danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
(settings) A nonsuspicious building in Glitz

|
Glitz District, ???

>A district of unending violence, even before the civil war, or the EMP catastrophe. The war is still in full swing, as the horrid smell of burning fills the district, the uproar of artillery and bombs pierce the air every now and then.

>However, that is not the focus for now. Somewhere, a ruined building still stands as a witness of the destruction. As if to cement its existence, it stands alone, rising above the debris of a once-popular city block.

| >Its foundation has been ripped off from the ground, and it threatens to collapse at any moment. Unfortunately, it is a common sight in the battlefield. Except for a slight difference.

>Outside of the building, a small tent is set up next to a small, lit campfire. The column of gray smoke rises to the sky, joining the countless layer of smoke, caused by *much more* violent sparks.

| > A tall man gathers enough pace to appear near the building. Hurrying would be his last descriptor, as he seems to be taking a stride through the district. His cargo jacket carries with it one too many items, amongst the six pockets, only two are unused -- the rest are filled with knick-knacks and items.

> He straightens the pin keeping his hair by the side. Looking around, the district has seen better times.

| >>654292
>The building is as quiet as ever, except for the continuous falling debris whenever the wind passes by. The campfire is still burning, thanks to its self-feeding system. The tent is still there, whoever habits it, if there even is someone inside, they choose to not react.

>Occasionally, screams of battle and terror reaches this place, but they are quickly silenced out by louder sounds of explosions, or gunfire.

| >>654429
> The man's attention settles upon the tent. The relative silence near him has ought to be drowned by more sounds of war. His two hands move from an idling nothing to a position more prepared. One inside a pocket of his trousers, the other left to hang in front of his chest.

> Ignoring the environment cues, he walks closer towards the tent.

| >>654431
>As the man steps closer and closer to the tent, the surrounding becomes more clear. There are unnatural debris forming around the tent, and some nicely organized stacks of purple-black rocks.

>Something exits the tent. It seems to be a... snail of some sort? It's giant... perhaps it's better described as a slug. It's spiky, and wherever it goes, a trail of hot liquid follows. A corrosive red... Its "skin" are infused with "metal" of some kind. Definitely not natural.

| >>654436
"It's you..?"

> The man doesn't act much. The sight of this creature has been conditionally trained onto him.

"Orundum?"

> He doesn't know a name. However, he can just as easily guess between the lines, how strange it would be to find something like this in the wild.

"Where's she then—?"

| >>654438
>Yes. It's an orundum slug. A creature that is usually in the wild, and near volcanic regions, but somehow there is one in Glitch City... in front of your eyes??

>However, it doesn't react to the man's presence at all. It slugs its way to the nicely stacked purple-black rock formation, and starts consuming it. Since it's an orundum slug... it must be obsidian.

| >>654439
> Cute. He didn't think much of the slug. Although confident, he keeps his presence low. Continuing his approach towards the tent, he let the same hand position in. His vision didn't tunnel, but it ignored everything aside from the tent.

> His heart beats a slow, calm rhythm. He takes a good breaths in and out.

| >>654441
>The tent is bigger from the inside than from the outside looking in. On the right, there seems to be a large enough sleeping space, fitted for two people. On the left lies some backpacks, duffel bags etc... that contains food, medicine, and various things that aid with survival, like weapons.

>The smell of sweet perfume fills the tent. The source is... a sleeping girl. Wearing casual shorts and a big T-shirt, she lays there, vulnerable. On her head is one single cat ear.

| >>654447
> The man wipes the worry off of him. The perfume would have been enough indication. He takes a step behind, and rests his body down, right beside the tent. Tapping his chest, he heaves a heavy breath.

"... Guh. Ought to take care, boss."

> He murmurs. If anything has been done by him, it's a daily circling of the district. A perimeter search for no one. He keeps watch outside, making his stare at the orundum slug.

| >>654449
>The orundum slug is eating peacefully... the once-big pile of obsidian rocks is now halfway-empty. However, it stops eating as it senses someone "stalking" it! The temperature increases!

>It lets out a roar, its body shaking violently, and it charges at the man!

| >>654454
"!!"

> The man's eyes widen. He surely hadn't expected a slug to have the alertness of a clairvoyant, and the roar incapacitated his senses momentarily. He gets up, and his legs bend to a make way for a sure dash. Having a raging animal as an enemy is easier, in a sense.

> He mouths 'Crap!' but it came after he made his run. If his biology were any good, slugs usually doesn't move fast.

> However, this biology applies only to slugs barely bigger than his hand.

| >>654456
>As the slug starts charging, its anger is also quickly stopped as someone throws a obsidian rock straight at the slug. It stops its charge and focuses on the rock. The air cools down.

"HEY! CALM DOWN!"

>That voice seems familiar? Right, it belongs to the one sleeping inside the tent after all. Her one cat ear makes her easily recognizable anywhere, a blessing or a curse.

"Come here, big boy~"

>She kneels down and holds her hands out, but the slug ignored her.

| >>654457
"Boss!"

> The man halted his run with a single feet, pivoting himself back to the tent's direction again. Still wary of the slug, his eyes dart between the catboomer and the slug -- two things he thought will never come to mind at the same time.

| >>654458
"oh-"

>The catboomer turns her attention towards the man, and lets out a gasp.

"Wow! W-what are you doing here? I didn't expect you to be here of all places!"

>She then waves at him, a gentle smile forming on her face.

>Meanwhile, the slug just chews on the big obsidian, completely oblivious of its surrounding. Sometimes, it spews out some kind of corrosive acid... best to stay away from it for now.

| >>654460
"I was going to ask you the same thing-- here, catch—"

> He walks to his boss. Definitely avoiding the slug. From his a pocket, he threw a credstick to the air, fully expecting the catboomer to catch it.

"Next time tell me if you're going to sleep alone in a tent like that. You could endanger yourself."

| >>654463
>The credstick lands squarely in her hands, without her even trying to catch it.

"H-huh? What's this for?"

>As the man walks closer, he could observe her details better. She stands unsteadily, and her face is flushed red. Her purple eyes are in a daze. Regardless, she still smiles brightly.

"And don't worry! No one dares to get near it, especially with the presence of *that* slug! I've trained it pretty well to handle intruders! What do you think?"

| >>654466
"What do you mean what's that for? Even if you don't need money to live, that slug needs to eat more than me."

