danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
(Setting) The Underpass, Downtown

| >A small tunnel marked with a rusted sign is all that composes the underpass for most. Its depths seldom explored by anyone who doesnt know of its inner purpose as they simply walk the roads to and from the many interesting locations within the city.
>But as with many things in life, pushing a little closer, just looking a bit more into it, one would reveal a decent length of passage that finally leads to a small lake, lost within the concrete of Glitch city
>A phone booth is near

| >Its windows fogged by inner warmth, it is labelled as such:
>"Burrow city public telephone company"
>The phone rings within

| >A vintage looking Harley Davidson rolls up near the site listed on the strange thread, being ridden by a square jawed man with a thick leather jacket and jeans. There's a sizeable revolver holstered at his hip, which he makes sure to unbutton so that the firearm can be drawn quickly and quietly.

>He pulls a beat up leather side bag onto his other shoulder and leaves the bike on a kickstand before making his way toward the phone booth.

| >A tall women walks towards the underpass, dressed in a plain black dress
>Her faded blond hair moves with the wind, and her blue eyes scan the surroundings
>A small and thin smile is stuck on her face, a condescending look that hid a hint of disgust and anger
>She sees the man who arrived previously, and follows along silently, heading for the phone booth...

| >The man stops short of the red phone booth- about a meter away, and stands there, listening.

| >>699127
>The phone keeps ringing, and breathing can be heard from within the phonebooth.
>The lights illuminating the underpass are very dim, it's impossible to see what or who is inside

| >There's more activity in the underpass, but it couldn't be the fault of the phonebooth. Dim headlights flood the entrance before a truck appears.. It slows upon meeting the motorcycle and eventually stops entirely.

| >>699127 >>699132
"Well, well, that is not a very inviting sound."
>The woman says, stopping only a bit behind the man
"Who would've thought that post had some truth to it, hmm?"
>Her smile stretches a bit further on her lips

| >>699139
>There's a pause before two figures exit each rear door-- one not quite dwarfed by the vehicle, and the other tall enough that you'd think they wouldn't fit inside it. Each of them survey their surroundings briefly, before the smaller member of the duo circles around the back of the truck to meet whoever it was that rode along with them.

"..."

| >>699143
>This wasn't how it was supposed to go down.

"..."

>All the right elements are here, but they're out of place. Nothing's where it's supposed to be. Nothing is /why/ it's supposed to be.

"..."

>"Bring that boyfriend of yours along, when you come back"-- he's here, as asked-- but, not to share stories over a bowl of homemade ramen. No, it's at his own insistence: out of concern that if he let her go alone, he might not get to share anything with her, anymore.

| >>699140

>The man's hand brushes over his sidearm before he turns toward you- he squints as he takes in your appearance quickly.

"In my experience, there's a lot of truth online that most would rather disbelieve."

| >>699145
>She thought she'd be less scared, since it'd be familiar: already been through this once, and lived to tell the tale... So, when her heart jumps up in her throat on hearing the phone-- on seeing that the booth's exactly the way it was left-- what little hope she had of maintaining her composure sinks into the pit of her stomach. The smaller figure tugs at one of the front panels on her jacket, ducking her head as she slips a hand behind.

"... Deactivate safety."

| >>699146
"Truer words are not oft spoken."
>She chuckles
"And it seems both of us know of such things that defy common sense."
>The smile on her face is eerie, but now seems tinged with a modicum of respect, and curiosity
"I do believe both of us are interested in this whole ordeal, why not work together to solve it?"

| >>699149

>He shrugs and bows slightly.

"Might as well. Although I can't say the same for the others that have arrived."
>So saying, he looks up and toward the truck that had just arrived, and its passengers.

>>699139 >>699143 >>699145 >>699147

| >>699150
"I am glad to meet someone inclined to cooperate... but yes, do these visitors intend to do the same, I must wonder, fufu-"

>The woman also turns towards the entrance, placing a hand behind her back as she does
>The grin on her face turns almost predatory, like a cat that's found a fat, juicy mouse

| >>699147
"Let's remember the real dangerous one is whoever is ringing that phone booth."
>A young says as he gets out of the car as well, straightening the blue trenchcoat he is wearing and adjusting the equally cobalt cyberdeck in his back.

| >>699158

>The man raises an eyebrow as the "young" disembarks with a cyberdeck.

"A dangerous phonebooth? Sounds familiar."

| >>699160
"Ah yes, like those murders from a while ago, no?"

>The woman puts a hand to her chin, and her smile grows wider, almost ecstatic

"I still remember, like it was yesterday, the thrill of those times, fufufu."

| >>699160
>...young MAN
"How familiar are we talking here? Are you the anonymous poster from earlier in the thread?"

| >>699161

"You have a questionable idea of thrill..." >The man says. He pushes his non-dominant hand into his leather jacket and roots around for something before withdrawing it.

| >>699162

"Hardly. Are *you*?" >The man replies, cooly.

| >>699164
>She smiles innocently

"I shall take that as a compliment."

>She turns to the young man, and appraises him, as she does, her predatory grin slolwy creeps back unto her face

| >>699165
>He just stares at him
"...No I'm CN."

| >>699166

>The man nods.

"As you like."

>>699167

"Nice to meet you."

| >>699167
>The woman seems elated when she hears that name, almost to the point of ecstacy

"Oh my... that is quite the coincidence, fufufu..."

>She rapidly composes herself, but cannot erase that horrible grin off her face

"I take it you are here because of the post... and yet you brought along a whole group... how very prepared, how very... interesting..."

| >>699169
"Usually it's customary to introduce yourself after they are introduce themselves to you."
>>699170
>He turns to the woman
"And you are...?"

| >>699171

"Ah? You'll have to forgive me then- I thought it was normal in this business to keep our names to ourselves..."

*He bows slightly.*

"My name is Kitakata, Toshizo. At your service."

| >>699147
>The woman pulls her face away from her windbreaker, letting whatever it is she was murmuring to stay hidden. No need to whip that out right this second. She straightens her posture, rolls her shoulders before she squares them, then looks up at the tall man next to her. She eyes him for a moment before tilting her head towards the phone booth. He nods in understanding. Both of them then shift their gaze to the truck's driver. >>699139

| >>699171
>The woman pinches the two sides of her skirt lightly and lifts it gracefully, she then bends her front knee and crosses her other leg, a perfect curtsy

"I am Aurelia, I belong to the group known as Ichythes. It is a pleasure to meet the man behind the myth... ufufu..."

>Her eyes land on you and she licks her lips

| >The phone-booth makes a noise and slowly the door leading inside it opens up, releasing a billowing cloud of vapour.
>It smells like a bleached out pool, like a mass of chlorine was disolved within the mist

| >>699178

"That doesn't seem like standard procedure for a phone booth." >The man quips.

| >>699178
"Oops, I suppose the time for talk should be cut short. I believe we are all here to investigate, let us skip all the pleasantries."

