, SITUATED IN THAT PLACE.
>IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS, ASK THEM NOW.

| >............whats gonna happen if i turn OFF safemode

-DEADEYE

| >>807428
>"TRV": QUERY ACCEPTED.
>RESPONSE: DEPENDING ON THE STATE OF THE NETWORK, IT MAY SIMPLY HELP RETURN TO THE NORMAL OPERATING MODE IF THE ERROR IS CLIENT SIDE. BUT, IF THE ERROR IS NETWORK-WIDE, IT MAY CAUSE SEVERAL ISSUES WHICH MAY ESCALATE INTO TERRIBLE CONSEQUENCES. IT IS NOT RECOMMENDED TO TURN OFF SAFEMODE UNTIL CONTACTED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR OR DATAMAX PERSONEL.
>FURTHER DETAILS CAN BE FOUND IN THE TRAVEL NETWORK WAIVER.

| ..........ok yea im not here to fuck shit up more

>whos been sending messages w/ MY account?????????

-DEADEYE

| >>807448
>RESPONSE: LAST USER ACTIVITY WAS FROM BURROW COLORADO, UNDER THE CODENAME: DECAGRAMMATON, PERSONAL NAME: RICHARD KENNEDY, ALSO KNOWN AS REO XXVI.
>R.K IS THE NETWORK ADMINISTRATOR OF THE BURROW NODE.
>SOULSCREAM IS ARCAND, AUTHENTICATOR IS "INVISIBLE"

>.............what was it they sent that earned that warning

-DEADEYE

| >>807450
>RESPONSE: HE SEEMED TO BE UNDER THE IMPRESSION THAT HE COULD "TAKE OVER" THE NETWORK, HIS ACTIONS RESULTED IN A NETWORK WIDE ERROR. HE HAS BEEN USING MULTIPLE ACCOUNTS TO SEND BOTH THREATS AND CODE BOMBS, ALTHOUGH THE INFORMATION ABOUT THOSE SPECIFIC ACCOUNTS CANNOT BE SHARED DUE TO YOUR CURRENT USER LEVEL.

>how can i make it right??????

-DEADEYE

| >>807454
>"TRV": CONTACTING EITHER THE TRAVEL NETWORK HQ AT DATAMAX WOULD BE THE BEST WAY TO FIX THE ERRORS, BUT OUR SERVICE PERSONNEL IS ALREADY ON THE CASE.
>FEEL FREE TO SIMPLY USE THE CHANNEL AS YOU WOULD NORMALLY WHILE WE FIX ANY LINGERING ERRORS THAT MAY OCCUR.
>IN THE EVENT THAT ALL ELSE FAILS, PLEASE CONTACT THE KEEPER AT THE SEASIDE.

| >thanks

>have i met them before??????

no wait if smbdys been using my handle they prob have no idea

-DEADEYE

| >>807458
>"TRV": QUERY INVALID.

| ask stupid questions get stupid answers.........

>whatre the places i can dial???????cant understand em when theyre 3 letters

-DEADEYE

| >>807460
>"TRV": CURRENT AVAILABLE LOCATIONS ARE:
>PURPURA - THEGREATFAULT - SEASIDE - ISLAND - ABERDEEN -LOOP - RAINYFIELDS .

| ........huh

>thanks

getsus msgs from aberdeen...........said shed be """""under the rain"""""""" tho

>DIAL

lets hope i remember how to do this.......

-DEADEYE

| >DIAL
>[][][]
>DIRECTORY
>CALL
>CLOSE DIAL
>Please enter the number you wish to call, enter the directory or return to the menu.
>RUNNING IN SAFE MODE, PLEASE USE SIMPLE EXTENSIONS.

| uhhhhhhhhhh

>RFL

thats right i think???????