> He sighs. His eyes startle at her state, but he threw his gaze to the slug and its corrosive acid. He can't ask now.

"Okay, so you're replacing my one of my duty with a slug. Efficient, but that hurts my feelings."

> While he tries to blabber a joke, he reaches out for his pocket again. A single phone came out; a phone he immediately threw elsewhere.

"Done—"

| >>654467
"...Jeez, thanks for caring! But I'm good! You should really use this money to like..."

>The catboomer reaches her hands up to the man, and pats him.

"Buy a different phone to replace the one that you threw away? I'm not gonna ask."

>Despite that, her eyes is full of curiosity.

| >>654471
"Oh, don't worry. The institution still hasn't known anyone owned-- er.. employed me. They'll send me another in no time."

> Allowing himself pats, he lowers his body. This is a break he needed. He didn't accept the money again, shrugging off any attempts to return it.

"Besides, you need it more than I do. Where's the old man?"

| >>654475
*sigh* "Okay fine, do whatever you want, but stay safe okay?"

>Alisa tries to return the money, but eventually gives up and just puts it away in her shorts' pocket.

"The old man is gone on another mission. He says he got pretty far in, so he's likely not coming back in a few days. Good news: we're all free from his dad jokes."

>She then takes Rene's hands, and leads him into the tent.

"But most importantly, Rene, you look tired. Let me cook you something real quick."

| >>654478
> He follows her, with his hand giving no resistance. Bewildered at first, but quickly accepting later.

"I-I'm not that tired— you shouldn't force yourself…"

> His voice is weak and pleading. It's not a command nor a request. It's a call for her to rest, herself, and a lead to apology if possible.

| >>654519
>Alisa's not listening. She keeps on leading the man, her breathing getting more and more ragged by the second. By the time both Rene and Alisa makes their way to the camp, Alisa immediately collapses on the mattress. She mutters weakly.

"T-there's a cooked beef stew over there... I was planning to eat it after I wake up, but..."

>She gestures at the pot. But then something churns up in her stomach, interrupting her, and she grabs a plastic bag nearby and vomits into it.

| >>654542
"B-BOSS?!"

> Rene's expression pales, even worse than Alisa. He scatters to quickly find a medicine. Anything that he can recognise off the top of his mind. He goes between bags. He claims to not panic, but his action suggests the opposite.

"What happened?! I knew I shouldn't have left you!"

| >>654545
>The bags contains several medicines, in fact. She really came prepared. Several bottles of painkillers of all kinds, OTC medicines, and bandages.

>She grips her stomach, and lets out a small muffled cry, as if she doesn't want to worry her "friend".

"I-I'm fine. Just a fever... Sorry that you have to see me like this. I'll rest and it'll be good again."

>Alisa lets out yet another smile, that Rene can't see. Then she tries to get up, but her legs fails her.

| >>654546
"When did this fever start? Fuck, I shouldn't have thrown my phone. I could have called someone-- god damn."

> Rene trusted her words, but his worry brew, taking more than his trust and his collected self. He browsed through the medicines to find anything he can use.

"T-this isn't even regular fever, isn't it?"

> His realisation came late.

| >>654552
"A few days after the EMP. I- I don't know to be exact. I mean I almost overdosed on my medicines too... so probably not a normal one? Haha~"

>She lets out a nervous laugh. All kind of drugs have all been used in some form, as she said.

"Don't worry! I'm fine though! I've dealt with worse... and thanks for coming to see how I'm doing..."

>Her voice gets quieter word by word.

"Can you bring me the stew? I'm getting hungry. I'll cook you more later to make up for it~"

| >>654562
"You.. worry me, boss."

> Rene stood up, moving to take the entire pot with relative ease. Placing it next to Alisa, he gave her an earnest look.

"... If it's a burden you're bearing then I need to know. You don't need to say you're fine."

> He hopes to strike any response with what he said. Gently, he places a hand over Alisa's head, patting her.

"I-I'm sorry, that was out of.. place. I really shouldn't have said that—"

| >>654569
"T-thanks. I-I'll be in your care then. I- I think I'm worn out."

>Clearly not used to having someone care for her, she averts her eyes in embarrassment, her face is totally red, not sure from being patted or from being sick.

>Alisa then tries to get up to eat the stew, but of course her body is fully exhausted from the stunt earlier. She then tries to use both of her arms as support, but all the movement leads to her breathing heavily again.

"Uuuuuuu..."

| >>654574
> Rene put a hand on her shoulder. He shakes his head, giving the catboomer a sharp glare.

"Don't."

> Finding a spoon to use, he carefully fishes the content of the stew, seemingly making sure there is enough liquid as opposed to munchy meat.

"--O-open wide—"

> His wording made himself become alarmingly red. He blushes, of course, much the same as Alisa did.

| >>654576
"A- WAIT! I- I can do this just fine- You don't have to! Y-"
>Her mind stops. The air between them heats up as both Alisa and Rene are aware of what they're doing...
"w-why does this keep happening? I- I have no choice!"

>Prepping her courage, she hesitantly opens her mouth, allowing Rene to spoon feed her. She closes her eyes, as if to make herself stay calmer. But the cat ear says otherwise: it wiggles uncontrollably.

>The redness on her cheeks are definitely sweet.

| >>654577
"H-here goes—"

> Rene moves the spoon, targeting it towards Alisa's mouth. He tries not to mind everything, or anything at all, failing consecutively at both. His great effort came with great repercussion, as he too, began to feel the heat more.

"... Sure is warm here.."

> He offhandedly comments.

| >>654587
>Alisa accepts the feeding. She eats the portion without any problem at all. It tastes better than usual... At least there is no spilling accident.

"S-Shut up. It's probably the slug."

>She retorts, perhaps to diffuse some of the awkwardness. The intense blush is now just a sweet one, as she feels some barriers between her and Rene shatters.

"Why and how are you here anyways? No one should be able to find this place."

| >>654595
> Rene continues to stir the stew, taking small servings and presenting it to Alisa. His silence were wrought once from awkwardness, now it's simply his mind running out of words.

"... You really underestimate what R units can do, huh--"

> He smiles putting up another spoonful.

"Here you go—"

| >>654606
"Thanks! You're truly really helpful!"