>The woman smiles and drops the hem of her dress

| >>699158 >>699173
>Said driver is the last one to step out of the truck. He's not as tall as the decker or the aforementioned boyfriend, but the shortest passenger would hardly dwarf him.
>He looks around while he pockets his keys.

| >>699173 >>699178
>The pair speak to one another in hushed tones, and the whispering becomes more frantic when the phone booth suddenly decides to remind everybody of it's presence.

"... picked it up last time; thought I got >>>hacked --"

"--at isn't really reassuring--!"

"Li--... --ig barrier maze, got ou--... --ventually."

>>699181
>Both drift towards the driver once he's outside the vehicle.

| >The woman turns around and heads straight for the phone booth, ignoring the stench of chloride emanating from within

>She inspects the booth from a few feet outside of it, the smile on her face reverting to the original thin grin

| >A few yards away from the group and the action, at the very entrance to the underpass, approached an unsuspecting visitor. The figure, wearing a dark green hooded sweatshirt over black jeans, had a small black case they carried over their shoulder. Staying hidden by crouching behind the vehicles, the figure now opened a hole in the side of the case, before pressing a button on it and looking inside the hole, opening another. Staying low, the figure opened a screen on the case.

| >There appears to be someone within the booth, holding up the receiver to their ear amidst all the smoke. the dim lighting doesn't allow you to make anything out past their shape.
>A tall man, a hand on his temple, hunched over
>his Breathing is calm, and steady

| >The man points nods toward the other three people who have yet to approach the phone booth, much less the three of them.

>>699182 >>699181

"Friends of yours?" >He asks the young MAN in a blue trenchcoat.

>>699171

| >Looking at the screen briefly, the figure selected a few settings before closing the screen, and then pointed the case at the entrance to the underpass, the group, and the phonebooth. Then, they began filming the scene below, doing their best to stay out of sight. The settings allowed for quick lighting adjustments, night vision, infrared, and a few other custom tricks.

| >>699186
>The woman grins

"Why hello there, can you hear me? I'm guessing you can't, all this ruckus is quite hard to ignore in the end."

>She awaits a response for around 20 seconds

| >>699172
"Nice to meet you Kitakata."
>He looks back to the trio he came with
>>699187
"Yes, we were warned it would be bad to come here alone."
>>699174
"Right..."
>CN types on his deck in secret
>read_tdef_Aurelia
>read_tdef_Ichythes

| >>699189
>The man within slowly turns towards the woman, his features are obscured by the darkness, blood drips down to the floor as he moves at a glacial pace
>His eyes come into view, pink and hazy, his smile is glowing in the dark as well

| >>699191
>The woman smiles, pulls out a large knife from the back of her dress and tosses it at the thing that has human form in one swift motion, as if she expected this

| >>699182
>The driver turns to face them, running a hand through the bangs that hide his eyes. He's also got CN within his sights.

| >>699191

>Kitakata nods and then spies the silhouette moving from within the phone booth. He frowns at the sight of blood on the ground.

>>699191

"You're injured... are you alright?"

| >>699191
>The camera zooms in on the phone booth, and the figure emerging from the mist. Trying to get an accurate shot of his appearance was difficult in the low-lighting of the underpass, quickly flipping through multiple types of camera settings to capture it in infrared, night-vision, EMF, and low-light.

| >The knife rips through the arm of the being within
>It falls to the floor, seemingly having lost all it's mass, the stench of chlorine gets stronger
>"Why, that was a tad rude wasn't it"
>A voice rings out from the receiver, filled with static, but loud enough to be heard by everyone present

| >>699193

>At the sight of the woman attacking the phone booth man, Kitakata immediately draws his sidearm and points it at her.

"What are you doing!?"

| >>699196
>The camera sees the man's face clearly, its machine eye seeing much better than the imperfect apandages of a human could.
>A somewhat young man, with a short beard, half of his face is missing it's skin, bleeding unto the ground

| >>699197
"My, I'm quite sorry, you simply gave me quite a scare, it is not good to approach a lady with such a gaze, you know?"

>The woman chuckles, but keeps a hand behind her back

| >>699198
"Please keep calm... that thing, it is not human, as you can plainly see."

>She turns to face the gun head on

"It would be best if you did not take these things at face value, fufu."

| >>699201

>Kitakata doesn't lower his weapon, but slowly moves back while glancing off at the "body" of the phone booth person. He lowers it as he turns to inspect the humanoid in full.

>>699199 >>699197

| >>699199
>The figure filming gasped at the appearance of the figure in the camera, and the knife exchange. It's the same one from the footage thread, that thing from space and the car. What the hell is that? Steeling themself, the figure grunts and continues filming. Any trace of fear must be shoved down right now, this is too important to not get seen.

| >>699194 >>699182
>The woman seems to stick herself to the taller man like glue-- which is almost comical considering her shorter stature barely lends the poor guy any cover. At least his legs will be safe, I guess? It kind of looks like he's already got them shielded by... something he's wearing, though. Both begin to wander over to the phone booth, stiffening visibly at the strange sounds of the commotion within, and the jarring shout from the payphone.

| >>699202
>The "man" within the booth is about six feet in height, his still remaining arm is set upon his temple and he advances forward, out of the booth in full
>His eyes are glowing a sick pink, and are filled with terror, trembling and writhing within their sockets
>His smile is glowing, literally
>Half of his face is missing, showing clearly the muscles underneath as blood drips down unto his neck and the floor

| >"This is quite the party, If I knew it was this easy, i'd have used []'s name earlier"
>Laughter errupts from the receiver, filled with static and trembling, writhing noises.

| >The woman's smile widens

"Quite the fair visage... fufu, I might fall for you, whatever you are."

>She takes a single step back

| >>699205

"...what in the world are children injecting these days." >Kitakata backs off a pace or two- he keeps his weapon drawn but pointed down, finger off the trigger.

"Are you alright?"

| >>699209
"I suggest you keep your distance, from both of them!"
>CN shouts at Kitakata.

| >CN pulls out his stungun, keeping a safe distance from the combatants involved.

| >>699209
>"Oh don't worry, I'm fine, just as you are"
>Laughter again, this time under his breath
>He walks forward, and stares at the group that came from within the truck, his smile still plastered unto his face.
>"I feel so much love, I simply cannot hold it in very well"

| >>699212

"As it is, you look like you're having a hard time holding your body together well..." >Kitakata quips, stepping back.

>>699210

"You know this man, CN?"

| >>699209
"I will say this now, my dear friend."

>The woman pulls out another knife

"That thing is not human, at least not anymore, and the words is speaks are vile perversions of our fair language."

| >The man raises his remaining arm into the air
>The arm within the phone booth moves too, but quickly seems to lose it's shape.
>Powder flows out of the coat's sleeve that still covered it, along with the thick stench of chlorination

| >>699212
>Her eyes spot him first. Her partner's aren't far behind. It's not the speed with which he comes into her field of view that makes him look especially ghastly-- it's the tiny details her eye augments let her pick out amongst the plentiful gore: sheen of tendons dulled by exposure to the air, withering fascia... She backpedals right into the taller man, swearing loudly.

