danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
[Setting] Starchild Coffee

| "Welcome to Starchild, may I take your order?"

>The man blinks slowly. He's frozen in the middle of seating himself at a covered table on the cafe's patio, not having expected a member of the staff to approach him so quickly. Are they desperate for business? Hurting for customers? Or, just heavily committed to customer service?

| >The server waits patiently for the man's request. It has to, for you see, the cafe appears to be manned only by automated units of various shapes and sizes. Crude mechanical arms behind the counter swirl patterns onto latte foam with robotic precision. Tiered mobile trays bus orders to patrons, their separate compartments keeping food and drink at perfect temperatures for consumption. Is it a gimmick, or a way for the owner to save money?

"A red-eye, please."

| >The server unit sounds a soft chime as the man's order is registered, and transmitted instantly to the kitchenette within. His drink will be ready in mere seconds. The unit informs him of this. He finds it unsurprising.

>There was no real reason he'd never visited before... he finds himself wondering now if it was worth coming here at all in the first place.

"And for you, miss?"

| >Another question from their busbot, this one directed at the withdrawn woman sitting quietly beside the man. She shifts uneasily in her wheelchair. She opens her mouth, but no words come out. Her eyes find something else to focus on that isn't their server. The man answers in her stead.

"She's all set."

>There's a chipper warble from their server. It wiggles a little, seemingly overjoyed to perform its function. The man wonders to himself if it was programmed that way.

| "Please let me know if she changes her mind! Here at Starchild, we aim to please."

>The bot spins in place, and heads towards the cafe entrance. It's job outside is done, for the time being. The man turns to the woman accompanying him.

"Well, Val... what d'you think of that?"

>Her lips twitch. After some time, she manages to hum a low note in response. The man smirks, and sighs.

| > Dashed inside, foot-strung sliding across the floor — a tall, silver-haired high-schooler jams into the coffeeshop with glimmering eyes. She drove past, ignoring the crowd and so, finding herself begging to be noticed by the staffs.

"Hey, hey! I want to order something!"

> Purplish uniform; an attribute of St. Miriam's. She waves her hands up, as if to enforce her wants and needs now.

| >>751324
>A server unit identical to the one milling about the front patio appears by her side. Perhaps it's the same one? There are no easily identifiable markings to distinguish one 'bot from another.

"How may I help you, miss?"

| >>751323
>A wheeled droid the size of a small ottoman emerges from a previously unseen exit. It looks like a high tech catflap, or a fancy doggy door. The man seems amused by this. The door closes behind the 'bot as it takes off in a beeline towards their table.

>It parks itself adjacent to the man's chair. With a soft "click", the panel on top of the unit is released from whatever has been holding it in place. A tower of trays rises up from inside the unit's chassis.

| >>751329
>On the middle tray rests the man's coffee. He takes the cup and it's matching saucer carefully. The tiered trays retract. Once he's had a sip, the droid moves onto it's next delivery.

"... Not bad."

>Certainly beats whatever's available in the break room. A light breeze blows tendrils of steam from the confines of the cup's edges. The woman tucks a few stray strand of hair behind her ear.

| >A group of three figures enter the bar, each member has their faces mostly hidden under a half-mask and has pistols strapped to their sides. The group is led by a man, dressed in a olive hunting jacket and a pair of jeans in a light shade of blue. He has a small but prominent scars above his right eye. A pair of headsets is worn over a green fleece beanie, which in turn covers the man's short raven-black hair.

| >Immediately following him is a female, dressed in a brown leather jacket and a pair of jeans in a more lively navy blue. A plain silver nacklace and a black woolen turtleneck can be spotted underneath the half-zipped jacket, matching the beanie covering her shoulder-length bob. In her ears is a pair of small, wireless earbuds. Her brown eyes scanning the premise with suspicion as the group enters.

| >The last figure of the group is a tall man, dressed in plaid button-down shirt and a pair of grey combat pants. He has a headset similar to the first figure's, but worn instead over a black ball-cap. Although his face, like the others, is mostly hidden, you somehow are able to sense that he's smiling. If you looks very closely at his left arm, you might notice that it is a prosthetic, albeit a very real-looking one.

| >>751328
"Well well... Do you have anything with tea? That's the buzz I'm looking for!"

> The girl measures her environment, gliding her head to and fro, sensing the new arrivals.

| >>751341 >>751343 >>751345
>All machines in the room stiffen for a moment. They become lifeless statues in half the blink of an eye. The aperture lense of a camera upon the wall, obscured by a mirrored glass dome, expands and contracts. Then, all activity resumes. You would've thought the power had cut out were it not for the lowered mood lighting remaining on throughout the pause.

>One of the server units approaches. It's touchpad screen wears a friendly face.

| >>751357
"I apologize for the inconvenience ladies and gentlemen, but for the safety of our staff and patrons, we do not allow firearms inside of our cafe."

| >>751350
"Certainly! We stock a variety of teas in different flavors, both iced and hot."

>The unit's screen loses it's simple, bland expression. It instead displays several beverages, many of them colorful. It seems fruit teas are popular here.

"Please feel free to peruse the menu! I am happy to answer any questions you might have about our drinks."

| >The man at the covered table outside watches the proceedings inside the cafe with vague disinterest. The umbrella shading him and his guest from the sun casts a hazy shadow on his face.

"Huh. Not the kinda crowd I'd expect here on a brunch date..."

>He shrugs. The woman by his side seems to tense up at the sight of the armed individuals inside the cafe. She balls one of her hands into a fist.

"... Valerie? You alright?"

| >>751357 >>751360
>The woman in the group eyes the machine with the look of distrust.

"If we plan to shoot up this place, we wouldn't be carrying just a pist-"

>The lead man, however, holds up a hand to cut off the woman's speech. He softly addresses his companion.

"Val, love. You don't need to, we're not here to shoot anyone."

"But-"

"We've agreed to it, we have to follow the rules."

>The female back down, the lead man turns back to address the bot.

"Very well then."

| >He pulls the pistol out, slowly as to not threaten anyone. He hands the pistol to his male companion.

"Keep these safe and wait outside, would you lad? I promise I'll get your order right."

>The man silently nods.

>His female companion does the same and the last man in the group takes both their pistols and leaves the shop.

>The remaining two figures turn to the bot. The woman clearly upset that she's disarmed. The man, however, remains neutral.

"Well?"

| >>751361
"Give me something cool; a matcha or those weird orange pumpkin things. Are you okay with that?"

> The girl turns to face the rowdy bunch — them military boys — and nicked an expression that declares interest.

"What rogues.."

| >>751367
>The man eyes the highschooler back and pulls down his mask, revealing his face, which is clean shaven but still looking somehow grim and tough. He smiles at the girl before remarking;

"You've got a sharp tongue, young lady. Reminds me of this girl I knew before I joined the army."

>The man speaks with a light RP accent, his cheerful tone, contradicting his rough looks.

| >>751373
"I'll take that as a compliment. Thanks."

> Likewise, the girl carried out a friendly smile.

"Guns are prohibited, eh? It makes you think about who owns this place. They must be strict on things, for sure."

| >>751366
>The unit's screen briefly flashes a "thumbs up" symbol before it's face returns. It smiles widely. It's synthesized voice is cheerful, and saccharine.

"We thank you very much for complying with our safety policy. I again apologize for any inconvenience. Now, how may I help you?"

>It idles as it awaits the group's orders.

| >>751367
>"Are you okay with that?"

"Of course, miss."

>Normally, such a question would throw a droid like this one into a fit. Choice paralysis. Is it correct to assume the customer is truly indifferent? Should further information be requested to better discern their preferences? They aim to please, here at Starchild Coffee... The unit consults it's log of recent orders. Statistics will settle this dilemma.

| >>751385
"Our menu currently includes a seasonal latte made with a hint of kabocha puree. The subtle sweetness it lends to the drink is one that many of our customers enjoy."