>Alisa accepts the serving gracefully, gotten used to it, even though something tingles within her the moment she gets fed.

"I- I'm sorry, I didn't mean it like that. Well, you must already knew what lies beneath, right? R units are really powerful, huh..."

>She asks a weird question. A strong breeze shakes up the tent, and the campfire is almost put out. The orundum slug outside moves around aimlessly.

"But they're also cute-"

| >>654608
"H-huh, wh-what did you say—"

> The last of what Alisa said made the spoon quiver in Rene's arm. He definitely heard what she said, but nothing in him wants to confirm their exact meaning. He coughs, trying to dispel the sudden intake of emotions.

"R units are.. just— spies. We gather information. We are the weakest bunch in the institution—"

> He pauses, ending in a sigh as he gives Alisa another spoon.

| "What lies beneath, hm. If.. R386 were still a part of us, she would have told me. It's too bad that review was all she left."

> The gust made him wary, and it has nary reason too.

| >>654610
"..."
>The catboomer eats another serving, saying nothing.

"Oops...? Damnit, I ruined the mood again. Sigh... I'm not good at this stuff, am I?"

>She reaches for Rene's head, and gives him yet another pat.

"But what you said... what do you mean she is no longer with you? Did... something happen?"

| >>654613
> Rene has started to become used to the pats. He welcomes them, almost at times expecting them.

"To begin with, the institution houses us until we are bought. R386 is the first batches of my generation that.. were purchased, in bulk."

> He rest the spoon by the pot, now stirring again.

"--However, I didn't expect to find her here. In this city. She did leave too many trails. That amateur."

| >>654616
"And those traces led to me... I see. I hope she has a good life now. I'm not gonna ask about your "institution" or whatever it is that "bought" you, but... she was truly a human. At least she's not in this cursed city anymore."

>High respect for her, and a bit of sadness. Did something happen? Alisa lies there, focusing on resting.

"I'll make my way out soon. I didn't expect to come down with a fever at a time like this... You're more of a caretaker than a spy now!"

| >>654620
"That's because the one who owns me told me to not do anything in my skill~"

> He chuckles. His quiet laughter were approaching satisfaction, a change in the atmosphere that he can feel in his chest now; different from the tension before, which he was caught by surprise.

"Don't make too much haste, boss. After all-- no matter what you were before, I need you the most."

> He is unaware of his phrasing.

| >>654628
"...!"
>Alisa feels the heat rush to her face once more, this time, however, it's a more of a pink one, instead of intense red.

"S-shut up. I-"

>She grabs his hands, and using all of her strength, she pulls him in for a hug. It's an exhausting action in her current state, but for some reason, she doesn't feel tired at all.

"I- The truth is... I'm scared. But... I do need you the most too! You're an important person in my life!"

>Her cat ear flutters gently. Phrasing...

| >>654677
> Rene offers no resistance from the pull. He is immediately taken to his boss' wish, with no complaints siding from him.

"I-I.."

> He didn't see Alisa as the type to randomly hug, though, perhaps; perhaps a comfort is what someone may need when feeling unwell. He doesn't know.

"... I'm happy you felt that way, boss. There isn't— there isn't anything better for a unit like me-"

> He felt the moments transpire. Closing his eyes, he let time pass.

| >>654694
"Shh... Don't ruin it. There's always something better. You're not just a tool, or a unit."

>Alisa whispers gently. Her body presses against Rene. Perhaps it's not time yet. She caresses his back, enjoying his warmth for just a time being. She doesn't say anything either. After a while, she lets go of Rene.

"Thanks... I feel better now. A hug is what I needed. But we shouldn't have... contact for too long. My fever might spread."

>She averts her gaze, blushing.

| >>654697
> Rene easily scoffs at the sentence, leaving the blush unnoticed.

"Despite how I was, I'm resilient to common illness, you know-"

> He moves the mood, longing not for another embrace, but a simple passing conversation.

"—They say it's because idiots don't get sick. If correlation goes anywhere then…"

> After enough chuckling at his own joke, he puts a hand at the forehead of Alisa, partly due to his worry of her fever.

"I'm troubled.. even if you are feeling better—"

| >>654699
>Her forehead is... hot. It's an alarming fever, at least from observation. She also looks weak and tired still.

"I can confirm that the statement is false. I'm an idiot, and look at me. I guess you're another idiot, in a different way."

>She reaches up to caress his cheek... She looks fragile for a moment, but then she lets out a giggle.

"You seemed fine tho! How about you rest for some time, instead of worrying over me? I'm doing just fine you know."

| >>654700
"... And leave you sick like this? What a failure I must be if I do that."

> Rene rejects the notion. As much as that's a comfort from Alisa, he chose not to hear her from her body heat alone. He withdraws his hand, sighing.

"You can't.. expect me to go anywhere when- you're like this."

| >>654706
"You're never a failure. Don't think of yourself like that. And there's plenty of stuff that I have to do anyways... curse this fever."

>She lets out a yawn.

"Uuuuu... I- I'm getting sleepy though. I'm... gonna sleep again. You can do whatever you want though. Anything else to say before I temporarily die?"

>She winks.

"Or do you wanna rest with me? Just kidding~"

| >>654725
"Sweet dreams? I'm not exactly sure what to say."

> Rene gave a hearty chuckle again. Understanding her circumstances, he gave his boss a final headpat, then stood up.

"That makes us even."

> He smiles, now stepping away from her.

"A-ah.. I guess— godspeed. On the.. recovery. I'll fix my lack of greetings later—"

| >>654730
"Good night~! I'm sorry too. I need to greet you better... And I have so much to do too...anything but this..."

>Perhaps out of energy, Alisa fell asleep quickly in seconds. The tent is now quiet again, yet her smell and feelings still lingers in the air. What to do...

>Tend the camp: Maintain the tent, and find out her reasons for being here.

>Investigate the building: "What lies below"?? What does that mean?

>Tend to the slug! Keep it under control!

>Touch her.

| >>654740
"I should.. really not think lewd."

> He steps outside. This time clearly minding the slug, not wanting to experience twice the discomfort of running away and waking up his boss.