"Oh, >>>shit."

| >>699215

"Not human... anymore?"

"Then... a cyborg?" >Kitakata responds. You see a bead of sweat move down his forehead.

| >>699218
>"That would be a tad wrong good friend, although not wrong either"
>He smiles ever wider
>"What am I indeed? I stopped thinking about it recently, I am what we all are"
>His armless shoulder moves to show itself to you
>The insides of his body are hallowed out, blood like oil, tendons like long red cables. but all of them
>Are fully Hollow

| >>699216
>The figure filming shudders as he sees the uneasy behavior of the man below. Keeping the camera trained on him, the figure zooms out to make sure to include the entire group in the scene, just in case. The smell began to get somewhat bothersome, but for the sake of the footage put their nose in their coat and toughed it.

| >>699218
"If only. It's entire being has been corrupted by evil forces, the love it speaks of tries to worm and overwhelm everything."

>She takes another step back and gets ready to toss her knife in it's head

"Frankly, I doubt it wishes any of us any good, perhaps it thinks it does, but it does not."

| >>699219

>Kitakata grinds his teeth, then breathes out. He sighs.

"...are you the poster of that "footage" on danger/u/?"

| >>699217
>Trailing the pair was the driver. A few steps away, he can only watch as the two bump into each other.. His hand hovers over his jacket.

| >>699222

"Hm. So... like a virus, then." >Kitakata muses.

"Or a cult, if I were to take your meaning literally."

| >>699223
>"No, I am not"
>The voice says, plainly
>"He posted it, the one who loves me and you as he does his own children. the one [] betrayed and left to rot, I am but the receptacle for him"
>The voice laughs, it sputters as the body before you also moves its shoulder as if he was laughing... although there is nothing left inside him that could produce such a sound

| >>699214
"No, which is why I'm saying to stay away! This is more complex than a human or cyborg!"
>>699215
"Which begs the question why a follower of The Spark is here."
>CN asks the woman

| >>699227

>Kitakata's expression seems to relax slightly.

"...so a cult then. I see."

| >>699228

"The Spark?" >Kitakata asks, raising an eyebrow.

| >>699225
>The woman smiles

"You are free to think of it like that, a virus that instills some sort of mental corruption... or so it seems."

>She twirls her knife

"I believe killing it off would be for the best."

>>699228

"Oh, so you know of us?! How joyful, to know our group is so widely known by even the legend himself... I cannot help but smile... fufu..."

>She does smile, all the time

| >>699231

"I think not." >Kitakata turns to face her now, but doesn't remove the strange "man" from his side vision.

"If he really is... 'infected,' it behooves him to be treated at a hospital."

| >>699229
>"Not a cult no, why would we pray to a god? to ever bend the knee to something that doesn't truly love us?"
>The voice sounds irritated, but the smile of the man never wavers, only getting wider, as it does more blood pours from his faceless visage
>His pink eyes focus upon >>699217
>Hazy and discoloured, they mirror a sight you've seen before
>"Oh a friend of GRANT, how pleasant"
>He starts to slowly return to the booth and picks up the receiver within, he tears it off

| >>699232
"His insides are quite empty... I doubt there is much to treat. What is not human will not regain humanity, all it has left is shape."

>She smiles, but waits for any further movement

| >>699219
">>>Roy, fucking... get>>>down or get behind the truck--!!"

>She's panicking. This wasn't how it was supposed to go, goddamnit! A shaky hand darts out of sight to search frantically within her jacket again, for something she's only ever held a couple of times. Would she even recognize what she was looking for?

"Fuck, fuck, fuck--"

| >>699236
>The man slowly walks towards you, his arm still holding the receiver
>His eyes waver, pleading, horrified
>The phone starts to ring within his hand, and he keeps approaching.

| >>699237
>The woman simply sighs, and tosses the knife in the back of his head

"If it will not at least listen, all we can do is grant it peace, no?"

| >"See how it rings."
>His eyes pucker up, looking malicious along with that smile, ever so slightly enlarging upon his grotesque visage
>"It's for you Aikawa"
>The voice says, static filling its tonality

| >>699234 >>699235

"You're both speaking a lot of nonsense." >Kitakata says, his voice growing frustrated.

| >>699238
>The knife embeds itself within the man's head, which slowly starts to lose its shape
>The knife falls to the ground, along with powder and once again the stench of chlorine.
>His head bleeds

| >>699237

>Kitakata immediately runs ahead and puts himself between the "man" and the panicking person.

"Stop right there... sir."

| >>699241

>Kitakata watches as the man's head seems to... deflate.

| >>699241
"...Ineffective."

>>699240
"Please trust me when I say that thing needs to die, quick."

>Her smile drops for a second, but comes back soon after

| >>699242
>"Do not stop me please, surely you can see my business is not over"
>The man stops, and puts the receiver under his armpit, using his now free hand to cover the bleeding hole in his cranium
>"If I cannot move, then surely she can come pick up, I will wait"
>The voice says, lights flicker

| >>699237 >>699239
"Augh, fucking... where is it?! WHERE--?!"

>Trembling, she pulls the smart pistol from the confines of her breast pocket, tries her best to aim it at this... behemoth with a glimmering jaw that's lumbering towards the three of them. Six feet of him... How could she miss? She hip checks Roy out of her way when he doesn't clear fast enough.

"S-STOP--!!"

| >>699244

"Maybe in *your* line of work, but in *mine-*"

>>699245

"...dear god what *are* you-"

>He turns to see >>699246 drawing a firearm, and his attention is broken for a fraction of a second.

"HOLD YOUR FIRE!"

| >The phone rings
>You know who's beyond it
>Pick it up Aikawa
>The man smiles widely
>>699244
>"What is the point, how can one kill what is empty. breaking the vase doesn't make it's hollowness stop existing. it simply spreads it, like blood upon pavement"
>Chuckles from all around

| >>699246

>The woman smiles, so that one is 'Aikawa'
>She shelves the information for later, and calmly takes out another knife from her dress' back

"Quite intriguing, this whole thing is, how funny."

>She chuckles and smiles some more

| >>699248
"Then I simply must fill you with sand and toss you into a bay, fufufu."

>She slightly squints

| >>699249

"There is nothing funny about this situation!"

>He yells at Aikawa >>699246

"Put the gun *down*, son."

| >>699253 >>699247
"NO-- MOVE!!"

>Aikawa's voice cracks pitifully, and she swallows, hard.