>A promotional picture of the latte fills the unit's screen. A cup of iced coffee, topped with a huge spire of whipped cream, sitting next to a sliced open pumpkin. Seeds spill from the inside onto the table. They are carefully arranged to appear scattered, in an attractive manner.

| >>751386
> The unit's spoken words attracted the girl to a daze. Promotional images lure in her taste, leaving her to awkwardly point at the product before it's even ordered.

"Pumpkins? That's a whole pumpkin, right? I'll try that, hmm! Give it your best, chef!"

| > A muted impact can be heard outside, followed by a few gasps and someone apologizing. Soon after, a tall, lanky lilim walks in, looking around. He seems to be looking for someone in particular but doesn't seem to be sure either

> Feeling awkward, he simply lines up behind the group in front of him, okay with simply being someone in a crowd for right now

| >>751382
"I would like some tea, Earl Grey, if you have them. Then I'll take an iced espresso to go, for my good man outside."

>The man speaks, gesturing to the man waiting outside as he makes the second order. Once he is done, he turns to his female companion, who eyes the bot suspiciously for a second more, before sighing.

"I'll take a latte."

| >>751381
"Does make you think, doesn't it. Then again, rules are rules, it is what it is, eh?"

>He replies, letting out a soft laugh.

"What's your name, lass?"

| >Another face makes its arrival within the Cafe, an albino woman with large reddish eyes and flowing white hair, contrasting with her large red coat covered in zippers and pockets.
>Her gait is wide, and betrays high confidence despite her seemingly sickly appearance.
>She brushes off a few strands of hair from her face as she looks around to find anyone to serve her.

| >>751387
>"A whole pumpkin?"

"It is not >>>quite a whole pumpkin, miss."

>Too much will make this more a smoothie than a latte. This is not the worst thing that could happen, though, considering the girl's original request for "something cool".

"If you would like, we can add extra puree for a stronger flavor."

| >>751537
>The server unit turns itself towards the cafe's bar. One of the disembodied arms working behind seems to acknowledge the order update with a wave. This action takes place for the sake of the customers: it is entirely scripted. The automated staff have no need for face-to-face communication.

"How will you be paying, miss? We accept both card and credstick, here."

| >>751446
"We most certainly do have Earl Grey tea! Are there any customizations you would like applied to your order?"

| >>751389
>Dishware clatters upon the cafe's tables. The legs of chairs rattle and squeak against the polished floorboards. Some customers exclaim in alarm, including the man seated on the patio. All is then silent.

"Jesus... guy could've tried to stick his landing a little more smoothly."

>The man grumbles into his mug once the coffee it holds settles.

| >>751543
>You are next in line to have your order taken.

| >>751474
>You are second in line to have your order taken. Please wait patiently. One of our servers will assist you very shortly.

| >>751539
"No, it's alright. Just plain old Earl Grey."

>The man replies, before walking over to take a seat at one of the tables, his eyes scanning around, as if looking for somebody.

"Yep, me neither, a normal hot latte for me."

>The woman adds. She speaks with a similar accent to the man. Her voice is quite neutral, although there seems to be a little bit of a tired tone to it. She follows the man and takes a seat.

| >>751543 >>751546

"Ahhhh I'm sorry! I was in a big rush? I didn't break anything right?"

> The lilim looks worried, looking around trying to see if he could have damaged anything. He gives an apologetic smile and turns away, blushing slightly. Might as well get a look at the menu so I know what to order, he thinks

| >>751602
>The brit and his female friend turns to look at the lilim.

"You alright, lad? Were you running from something?"

| >>751656

> The lilim perks up, standing up to his full height as opposed to his more slouched and relaxed state of embarrassment. He was pretty tall, it seems

"Oh! I'm daijoubu. Just had to make it over here in a hurry! Yep!"

| >>751686
"Huh, Fox? Is that you lad?"

>The brit replies, having taken a closer look at the lilim. He smiles, recognizing the lilim. The man was who Fox would recognize as Impulse. The woman, however, you don't believe to have met before.

"You're here to find the broken keyboard guy as well, right?"

| >>751687
"Hi yes! Sorry, I'm a little.... uh..."

> Fox takes a step back and dusts himself off a bit

"I'm umm.... I'm here on official business really? I think I am anyway"

| >>751689
>Impulse raises an eyebrow.

"Right, okay... and do you want to tell me what that official business is?"

| >>751693

"What the business is? It's official! I... have to keep it private to protect them! That's what Ayanami-sensei told me I should do if I want to be serious."

> He loosens the bag on his back and digs around in it, pulling out a package of some sort. As he does so, a few vents can be heard opening with hisses

"A good courier needs to keep it close to their chest! Or that's what Dusty says"

| >>751726
"Fair enough."

>Impulse replies, returning to his smile. He then tries to switch up the topic.

"Oh, I don't think you've met Valentine yet."

>He gestures towards his female companion, who takes her masl off smiles at you as well, although her smile seems nervous and somewhat forced.

| >>751565
>Arms behind the counter not already occupied with mixing a drink or preparing light fare shudder to life as Impulse completes his group's order. Some have multiple attachments to aid in their work. Nozzles dispense boiling water to brew, or blow compressed air to fluff latte foam. A grating whir fills the cafe as beans are ground to just the right coarseness. The scents mingling in the air are exquisite.

| >>751602 >>751686 >>751726
>Having finished it's business with Impulse and Valentine, the server unit addresses the lilim politely.

"Hello, sir. How may I help you?"

>It then notices that the customer they wish to help appears to be embroiled in conversation.

"Pardon me, I did not mean to interrupt. Shall I return a little later?"

| >>751771
>Valentine watches warily at the robots working to complete their orders, then turns to take a glimpse at the other man waiting outside and then to Impulse.

>"I don't like this..."

>She whispers to Impulse, who takes her hand in his, giving it a light squeeze. He gives her an encouraging smile before pulling her closer and whispering into her ear.

>"It's alright. We can make this quick, then we'll be out in a jiffy, everything will be fine."

| >>751729

> Fox waves his hand nervously as if to say hi before realizing it's his turn to order

>>751772

"大丈夫! I can order right now. Can I please just get umm... a peppermint latte? But with ice! Yeah, cold, please"

> The lilim still seems a little flustered

| >>751811
>The woman who had entered just a few minutes after the lilim looks at him straight on, her last few minutes having been spent racking her brain, trying to remember where she had met the courier.
>She almost gave up, but then images of pink smoke and a sleeping incident brought her clarity.
>She chuckles and stays otherwise silent within the line

| >>751811
>"A peppermint latte."

"Of course, sir."

>The likelihood of such a drink being ordered without some sort of chocolate drizzle is slim.

"Will that be all?"

>The automated server anticipates possible answers. It outlines the outcomes for over 500 of them. It plots and plans it's eventual course of action.

| >>751821
>You are next in line to have your order taken. We thank you for your patience.

| >>751885
>The woman nods
"I'll take a coffee, black."
>She says, plainly.

| >>751884

"Yes! That's it really! Thank you very much"

> Fox pulls out a card and places it on the counter in front of him, since he didn't see a tray where he could set it down

| >Valentine gets out of the embrace. She smiles at the man beside her, considerably less forced this time.

"I'll go pay."

>Impulse nods and watches as Valentine stands up and makes her way back towards the counter, her smile dissipating as she takes out a card and places it beside Fox's.

>>751909
>She sighs then taps the lilim on the shoulder.

"Hey, Fox, right?"

| >>751912

"Hmm? Yes, I am Fox. Can I help you, Valentine-san?"

> Fox looks on inquisitively, having now cooled off a bit from his original nervous state, both literally and figuratively

| >A twentysomething breezes into the cafe! There's a long bag slung over her shoulder. It covers almost her entire back, complete with a single strap. Her sleek blue-black bob grabs attention under the brim of her baseball cap while the rest of her dresses light and plain. An unzipped hoodie, tucked t-shirt, shorts. Sandals.
>She finds the line while taking out an earbud.

| >>751921
"Uh, hey, I just want to formally introduce myself. I'm Valentine Storm, sorry back there if I was a bit rude, I just wasn't feeling comfortable."

>Valentine still seems a bit nervous as she introduces herself, she awkwardly holds out her hand for a handshake.