> Not wanting to stray far from the tent, Rene kicks a few debris to the fireplace. The tent is now in need for his maintenance. He looks for anything to fix, or anything Alisa may have forgotten to tend to.

| >>654745
>Fortunately, the slug is somewhere out of sight. It seems to be wandering away from sight, perhaps looking for food??

>There are several pieces of fallen building surrounding the campfire, making movement difficult. The campfire itself is almost out, perhaps a good thing if one doesn't want attention.

>The inside of the tent is also quite messy. Supplies are organized haphazardly, her notes are scattered on the floor, and the weapons are dangerously kept unsafe.

| >The other side of the tent is doing... worse. There are several holes in it... bullet holes? yet they pose no problem. Speaking of holes...

>There are several holes dug around the tent. Inside are several defunct security systems: landmine, turret. They are barely visible... did someone do this?

>Some weird noise echos around the site... almost static-like. And of course, the night wind breezes by, making even more debris fall down from the already-shaky building.

| >>654750
> With some in mind, Rene began tackling the easiest. The fireplace needs to go, for better or worse. He dampens its radiating heat by covering it with the nearby debris.

> The noise is what caught him immediately. He let his ears guide him, ignoring the presence of the breeze, focusing only on the static noise (20+4).

| >>654789
>The campfire is snuffed out, and darkness returns to the place. The only thing that illuminates the place is the moon, and occasional flash of explosives in the distance... It's going to be harder to detect objects in this environment.

> (24 vs 16) The source is immediately detected: another human-like figure, shrouded in shadow?? The noise makes it hard to focus.

>As if knowing it's been discovered, the static-like noise stops, and it tries to "flee" the site. (12)

| >>654799
> Rene takes out a portable flashlight, shaking it vigorously before having its light flood the area. The figure is most definitely an attraction, however, he dares not move from the site. He takes a single rock and launches it towards the figure (17-1).

> His eyes try to make use of their ability; mostly instincts take over, leaving him stranded with a bare light.

| >>654800
>(12 vs 16) The rock hits the figure, but harmlessly bounces off. So it's tangible after all.

>Thanks to the light, the figure seems to know that Rene's unarmed... it should be easy. The figure turns around and stops fleeing. Instead, something long appears in their hands? The always-familiar metallic cylinder reflects the light from Rene's flashlight. A gun barrel. It is pointing at Rene. (15)

>Witnesses mustn't be allowed to exist.

| >>654802
> The situation is less than advantageous. Rene's expression flatten to a dead stare. He sighs, focusing the light better at the man. He has a plan, or so he thinks.

> He kept quiet, his voice unheard and his body exposing little of him.

> He stood there, with the light still. Not one muscle twitching nor moving, not even his face.

| >>654803
>The figure stays still. Its "ghostly" features are illuminated better. It is as tall as Rene... at least from the distance. It is feminine. But most importantly, its grasp on the trigger is absolute.

>No matter what plan the witness may have, if he can't execute it, it's all going to be useless in the end. Just like the "war". A push on the trigger, and the a syringe of some sort flies towards Rene. (5+5 aim bonus)

| >>654804
> The projectile was an easy guess. The difficult execution comes from the avoiding the shot, he does his best evasive manoeuvre, side-stepping the shot and keeping his extremities to a minimum exposure (15-1). His eyes widen, adrenaline rushes forth.

> His plan was never to run, it seems.

| >(10 vs 14) The "syringe" misses by mere inch, and it shatters on the ground behind Rene, its content evaporating in thin air. The assailant merely reaches for another shot, loads it into "her" syringe gun, and of course, aims again, this time with more focus. (13)

>Of course, if the witness is willing to rush to his own death, it makes it easier.

| >>654806
(16+1 perception due to target action's visibility -- or just 15 if that's not allowed.)

> Rene moves his first few steps. His attention narrows towards the target, with no killing intent visible, he flashes his flashlight in a strobe.

> He doesn't seem to pose any will to attack, but this is less clear as he too, has a hand by his pocket.

| >>654809
>(17 or 15 vs 2 doesn't matter asgfashghdsf) The figure seems to be disoriented by the flashlight... and is *stunned* momentarily. It completely stopped "her" from aiming right. By this time, it's more evident: despite many opportunity to just end Rene right there, it allowed itself to be disadvantaged, its choice or not.

>The light also seems to melt away any mysterious factor about the figure. The assailant is a masked woman. She's wearing a "uniform" of some sort.

| >>654816
(7+1. Ow.)

> Rene stops in his track, almost falling over as he slows. From his hand, he unsheathes a switchblade. It's not a gun, yet he still need more grounds to cover to effectively use a few inches of sharp knife.

> He keeps the switchblade low, not yet drawn. The light doesn't strobe, but has now allowed him to simply let it flash in front of the woman.

> He is in no position to ask questions, still.

| >>654818
>(8 vs 15) The woman manages to recovers quickly from the flashlight stun. And of course, she gets used to the change in brightness as Rene shines the flashlight on her. Luckily, as she's wearing a mask, her identity is safe for the time being.

>As Rene covers his distance with a plan, the woman doesn't have enough time to distance herself. However, the range for the syringe is now more lenient... She aims at the general direction of Rene, and shoots the syringe. (13+3-1)

| >>654820
(2+1)
> The syringe struck him straight, catching his chest squarely, piercing his jacket. He was taken aback, shortly stopped, but his reflexes had taken over, giving him chance to time a throw towards the woman's leg (19)

> He hunches over from the syringe. A last hurrah and a battle continuation. He has no more saves to be done.

| >>654822
>The syringe's effect is quickly felt. It must be a paralyzing agent of some sort...? (10)

>The knife landed squarely in the woman's leg... it went in quite deep. The woman speechlessly checks her wound... but shrugs it off. Blood spills out over the ground at where she's standing. She moves closer to Rene to finish him off...

>But she can't. She also hunches over in pain. It seems like she was not at her full battle capacity before being discovered.

| >>654829
(2-2, because why not.)
> Rene mouths a word, 'RUN', and his body starts to lose their control, falling. His eyes resist the effect of the paralysis (16), and he keeps them tracked onto the woman, doing his best at this static discovery.

> The syringe pierces an old wound.

| >>654830
(bad roll 3. smh)
>The syringe, after injecting all of its content, falls off. It seems like it's just what it is: a simple, temporary shock injection. As quickly as it came, it went away.