>How do you know him?! What the fuck have you got to do with him? What would he ever want with /you/?!

| "..."
>The driver strides past the pair, keeping his own gun raised. It didn't appear from thin air - He must have took it out from the holster beneath his jacket.
>>699247
>Kitakata feels a sharp jab as the guy forces himself past. Rather than Aikawa, he's the first one to shoot.

| >"I can't read you like he does, please, just pick up the phone"
>The man's posture is slowly getting worse as powder and blood splatters to the ground underneath him.

| >>699254

"You don't want to do this- I have no idea what in the nine hells is going on here, but-" >Kitakata barks, pointing his firearm at the shambling... thing. He cocks the hammer on the weapon.

|

| >>699255

>Kitakata reacts- not by shooting the man who just shot the shambling corpse thing, but by trying to wrestle him out of the way!

| >>699255
>The sound of gunfire rings out
>The smell of gunpowder
>Blood and chlorine
>The man smiles as he sputters, making no noise as he slowly, glacially falls forward to the ground
>"I'm coming back, back to all of you"
>A voice echoes in the distance, as the sound of a tape being ejected resounds from within his body.
>The phone still rings, having fell unto the ground

| >Silence envelops the tunnel as the lights come back on

| >>699255
>Aikawa spooks violently when the driver's gun fires-- she nearly folds in on herself like a lawn chair as she drops her pistol and covers her ears. All other sound around blurs together. The only one she can pick out is the ring of the phone.

"..."

>A coward... a born coward...

| >>699260
>The woman walks forward and picks up the phone, she then chuckles

"Who volunteers for the spooky telephone?"

| >>699260
>The figure continued to film the ensuing scene, but gasps after the gunshot.
"S-shit..."
>The figure then drops the camera as all the lights come back on, that in and of itself somehow being scary enough to finally make the figure jump out of their skin as the black case tumbled on the ground, echoing ridiculously loudly in the silence.
"...f-fuck..."
>Well, cover was broken.

| >>699262
"Ei... Ei, the phone--"

>Someone's got their hand on her shoulder-- it moves quickly to grab under her armpit and hoist her off the ground. She wobbles and stumbles blindly as she tries to regain her footing.

>I want to talk to him. I want to talk to him. I want to talk to him.

"You... y-you said you answered it, last time..."

| >>699261

>Kitakata is blinded as the lights turn on, and lets go of the Driver(tm).

| >>699263
"Give it to me."
>CN addresses the woman, being closer to her than Aikawa in the moment.

| >Anyone paying attention to the body on the floor would find in it's place a coat laying within a puddle of oily blood and salt.
>The phone still rings, its cut chord seemingly not a problem for the whatevr caller is trying to come in

| >>699263 >>699268
>I'm the reason all these fuckers showed up.

>>>"No."

| >>699259
>The deed is already done. He tries to shove Kitakata off, gun lowered and his finger off the trigger.

| >>699268 >>699269 >>699263
"H-Hand it over."

| >Quickly leaning over and grabbing the camera, the figure began to brush it off and opened the screen on it once more.
"Come one, don't be broken or corrupted, don't be broken or corrupted...Yes!"
>The footage was still filming, so the figure grabbed the camera and began once more, not sure if everyone was just too busy to catch him there or what but definitely not going to stop filming now.

| >>699272
"Aha, shivering so cutely like that, young boy..."

>She smiles and puts the telephone forward

"Don't worry, if you turn out like that, I'll make sure to end your suffering."

>She looks down at the pile of powder and oil, her smile widening

| >>699275
>The footage is intact, in fact it seems to have been upscaled. every single detail within the scene is crisp and clear.
>Even the face that was staring the whole time from behind the phone booth
>It's eyes nonexistant
>It's smile warm
>His body like a phantom
>Pink haze upon a relfective surface
>He loves you Pirat3.
>He truly does.

| >>699267
>..Though that's not hard, with Kitakata being predisposed. He steps away.

| >>699276

"That's far enough. Don't take another step." >Kitakata says, his gun drawn and pointed at knife woman.

"Place that... phone... on the ground and turn around, slowly."

| >>699276
>Aikawa snatches the phone from the woman's hands, or... tries to, anyway. She hasn't taken her eyes off the ground. She gets the feeling that if she does, her head'll start spinning. She misses twice before seizing it-- third time's the charm-- and brings it slowly to her ear. What is that? Static? Or, are her teeth chattering?

"W--... w-what..."

| >>699278

>Kitakata rubs his eyes as he recovers his wits.

(Ah, sorry about that- >>699279 Let's say that this happened before the above.)

| >""""YOU HAVE BEEN CHOSEN""""
>A female voice announces
>Static starts to play
>A casette is ejected
>Dial tone

| >>699282
"..."

>... That's not Grant.

"...?"

>Who the fuck is that?

| >>699279
>She sighs

"That phone seemed quite intent on finding itself in that young boy's hands. They seem to want it, as well."

>>699280
>And so, she finds herself phoneless

"Or what? Are you going to shoot at a poor, defensless young woman?"

| >>699281
(Gotcha. I also missed your post, so it was my bad.)

| >>699284

"I won't pretend to know half of what is going on here... but you have just murdered this man in cold blood. You..." >He peeks over to wherever The Driver was.

"And that man."

>Kitakata says.

| >A distant engine can be heard as a bike quickly arrives at the scene. A purple haired lilim climbs off of it and looks around a bit. They seemed to be wearing an armored vest with some kind of sword hanging off their right shoulder. Eventually spotting the group at the underpass. Seeing the man with their gun out though, they quickly draw their own gun and move in.

"What the hell is going on here?"

| >>699278

| >>699287
"That MAN, as you say, was not alive anymore, just look at what he turned into. I am all for inclusion of every species into the family of man... but that thing was dangerous."

>She smiles and puts her hands on her hips

>>699288
"Nothing much. Truthfully, it has ended. As most things do."

>She chuckles

| >>699287
"..."
>He's putting his gun away. Rather than care about how people die if they are killed, he seems to be focused on who's been given the phone.

| >>699283
>How can she possibly look more lost now than she did before? Roy sees Aikawa staring holes into the ground and bends down to try and catch her eye. What did she hear?

"Ei, what is it...?"

>Aikawa squints.

"T-tape..."

| >>699291

"What the hell are you talking about? This isn't the time for philosophy-" >Kitakata's voice trails off as he looks down at... this pile of not-Man.

>>699269

| >>699291
>Nym frowns at the woman. Something is... off about her. About how nonchalant she seems to be. They look down at the corpse and their facial expression turns even more grim as they focus back on the woman.

"I... see. Well seeing as you're apparently in a good mood, mind filling me in?"

>As they speak, Nym looks over at Aikawa and Roy. A hint of concern is on their face, but they soon turn their attention back to the woman.

| >>699294
>The pile is silent, blood seeps from it slowly, colouring the salt that once constituted the body of whoever the man was into a deep crimson

| >>699295
"We came here to investigate the bizarre thread from the matrix. We find a spooky telephone booth from which comes a grotesque fascimili of human life, which we have now destroyed."