-DEADEYE

| >>807469
>Dialing RAINYFIELD, UNKNOWN.
>...
>....
>.....
>Connected to the Emptiness.
>Returning to Menu...

| >MAIN MENU
>------Current location: RFL-----
>Local Time: 12:45:34
>Current weather: RAIN
>Messages: (0)
>Travel history: RETRIEVING...
>Auth: TRAVELLER
>SOULSCREAM: KINDNESS
>FAILURE! (3)

| >SIMSENSE MODE

idk if this is a command or if i was supposed to put it on already.........gotta pay better attention

-DEADEYE

| >>807473
>ACTIVATION SEQUENCE BEGUN.
>SYSTEM, YELLOW.
>CONNECTING...
>....
>...
>....
>DONE.
>SIMSENSE MODE ENGAGED.
>PLEASE BE MINDFUL OF PRE-INSTALLED PACKAGES AND READ THE SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS PROVIDED BY YOUR LOCAL ADMINISTRATOR.

| ........ right........now

>CALL

?????????ugh

-DEADEYE

| >CALLING......
>.....
>....
>.....
>NOBODY ANSWERS.
>RETURNING TO MENU.

| >MAIN MENU
>------Current location: RFL-----
>Local Time: 12:46:12
>Current weather: RAINY
>SIM SENSE MODE: ON
>Messages: (0)
>Travel history: [HISTORY] (2)
>Auth: Traveller
>SOULSCREAM: KINDNESS
>Please enter DIAL to change location
>Enter HELP for command list
>Enter VIEW to use the Viewfinder
>Enter BODY to check simsense availability
>Enter CULL to cut connection and return home.
>RECONNECT FAILURE (4)

| oh ok

>BODY

-DEADEYE

| >...
>....
>...
>BODY FUNCTION ACTIVATED, SIM SENSE TRAVEL INITIATED
>CONNECTED TO SAFE-MODE LAN NETWORK
>....
>...
>DIALTONE, SET.
>
>ACCESSING THAT PLACE.
>Suddenly, a jolt assails your senses through the sim-chip, a veil of images superimposes upon reality as it slowly but surely connects. The feeling is awful, it feels as if your nerves are being severed and reconnected each second.
>and then... the feeling stops.
>you are within a small phonebooth.
>WELCOME TO THE RAINY FIELDS

| >Look around

| >FLESH

-FLESH

| >>807888
>She'll never get used to this, no matter how many times it happens. Just being inside a phone booth is strange enough-- a coffin of foggy glass and rusting metal-- having it whisk her away to parts unknown, though...

>"Ugh..."

>Aikawa keels over at the waist, bracing herself with her hands on her knees as she struggles to keep herself upright. A shaky hand ventures forth to open the booth's door. Maybe some fresh air will help...

| >>808075
>The booth's door screeches as it opens, its rusted hinges offering a small degree of resistance as you push.
>The smell of wet pavement and greenery assaults the insides of the booth as fresh, crisp air rushes into it.
>The sound of the rain grows louder as the outside view becomes clearer.
>The booth seems to be placed within some kind of small parking space, next to the rusted skeleton of what was once a petrol station.
>Grey clouds flow endlessly above.

| >>808185
>Aikawa blinks, twice, slowly. She breathes deeply. Logically, she knows there's been no actual change in the quality or character of the air she's inhaled-- but, that simulated crispness still somehow manages to invigorate her, a little. She stumbles out of the booth.

>"... Are you there?"

>She waits for a response... and adds, when she doesn't get one immediately:

>"Do I gotta ask 'bout laundry soap again t'get y't'speak up?"

| >>808211
>ENCYLCOPEDIA: "That won't be needed. Please feel free to ask anything you wish to know."
>The deep voice of the encyclopedia answers you immediatly, it sounds distant, almost like it's speaking to you from afar.
>It echoes from over the pavement, into the horizon.

| >>808219
>Excellent.

>"Good t'... see... ya?"

>That's not... /exactly/ correct, but she gets the feeling the sentiment got across alright.

>"... Where am I?"

| >>808220
>ENCYCLOPEDIA: "It is good to meet you again indeed."
>The voice pauses for an instant.
>ENCYCLOPEDIA: "That is a difficult question to answer. You are currently in a false location, hosted within a subserver of the Ark sanctum tower. This is a VR space based upon the fictional US state of Pacifica."
>The Encyclopedia answers, it's voice seemingly carried away by the breeze.

| >>808227
>... She probably shouldn't have expected a straightforward explanation. It's never that simple.

>"... Are there other people here?"

>Wait, hang on a sec.

>"Whats'a... 'Ark Sanctum tower'...?"

| >>808228
>ENCYCLOPEDIA: "I cannot answer as to how many people are here."
>The wind picks up, you shiver sligthly
>SHIVER: "SOMEONE WAITS, UNDER THE TOWERS"
>A voice, travels along the wind.
>ENCYCLOPEDIA: "The Ark sanctum tower is the tallest building in the city of Malta, it is a large data-hub for corporations across the world. Think of it as a gigantic server farm."

| >>808234
>"... Where's Malta?"