>The woman simply stays there... however, something unexpected happened! Another roar, and the orundum slug, from nowhere, charges at the wounded woman! (2482483) It seems like it has gone restless because no one has tended to it, and it's hungry, and attracted to the heat of battle...

| >>654832
(17)
> Upon the return of his motor function, Rene picks up pace and dash for the wounded woman. He picks her up, quickly making a run as his body startles with the sudden boost of energy.

> He carries the woman to a bridal carry, hoping to soon gain better momentum against a giant volcanic slug.

| >>654842
>The woman, is of course, knocked out from the sudden charge. Did you see the dice roll? Did she die? Not sure, no time to check as the slug rushes after Rene. She is surprisingly light.

>The slug is well-trained, or is it too much?... it rushes after the threat, intending to extinguish her, once and for all. It lets out yet another roar, louder than the previous one. (15 vs 17)

>The slug is keeping pace with Rene, but it doesn't manage to catch up, nor falling behind.

| >>654846
> Rene knows two things about this slug: it likes obsidian and obsidian tames it. Whatever Alisa has done to award this slug that many obsidian, he gave a mental applause upon.

> His eyes scroll to search for any obsidian. Mostly failing as he has to keep up with the slug's surprisingly agile movement.

> He curses silently under his breath. (5)

| >>654850
>Well... she probably went to hell back to back to get those. However, as you look for the nearby deposit of obsidian, the darkness of the night makes it harder, as you put out the campfire earlier. On the contrary, the slug is getting faster, and faster- (14)

>...In another direction. A familiar squeak is heard, as the slug pushes someone to the ground.

"Jeez! You're that hungry?? Here... Have some. Don't worry... everything is a-okay! What? There's someone else?"

| >>654859
> For the second time. Rene is saved by someone for a second time.

> He stops his run again. This does feel one bit too familiar -- something transpiring not too long ago.

> He heaves a breath, not yet releasing a voice. While making his way to back to the tent, he checks upon the wound he inflicted upon the woman. He himself not aware of the force he applied for the throw.

| >>654890
>The knife went in squarely in her leg. It seems to have penetrated all the way to the hilt... Luckily(?) it didn't went through any fatal places.

>A voice calls out from the distance, as the volcanic slug seems to follow you back, calmer than before. A person seems to be laying on it.

"Hey. Do you mind explain what is going on?"

>Of course, it's his boss's voice.

| >>654953
"Hey.. guess trouble just hightails me sometimes."

> Rene gestures towards the wounded woman, still carrying her. He is most definitely still in high alert towards the slug, too.

"I blame her for distracting me at work. And for.. almost killing me."

| >>654965
"It's okay. And... don't worry about slug-kun. I pacified him somewhat... with my body. It also likes my hug, as well as obsidian. But sadly he loves obsidian way more than hugs."

>The one-eared catgirl gets off the slug, and she collapses face-flat into the ground. Seems like she has pushed herself way past her limits this time.

| >>654968
"Boss!"

> Rene reaction to his boss falling is more immediate than ever. Before she lands, he had tried to come and take her hands — it's unfortunate that gravity is faster than his footwork.

"Goddamn. Okay—"

> He adjusts his carry at first, putting down the woman and then lifting his boss in a motion back to Slug-kun.

"Okay, at least he's better than the ground— one second, I'll tend to you!"

> He then carries the woman again, now making a run for the tent.

| >>654977
>The slug takes Alisa on his... slimy... spiky back... rather easily. It follows Rene back to the tent.

>Back at the tent, nothing really changed. Slug-kun enters the tent first, and "puts" Alisa down on the mattress where she slept earlier, rather roughly. Then it exists the tent.

>Both the woman and Alisa are now knocked out, unresponsive. What's worse than taking care of one person? Taking care of two! And one that really tried to kill Rene too.

| >>654985
> After putting the woman down, Rene did what he does best: he scans the tent. The disorganised, messy tent was one more target to fix. He began shuffling through the items inside, categorising them neatly, whilst pocketing any notes Alisa made.

> He also packs most items to a container — the bags being the prime candidate. Weapons are tucked safely, but they are still visible by a glaring sight.

> Quietly, he sighs.

"Phew.."

| >>655129
>Things calmed down a little bit. With both of them sleeping, or dying. Your hard work shows! In a moment, the camp looks more spacy, and less dirty than before. Medicines and bottles are tucked away neatly, trash on the floor are put to their proper places! However, the work is not done yet! It's also quite dusty in here.

>Some notes are of interests to you... maybe. Several pages of "memories" and "vacation" pops up, however nothing much is known from a just a glance.

| >>655145
> Keeping the notes safe for now, he proceeds to check at the woman's wound again. A quick paralysis is what he did, though, he grimaced at how deep the wound had went — he put off the thought of surgery, or at least, with his own hands.

"..."

> He searches for a simple and unused cloth, though, he is already on the process of unzipping his jacket. His grey, unassuming shirt is ready to be torn with how thin of a material it is made out of.

| >>655157
>...

>Something's wrong. There's... no blood flowing out of the wound anymore? The woman is surely knocked out, but the knife... surely it went in deeper? But currently, it doesn't seem a serious wound, not anymore. Upon closer look, it seems like her... tissues are moving to close up the wound?

>Regardless, there are some clothes and wrapping bandages in the bag that you organized for Alisa earlier, so no need to rip off the shirt... maybe? It's really cold though.

| >>655163
> Rene may have stayed quiet. His discovery surely is surprising. His deadpan face forms the least obvious representation of "What fresh hell is this?"

> Regardless, he treats the wound by wrapping the clothes to the nearby area. The pressure he applied weren't measured, simply known by instincts alone, which made him doubt his own doing.

> Finally, he appraise the woman. The uniform. The mask. With no tact, he takes off the mask first.

| >>655165
>The treatment should be done... for now? It's really hard to tell whether it is really effective. Regardless, the wound seems to be stable. A job well-done.

>However, as Rene tries to take off the mask, the woman's hand suddenly moves and grabs his hand! (14) It seems like she is either faking her unconsciousness, or this is a pure muscle memory, but two things are clear: she doesn't want her identity to be revealed, and the grasp on Rene's hand is strong. Very. Strong.

| >>655168
> It's not the first time Rene had someone feign unconsciousness, or weakness. Far from it. He expected the woman's grip (15), but the force applied to his arm lasts an impression (6). He holds his wince, forcing a way out of the hold (19).