"Look, uh, I'm sure you're a nice enough guy, and I've met your roommate before so I think it's only right to introduce myself. I'm just... not in my element right now."

| >>751927
“いいよね. I understand! Ayanami Fox is my actual name but Fox works just as well. Nice to meet you. I hope Dusty didn’t give you trouble”

> He gives her hand a shake, his hands a little cool to the touch compared to what a human would be like

| >>751951
>Valentine seems a little surprised at how cold your hand is, but smiles at you, and this time it seems to be a genuine one.

"Oh, no, not at all. Don't worry, she was really nice."

|

| >A brown-haired woman prances inside. A navy blue parka and a touch of even lighter blue as her shirt. Lacking a reason, she awaits service and her attention is hurled at the existing patrons.

| >A young green-haired woman stepped into the café, who, upon sitting down at one of the table sighed in momentary bliss before, showing a look of displeasure at how her body reacted to finally sitting down. She wore glasses and a standard NSFMed Uniform, along with a pink overcoat and some trainers. She gave off a sort of nerdy punk rock vibe, that was only brought down to earth by what she wore.

"Ughh... I need a nap..."

| >>751538
"Give me the best you can; or, as they say around here: Surprise me!"

> The girl eases up a credstick from her blazer's pocket, taking it out as if it was a worthless thing.

"I have credit. Show me where I can stick this!"

| >>751909 >>751912
>The cards placed on the counter are deftly snatched by an artificial limb that has finished it's task. One by one they are slotted into something hidden beneath. When will they be returned? A nondescript chime plays twice.

>>752551
>The automated waitstaff turns its body towards the counter. It indicates where others have left payment previously.

"Upon the cafe bar would be preferable, miss."

| >>751447
> The girl had taken her time bearing witness to the new ins and outs before she could come over and reply to the question.

"Hey hey, I didn't answer your question before did I, Mister Army-Man? It's Cynthia. Cynthia Vauxhall. My attention goes haywire when I'm around a lot of people, my apologies."

| >>751886
>Having helped Fox and Impulse the unit is once again free to take orders. It orients itself in her direction. It then confirms the wan woman's order.

"My apologies, miss. You said a black coffee, correct?"

>It cannot possibly be too careful. A staff lacking in humans subsequently avoids human error, no?

| >>752553
> Cynthia mouths an "oh!", promptly shifting away from Impulse and towards the designated payment location. She drops the credstic rather unceremoniously, authenticating its use with a slip of her finger.

"There, there..."

| >>751926
>You are next in line to have your order taken.

>>752363
>You are second in line to have your order taken. Please wait patiently. One of our servers will assist you very shortly.

>>752454
>You are third in line to have your order taken. Please wait patiently. One of our servers will assist you very shortly.

| >The man on the patio finds his gaze following each new patron inside. Must be lunch break. Who new this place was so popular here? A cult following? Most products and businesses imported from overseas do seem to develop their own local fanbases...

>>752454
>His eyes narrow as the young woman in uniform passes. Was she working today? He mutters something to himself about her choice of hair color. Looks like toothpaste.

| >>752556
>The same arm responsible for the disappearance of the two gentleman's cards also swipes Cynthia's credstick. It does so with the enthusiasm of an unruly toddler. The sound of servos and motors quiets. Empty hands return to their default positions. The chime, again.

>A cube shaped robot about knee-height slowly bulldozes its way through the swinging door that guards the kitchenette.

| >>752563 >>751921 >>751912 >>752556
>Once it has passed over onto the cafe floor, it turns back and forth. It's as if it is scanning for something. It stops it's search with a shudder. It's first destination is the table where Cynthia, Impulse, and Fox have gathered.

>It rolls to a stop. There is a pause. Then, it steadily produces a column of trays.

>One Earl Grey tea.
>One hot latte, sitting by the tea.
>One iced peppermint latte.
>One iced latte with kabocha puree.

| >>752564
>Beside each drink is its owner's method of payment. The smart refreshment cart remains still while it waits to be relieved of it's delicious burdens.

| >>751446
>Outside, the "good man" awaiting his iced espresso is approached by a bot of identical shape and stature. It raises the drink from it's blocky body to a height Impulse's companion can comfortably reach.

| >>752564

> Fox grabs his drink and happily takes a sip, his face turning a bright shade of grey as he does

>>751960

"Well, that's so nice that she wasn't her... usual self to others when you first met her. Dusty can be a lot to handle"

| >>752571
>The chilly bite of refreshing peppermint awakens your synthetic taste buds. The syrup is perfectly blended with the coffee it flavors. There is no thick gel of it gathered at the bottom of the cup. Each sip is as smooth as the last.

| >>752564
> What follows from Cynthia is a shuffling and searching; she lifts each drink that's left to be taken, analysing the ones that would remotely look orange-ish, if colour is to be trusted.

"Oh!"

> It did take her a little while to connect the two and two together, finalising her decision after witnessing her credstick laying about. She pops a sip straight down, finally having a refreshment.

| >The nurse takes her phone out of her pocket, flipping through it, as she waits. Seeming to have no desire to talk with anybody at the moment.

| >>752554
>Impulse was watching Valentine from his table before Cynthia approached him. She seems to have somewhat taken him by surprise, but he recovers quickly and turns to her, smiling.

"Well, pleasure to meet you, Cynthia. My name would be Fields, Rowan Fields. You can also call me Impulse, if you'd like."

| >>752568
>The man turns to you and take the espresso.

"Thanks."

>He takes a sip right away, smiling slightly and turning to Impulse inside.

"Well, he kept his promise."

>>752564
>Inside, Impulse nods to the man and takes his cup of tea. He takes in the scent before he, too, take a sip.

| >>752553
>Valentine looks suspiciously at the bot taking her card, internally if her card'll be returned. She shrugs and returns to Impulse at the table, grabbing her drink.

>>752571
"I see, well, I'm sure she can't be too bad."

>Valentine let out a small chuckles before adding;

"Atleast not as bad as my brother."

| >>752598
"Let me guess, Impulse is your handle in the Matrix?"

> Cynthia put down her chilly drink to initiate the conversation. Shortly after though, she would pop in realisation.

"Sorry, that's an insensitive question."

| >>752644
"It's alright. My real name doesn't matter anyways."

>Impulse replies, taking a chug that's way too big out of his hot cup of tea and promptly burns his mouth. He spew the tea back into the cup and let out a little curse.

"Ah, fuck."

>This made Valentine laughs.

| >>752650
> Cynthia followed suit, gasping a chuckle in sync with Valentine.

"Be careful, be careful. You don't want third degree burns in your throat, or anywhere near you, really!"

| >>752673
"Yeah, be careful, Row. I know this wouldn't be your first burn, but I swear you're usually not this clumsy."

>Valentine says after having recovers from her laughter.

"Well, maybe it's because I just let my guard down around you."

>Impulse replies, smirking as Valentine looks back at him, her cheek slightly rosy.

"I can't believe you just tried that..."

>Valentine says. Then, covering her red face, she adds;

"...and I can't believe that it's working."

| >>752604

"I guess she's not so bad once she decides she likes you. I think she'd be one to not make a hassle now even."

> Fox seemed content with his drink, now taking a free seat and soaking in the soothing and relaxing atmosphere that only a cafe could really provide

| >>752574
>The mellow taste of spiced pumpkin floating on the rich body of milk coffee fills your senses. It brings with it feelings of comfort and warmth despite its icy temperature. Perhaps it sparks a memory, or two. One elusive enough that you cannot help but take another sip so you might catch a glimpse again.

| >>752603
>The mobile tray table retreats to the corner of the patio, where the man and and the woman in the wheelchair reside. It stops just short of bumping into one of the legs of the man's chair. It chirps a rehearsed inquiry:

"Is everything to your liking, sir?"

>The man grunts in response and nods curtly.

"I'd like a refill."

>The 'bot's extending shelf makes another appearance. The man places his empty cup and a credstick on the center tier.

| >>752889
> The taste melted down Cynthia's defences. There was a brief period of respite, where the flavours congregated, then all is clear.