>Isn't that the name of Walker's stupid dog? Er, /was/ the name-- pretty sure she's not around anymore.

| >>808235
>ENCLYCOPEDIA: "Malta is a sovereign island country situated within the eastern basin of the Mediterranean sea. It is the world's tenth smallest sovereign country"
>The encyclopedia answers
>ENCYCLOPEDIA: "The city of Malta refers to it's capital, Valletta"

| >>808234
>Aikawa winces as she feels a chill course down her spine. The icy flow floods the channel between each rib. Her chest tightens. She feels the hair on the back of her neck begin to stand on end.

>EXPLORE THE ABANDONED PETROL STATION

| >>808454
>The remains of what were once a petrol station seem completely derelict, its concrete walls are creased with stains and ruptures, exposing rusted support beams.
>There once were windows on it's facade, but now only shards remain, broken and abandonned.
>The insides don't look much better, dark and damp, the few remaining pieces of furniture (a few shelves and some counters) are broken beyond repair.
>The wind courses through the broken windows.

| >>808489
>TOUCH ONE OF THE CRUMBLING WALLS

>Something in Aikawa compels her to press the soft skin of her palm against the tired concrete.

| >>808591
>The concrete feels cool, a few flecks of crumbling paint, robbed of their color by the passage of time stick to your fingers.
>The simulation seems to ignore your hand augmentations, the feeling is incredibly natural.
>The wind passes through once more, howling sadly
>The clouds part for an instant.
>SHIVERS: "THE WALLS SPEAK OF A CONSTRUCTED PAST, OF SORROW AND RAIN. YOU FEEL THE WIND CARRY YOUR VISION HEAVENSWARD"
>[Ask it what you see]

| >>808594
>The sudden gust prompts Aikawa to look up. Her head tilts back, occiput weighted with some unseen burden, or pulled by a mysterious force. She murmurs:

>"... 'Sup there?"

| >>808597
>SHIVERS: "CLOUDS, ENDLESSLY MOVING FORWARDS, TWISTING AND TURNING, THEY BRING RAIN TO THESE LANDS. A SONG IS HEARD IN THE DISTANCE, A LULLABY."
>You feel cold, slowly rain starts to fall from the heavens.

| >>808598
>In the distance...?

>"Which way...?"

>Could it be her?

>Aikawa snaps her eyes shut as raindrops begin to splatter against her forehead, her cheeks-- she wipes at her face with the back of her sleeve.

| >>808599
>SHIVERS: "FROM THE NORTH, UNDERNEATH THE MASSIVE TOWERS WHICH DOT THE LANDSCAPE OF PACIFICA, A WOMAN SITS, SINGING UNDER AN UMBRELLA. SHE LOOKS UP."
>Your sleeve does little to dry your face as the rain picks up, despite the coldness of its droplets, you feel oddly warm.

| >>808600
>"A /woman/?"

>Aikawa's surprise is enough that she voices it aloud. Hougetsu's a little girl... unless--

>"... The other one...?"

>It can't be. Isn't she dead? She'd sworn Grant had said she wasn't walking the Earth anymore...

>HEAD FOR THE TOWERS

| >>808601
>The road to the towers is a winding affair, cracked concrete roads lay the way to the large towers in the distance.
>They are absolutely massive, their red lights flickering slowly as clouds lazily glide past.
>Slowly but surely, you make your way down the road.
>ENCYCLOPEDIA: "These towers are a sign of the decline of Pacifica, Massive data servers, meant to imprison the populace inside of a dream."

| >>808603
>"... I seen these before?"

>So many past encounters with short rows of stalwart towers; viewed through a bar window, perhaps-- or, as part of a cityscape surrounding a modest park and the bronze statue at its center. She clarifies:

>"In Burrow, or... in Glitch."

>Aikawa finds herself hoping that the wind carrying the clouds above, will also carry that lullaby to her. The Rainy Fields are desolate.

| >>808604
>ENCYCLOPEDIA: "These towers are wholly distinct from the cooling towers you saw in Burrow and Midnight. They are larger, more menacing."
>The wind does not carry the lullaby well enough for it to be comprehensible, it simply echoes aimlessly in the breeze.

|

| >>808605
>... Of course they are. Aikawa's life since moving to GC and embroiling herself and her husband in the issues of others have led to an existence bursting at the seams with odd, unlikely coincidences-- but, there has to be a limit to that; there has to be a point where it all ends.