> His curiosity and sense of duty stands, however. There is more to a person than a face, he scans thoroughly for any identifying attribute from the woman's uniform.

| >>655170
>The uniform is a mix between black and white. Not too much contrast, in fact, the color blends together perfectly. It has a nice aesthet- No time for that!

>There doesn't seem to be any visible identifier on her. Attached to her belt is a bandoleer of sort, where she holds her syringes, and a small radio-like device?

>The woman, after protecting her face, gets up slowly in a robotic motion, her leg still immobilized. She reaches for a needle! (7)

| >>655174
> Rene, as tactful as he is, didn't expect the woman to stand up and immediately take a needle. He tries to stop her, but only ends up stumbling (3) and falling behind -- he is on his back, all due to his volition.

| >>655177
>Now getting Rene off her back, she moves in- but something stops her, once more. The voice of a murmuring catgirl. For some reason, her aura changed. From a cold killer to a... more expressive killer. So much more, that she rushes Rene, despite her wound. (15-3) She doesn't even try to use her syringes, instead, coming in for a CQC beatdown.

>A modulated voice comes out behind the mask.

"This unit doesn't compute. Why are you with her? Are you with them? You must end."

| >>655182
> Rene delivered a stable low kick, swiping the woman (20), standing back up for a recovery. He hadn't answered the questions. He didn't need to. He glared at the woman without any intent to kill. His will is locked, a sane expression made by him is only one following goals and one without desires.

> However, it is not as though he is letting her by.

| >>655183
>The woman falls to the ground (19), but quickly rolls to get some distance from him. She is still kneeling, her legs still not healing fully.

>However, as she is now aware of the sleeping catboomer... she intends to take this opportunity. She tries to get closer to Alisa, who is "sleeping". (13) No doubts things will turn sour if the enemy manages to get a hold on her.

| >>655184
> The action held obvious in front of Rene. After all, what's the use of an exposed VIP if not for decoy? Already predicting this, Rene launches himself in the direction of the woman (18), delivering a kick.

> He made his action as loud as possible, but his voice hadn't yet said aloud any word.

| >>655186
>The assailant have only a second to react to the kick, yet that is not enough. She tries to block it, but still gets hit, and it sends her back... not far enough. (16) Regardless, that caused a mess in the tent again. Stuff fell down haphazardly, causing a chain reaction of noise.

>The VIP's eyes are opened. Her purple eyes look around, at Rene and the masked intruder in annoyance, as if she's been interrupted... for the third time. Alisa stays still, for now.

| >>655188
> He made distance. His goal was clear from the beginning. Now, it's even clearer: push her away from the tent. He keeps on guard, watching her as close as possible. Rene's mind is as empty as it gets, and his vision tunnels that even more.

"..."

> Despite this, he hasn't yet breathed the fight or flight.

| >>655203
>As the fight is getting in Rene's favor again, the woman have no choice but to increases her distance, and tries to get out of the tent! (10)

>Alisa gets up quickly. She grabs a nearby weapon and points it at the enemy (8)

"Y-you're... one of them! Still never learned after the old man kicked you to hell and back, huh?"

| >>655352
> Rene stared back at his boss with a stern gaze. His weren't anger, but cautionary; with his plan succeeding, yet failing at the same time, he chose to stay with his boss, letting the attacker to have a distance.

> He turns his attention back, snapping a look to the woman.

> He needs a weapon to attack, but he doesn't think any wiser with one.

| >>655427
>Alisa doesn't really pay attention to Rene, but she nods. She keeps pointing her weapon at the assailant, keeping her in sight. However, she doesn't look well, with her sickness. She loses focus momentarily, and her balance is lost for a second.

>In that moment of weakness, the woman charges at Alisa, pushing her to the ground. The pistol is knocked out of her hands, and it lands near Rene's feet. Another modulated voice comes out, coupled with static.

"Come back."

| >>655439
> He picks up the pistol. It was obvious whom it was for. He checks for the remaining ammo, if available, aims and unloads a single shot in the general direction of the woman's lower spinal cord (13).

> Training his aim, he keeps a still posture. His glare sparks no vigour.

| (Ugh. Feel free to change the target to the undamaged leg if the woman is facing Rene directly.)

| >>655619
>The shots land exactly where he wants to, partly due to the close distance, and Alisa's strength. (5) The enemy flinches, and she falls down. However, that doesn't mean that the fight is over.

>The masked woman still tries to struggle against Alisa, (10-3), but the catboomer managed to get up, and pulled the enemy in a choke-hold. (19-3) Her red eyes hold no mercy. If there's anything worse than an EMP blast, it has to be disrupting her peace, and her companion.

| >A sweet smell of flowers, alarmingly alien in this environment, spreads through the air. It rapidly becomes chockingly sweet.

| >>655905
> Rene does another aim, trying to nail another strike. He hasn't completely grasped the amount of ammo he has, nor whether he can aim, and it seems that—

>>655988
> He is far too late for that. The smell permeates him. Knowing history, he wafts away the smell — doing his best to determine what floral poison would linger, as it seems to be his best guess.

> He is left to aim with a single hand, unsteady with breaths often on hold.

| >>656044
>Luckily, the woman also stops struggling... probably because of her hold, or perhaps the weird smell. The catboomer releases her hold, and she stops Rene, apparently aware of what's going on too. It seems like you will never know how many rounds the gun can hold...

"Hey! I'm behind her! What if the bullet goes through her and into me?"

>Alisa notices the smell too.

"There's a gas mask on the back. Go put it on just in case. There's only one though. Hurry up."

| >>656044 >>656061
>The smell only grows stronger by the second, and soon enough from behind and sides of the building remains comes a low hanging thick cloud. It clings to the floor, barely the height of a person, consisting of what appears to be bright, yellow dust.

| >>656061
"This is a pistol, not a—"

> Rene coughs. He wheezes, and comes down another cough. He has determined through sheer pain what this suffocating scent is; even if it is one of nature, it isn't a very welcoming one.

"—Take the mask! I'll be okay!"

> He made another deep cough.