>She chuckles

>>699294
"It is not philosophy, that thing could not be allowed to exist, as it defies nature, thus, it is better dead and gone."

>Her smile becomes elated

| >>699277
>...That was strange. What was that strange chill? It felt like being spoken through, as opposed to being spoken to...

>Casting aside that, the figure saw that the phone had hung up in the camera's view, and now that another figure has entered the scene, it seems like this is probably the best time to leave. They quickly stood up, stopped the footage, and began to exit the scene, trying to remain unseen.

| >>699293
"'Tape'?"

>Roy shakes his head, puzzled.

"It... it clicked...?"

>Aikawa makes a gesture with her hand that seems purposeless to Roy, but would make sense to anyone familiar with the tech being referenced: she pushes forward, then flexes her wrist back carefully as if withdrawing something from the air in front of her.

"What...?"

| >>699299
>You easily make way into the night
>Although the lingering smell of Chlorine sticks to your clothes like thick glue
>The Moon's light is omnipresent outside the underpass.

| >>699298 >>699296

>Kitakata holsters his firearm and approaches the corpse, examining it from a hopefully safe distance. He pulls out a transparent phone, dials a number on it, and then brings it to his ear.

| >>699298
"So a bizarre thread and a spooky phone booth. Great."

>Nym literally just groans.

"Let me tell you from experience: You probably shouldn't investigate spooky phone booths that you hear about online. Last time I did that, I was almost trapped in a burning bank with an insane AI. Looking at that... thing on the ground, it seems like we might be dealing with something even worse than that."

>The lilim lowers their weapon and just rubs their temples with their other hand.

| >>699302
>The corpse is silent, although its smell is agressive.
>Chlorine, oil, gasoline, blood.
>Not a pleasant combination

| >>699300
>Aikawa finally picks her head up, glancing at >>699302 and what remains of the nightmare everyone present just lived.

"Clicked..."

>Before she covered her ears... what did she hear? She brings the hand that isn't holding the phone to her face, raking it through her bangs.

| >>699303
"Quite intruiging, that story of yours, fufu, I will take that warning to heart."

>Her smile becomes much wider

"For now."

>She chuckles and turns back towards the corpse, following Kitakata's lead, she crouches near the body.

"Quite smelly."

| >>699303

"A burning bank you say?" >Kitakata says, still waiting on the phone call. He sniffs the air with a grimace.

>>699304

>...finally, it picks up.

| >>699307
>"You shouldn't be calling here"
>A female voice answers, she chuckles
>"I'm trying my best to make sure nothing from outside comes in after-all"
>The call time on your phone reads:
>3 years, 48 days, 4 hours, 28 seconds

| >>699306
"Something tells me that you won't, and that you're gonna end up waist deep in this drek. And even more worrying is that you probably want that."

>Nym turns their attention away from the lady and looks at Aikawa.

>>699305
"You alright...?"

| >>699310
"Fufu, we only just met, and you already know me so well."

>She grins from ear to ear, but then goes back to staring at the man examning the corpse

| >>699309

>Kitakata freezes.

"...You are making a very big mistake, whomever you are." >He says into the phone grimly.

"So lets cut to the chase. Who are you and what do you want with these people?"

| >>699304
>Roy's lip curls in disgust. She's told him about some of the house calls she's made before; the 'wellness checks'-- little old ladies who seem to have vanished into thin air-- absence only noticed by nosey neighbors who feel obligated to do the right thing, and call the police...

"..."

>She said she usually gets there first. She usually gets there first, and once she's inside, she finds... a body-- sometimes well on it's way to looking like that one.

"..."

| >>699312
>The voice seems uncertain
>"I wanted to keep him safe, outside the reach of those things... outside of the EDEN crisis"
>She breathes in
>"I'm Serina, not affiliated with anyone, not interested to be..."

| >>699313
"Should... should we just... >>>leave that, there? Isn't that a biohazard?"

>Water runs through here, though Roy's uncertain as to whether or not it feeds in to anything the citizens of GC drink.

"Ei..."

>>699310
>Roy holds up a hand at Nym, and shakes his head, grimacing. Aikawa doesn't move. Not now. Not right now.

| >>699311
"It's because from the moment you opened your mouth, you seemed like trouble. Normal people aren't this calm when something like this happens."

>Nym gestures towards Aikawa

"They usually look like that."

| >>699315
>The woman stares at the two, that roguish grin on her face

"What did you hear on that phone, young man?"

| >>699314

"Wanted to keep *who* safe? What does this have to do with EDEN?"

>Kitakata says, his voice growing tense. He pinches the bridge of his nose.

"...look. We all have our roles to play. The fact is, there's a dead... thing... on the ground here and this city has had more than enough unexplainable disasters. None of us on the force wants to deal with *another*."

| "If you understand that, please let me make my call... and I'll forget that you were involved in obstruction of justice... Serina." >Kitakata finishes.

| >>699318
>The girl sighs
>"I know, but I can't tell you much more... Aleck is the one who asked me to post that footage out there, he's here if you want to talk to him. But I warn you, say anything antagonistic to him and that's your shot pal"
>She sounds deadly serious

| >>699317 >>699315
>One of Aikawa's eyebrows twitches. Roy can see her jaw clench, and her lips pull back in a tight frown.

"..."

>Shakily, she draws a long, deep breath... then marches past Kitakata, past CN, past the driver, the lilim, and the woman hiding knives in the pleats of her skirt--

"..."

>Her stride is jerky, and uncoordinated-- several times she nearly trips on her own shoes-- and, when she makes it to the phone booth, she ends up slamming her shoulder into its side.

| >>699321
>It doesn't stop her. She pivots around the wall of the booth, almost swinging herself on it's edge like she was the door-- and with all the force she can possibly muster, crams that receiver right back into the cradle it came from.

| >>699321

>Kitakata snaps up toward the phone booth from the noise of Aikawa slamming her side against it.

"What are you doing!?"

| >>699322
"Oi, you okay Aikawa...?"

>Nym takes a few steps towards the booth.

| >>699322
>The phone clicks
>The call ends
>You can feel yourself falling forward, the door to the phone booth closes itself with a slam
>>699323
>Your phone call ends

| >>699325

"HEY!" >Kitakata yells, running over to the phone booth!

| >>699325
>Roy's a mere two paces from the booth when the door snaps closed-- with that he closes the distance in an instant, and starts trying to wrench the damned thing open.

"Ei?! EI--!!"

| >Kitakata starts trying to kick it open- and by this point, he is also redialing his phone.

| >>699325
"Oh hell no."

>Nym moves forward, ready to tear the door off of the booth.

"Aikawa, are you alright!?"

| >The phonebooth starts to ring as the phone within starts to visibly shake in front of Aikawa
>The lights flicker and suddenly everything ends
>The door opens, emptiness.

| >>699330
"Oh, drek"

*Nym quickly moves into the booth and tries picking up the phone*

| >Kitakata stares dumbfounded at the empty phone booth. He sighs deeply.