>"..."

>Citizens imprisoned in a dream...

>"That what this is? Bein' stuck'n a dream?"

| >>812584
>[ENCYLOPEDIA]: "Yes."
>The voice answers solemnly
>The towers are getting much closer now, they loom over the fields like titans.
>The wind is strong, the rain is cold.
>The road widens into a large empty lot, covered in overgrowth.
>A small shelter stands at the end of it, right before the entrance to a gigantic tower which climbs above your vision's range
>The lullaby is clear now.
>Someone is there, taking cover from the endless rainfall.
>This is a terrible idea.

| >>812585
>SLOW UP A BIT WHILE APPROACHING THE SHELTER

>"... Where's's feelin' of dread comin' from...?"

>OBSERVE THE FIGURE FROM A SAFE (?) DISTANCE

| >>812590
>You slow down, a voice carries forth into your mind, Whimsical and filled with wonder.
>[INLAND-EMPIRE]: "It comes from the ghost who sits underneath the safety of her castle, "she" is dangerous!"
>[SHIVERS]: Dark eyes survey you, a smile forms upon the figure's visage.
>The person sitting beneath the shelter seems to be a person of average height, it is too dark to tell anything else about them without coming closer.

| >>812597
>CLOSE THE DISTANCE WITH CAUTION

>"Ghost, huh...?"

>Maybe she /did/ get it right-- or at least, halfway right. People leaving their physical bodies to rot while allowing their conscious to float freely in the 'net isn't completely unheard of...

>"... Dangerous t'who...?"

>It's a dream-- Aikawa tells herself this a few times in a row. It's a dream...

| >>812598
>[INLAND-EMPIRE]: "Dangerous to the whole world! You stand before the ghost of a terrible demon!"
>[ENCYCLOPEDIA]: "There is a 95% chance that this person is in fact: not a demon."
>You slowly close the distance as the voices fill your head.
>As you do, the figure starts to approach as well, coming squarely into view.
>The first thing you notice, before even her face or features register into your mind is this:
>What an awful shirt
>"OUT OF IT", written in gaudy lettering.

| >The woman who stands before you is... Unique looking.
>Her black hair is styled into a messy bob, only too long to be called a proper "cut". Her bangs are uneven and colored in wildly varying shades of pink and blue, she obviously cut them herself.
>The bangs hide her left eye, leaving only the right one exposed, a black abyss that stares back into your own.
>A large amount of piercings are attached to her ears and around her face.
>She smiles, exposing sharp, pearly white teeth

| >>812600
>Aikawa narrowly resists the urge to silence the squabbling in her head with a snarled "Shut up!" Would it be accurate for her to say she can't hear herself think? Or, would it be more appropriate to say that she /can/-- and that's precisely what the problem is?

>>812605
>... So, this is her. Shimamura Hougetsu; the namesake of Grant's timid-- yet in some ways, bold-- apprentice. Aikawa raises her hand in greeting.

>BE COOL

>"... Hey."

| >>812606
>[ENCYCLOPEDIA]: "Remember that five percent chance? Well, she *is* a demon, who else could wear something like this in these times?"
>The woman's smile is gentle despite her odd appearance, she walks forward. Her gait wide and open, almost fearless.
>She comes mere inches from you before stopping.
>Her eyes stares deep into your own.
"Yo~ I've been waiting for you."
>Her voice is girly, soft and bubbly. Yet a sense of gravitas flows freely from it
>It feels disjointed.

| >>812607
>... She can't claim to have seen worse. This is literally the most atrocious style of dress she's ever seen. The fashion police would have this woman behind bars on sight. Aikawa's eyes wander from detail to mismatched detail. If this woman is trying to make a statement, she's succeeding in a loud and triumphant manner-- but there's too much noise to tell what the actual message is.

>"... Yeah?"

>She wonders, for how long.

| >>812622
>Hougetsu Shimamura smiles widely, she nods with vigor
"Yeah, I did, for a lo~ng time you know? I was wondering when anyone would get here."
>She's still very close to you, this woman obviously has no concept of personal space
"To think it would be you though? I expected the other guy to be more intruiged, you know, Roy Walker? I think Victor got to him first though that one time."
>She chuckles
"Also, please don't make fun of my style, Aikawa Ei-san"
>She taps her temple.

| >>812626
>"Anyone", huh? So, she wasn't just waiting for /me/...