>>656063
> His eyes glare and squint at the cloud, trying to make any sense of its appearance.

| >>656064
>It's a Schrödinger's gun! You don't know what kind of pistol it is unless it reveals itself!... it doesn't seem the ammo are running out anytime soon, if one gets into a firefight now.

"No! Are you crazy?"

>She lets go of the masked one, and runs to the back and grabs the gas mask. The number "100" is on it. She then runs up to Rene in urgency.

"Here... wear this. I'm fine for now. Our position have been compromised. Not much protection but it should suffice for now."

| >>656067
"Do I look crazy—.. boss?! Wear this yourself! I'll be fine!!"

> Rene insists on this form of justice. He keeps a tab of several objects and interest; the masked woman, this clot of something, and his boss. The equal separation in mental task forces him to back down, as he inhales more of the pollution.

| >>656069
"Sorry, you're not crazy. You're panicked. Very."
>Despite everything that's going on, the catboomer hugs him once more. She's on the verge of collapsing. Her breath is rapid and shallow... she must have inhaled more of whatever it is, in addition to her sickness worsening.

"Calm down... one step at a time, okay?"

>She withdraws her hug, and so does her warmth. The gas mask is put on Rene's face... since when?

"Now one factor is removed for you! We need to be quick."

| >>656070
> Rene calms himself. More of Alisa's embrace had helped him. This time, there are more thoughts than he can handle, but he focuses on one.

> He carries his boss. The mask had given him chance to sway his shortness of breath; with less of it, he rushes to take a supply bag, and began to make a rush out from the tent — hoping to see the outer rims of the pollution's influence.

| >The cloud just keeps moving, in a straight line through and around the building remains, roughly twenty meters wide. The smell is almost nauseating, hanging heavy in the air. A small, short shadow is barely visible through it, moving — not towards the camp, surprisingly, but simply past it.

| >>656073
"Eeeeh???? Waittt!"

>Alisa lets out a yelp as she is being carried by Rene outside of the tent. She's light (?)

"*sigh* I was going to tell you to be cautious... but I'm pretty sure you know that already-"

>>656075
>Alisa's red eyes spot the figure...?

"Rene, watch out. Someone is moving inside the smoke cloud. It's getting dense and stuff in here. I didn't think I was capable of... things like this."

>She takes a breathe, and she closes her eyes. Another headache.

| >>656077
> With his two hands busy, carrying Alisa and taking the bag with him, he has no more arms to use. All he focuses now is to run as far as possible — keeping his boss alive is his primary goal.

"I see a line. How far do I need to run?"

> His speed wasn't the fastest, nor is he anywhere being someone that can dash without taking a breath. It's enough. Simply is, and his footsteps races.

| >The cloud of yellow dust doesn't stop. Nor does it speed up. Nor does it slow down. It, and subsequently the shadow inside it, simply continues moving at a slow walk pace, in a straight line, the center of the cloud likely to pass the camp just by it's very outskirt.

| >>656080
"I... Just keep the pace for now. We can run away from it, or follow it to investigate if you want..."

>Alisa then mumbles quietly.

"A-and put me down... I can take care of myself... you need to actually defend yourself and stuff. How about I take care of the bag? That'll free you up for the weapon at least."

>Despite saying that, she is extremely out-of-shape. If not for the stew earlier, she wouldn't even have woken up.

"That woman... and this mysterious smoke..."

| >>656086
"I'd love to risk lives, but not with you! And I am DEFINITELY not putting you down!"

> Rene kept going, knowing the cloud will soon come and go, without him doing anything. He stops to see the perimeter, hoping that the cloud has reduced by the distance he is in.

> He takes a breath. No, several breaths. The gas mask makes it difficult to tell his gasps.

"I would say it's the institution hunting me for unlawful contract.. but they would never send an Assassin unit—"

| >>656419
"P-put me down! I swear I can walk fine by myself! Jeez- And you're getting tired too."

>Alisa lets out a few heavy cough, then continues.

"We should be safe if we get a little bit farther. This smoke is heavy, so it doesn't seem like it's going to move faster. And we're going to talk seriously about your institution later. I can't ignore it anymore, considering it's... tried to kill us."

>She takes the bag and holds it, so Rene can have less direct weight on him.

| >>656422
> Although Rene tried to stop Alisa, he let her handle the bag, freeing a semblance of his arm.

> He shook his head to all of his boss' request, no matter how convincing.

"This is violating an order, but I'm going to think for myself for now—"

> There is an invisible smile behind the mask, unseen and concealed even by his heavy breaths.

"I guess the institution wants me terminated, guh..."

| >The smoke cloud keeps moving past the camp, its epicenter on the edge of it now- when it stops. Or, rather, the shadow inside stops, while the cloud keeps on moving, carried by the slow wind.
>The shadow inside, however, begins to move straight into the camp - towards the downed masked woman, at the same pace as before. It is still covered by a cloud of the similar smoke, but it is significantly smaller and less dense now, barely the size of a person.

| >Fluorescent blue and yellow lights now can be barely seen from inside of it.

| >>656432
"Okay. I'll trust your judgement this time. Thanks. I guess I'll have to protect you from assassins now~"

>Alisa looks around, focusing on the situation ahead.

"Do you think it's a wise choice to leave the camp... and the enemy inside?"

>>656437
>The downed woman doesn't respond. The camp is in a disorganized state, due to the fighting that happened before.

| >>656449
"No.. as much as I want it. If she is an Assassin unit then she will have done us dead with a backup. Maybe this cloud is one of them?"

> Rene sees the happening inside. Slowly, he approaches the tent again, while signalling Alisa to stay alerted.

"A-units always have a special knack for... killing their targets, if you get me? It's in their name. I just-- want to paralyse them. I need intels."

| >The shadow is now right above the woman, or where the woman would be if it weren't for the smaller smoke cloud. It is difficult to discern its exact height, but it is unlikely to be taller than 4 ft.
>The shadow seems to squat down next to where the outline of the woman is barely visible. It doesn't seem to do anything yet, and no speech is heard.

| >>656456
"I see. I- don't think it was an assassin unit... She seemed weak, and I got her kinda? I don't know. That's a really bad assassin if you ask me."

>She then suddenly stays quiet.. and she observes the shadow closely.

"What do we do? They don't seem to do anything...yet?"

| >>656459
"I suspect the same. Is she just an R unit?"