"I've seen enough. I'm calling this in."

| >>699331

"Lilim, get away from there!" >Kitakata barks as he dials.

| >>699330
>Roy's hand flies to his mouth as his eyes dart wildly about the interior of the booth, like he's trying to search each and every individual air molecule for her. He's shoved out of the way for the second time this evening when Nym forces their way into the booth, and tries to make a call, themselves.

>>699332
"Call >>>what in, to who?!"

| >>699333
>Nym very much ignores the guy and starts looking for a port to jack into.

| >The woman merely smiles, a hand on each of her cheeks

"Fufu... quite interesting, they never disappoint."

>She begins almost squealing in delight

"Me too, I can't wait for the day that person drags me into something... fufufufu..."

| >>699335
>You find one quite easily, underneath the main unit that holds the receiver

| >>699335

>You hear the cock of a firearm as a hammer is pulled back.

"I'm not going to ask again."

>>699334

>He pulls out a badge with the letters G.C.P.D. emblazoned on it.

"The Police. On my authority as an inspector, this is now a murder investigation..."

>He looks toward the phonebooth.

"...and, if applicable, a kidnapping."

| >>699336
>Nym looks over their shoulder at the lady.

"Okay, what the hell do you know about this?"

>>699338
>Nym jacks in via their built-in cyberterminal

>>699339
>The lilim nonchalantly draws their own weapon and points it at the cop.

"Don't get in my way. I'm trying to find my friend and I'm willing to bet if we take a bullet each, you'll be hurting more than I will."

>There's an obvious edge to their voice.

| >>699339
>Roy grits his teeth hard enough to crack a molar. Maybe two, if he's especially unlucky.

| >>699339
"An officer, oh my, that is quite the twist."

>The woman's smile grows as large as it could be
>She does not look surprised, more like really happy
>Almost as if she was thinking "How much worse can this get? I'm dying to see it!"

"This city never fails to keep me on the edge of my methaporical seat. I love it, so, so much..."

>She licks her lips

| >>699343
>As soon as you connect, you feel your cyber brain being assaulted by a myriad of stimuli, voices course through the open port, along with pain and a deafening voice
>""""YOU HAVE BEEN CHOSEN""""
>The connection stops abruptly, and sends you reeling with light dumpshock

| >>699343
"I only know what I know, Miss Lilim, nothing else."

>Her smile is unbridled madness by now, and her eyes are full of sadistic joy, like a child crushing a bug

"The question is more, what don't you know, and why. Why should you know? Are you sure you want to know, and why do I owe you an explanation?"

| "..."

> There is a sound of footsteps, slightly further south of the commotion. It stops, perceiving the event to have fallen beyond recognition, but then it continues. Closer, even closer. Is she too late? No. Leave it to her to stay hidden like this.

> What kind of cruel bar joke is this?

| >>699348
"tch"

>Nym disconnects and slams their fist into the side of the booth with enough force to damage it. They look over at the woman.

>>699347
"What the frag is going on here. Why did she disappear?"

>Nym marches up to the woman.

"What the hell do you know?"

| >>699343

"...you don't scare me, lilim. You fire that weapon at an officer, and not only will mandatory "rehabilitation" be the softest punishment you'll receive, but you'll send the rights of your kind straight back into the toilet. Like it was a couple years ago."

"As someone who's connected to the Source, are you really *that* callous?"

"...or are you someone's puppet?"

>Kitakata's brow sweats. He doesn't budge.

| >>699350
(whoops, should have refreshed first, sorry)

"Why should I know? Because my friend just fragging vanished into thin air. And why should you tell me? Because you really don't want to get in my way right now."

| >>699354
>The smile on her face grows wider

"You would love to know, everybody would! But why do you need it, why is it not already clear in your mind? Fufufu..."

>Smugly, like a child who knows everything, but won't tell their parents, she keeps chuckling

>>699353
"I'll come with you, Mr.Police Officer. I doubt I'm guilty of anything execpt protecting this city from that thing."

>Her smile suddenly dies down

"...But I'd rather not get jailed."

| >>699344
>Roy's on the verge of looking like he's about to pop a blood vessel when his phone sounds loudly in his pocket. His breath practically explodes out of him-- bad habits die hard-- he scrambles to view the message.

"...!"

>His eyes look like they're about to fall right out of his head.

| >>699353
"This isn't even a threat but a legitimate warning. You don't want to try and rehabilitate me right now. You're seriously in over your head."

>Nym turns their attention to the woman now.

>>699355
"Hey lady? I'd appreciate it if you dropped the riddles."

| >>699292
>The driver's phone receives a message, as well.

| >>699358

"That's my line, lilim. Only one of us has much more to lose than their life from a bodycam recording." >Kitakata says smoothly. His firearm is still focused on the lilim.

| >>699358
"Sorry, my dear, it'll always be a bad habit of mine, fufufu."

>Her smile comes back in full force

"Such a beautiful thing, fufu."

| >>699361
>Nym just groans.

"Just. Just shut up for a second."

>>699363
"You clearly know more than you're letting on, and you clearly view this as some sort of morbid game. As much as I'd rather not play this game, I'd also like to find out where the hell my friend went so I'll ask just this once. What do you want?"

| >>699361
"Ahem.. you there, Inspector!"

> She spoke. It was enough being dumbfounded like this.

"Put the gun down, or god help me debrief what's going on. What division are you from?"

> What spoke is a black-haired woman clad in a typical GCPD uniform, covered by a trenchcoat draping over her two sides.

| >>699365
"I wish only to see something that will be beautiful and new. Just as that person brought forth life, I want to see that same life play out."

>She stands up and stretches her hands, a wide grin on her face

"Your friend was taken by that person, albeit indirectly, I have no doubt he must be seeing something truly beautiful."

>Her face twists into a scowl

"How envious! HOW ENVIOUS! Fufu."

>Her smile comes back just as fast

| >>699366

>For the first time since this half-standoff started, Kitakata seems to relax at hearing, and seeing, an obvious GCPD officer. He holds onto the gun just in case, however.

"Sir- there's been a homicide... although, I have a sneaking suspicion that it may have happened earlier than today."

>He turns to face the woman, slightly, making sure he still has sight of the lilim.

"And a kidnapping. But before that..." >He looks past the GCPD officer to see if anyone else-

| >Is with them...

| >Now might be a good time to speak up, Roy, so we can at least clear up that "kidnapping" misconception...

"A-ah-- she's-- she's >>>okay!!"

>His thumbs tap frantically at the screen.

| >>699370
>Nym turns to Roy.

"Wait, you're in communication with her!?"

| >>699369
> Alas, the confused officer had came alone. She grimaces at this messy sight. There is no way this city can get any worse.

"I was tipped here because we have a high-profile case at hand, several miles from here. Never would have guessed this is what I see."