"... Victor?"

>Does she remember a Victor? The name isn't ringing a bell... Aikawa is in the midst of mulling it over when something else Hougetsu has mentioned suddenly gets her attention.

"... Wait, >>>Walker's come through here?!"

>Er, not "here"-- not this place; she said she's been waiting-- but, he's used the Travel Channel before? Since when?

"..."

| >>812628
>Shimamura just keeps smiling
"Wow, you sure have a lot of questions, it's been so long I've talked to anyone, are all young people like that now?"
>She takes a step back, finally giving you some breathing room.
>[ENCYLOPEDIA]: "The Victor she speaks of is probably system administrator fifteen, Victor Raynolds. He's the one who sent my package to your account."
>The Encyclopedia explains.

| >Shimamura rests her hands upon her hips, bending forward ever so slightly.
>The myriad of belts that hold her waist hugging black shorts in place rattle as she does.
>You count five, all twisted together in some kind of unruly amalgamation of tightness, each adorned with an equally awful buckle, blossoming into a pastel rainbow amidst the black base.
>The kaleidoscope is almost hypnotic.
"But hey, this isn't the best spot to talk, lets get out of this rain yeah?"
>She giggles

| >>812632
>Yeah, most young people /are/ like this... if they've suddenly been transported to the middle of bumfuck nowhere by way of magic telephone. Aikawa raises an eyebrow-- what was she expecting, really?

"Hey, you wanna ask some, be my guest."

>>812651
>She grunts in agreement, eager to follow this wannabe Kingdom Hearts character to somewhere a lot less wet. Lead the way, HougetSora...

| >>812652
"Hey, *you* chose to come here yeah?"
>Shimamura shakes her head slightly before making her way to the large tower's entrance, a brutalistic affair dimly lit by neon light
"but yeah I *could* ask the questions, but then what should I ask? It's been such a while since I even got to talk to anyone that wasn't some zombie."
>She ponders for a moment, playing with her pierced ear, making a small chain tied to it rattle
"Oh! I know, How's little Aru doin?"
>She asks with a grin

| >>812654
">>>'Little'? Guy's 6'4"."

>Aikawa combs her fingers through her bangs, making a half hearted attempt to wring the water from her hair. It trickles in unimpressive rivulets between her knuckles, which quickly run dry with her lack of effort.

"..."

>Does she tell her?

"What, doesn't come t'visit?"

>... Not yet. Not until she figures out whether this woman is the 5, or the 95.

| >>812662
>Shimamura looks towards ceiling.
>She wears a sour smile.
"Hmm, well I'd guess he knows better than to come visit, or else I'd have mentioned it to him."
>She shakes off her own sheen of rain, taking off her coat.
"I'm sure he's aware I'm still out there though, He *did* name that little one after me, clever little bastard he is."
>There's a hint of pride in her voice, despite her words
"Also, don't worry about the demon thing, the bino was refferin' to my outfit"

| >>812690
"... Rather keep the distance?"

>Aikawa mirrors Shimamura, and unzips her jacket, shrugging it off and tucking it under her arm. Droplets hang from sagging corners of it's fabric.

"... Usually go namin' people after other people when they >>>ain't 'out there' anymore."

>Unless "out there" is somewhere 6 feet under...

| >>812733
"Well, silly-looking as I am, I still WAS his master, I believe not meeting me after I dissapeared without notice is his own way of being considerate of me"
>She shrugs in an exaggerated manner, winking.
"Plus, calling me dead ain't wrong, I just played a little trick on death y'see?"
>[INLAND-EMPIRE]: "I told you she was a ghost, beware of her powers of possession!"
>[ENCYCLOPEDIA]: "The only power she has is to read you like an open book."

| >>812736
"Lil' trick, huh..."

>Lots of people pulling fast ones on the reaper these days. Body swapping, ghost dubbing-- guy's gotta up his game if he wants to stay busy.

"Sure he knows you're here?"

>Aikawa begins to roll her eyes as the skills threaten to bicker-- but stops herself. Wouldn't want her new acquaintance to think she was dissing her further. We got that out of the way with the commentary on her clothing-- that's all done, now.

| >>812736
>"... Who's the new guy?"