> Cynthia made a small smile; the taste was sufficient to remark a poignant experience with the joyed expression.

| >>752891
>The cube-like unit sequesters the items within its body. It follows a predetermined route back into the cafe, only pausing momentarily to address a woman at another table who must have seated herself a few minutes ago.

| >>751926
>The server unit observes wordlessly as the cafe's visitors sample their drinks. It then inches forward towards its next customer.

"How may I help you, miss?"

| >>752555
>The Albino woman nods softly
"Indeed, ah you don't need to hurry though, I have time"
>She smiles a little saying that, eyeing some of the seats around the cafe for a brief instant, already trying to pick a spot.

| >>752900
>There is still ample seating left within the cafe. Its robotic waitstaff demand a spacious environment in order to move freely. Most spots outdoors remain as well.

"We appreciate your thoughtfulness, however our staff here at Starchild Coffee aim to please. Your coffee will be ready within a few minutes."

>The unit points it's screen at the cafe bar.

"Please deposit your payment upon the counter."

| >>752904
>The woman nods and drops a credstick unto the counter.
"Can I get seated while I wait?"
>She asks

| >>752887
"Hmm, guess so."

>Valentine says, she seems more comfortable now and finally take a sip of her drink, careful not to burn her mouth like Impulse did.

>>752698
"You have no idea how much I want to punch you right now. I can't believe you tried that in front of a highschooler."

>Valentine's face is very red, possibly because she's angry, possibly because she's embarassed, most likely both. Impulse laughs. Valentine then turn to Cynthia.

"Sorry you had to see that."

| >>752925
"Don't be! This is miles better than what I hoped for."

> Cynthia beamed a smile at them, slowly slurping her drink in the midst. She eyes one of the patron here, passively monitoring them.

>>752363
"Blue parka..."

> Her expression sours.

| >>752992
>Cynthia's smile does nothing at all to help with Valentine's blushing. When Cynthia turns to look at the woman in blue, however, Valentine follow suits. She notice the woman in blue as well and get Impulse's attention towards the woman with a nod.

"Is that them? We're supposed to meet with someone in blue right?"

>Valentine stops blushing almost immediately, Impulse takes a look at the woman as well.

"I suppose, she's the only person in blue so far."

| >The woman in blue walks over to the trio as soon as she notices their hanging attention. There is an unwelcoming aura radiating from her.

"Does everyone here have an unattended business with me? Or are any one of you willing to help me instead? It's impolite to stare at someone like that, so state your needs."

| >>753062
>The aura alone would have the on-edge Valentine resting her hand on her pistol, that is, if said pistol isn't outside. She curses herself. Impulse puts a hand on her shoulder to calm her down, then turns to address the woman.

"My sincerest apologies. It's just that your blue clothing caught my attention. You see, we're supposed to meet somebody here, and we don't know what they look like apart from that they are in blue and that the poor sod had a broken screen."

| "Broken screen, you say?"

>She pries a phone from her front pocket. The device had suffered an extensive damage, one that came from an overload from the battery, pushing the screen upwards.

"It stopped working as I traversed here. I came by to search for someone. A peculiar someone."

| >>752923
"You are free to seat yourself wherever you desire! Your order will be brought to you regardless of where you choose to sit."

>That is, provided she sits before it is done being brewed. The mechanical arms behind the counter have ceased idly twiddling their manipulators. There is work to be done.

| >>753065 >>753062
>The Albino woman sees the mounting tension and approaches with both hands raised, showing a calm smile
>She especially gives Valentine a short, but cutting glance, looks like she noticed you reaching for your (now absent) weapon
"Now now"
>She faces the blue wearing woman
"I think what they meant to say was that they're from the board where you posted those messages with your broken screen"

| >she gives a wry smile, her soft voice barely concealing some amusement
"To be completely fair, I also came here because of those"

| >>753079
> Cynthia slams her drink to her table, openly displaying hostility as a counter to the woman's frigid air, and mutters under her breath:

"Bullshit. I can't believe it was you all along."

> She paused, glaring straight at the woman.

"What are you searching here, more casualties?!"

| >>753079
"Yes, of course, one Dr.Roy Walker, he is actually a friend of mine."

>Impulse says, but then he was startled a little by Cynthia's sudden hostility(>>753089).

"Now, that is quite interesting, so you do know this lady then, Cynthia?"

>Then, not quite waiting for an answer, he turns to the woman in blue.

"Just out of curiosity, what business do you exactly have with the good doctor? He is, after all, a dear friend of mine."

| >>753083
>Valentine glances back, fairly fiercely. A dark frown forms on her face, she is now juggling between the albino and the woman in blue, suspiciously eyeing both of them. She tries to reach up and tap her earpieces, but Impulse noticed and stops her.

>"Not yet."

>He then turns to you with a calm smile.

"She can be quite jumpy, I do apologize."

| >>753062
>Apparently, "everyone" really does include everyone. The previous customer has paid for their drink, leaving the next in line with yet another figure in the growing circle surrounding her. It non-threateningly demands her attention. It's pleasant demeanor aims to quell concerns.

"My apologies, am I interrupting? I do not wish to intrude on your meeting. I am, however, here to help you should you need me to, miss."

| >>753091
>The Albino seems uncertain at the mention of Roy Walker, her brain jogging its wheels, this'll take a bit.
>>753089
"Calm down now lady, no need to get upset."
>The woman says, filing off her mental breakthrough to instead focus on Cynthia
"How about we all sit down and get talking, instead of screaming or being wary of one another?"
>She reasons, looking around for a table
"Also maybe introduce ourselves and such..."
>She trails on

| >>753089

>The woman sighs in response. She shakes her head then faces Impulse. >>753091

"He is a friend. A very close friend. I have matters to attend with him."

>>753095

"That shall be the best course of action. Hostility will only lead us astray."

>>753094

>She smiles at the new arrival.

"I appreciate the compassion."

| >>753098
"May I perhaps take your order? If you need more time to decide, I can certainly return shortly."

| >>753091
"All of this, all of this is warranted! I've met her before. She tried to take CN and I down for information—!"

> Cynthia would be the last to cooperate. Her glare stings, and her hand is ready to pull out something from beneath her skirt.

"... Is this it— you're going to bring another cafe with you?"

> Her eyes hasn't moved an inch from the woman.

| >The same minute slowdown of staff that occurred when Impulse's men were noted to be armed occurs once again. The security camera rotates within it's shelter. It surveys the cafe to gather every scrap of visual data possible.

>The stakes have not yet become too high.

>Business as usual resumes.

| >>753101
>The Albino woman gives a glare to Cynthia, her eyes cold
"I'm telling you not to cause a scene, I don't care what you and the geek boy had to go through, I wont stand for anyone causing ANY trouble and that better be crystal"
>She growls lowly, her voice turning husky

| >>753100

"A matcha latte. Tall."

>>753101

"It was all necessary. Let bygones be bygones."

>She sagaciously nodded at the remark made by the albino woman. >>753103

"Shall we reintroduce ourselves? It is only polite, to start from zero."

| >>753104
>The Albino woman looks at both persons, before fixing her lowered posture and clearing her throat.
"I'm Falschen, just Falschen. Curious observer."
>She says, plainly

| >>753104
"I don't mean to be rude, but uh..."

>Everyone turned to look at the previously forgotten Nurse, who was sitting very upright and alert, but now she just felt rather small realizing it was extremely stupid to enter herself into this conversation.

"But um... if you uh... >>>do stop being polite and get to like, 11, can I get a warning? I just want coffee, and I really don't wanna go back to work so soon."

| >"Val, love, why don't you go outside, check on your brother, take a deep breath, yeah? I love you."

>Impulse whispers into Valentine's ears, which prompts Valentine to look back and grimace. She stares a second longer, but eventually obey; planting a little kiss on Impulse's cheek before standing up and walking outside.

| >>753095 >>753098
"Very well, I do agree then, let's introduce ourselves. I would prefer to keep violence out of the equation."

>Impulse replies, still keeping his calm expression.