> Her eyes are curious, but they don't discriminate. She sees all in a suspicious, doubting manner.

| >>699371
>Roy nods emphatically, still in partial disbelief himself. Another ping, as he gets a reply.

| >>699372

>Kitakata sighs in relief.

"Finally, some good news- I've been trying to summon a discreet forensics crew down here for the past half an hour, but I have reason to believe my phone is... compromised."

| >>699374
>Nym visibly relaxes.

"Okay, good..."

| >>699374
"Fufu, how wonderful, how compassionate... ah, I too, wish to be swept up to the other side of the worlds by that person... how envious... fufu..."

>She smiles and begins twirling in joy, her long black dress flowing along with her faded blond hair

"If only every day could be like this..."

| >>699374
>Roy wrinkles his nose at whatever's just popped up on the screen. He shakes his head, rolls his eyes, and sighs to himself.

| >>699375
"You have a lot in your hand, don't you? Debrief me the specifics once we're done here. Keep your guard up."

> The actors here doesn't belong to a typical day. No. She shook her head and rubs her chin. This isn't better than a manslaughter case.

"Selena. Detective for GCPD Criminal Investigation Department. I will be overseeing the case."

> She turns towards Kitakata, digging through her coat to flash an identification.

| >>699382

>Kitakata pulls out his own identification.

"Kitakata. I'm with the investigative department of the P.C.S... or what's left of it." >He scratches his head ruefully.

"Most of them have switched patches to the B.C.D. Seems there isn't any room for investigative work these days- the boys are a little jumpy."

| >>699390
"I see. No wonder I can't make you out. There isn't a name I don't know around here, not when their job is the same as I am."

> Selena tucks away her identification upon seeing Kitakata's. She's more relaxed now. There is someone trustworthy around here.

"Is this a cult incident again? How you said this case is, it reeks cultists to me."

| >>699394

"Most likely." >Kitakata points out, in no particular order, CN, Aurelia, and... the corpse.

"These two went into some sort of ideological babble when the victim was... 'alive.'" >Kitakata says, using air quotes.

"They made it seem like he was infected with some kind of virulent, contagious disease." >He pauses for effect.

"...you can probably determine why I was trying to contact a discreet team."

| >>699397
> Hearing this, Selena sighs. Another busy day at work.

"I'll try patching you up with my crew later. This isn't a one-man job. Especially with that guy around."

> She points to CN with her head.

"You said that /thing/ was alive?"

> Then she turns to the corpse. Her face visibly shrivels at its sight.

"God. Great. Here I was thinking this is going to be a typical cult kidnapping."

| >>699397 >>699403
>The woman merely sighs, but her smile remains intact

"How many times must I tell you that nobody was murdered? Unless you consider killing the equivalent of drywall 'murder'."

>She puts a hand into the powdery remains of the body, like a child playing in a sand castle

"If that was human, then none of us qualify. Fufu."

| >>699408
"Lady, I suggest you stay clear and don't tamper with the evidence. Let's make this as easy and civil as possible. I hate tooting and pointing my gun."

> She looks taken aback by the property of the body. This is no way something she had seen before.

"Murder or not, you're not making this easy on us."

| >>699403
>CN was lost in his own world, cupping a hand to his chin as he was focusing on the 'corpse', if you could even call it that, and sighs, having been listening to everything in his peripheral.
"Everyone let's calm down. Detective Selena I can give some insights you want, I'm probably the most knowledgeable here."
>He glances at >>699408
"...The one willing to explain anyways. The short version is the 'corpse' is a result of experimentation of one of many AIs doing their own tampering in the city. It isn't cult, that would imply they have nothing to back up their claims. The fact of the matter is this body wasn't human, unless you know one who can live which such a large concentration of chlorine in them."

| >>699515

"AI conducting experiments? Great. As if this city needed anymore unrestrained experimentation..."

>Kitakata says gruffly.

"How do all of *you* fit into this then?"

| >>699527
>Nym gestures to CN, Nano, Roy, and the phone booth

"I heard my friends were doing something stupid so I came to make sure they weren't dying."

>They then gesture to the lady.

"No clue who she is though."

| >>699529

"And that's why you pointed a weapon at me."

>Kitakata says flatly.

| >>699530
"You were distracting me and being annoying."

>Nym sort of just waves their hand dismissively, apparently not thinking much if it.

| >>699534

>In response. The cop opens his side bag and pulls out a pair of handcuffs and a restraining collar. He presses a button on both which begin to glow with a faint blue led.

>Charging complete. Ready.

"You should show a little more respect for the GCPD, edgerunner. If this situation were less delicate, I'd have to take you in."

| >>699530
"E-Excuse her... she always gets in a bad mood when these sorts of situations arrive."
>CN apologizes for Nym, trying to defuse this issue as fast as possible.

| >>699408
>There's something hard within the remains, cold to the touch like metal
>It oozes with liquid underneath the pile

| >>699536

"Right..." >Kitakata says, pocketing the restraints.

| >>699529
>Roy shoots the lilim a dirty look. Right-- /they're/ the ones out here doing something stupid, while Nym's demonstrating their profound proficiency in all matters social by taunting a cop.

| >>699545
> Selena leers at Kitakata, right after hearing CN's explanation. There are a lot to consider and this leaves her thinking longer than necessary.

"Don't get hasty and mix up your case. We don't want unnecessary bad rep. You're not going to wring information if you're exercising your rights like this."

> She turns to CN.

>>699515
"You know a lot about this. Was it just time and coincidence? But if it's you, I'm willing to rule out coincidence."

| >>699546
>Roy glances down at his phone again.

>[Aikawa Ei]: fyi im like....still breathing n my brains not fried so if youre planning on freaking the fuck out dont

>[Roy Walker]: Where are you?

>[Aikawa Ei]: somewhere where i could stop and say hi to your 'ma omw back to glitch

>[Roy Walker]:
>[Roy Walker]: What?

>[Aikawa Ei]:
>[Aikawa Ei]: sorry musta picked up this chummers habit of speaking cryptic fucken bullshit
>[Aikawa Ei]: having dinner w/ a friend
>[Aikawa Ei]: bbl

| >Another person arrives on the scene, their small height only made stark as they appear next to CN
>Two large horns appear on her head and a smile on her young looking face.
>She wears an oversized GCPD uniform, along with the markings of a Major
>She waves to no one in particular
"Hey! What's happening here!"
>She practically screams, her hands getting set upon her small hips

| >>699547
"The location was posted online, that's how just about everyone here found out about this all."
>CN shrugs
"As for my knowledge on the subject, I've been dealing with some of these AIs for years. I'm not sure how this *particular*... entity was made, but I know their MO."

| >>699536
"Because it's always a phone booth. Every fraggin' time. A phone booth!"

>Nym just sorta throws their arms up into the air before walking over to the booth again and just sort of... pressing their face against the side of it in exasperation.