>That one obsessed with the paranormal who's piped up a few times. Aikawa doesn't remember /him/ accompanying her on her brief tour of the laundromat.

>"... Bring'ny /other/ friends with ya?"

| >>812737
>Shimamura shakes her head
"Well, I doubt he knows my actual location, but I'm sure he's aware."
>She pauses for a beat, staring straight at you.
"He's a smart kid, he's always on point with these kinds of things."
>The Ex-Demiurge opens the doors to the insides of the tower
"He's just a tad too social for the position, so please continue getting along with him yeah?"
>[ENCYCLOPEDIA]: "The paranormal loving one is Inland-Empire, do not listen to anything he says"

| >[INLAND-EMPIRE]: "I am the power of your supranatural abilities, the imagination that is yours to command! Trust in me and you shall master the *impossible*"
>The voice rattles on.
>[ENCYCLOPEDIA]: "See what I meant? There seems to be another package alongside him that has been installed, It is called Interfacing."

| >>812754
"... Guy's a >>>recluse. How much less 'social's he gotta>>>be?"

>The only person he regularly spends time with is that "little one" Shimamura mentioned...

>"... Shit. Got 'supernatural abilities.' now? /Wiz/."

>Interfacing, huh?

>"... He ain't done any talkin'."

| >>812771
>Shimamura chuckles as she motions to the insides of the building.
"A recluse wouldn't have regulars, I certainly didn't. I think I spent most of my years talking to myself"
>She says, pausing all motion, she smiles widely.
"Maybe it explains a few things about me yeah?"
>She says with unabashed confidence, her oddness seems to be a point of pride, almost as if defying expectations was her whole raison d'être.
[ENCYCLOPEDIA]: "He has specific talents, mechanics and tech."

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

| >>812754 >>812785
>Aikawa nods and follows Hougetsu Sr.'s gesture towards the doors before them, and proceeds to enter the building.

| >>817275
>The interior of the building is as impressive as it's exterior, the gigantic atrium is open up to the top of the tower, A large central structure connects to a myriad of floors by thin passageways, all covered in thick cables and glowing signal lights.
>Shimamura looks around for a short while
"Man, I was thinking of finding someplace to sit, get to talk all calm like... guess I expected too much from some server farm thing."
>She sighs heavily

| >>817292
>Aikawa takes a long, dizzying glance upward at row upon row of balconies encircling the space around them; walls carved with deep corrugations leading back to... to what, exactly? Having never seen something like this before, guessing at what hides in the shadows beneath these webs of cables seems impossible.

"... First time here?"

>It must be-- why else would she pick this tower (of all places) to wait beside in the rain?

| >>817971
>Shimamura nods
"This whole place is new to me, you caught me while I was on my way somewhere."
>She sounds the tiniest bit exasperated
"I guess we should get a move on then, this place is probably not exactly comfortable to you either yeah?"
>She pauses, holding a finger to her chin, deep in thought
"Mountain or Sea?"
>What?

|

|

| >>818165
"... Not really."

>... Yes, "what" indeed-- is she... offering to bring them somewhere else?

"... Any other choices 'sides those?"

>Aikawa can't say she's particularly fond of either of them. Though, the latter... the latter reminds her of her grandmother, so perhaps if she /had/ to pick between the two, that would be her choice.

| >>819611
>Shimamura's lip forms the slightest scowl as she shrugs.
"I mean, Leaving GC just to go into another town or city sounds kinda redundant yeah?"
>The woman scratches her head
"It's just like, if you're japanese it's gotta be the mountain or the sea when you're away from the bustle yeah? Maybe that's an old thing?"

| >>820271
"... Yyy>>>yeah, 's an old thing."

>Aikawa gives a tiny, brisk nod, flashing a row of teeth at Shimamura as she grimaces. Is she so out of touch? The paramedic sighs.