"I'm Impulse, at least that's what I call myself nowadays."

| >Falschen looks at Impulse.
"Have we met before?"
>She asks, puzzled

| >It is hard to see through the glare of the sun what is going on within the cafe. The man outside shields his eyes and cranes his neck as he tries to get a look. Some sort of gathering? The body language of the group members do not seem to indicate it is a pleasant one.

"What the hell...?"

>The woman in the wheelchair has turned a ghastly shade of white. She mumbles something timidly.

"Will..."

| >>753110
"I'm not quite sure, although your name does sound familiar."

>Impulse looks back at Falschen, taking a careful sip of his tea before turn back once again to the woman in blue.

"I would say it's your turn, mate. What's your name?'

| >>753105 >>753109

">>>Ceasenne. A journalist. Three souls have met me before. One stayed to remember their grudge on me."

>The woman gave a smile in her introduction.

>>753106

"I will keep note of that. Nothing will be harmed in my watch."

| >>753116
>Falschen raises an eyebrow at the mention of "journalism"
>She doesn't say anything and wordlessly turns to Cynthia

| >After the server unit outdoors finishes taking the order of that patio's other lone patron it heads inside to even the cafes ratios. Snippets of conversation become audible for seconds at a time.

| "So, and who are you?"
>Falschen asks Cynthia, calmly

| >>753116
"Ah yes, the journalist. I've heard about you, you were in the Beefeater."

>Impulse turns to Ceasenne, having recognized the name.

"Sniffer has quite misjudged you, it seems."

| >>753119
"Cynthia Vauxhall, I'm a student of St. Miriam's."

> Cynthia's voice withers down into a kind of aggressive mumbling. She goes back to sipping her drink, pouting as she does.

| >>753104
"Certainly, miss. Your latte will be ready shortly. How do you plan to pay today? We accept both card and credstick at this cafe."

| >>753121
"Glad we atleast got that sorted out"
>Falschen said, smiling
"Now how about you tell us why you called out people here, Miss Ceasenne. We can go from there afterwards."
>The Albino says, her face inexpressive

| >>753120

"His assessment was correct at that time."

>She takes a glance at everyone that has introduced themselves so far.

"Trust is a frail value. Betray it and it will be laborious to reclaim."

>>753123

"I have a disdain for unnecessary attention, or do you find that answer to be a hypocrisy?"

>>753122

"A credstick."

>She takes out the item as soon as she says it and hands it over to the staff.

| >>753124
"Thank you very much."

>The server deposits this on the counter, where it is given the same treatment as those cash substitutes that came before it. Scanned or slotted, then spirited away to the unknown. Presumably they will reappear as their other counterparts did. Only time may tell.

>The earthy aroma of matcha fills the air. Calm, yet energizing.

| >>753124
"That doesn't really answer my question"

| >>753124
"Then you'd better not betray my trust anymore then, miss. Your reputation seems to have stained it enough."

>Impulse replies casually, his face remains neutral, bit his eyes seem to have a cold touch to it.

"But, nonetheless, I'm trusting you enough; I'm quite unarmed, and my bodyguards would be of no help to me should you pull a weapon on me. So let's do our best keep the violence off the table."

| >>753126

"Does it not? There is nothing more to say then."

>She turns her attention at Impulse again.

>>753127

"What people think of me is irrelevant. Time will trounce any bond, and time is not something I lack."

| >>753124
"Urgh..."

> Cynthia couldn't help but turn her face around. Her ire for Ceasenne is growing stronger and resisting is becoming difficult. She slurps her drink some more, hoping it will do her better than simple, idle stare.

| >>753130
"Right... So you said you were looking for someone?"
>Falschen sighs

| >>753132

"Indeed. Shall I repeat what I said? Perhaps the name will ring a clearer bell now."

| >>753135
"Go ahead, and explain why, while you're at it, so we can all be on the same page"

| >>752454
>The third automated waiter, now inside, commits itself to finishing a gradually diminishing backlog of orders. It does so with haste. It maneuvers around the customers barely at each other's throats and approaches the harrowed nurse.

"I apologize for the wait, miss. May I please take your order?"

>It's artificial voice is tuned to sound sincere. It's words lay deep in the uncanny valley.

| >>753130 >>753131
>Impulse looks at Cynthia and then back at Ceasenne.

"Time has not mended this bond then, it seems."

>He takes a quick glance at the pair outside, Valentine is standing and talking with the other man outside, taking worried glances back at him.

| >>753137

"I'm searching for a person by the name of Roy Walker. I require him for a rite. A funeral rite. His presence is most needed."

>>753139

> She gives a short laugh as a response.

| >>753142
"Rites huh?"
>Falschen turns to Cynthia, her eyes are piercing, like those of a hawk
"You said something about you and geek boy meeting this woman here before, did she say the same thing back then?"
>She asks, simply
"I think it's important we take in both sides here"

| >>753142 >>753143
"A funeral, then, I've seen too many of those. Falschen is right, it might be best to take your words with a grain of salt, considering your reputation."

>Impulse nods in agreement with Falschen while he finishes off his cup of tea, setting it down on the table in front of him.

| >>753143
"I don't remember. She.. she decked me and I lost consciousness, but I remember her asking about that name, 'Roy Walker'..."

> Cynthia mumbles her reply. Her drink has long gone empty and she sips only what's left of the flavour from the remaining water, a product of the melted ice.

| >>753146
"... Decked you?"
>Falschen gives a quizzical glance to Caesenne

| >>753146

"Tased. Electrical incapacitation. It's a tool journalists will likely have, is it not?"

>She interjects the glance with a correction.

| >>753153
>Falschen half closes her eyes
"I'm asking why you did it, I know what decked means"

| >>753153
"You sent me into a coma for no reason! That is.. not a fair game!"

> Cynthia couldn't disagree more with the correction. It's as though she took insult for it, even.

| >Impulse watches the three argue for a moment before inturrupting.

"Well, that explains the grudges. Those tasers can be quite nasty. Seems this isn't the first time you ask for the good doctor either. You are not exaxtly the role model right now, miss."

| >Falschen's phone begins to ring.

| >>753168
>The girl gives a wry smile
"This won't be long..."
>She gives Impulse a meaningful stare
>"Don't let them fight, please"
>Seems to be the meaning carried on her face
>Falschen gets up and goes towards the bathroom, before picking up her large red... flip-phone
>She picks up
"Ele speaking, who is this?"

| >>753217
>There is a nervous silence on the other end of the line before the caller speaks.

"Oh. Have I called the wrong number...? I'm looking for a..."

>A pause, before they absolutely mangle Falschen's name. It comes out sounding like "fashion", if you said it through a mouthful of water. Or more appropriately, coffee.

| >>753222
"No, you have the right number, Falschen's my... Last name"
>Falschen says, chuckling
"I wanted to talk to you for a reason in particular, you *are* the one who set up the thread, weren't you?"

| >>753225
"... Yes? That was me."

| >>753226
>Falschen nods to herself.
"... That's what I thought, look... i don't want to alarm you, but somebody used your thread to try and meet with us, A journalist who goes by Caesenne, does that ring a bell?"
>Falschen asks in a hushed voice

| >>753227
>Falschen can hear rustling and the clatter of silverware against a table as the caller gasps in shock.

"... No... no, like I said... I'm not from here. I just landed today, and..."

| >>753079

> Fox, who was now somewhat clued out checking his phone, realize the person who was looking for his friends had now appeared in the blue parka. He wasn't quite sure how to approach now, given that he *had* lied in order to avoid suspicion. Not that he needed to, but he felt safer about it.

> He sipped his latte some more, waiting to see if there was a moment where he'd be able to get a second to interrupt with his "delivery"

| >>753230
>Falschen paused for a moment, before muttering 'goddamnit'
"Then.. let me ask another question, did Roy Walker have any journalist friend? And does *that* name ring a bell... She's looking for such a person"
>If Falschen could sweat, she would have done so plentifully by now

| >>753232
"... No? I-I don't know! He's never mentioned knowing anybody in journalism. We haven't spoken lately... maybe she's somebody he met recently? Oh, goodness..."