"And don't give me that look, Roy. Last time there was a mysterious spooky phone booth, I almost died like 4 times in the span of 24 hours. So forgive me if I'm irritable and worried that the same might happen to one of you guys."

| >>699554
"Major Chanka is that you!?"
>CN looks surprised to see the short officer at the scene.
"I suppose you have a habit of getting involved in these."

| >>699559
>Talia A. Chanka turns to you, her face a look of uncertainty
"Uh? who are you again"
>She racks her brain, quite literally pushing a hand unto her forehead

| >>699565
"M-Major Chanka... it's CN."
>He can't tell if its a good thing or bad thing that she forgets so easily...

| >>699568
>The Oni taps one of her hand into her open palm
"Oh right, yeah I knew that gahah"
>She sweats, her eyes avoiding your gaze. she starts walking ahead, shoving her hands into her pockets and fishing around for something, probably her ID.
"What about the rest of you guys... anything to do with uh..."
>She gives the "body" a look
"... is that salt, bleeding salt? Human Chlorination huh?"
>She shakes her head, she was getting ahead of herself again

| >>699550
[Roy Walker]:
[Roy Walker]: I said you weren't going anywhere without me.

>>699558
>Roy grunts in response, and slides his phone into his pocket.

"My apologies, Nym. Please forgive >>>me for being unaware of your... atypical experiences with phone booths."

>He gestures within the small space. Now, much of Roy is long-- his legs, his arms... his reach. Totalling a height of 6'4", he has an impressive wingspan to match. His irises flick towards the phone momentarily.

| >>699565
"Major Chanka. Good to see you here. I'm Detective Selena, GCPD CID. I'm currently overseeing the case here. I'm glad you came over."

> Selena is now at ease. She shows her badge and identification to confirm her identity to Chanka. She sensed familiarity between CN and Chanka.

>>699557
"I see. More reason to keep you around then."

| >Kitakata sighs and wipes his face.

>>699570

"When I asked to be moved to this department, I was expecting to look into backalley chop shops or contraband bioweapons."

>He opens his eyes as a realization comes to him.

"...Wait. A woman entered that phone booth and 'disappeared.'"

| >>699570
"Human chlorination? Is this anything I should know? I'll be blunt. This is my first time seeing something like this."

| >>699572

>Kitakata nods and shows his badge as well, although it looks a bit faded, like a hand me down. Beneath are the initials of P.C.S- Pathogen Containment Squad.

"I arrived on scene in plainclothes to assess the situation based on a location posted online, at that... 'deep web' website, danger/u/. I didn't expect to find anything other than some so called razorboys selling Category 1's."

| >>699570
>She totally didn't know huh...
"I would say human anything is a stretch in this case."
>CN shrugs

| >>699572
>Chanka pulls out her own police ID, showing her full name and ID picture.
>The White Knight logo is still on there, showing a previous association with the BlitzKrieg corps
"Selena huh, that's a pretty name"
>She smiles
"Jinston doesn't mean to steal this case, but lets see if I cant help out..."
>>699574
>Chanka nods
"It was a big deal when I first joined the White Knights almost 20 years ago, I don't think its related... but I did see bodies like this one before"

| >>699577
"Glitch city has a way of exceeding expectations, although mostly in the bad way"
>Chanka responds, extending her hand to Kitakata, waiting for him to shake her small hand
"Major Chanka, you can call me Chanka for short; I work for the Jinston precinct just a few blocks from here, got a call from a concerned citizen saying they heard a gunshot, plus I was already nearby"

| >>699581

>Kitakata takes the small hand and gives it a firm, but not overbearing, shake.

"I see that... some days it makes me wonder if I should have just been a chef..."

"Good to meet you, Chanka."

| >>699571
>Slowly, Roy edges a foot just over the booth's threshold... and, leaning down slightly, retrieves the receiver, ducking his head inside to bring it to his ear. He doesn't expect anything to happen-- he /shouldn't/-- the call was for her, and the phone's no longer ringing. Would he even know what to dial, to reach somebody on the other end?

"..."

>What was it she heard? Equal parts concern and curiosity drive him to find out.

| >>699579
"I'm flattered. Thank you for the compliment. What you said... I'll consider that. We don't want to make unreasonable correlations. Just gathering information is enough. That said, what about this.. disappearing woman?"

>>699573
> Selena turns to Kitakata, expecting some kind of explanation from him.

| >>699582
>Chanka laughs, her shake is quite firm too
>She turns to the people within CN's group, but also gives the girl currently fondling the pile a nice glare
"Now, first thing i'd like is for you all to come down to the precinct and talk, but I doubt you'd all just agree to that saddly"

| >>699585

"About that- a woman was here earlier and the... 'thing'... had pulled a phone out of the phonebooth and attempted to give it to her. He succeeded- unfortunately- but passed away soon after."

>He looks up at the phone booth, where Roy now stood. >>699584

"Afterward, she suddenly ran toward the phone booth, which seemed to close on her- the civilians and I attempted to open it, but after it had, the woman had disappeared ent-"

>Realization.

"YOU! GET OUT OF THERE!"

| >>699589
"It's fine, even if he wanted to go it's not his choice to decide it."
>CN assures Kitakata.

| >>699584
>The phone beeps twice and someone picks up
>A man's voice
>"Hello, welcome to the travel network. You have one (1) pending travel request from NEW LAND PARK, BURROW, COLORADO"
>"PLEASE ENTER YOUR ID OR PRESS SHARP TO ACCEPT THE TRAVEL REQUEST"

| >>699589
>Chanka seems a bit confused
"It huh, ate her?"
>The Oni shakes her head and gives Roy a look too
"Hey you! please get out of there! who knows what that phone booth might do"
>Not a line she expected to say today

| >>699591
>Roy's eyes grow wide, and his mouth falls open.

>She said she was somewhere near my mother...?

"..."

>Roy hesitates... then inches a little further into the booth, and presses the pound/sharp sign on the keypad. He mumbles something to himself, and shakes his head.

"... I've got to have her take a look at a map of the States."

| "Damn it." >Kitakata says, as he strides over to where Roy has entered further into the booth. He reaches out for the man's collar. >>699593

| >>699593
"If you disappear on us, i'm shoving my foot up your ass."

>Nym presses their face even harder against the side of the booth, seemingly exhausted with everything.

| >>699593
>"Thank you for travelling with us, dont forget to call back for your traveller's reward program. Your ID is: "DONTCALLBACK""
>You feel sick, the world grows static around you and suddenly. The phone drops unto the ground, with no one within the cabin.

| >>699596
"Oh dear..."
>CN sighs
"I hope Aikawa is nearby or Roy is going to be very confused when he pops back up on the other side."

| >>699596
>Nym lifts their face and just kind of... stares inside. They look at CN.

"I don't wanna hear drek anymore about me being the stupid one."

Total number of posts: 250, last modified on: Thu Jan 1 00:00:00 1600790499

This thread is permanently archived