"... Sea't is."

| >>820486
>Shimamura nods.
"Sea it is then."
>A voice resounds all around you suddenly, its tone mechanical and cold.
>"ADMINISTRATOR HOUGETSU SHIMAMURA HAS INITIATED A TRAVEL REQUEST TO: SEASIDE, TP"
>"DO YOU ACCEPT THIS TRAVEL REQUEST?"
>(Y/N)

>Shimamura smiles
"Let's get going then, yeah? I've got a lot to talk about, and I'm sure you do too. We'll be better off there than we are here."
>A beat
"Unless you like this mind numbing architecture of course."
>She points upwards

|

|

|

|

|

|

| >>820494
>"... Guess so, yeah."
>(Y)

>Aikawa steels herself for... something. She doesn't know what, just yet. That sickening feeling that comes with phone booth travel...?

"... Nah. Not inta that kinda thing."

| >>823352
>It comes suddenly
>Almost frighteningly so
>A feeling of sickness, the tangible realm dissolving into nonsensical azimuths and shadows as sensory perception is dragged into the realm of binary data
>The world itself decays, it's afterimage stretching and contorting into an endless flow of meaningless information, unobserved.
>The moment stretches ever onward, time grinds to a halt.
>Sunlight greets both the travellers as the sound of waves brings forth renewed perception.

| >Above: an endless, clear, electric blue sky.
>Below; pale waves cresting upon the beach, crashing rhythmically.
>All around: The smell of salt, overpowering the senses.
>You both stand upon a large concrete breakwater, terribly aged and worn down. Cracks, like wrinkles cover its whole surface.
>An island sways gently within the distance, the heat twisting it like a hazy mirage.
>A choir of cicada proves to be the only welcome provided to both travellers.
>Welcome to the seaside.

| >Shimamura groans as the sensation of travel finally leaves her.
>She never got used to it.
>The woman chuckles to herself.
"Well, sorry to inflict that on you yeah?"
>She smiles apologeticaly at Aikawa.
"Can you stand alright?"

| >>823488
>Safe to say, Shimamura's guest will never come to love this kind of travel, either.

"..."

>She's rigid as a board. Dig her feet a little deeper in the sand, and she'd be rooted there like a palm tree.

"..."

>A... very frazzled palm tree. One that could probably use more sun, it's looking a little washed out, at the moment.

"... Ugh..."

>It feels like all of her insides shot up into her skull on their way there. Only now are they slithering back down...

| >>823520
>Shimamura places a hand on your shoulder, stroking your back.
>Her touch is gentle.
"Just breathe in deeply, sorry about that, I didn't think direct travel would get you feeling so sick. That's my bad."
>The woman grimaces

| Welcome_to_the_сum_zone.exe

|

|

|

| >>823530
>Aikawa keeps her mouth clamped shut-- worried that if she opens it, something is going to come spilling out. She groans quietly in displeasure.

"..."

>Can you at least... /think/ to her some kind of reassurance, if you're so intent on keeping quiet?

"Hmmgnhh..."

>"... Y'didn't know. S'alright... get motion sick a lot."

>She tries to focus on the sea breeze.

| >The breeze is calm and soothing, it's rhythmic pulse slowly beats as if unison with your own breathing.
>The sea glistens, its edge slowly melting away within the endless expanses, melding as one with the boundless sky.
>A calmness reigns here, yet unlike the rainy fields the travellers had visited; this one feels natural.
>As if the soothing embrace of a loved one, one whomst forgives all.
>A seagull sings.
>The wind blows softly.
>This feels right.

|

|

|

|

| >>826466
>"... 'Ma...?"

>... It sure feels like her, doesn't it?

"..."

>Was this what her had grandmother felt, during all those years she'd spent diving for pearls? All those years immersed in the brine; cautious of the ningyo, reverent of the amabie...

"... Jeez."

>Each breath held fast in descent through the cool, dark, depths... how did they find their treasure?

"... Didn't know it could be this pretty."

| >>827499
>Shimamura simply basks in the sunlight, relishing it's warmth.
>She helps Aikawa to her feet, with slow, practiced motions.
"It is isn't it?"
>She grins, exposing her bright white teeth.
"It almost makes me wanna go for a swim, just forget about things for a while, yeah?"
>She says, half-jokingly.

| >>827550
"... D'ya know how?"

>Roy hasn't gotten around to teaching her, just yet. Maybe even just wading in knee-deep would be nice...

| >>827623
>Shimamura's eyes peer over the distance, looking over the beach and sea.
>Her bangs flutter in the wind, exposing the dark eyes beneath
"Wanna walk down to the beach then?"
>She says, turning her gaze to meet Aikawa's.

| >>827632
"... Sure."