>They're becoming increasingly flustered. Their voice is strained, as if on the verge of tears.

| >>753234
>Falschen realizes her alarming tone, and slowly attempts to regain her composure, putting a hand on her chest as if to poise herself
"I'm sorry... I didn't mean to alarm you ao much"
>She whispers
"You do know Roy Walker then? But not his friend here?"

| >>753235
"Yes, >>>yes I know him! I'm sure Roy has plenty of friends, he's a sweetheart, but I've never heard of this one before..."

>A shuddering sigh.

"Please... I just need to know he's alright."

>A sniffle.

"... I just want to see my son."

| >>753158

"I hold my own reason."

>She sends a smile alongside these words and her eyes slowly follow Falschen as she goes to pick up a call. She finishes with a soft voice:

"Time will unravel all unknowns."

| >>753236
>Falschen's eyes go wide at the last words the caller says... Bringing forth images of her own child, who she hasn't seen in almost two years.
"... I can help"
>She blurts out, not thinking, before stopping herself.
"... When did you last talk to your son?"
>Falschen asks, almost in a whisper

| >>753243
"A-about a month ago... I had expressed wanting to see him and had thought I might surprise him with a visit, but... when I arrived at his apartment, he was... nowhere to be seen. I was told it has been that way for... over 2 years, now."

| >The mention of ""2 years"" resonates deep within the Crusader's brain, echoing like a hammer striking steel in the deepest reccesses of her mind
"I.."
>She squeaks out barely, clutching her heart underneath the large, red, nylon coat
"I... Can definitely try and help you... But I need to meet you personally, without anyone else..."
>She says, realizing full well how shady she sounds
"I know a bit... Rumors, bad ones... Look, I... I'm a friend of Ei Aikawa; you know her, correct?"

| >>753247
"That's... that's why I came here. To... to meet with somebody... >>>two 'somebody's! Not a soul has stopped by my table, other than one of those polite waiters in wheels..."

| >>753250
*on

| >>753250
"You're here?"
>Falschen looks around the cafe, bewildered, the fact that such a thing was a matter of course having apparently being completely blown out of her mind
>She >>>did say she was coming in late
>She looks around to see anyone on their phone within the shop or outside of it.
"I'll come to you then..."

| >>753252

> Fox finally gathered up the courage and walked over to where the woman in the blue parka was. In his hand was a package originally meant for the people who this person was looking for, so maybe that was an in. He approached with all the confidence that he could muster up, which wasn't much

"Umm... excuse me? Ma'am, I-i-i think I can help you out if you give me a quick hand with something, if that is okay with you. My name is F-f-f-f-Fox, a 運び屋... a courier"

| >>753217
>Impulse nods silently, acknowledging your silent request. He waves over a bot, raising his empty cup.

"Please, can I have another cup of Earl Grey, thanks."

>>753237
"Look, mate, I'm just trying to help, but if you cannot answer me truthfully, then I have no more business here."

>Impulse looks back, his voice still holding the neutral tone, just like his facial expression, although his blue eyes seems to darken.

"Now, I'll ask you again. Why are you looking for Roy."

| >>753268

"I beseech only truth."

>She closes her eyes and her arms cross.

"Then, I shall resound what I have said: there is a funeral rite that requires his attendance. It is for his friend, that no longer yearns for this world."

| >>753350
"That first sentence alone is a lie and we both knows it."

>Impulse replies, quite dismissively.

"You either lied in the thread, or you're not the one I'm meant to be dealing with. I'm not quite sure what's worse, beteaying my trust even more, or manipulating those in needs for your own gain."

>He inspects the cup in his hand, turning his attention back to Ceasenne, he tap on his headset, which seems to activate something.

"Come on, spill it, don't waste my time."

| >>753357

"I have exhausted what I needed to say."

>She shakes her head then her eyes open, glaring at Impulse.

"Soon. Soon you will understand what those of age acquaints themselves with: the meaning of patience and the mistake in a fool's trust."

>She turns her head to a direction where Falschen is.

"You shall learn from this experience, Mr. Fields."

| >>753359
"Oh, no, not 'shall', Miss Ceasenne, I think I've learned plenty already."

>Impulse looks at Falschen as well, keeping his first part of the reply quite dismissive, before turning back
and leaning towards Ceasenne.

"It's quite an experience, I'm thankful, really."

>He leans back.

| >>753374

"One question for you, if you may."

>She relaxes her shoulders and posture. Her hands are now on the table and she leans forward.

"Do you believe in a god, or any higher-order beings?"

| >>753377
"Who knows?"

>Impulse seems amused at the question. He smiles and, looking at Valentine and the other man outside, he continues.

"Maybe there's a god up there, maybe there's none, I sure as hell don't care."

>He turns his gaze back towards Ceasenne.

"I believe that there's good and evil, I believe that there's love and friendship. The rest is irrelevant to me; tell me there's a god, then there's a god, tell me there isn't one, then there isn't one, it is what it is."

| >>753252
>Most patrons of the cafe have their phone out or in use in some way or form. There is, however, only one who is actually speaking on theirs. She is outside, sitting alone at a table on the patio.

>... And, she is indeed wearing blue.

| >>753390
>Bingo.
>Falschen starts to walk back towards the table where Ceasenne and Impulse are talking
"I'll be there with you in a second then... I'm also here, please wait."
>She then closes the phone's flap, ending the call
"Plans have changed"
>She says to all who are seated at that table.
"Ceasenne, you're a journalist correct? How about we make a deal you and I? It won't be a hard one."
>She simply says, still standing

| >>753381

"A commendable answer."

>She makes a notice of the woman draped in blue. >>753390

>>753394

"A vow would be more apt. State your needs and wants."

| >>753395 >>753390 >>753394
>Impulse turns to look at another woman in blue, the smile still on his face.

"One of my guesses is correct, it seems."

| >>753395
>Falschen recoils at the choice of words
"No vows, lets keep the wording simple"
>She puts a hand within her coat and pulls out a small, metallic card from within.
"This is my number, and adress"
>She says, sliding it over
"I'll be completely honest with you, I dont trust you one bit, and as I'm not into divulging anything when my gut tells me not to, I won't... But, I'll run your name by some people I know, to see if what you say holds water, if it does: I'll talk, okay?"

| >Falschen looks at Ceasenne and leans a bit closer
"To be fair, I'm only offering this compromise because I washed my hands of doing the things I used to do... But also because you act like someone I know so closely that it's creeping me out."
>She adds

| >Two people walk into the coffee shop, both wearing all black cloaks marked with a stylized fish
>One of them is 155cm tall, with large horns on their head, the other is a bit shorter, and has a smile that's way too wide for it to be human, both are woman, and both wear black cloaks with a stylized fish motif.
"So, I was talking about coffee the other day, right?"
"Indeed you were! Quite the coincidence!"
"...No it's not, we're here because of that, not in spite of it."
"That so!"

| >>753405
>The two take a seat at any open seat and await staff to take their orders
"...Helio, sometimes I wonder if your brain is okay, and then I remember you don't have one."
>The horned girl says, sighing
"Eh?! I don't have a brain? Oh, that's right! Ahaha, you and your little jokes, Zokir!"
"...At least get my name right. Yokir, Y-O-K-I-R."
"Yokir!"
"That's right..."

| >>753400

>She warmly smiles at the offer and takes the card to read it through.

"Your eyes did not deceive you. Our meeting here was no mere chance."

>A pause.

"Let us end this scene. I am mortal now; time is a resource I am not willing to spare."

| >>753416
>Falschen smiles, relieved
"Pleasure meeting you still, I hope we can talk again... If you really are related to who I think you may be"

| >>753418

"The pleasure is mine."

>Standing up, Ceasenne pushed her seat behind her. Her height isn't at all towering, but her posture is straight, giving the impression of a prim and proper woman.

"If our fates were to intertwine again, I shall bring myself to use that name. Maybe then, he will be here with us; a Ragnarok and poetry."

| >>753138
>The Nurse was intently interested in the whole affair of what was going on, she barely noticed the server robot who was quickly losing patience... do these robots have patience to lose?