>Why not? The only other thing they came here to do was talk. Aikawa appears thoughtful, for a moment, then decides to remove her shoes. This is... the /correct/ way to stroll along the beach, right? Gotta get that perfect white sand between your toes, or whatever?

"..."

>"... What is't people like 'bout walkin'n this stuff, anyway?"

| >>827798
>Shimamura leads the way, down the concrete breakwater unto the beach's white sand.
>She would take off her boots, but seeing the complex set of laces and buckles holding them on her feet, she decides to simply give up on the idea.
"The water should be comfortable, it always is out here."
>She says with a grin
>[ENCYCLOPEDIA]: "The average sea temperature in this area is around 80F"
>[INLAND EMPIRE]: Your feet bare, you connect with the beach! It is a pure ivory kingdom!

| >>827800
"... Water's so clear..."

>It was never like that in Niihama, was it? Not the part you lived in.

"..."

>"New guy /always/ like this?"

| >>827801
>[SHIVERS]: A trembling within your spine, a slight sign of forbodding hits your body, the waves which you are observing whisper to you: "He's always like this"
>[INLAND EMPIRE]: "Now is the time, this kingdom is yours: Take that which is yours! Trample over it as you see fit!"
>Shimamura chuckles
"They get a tad loud, yeah?"

|

| >>827802
"... Who're they, anyway?"

>She remembers their origin-- she'd installed a couple of them from a massive package she'd been "gifted" and subsequently downloaded during her last encounter with the Travel Channel. That's where they came from-- but, /who/ are they? Who brought them into being, and why?

"... Kinda talky, yeah."

>Aikawa sidles closer to the water, letting the waves lap at the edge of her foot.

| >>828216
>The waves are warm and inviting, their cresting waves listlessly crash against your two feet.
>Overhead, several seagulls cry out as they soar into the azure arches above.
>On the horizon, a large island shimmers within the summer haze, almost as if a mirage.

| >>828216
>Shimamura becomes pensive for a moment before nodding to herself
"They're part of a Demiurge's powers, one could say I made them up."
>Her expression is nostalgic, as if she was reminiscing on the past.
>Despite the gentleness of her expression her smile is like that of a predator, hungry. The smile lasts only a moment, before dissapearing.
"They're just a stopgap to make sure your perception is varied, instead of static, useful isn't it?"
>She says

| >>828289
"... So... Grant's gotta listen t'all this, too?"

>Aikawa points at her head as she cocks it to the side questioningly. The more she learns about how Aru sees the world, the less she envies him. Driven mad by the thoughts of those around you, and by your own... how does he "turn it off"? How does he function?

"..."

>... Is this the future that's in store for his apprentice?

|

| >>828405
>Shimamura shakes her head
"No, My disciple was... not very good at handling my powers, his own thoughts are plenty for him."
>She stares into the horizon, her eyes darken.
"As for my small namesake, I believe she has already accheived control over the multitude of thoughts. Being so young brings a certain... flexibility to one's learning ability."
>The Ancient Demiurge smiles
"The water is nice isn't it?"

|

|

|

| What

|

|

|

|

| >>829043
>Aikawa gives a little sigh of relief when Shimamura reassures her that Aru does /not/, in fact, have a chorus of questionably helpful voices spouting off in his head at all times.

"... What?"

>That brief calm is quickly overtaken by surprise when the woman continues on to talk about Hougetsu-- as Aikawa knows her. Is that why she's so quiet? All of this infernal-- ah, /internal/ chatter...?

"... Is, yeah."

| >>832554
>Shimamura smiles wistfuly
"For her, I believe those voices are more comfortable than the choir."
>She shakes her head, banishing the thoughts.
"Have you never wondered why she was so devoid of color? Maybe that is something you should ask my young successor when you see him again."
>Shimamura crouches down, picking up a stone.
"But surely I should tell you now why I left all those messages out there yeah?"
>She flicks the stone away, it sinks without a single bounce.

|

|

|

|

| >>832857
>... No. She never did. Even with Shimamura's suggestion, she's not sure she should. Aikawa's memories drift to the last time she saw the diminutive Demiurge-to-be-- clad in a t-shirt 7 sizes too large for her, huddled up on the Major's couch watching pro wrestling... the circumstances surrounding their last meeting were certainly strange ones.

"... Messages?"

>Hadn't she only just seen the one? What did she miss?

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|