"Oh! Sorry...! I just want a Mocha if that's alright."

>She sort of scratches the back of her neck for a moment, seeming to be in thought.

"Do you mind if I actually ask you a question? It's been on my mind since I entered."

| >>753422
>"A mocha".

"Of course, miss. Which size would you like? Are there any modifications you would like made to your order?"

>The server unit pauses for a moment. Does it "mind"? It translates the question into variables it can easily understand. How long is the queue behind the customer? What is the volume of their voice. It takes this information into account, before it replies.

"Please, do. I will do my best to answer."

| >>753268
>The same unit turns to Impulse, letting the man know his request has been acknowledged.

"Right away, sir."

| >>753420
>Falschen closes her eyes and smiles
"I'm sure that somewhere, an eyepatched tender is waiting for that very order"

| >>752900 >>753104
>When all hope of enjoying refreshment seems lost, a busbot appears. Or, perhaps it was there all along? It may have been laying low amidst the chaos, waiting for an opportune moment to present the frazzled patrons with the fruits of it's companions' labor. It attempts to wiggle it's way into the tense circle.

>One black coffee.
>One tall matcha latte.

>As before, each customer's method of payment is present next to their order.

| >>753433
"I forgot about that order completely... Well, Busbot, how about you take it to that table over there--"
>She points to the table outside.
"I wouldn't want to trip, and I have to move a bit"
>She says, starting to walk ahead

| >>753430
>Impulse nods at the bot, then turns to look at the other woman in blue, then back at Falschen and Ceasenne.

>>753432 >>753420
"As much as I would love to see both of you telepathetically flirting with obscure references to the Drifter, I think we should help the distraught lass in blue, wouldn't you say?"

>Impulse promptly interrupts the pair, waiting for the bot to return with his order.

| >>753433

>She takes the last minute delivery, but keeps the credstick at bay. There's no denying that she has ignored it completely.

>>753432

"Thank you for allowing me to reminisce a long lost time. I cannot forget Emily and the drink she serves."

>Her eyes track the woman in blue again.

"I cannot meet Roy's mother; I will only frighten her young soul. Thus, I entrust her to everyone here... after all, that was the reason why I am here."

| >>753446
"Right, we can all talk about it later, at the Beefeater, perhaps. I'm on a bit of a time crunch here; I promised someone to make it as quick as possible. I want to at least try to keep the promise..."

>Impulse's neutral demeanor and smile seems to crack a little at the mention of his promise, letting a bit of restlessness shines through. Although he's still sitting back in his chair.

"...I frankly cares about her than I do any gods up there, or sitting here."

| >>753458

"Keeping one's promise is an admirable act, but surely you are already aware of that."

>She takes a final look at Impulse.

"... There are no gods here."

>With a sigh, she takes her steps away. The sound of her footsteps was quiet, until she is far outside — where a short burst of EMP was detectable. It wasn't enough to cause any major catastrophe, yet with it, Ceasenne was nowhere to be seen anymore.

| > Between all that is happening, Cynthia is seen tapping away at her phone. She is sending messages after messages, and her eyes no doubt jumped back and forth between the interactions.

"Urgh..."

| >>753467
"Right, so either a deity of some kind, or some advanced journalist trickery. Doesn't matter."

>Impulse sighs, stands up, and walks over to the other woman in blue(>>8e1cf1).

"Good day, lady. Are you the woman looking for one Doctor Roy Walker?"

| >Falschen follows Impulse
>She doesn't say anything about how courtesy would let her speak first... Since she did say she would come to her while on the phone, but seeing as she did get away from the table to speak on such a phonecall she reasons it makes sense

| >>753411
>At their table, the two weirdos in cloaks still wait
"Coffee is quite tasty! The way it stings when I gulp it down is simply Hijloi!"
"...that's called 'burning your tongue', Helio."

| >>753428
"A medium, please."

>The Nurse seemed to pause as she thought on the question.

"I'm not super knowledgeable about the subject, so I don't wanna be rude about it... but you have sentience right?"

| >>753486
"No, I do not."

>The server unit answers matter-of-factly. It is unfased by the invasiveness of the nurse's question, and is impartial in it's response. It remains polite throughout.

"Will that be all, miss?"

| "Yeah, I was just wondering wether or not it was a gimmick or not."

>The nurse scratched the back of her head for a moment thinking about it.

"Because even vending machines now can own an apartment... I guess that means you must be an older model then..."

>The nurse smiled sheepishly at the robot, feeling a little guilty she pried so much into his rather non-existent life.

"Sorry for wasting your time~"

| >>753531

> Fox walks over, still holding the small package in one hand. He seems to be confused over the nurse talking to the serving robot and figures he should say something

"umm... Are you asking about the robots and their sentience? Not that I think it's bad! I just think it's... strange? But not that it's that weird I guess? Sorry, am I making sense?"

> The lilim seems to be a little nervous

| "Well, I mean the robots here just seemed sort of lifeless, so I didn't know wether or not it was like... an act?"

>The nurse responded rather nervous herself, sort of wringing her hands together.

"Like it was just an aesthetic they were going for?"

| >>753531 >>753549
>The server unit does not know what to make of the nurse's comments on its behavior, so it makes nothing of them, at all. It addresses what it understands as her concerns the best it can:

"All Starchild Coffee locations are staffed in this manner, miss."

>Not that anyone native to GC would know.

| >>753549

"Oh! I guess that makes some sense. It can be hard to tell sometimes between all of us AI and other more... programmed systems. At least you didn't try to feed them a logical paradox of some kind!"

> Fox seems to lighten up a little now, easing up on his nervousness

| >>753405
>The single machine not currently occupied with taking orders or otherwise assisting cafe patrons rolls slowly towards the odd pair that have just seated themselves. It waits for the chatter to cease before volunteering it's aid.

"Welcome to Starchild Coffee! How may I help you?"

>It is not stymied by the outlandish appearance of these new guests.

| >>753558
>The horned girl perks up at the machine's words
"Oh yeah, both of us will have a cup of your house blend, no milk, no sugar, just straight."
>The one with the wide smile and glowing red eyes simply tilts her head
"Hey look Yokir! It's funny how it talks like a person! Ahaha! It looks silly rolling around like that!"
>The horned girl, Yokir, smacks her upside the head
"Be quiet in public spaces."
"So mean! Ahaha!"

| >>753563
"Certainly! That will be two black coffees, then?"

| >>753566
"That's correct."
>Yokir smiles, but Helio merely keeps laughing, albeit less loudly than before
"I like this place Yokir, it's funny! All the humans sipping on their little bean water!"
>Once again, Yokir smacks Helio upside the head, which only serves to make her giggle some more

| >It is just now that the cafe's unseen internal clock strikes the hour. All members of the staff freeze in the middle of their tasks. A simple melody plays over the cafe speakers, briefly taking the place of whatever this month's top 20 hits might be.

"..."

>All of the 'bots slowly rotate in place until the melody has ended. The synchronized dance lasts only a few seconds. The atmosphere is then immediately restored to it's former state.

| >>753570
"Look at them spin, Yokir! Look at them! Ahahihihhehe!"
>Yokir does look at the robot's little dance
"Pretty funky."

| >>753570
"It's gotta be the aesthetic at this point..."

>The Nurse made a nervous laugh at the rather strange, yet adorbale dance.

>>753555
"Anyway, there's no way I'd give them some sort of logical paradox, I feel like that would be more trouble then it's worth."

| >>753570
>Even the stoic Falschen can't help but stifle a laugh at the sight

| >>753570
>Impulse raises an amused eyebrow as he watches the robots dance.

| >>753581 >>753570

> Fox looks on as the robots do their little dance. He seemed amused by this and smiles as they finish. He then goes back to the nurse who was originally talking to the little guys

"Well, for one, yes. But also, they could probably get my own processors up and tangled. Never know what kind of unit might hear, I guess"

| >>753472 >>753479
>The "lady" sitting by herself outside startles at Impulse's approach, having trouble reconciling his appearance with the voice she heard on the phone. This can't be the same person, can it? Her brow creases. She appears troubled.

"Y--... Yes, that would... be me."

>Her eye is caught momentarily by the busbot following Falschen. She wears a bewildered expression when it begins to spin on an unseen axis.

| >>753637
>The albino woman, or girl, seeing as she seemed barely over 19 waved to the lady in blue, Roy's mother
"I'm Falschen, we talked on the phone"
>Falschen says in a bell-like voice.
>She is pale, and an astute eye could easily see her hands softly trembling, something she herself hasn't realized yet.

| >>753637
"Right, introductions, I'm Impulse, pleased to meet you."

>Impulse holds out his hand, a smile appearing on his face.

"I'm sure you would be worried about Roy, but if my sources are to be believed, then he is most likely in no real danger."

| >>753641
>Falschen gives Impulse a side-long glance
"Let's take things slow, not just dump everything on her, okay?"
>She whispers to him

| >>753641
>The woman takes Impulse's hand hesitantly, not wanting to reject the gesture and appear rude. Her grasp is very gentle. It's clear she's nervous-- none of this has gone according to plan-- if there was even a real plan in place, to begin with...

"Impulse... m-my--"

>She swallows, attempting to steady the tremor in her voice.

"... My name is Margaret. Margaret Walker. I'm Roy's mother."

| >>753640
>Margaret returns the wave politely, and sighs quietly. Somehow, being able to put a face to a voice brings her relief.

"It's a pleasure to meet you both. I'm terribly sorry for coming late..."

| >>753643
>Impulse glances back, stay silent for a moment, then nods.

"Very well."

>>753644
"Of course, please, I assure you everything will be quite alright."

>Impulse shakes Margaret's hand, a firm grip as he assures the woman.

| >>753644
>Falschen smiles a bit, she seems to like the sound of that name.
>The girl known as Falschen appeared extremely weak, pale and sickly, But her features were neat and well balanced, giving her an air of beauty only affoarded by things and people who's fragility brings forth preciousness.
>She points to a seat
"May I?"

| >>753647 >>753646
>Margaret blinks blankly when Falschen asks to sit. The young woman's ethereal beauty has somehow seized hold of her, and for a moment, won't let go.

"Ah--"

>She shakes her head as if trying to right the scattered thoughts within.

"O-of course, please do have a seat."

>She hops up to make space around the table, pulling out a chair each for Impulse and Falschen.

>As she stands, you can see that the woman is... tiny. Like, really tiny. Barely clearing 5' tiny.

| >>753709
>Falschen seats herself down, along with a 'thank-you'
>He hair is long enough that it drapes around the chair as she does.
>She seems rather surprised at the woman's height, having seen how tall Roy was, the fact that his mother was so small conjured up an odd image in her mind.
>'He must take after his father.'
>She nods to herself

| >>753710
>Margaret circles around the table and back to her own seat, which she attempts to get semi comfortable in once again. The cube shaped unit previously bringing up the rear of Falschen and Impulse's two person procession follows her. When she is situated, it raises it's stacked trays of treats.

>One black coffee.
>One refill of Earl Grey Tea.
>One London Fog.

| >>753712
>Falschen takes her cup and drinks from it slowly, enjoying the taste for an instant
>She thanks the waiter robot with a nod as she does.
>There's a pause as the girl places her cup down unto it's plate
"It's a pleasure to meet you face to face... I'm very sorry about that frantic call, I didn't mean to frighten you"
>The girl says, her face morphing into a nervous half-smile, she seems apologetic.

| >>753709
>Impulse follow suits with Falschen and take a seat as well. He turns to the bot (>>753712) holding up his refill of tea. His smile grows warm as he take a small sip.

| >>753713 >>753714
>Margaret lets her drink rest. Right now, it's a little too hot for her tastes.

"N-no, I... I was already frightened, dear. I apologize."

>She laces her fingers together, and sets them in her lap to keep herself from fidgeting. Calm down. All will be made right.

"Some of the messages posted on that... what do you call it, again... 'thread'? The... thread I created-- I found them to be quite alarming."

| >>753715
"Please, take a deep breath, Miss Magaret. Everything will be alright. Perhaps Roy could have just moved somewhere with his wife and forgot to contact you, or he could have simply been on a long work streak. He is, after all, a doctor."

>Impulse suggests.

"No offense, ma'am, but maybe we have simply been overreacting."

| >>753715
>Falschen seems a bit uncomfortable being called 'Dear', she shuffles in her seat a bit
>She turns a bit more serious upon hearing the latter part of what Margaret says.
"That's... true, most posts on the board are alarmist at best and terryfing at worst."
>She pauses for a second, closing her eyes
"It's really not as bad as some may say... It's just; with the topic being what it was, well..."
>She trails off a bit, before simply taking a sip from her cup

| >>753718 >>753719
>Margaret shifts her weight uneasily in her seat. Her eyes follow the trail of steam wafting from her cup.

"... If you'll pardon me--"

>She lets her eyes fall shut, and brings a hand to her mouth. Deep breaths. You've seen him through worse.

"Roy... does have some problems with his memory, but I doubt he would forget to tell me for two entire >>>years that he had changed location."

| >>753720
"Alright, that... doesn't sound good, but still. Have you tried going to his workplace? I heard it's not quite far from here."

>Impulse continues, his smile slowly fading as he watches Magaret.

| >>753720
>Falschen nods
"Yeah, that's what you said on the phone, about how his appartement had been left vacant for so long."
>She looks around, making sure no one is sitting too close to the table.
"... It has something to do with that night at the hospital..."
>She begins to say, her voice a bit quieter than it was before
>She turns to Impulse
"You remember the huge Blackout that occured a while back, right?"

| >>753723
>Impulse nods.

"Yep, want to fill me in? Becauee I was suspecting DT getting shut off for a blackout is not daily occurance. Reckon it's related?"

| >>753722
>Roy's mother shakes her head, looking disappointed.

"His name isn't listed on their directory anymore-- but, perhaps that's an error...?"

>>753723
>She's about to ask Falschen for clarification on her "night at the hospital" comment, when the man a few tables over speaks up:

"... It's not an error."

| >>753725
>Falschen gives the man a few tables over a short glance.
>She simply looks at him, allowing him to elaborate

| >>753725
>Impulse glances between the man and Magaret, then to Falschen.

| >>753726
>He continues.

"Roy doesn't work for NSFMed anymore. He left the practice."

>Margaret begins to look distressed. She eyes the man cautiously.

"... Who are you, if I may ask?"

>He clears his throat.

"... My name is Max. Max Edison. I'm a former... colleague of your son's."

| >>753728
"...and do you know what happened to him?"

>Impulse asks.

| >>753728
>Falschen nods, this confirmed her own suspicions.
"Something happened that night, I heard over the CB, Runners were having a field day that night"
>She says, her eyes returning to stare at Margaret

| "Do you... know what a Shadowrunner is?"

| >>753729
>Max moves to stand up, as it's nothing short of awkward (and very much the opposite of private) to hold a conversation across the patio from one another.

"... Told me he's on sabbatical."

>Margaret's eyes widen.

"You've spoken with him?"

"... Not recently. A few months ago. He referred a patient to me. I did the consult with him present."

| >>753730
>"That night", "that night"--

"E-excuse me, but... >>>what night?>>>What happened on>>>what night?"

>She pauses to think when Falschen asks about a term she's sure she's heard at least once.

"... I... I would say I... h-have an idea, yes."

| >>753734
>Falschen simply closes her eyes
"A few months ago, a huge blackout paralyzed all of Glitch City for several hours, all the while a terrorist attack, or something of the likes was occuring in Downtown... there was a huge influx of injured people and those seeking help at the time, that is the night I'm reffering to"
>She turns to Max
"I never did enter the Hospital that night, so I'm sure you would have more to say about, Mister Edison"

| >>753736
(*A few years ago, time flies)

| >>753736
"Neither did I, I was... on other businesses."

>Impulse adds as well.

"This doesn't look good, but does anyone have ideas about who could be behind that."

Total number of posts: 250, last modified on: Sat Jan 1 00:00:00 1619012991

This thread is permanently archived