> Rene keeps his assumption aside, casting interest upon the shadow instead.

"... An R unit wouldn't be able to generate toxins for others though..."

| >>656469

"Don't know. There's a lot of organizations in Glitch City- they might not be even related to your "institution". Regardless, here."

>Alisa hands Rene the cursed gun. She takes another pistol out of the bag too as well, and arms herself. She suppresses her headache, and her sickness for now.

"Is it interested in the woman that we just beat up?... Should we talk to them? Or do we come in and blast them."

| >Meanwhile the large smoke cloud has all but dissipated as the wind grows stronger, the smaller one around the shadow slowly growing thinner. This, in turn, makes the golden and cyan fluorescent glow from within it stronger, more defined. Something glowing cyan extends from it, reaching for the downed woman's neck, and making contact.

| >>656476
"Hmh. You are asking the espionage agent what to do? I didn't kill the woman for a reason."

> Rene bit his lip. Even if his logic goes, should it apply here, they will have no way of defending themselves.

"Guns don't work against clouds and I suspect you can't reason with a sentient smoke either."

> Taking the gun given by Alisa, he held it steady. He walks even closer to the tent.

"Can you aim?"

| >>656477
>The woman suddenly grasps... whatever it is that is trying to hold her neck! It seems like she doesn't like it. She lets out a primal roar as she attempts to... fight the thing? She makes a robotic moment, her joints cracking as she moves. She tries to deliver a punch the central mass of the thing, fully instinctual and no consciousness involved.

>>656482
"...Yes. I-I'm fine. You're the expert here, I'll follow-"

>She seems woozy, but-

"D-did you hear that?"

| >>656485
> He slowly nods.

"We don't know what the cloud is.. it will be best if we watch — but we don't have the luxury of time."

> However, Rene knew full well he is not in the condition to fight. Neither is Alisa.

"I'll assign the woman as VIP. Just this once. Shooting at something gaseous will only lower our chance of taking her away."

> He assumes a lot, for a first encounter.

| >>656485
>The punch lands, strong as it is, onto something... soft, and smooth. The material gives in, like a resin, and a sound of air being exhaled is heard — but no yelp, no beep, no other sound indicating that the punch dealt any damage.
>But then a change comes, in the woman's body itself. From where her skin touches the material, and throughout her neck, something worms inside her body, expands within her flesh, crawls underneath her skin.

| >Hundreds of tiny tendrils spread out throughout the woman, alien, horrifying feeling for someone still conscious... But no pain follows. The *things* spread, grow into and throughout, and the fight leaves the masked woman's body, drained by them. The further they spread, the stronger is a feeling of... tranquility... warmth.... calm...
>Something is changing the body, melding it anew, turning it into something else — but it just feels so

>natural...

| >>656490
>The woman drives her punch deeper into the... thing. She then retracts it, her hands covered by... whatever it is. With a swift motion, her fingers fall off, and in its place, a sharp knife, contaminated by the alien material. The woman gives no response, as she cuts into it, like a machine. Is it a parasite? The woman doesn't know. It doesn't need to know. As if she was conscious in the first place. However, what she knows is that whatever it is, it is very dangerous.

| >The mask falls off. The smooth face of an emotionless young woman, contaminated with tendrils. The horrifying combination of flesh and machinery. Her eyes open, deep scanning the "thing" in front of her.

"Contamination detected in organic materials. Sending fragment for caution. Unit life ETA 10 minutes."

>What is emotion to a machine? There was no fight in the woman in the beginning. Her flesh have decayed, but most of her is composed of machine. Feelings are not needed.

| >>656489
>As Alisa watches the fight, she feels a compulsion to vomit rushing to her, and she quickly covers her mouth.

"W-what is that... This..."

>She drops her pistol, speechless by the thing, and its action...!

"R-rene...! W-we need to get away. Now. If any of it touches us... it's over. Guns can't hurt it!"

>Alisa's voice trembles. Her body prepares for a fight-or-flight respond.

| >>656509
"Lower your gun, boss-"

> Rene's grasp became tighter on Alisa. This abomination was a sure first for him. He wouldn't dare guess anymore. The two twisted beings in front of him were alien.

"—I'll.. get us out."

> His voice was no different; the voice is trembling, but not for the sight given.

| >>656507 >>656508
>Punch lands and drives deeper in, for not much result. The knife fares better, cutting the... material easily, but nothing changes. Tendrils keep spreading throughout the woman's body, and soon enough, encounter the machine... and grow right through it. Like a flower under concrete, they keep on going, expanding into and breaking the machine, separating it from the flesh, pushing it out of the body and taking its place.

| >Like nature reclaims the land in abandoned human settlements, the... thing reclaimed the body of the woman. Purifying it of the machine, replacing its functions. Much like the woman it was invading, there was no thought behind it. Just the force of life, infinite in its forms.

| >>656518
>Alisa's not listening. In addition, she's in a hysteria. She wildly struggles even harder, out of Rene's grasp. She falls to the ground.

>She vomits, and clutches her head tightly.

"i̧͉ͪ͋̓ͪͭͣt̶͋ͯ̉͐ ̯̖̙̑͑h͕͉̣̲͕̣̅ͦ͒̃ͬ̉ͭu̼r͍͓͑̎̓t̞̯̦̖͉̙̼ͤͯͣ̅s̷͎͈̝̤̭͒ͪ͒̋́ͤ ͎ͮ͒͐͞ị̶̩͍͇̻͍̏̾͛͗ͪͥt̓̔̊̎h̬̏̍ͪu̷̪̱̬r̡͉̱͐̑t̤̰̩̲̫̗͖̓s̻̼̜̦̜̻͠i̴̱̭̭̘̅ͤ̍ͮt̴̻̆̆͑h͖̜ͨ͑͂͝ṵ̵̒r͚͎̰̪̊͝t̄ͪ͆̔̈́ͯ̓s̱͙̹͙̺̿͛̾̍͆ͪ͞"

>Her eyes rapidly change from red to purple, and vice versa.

| >A sudden blow of wind, coupled with a particularly loud explosion sound coming from further inside the district moments later, penetrates the smoke, driving enough of it away to make the scene visible for all to see.

| >>656525
>A short figure of a... girl squatting in front of the lying cyborg, 4 feet tall at most. Cyan... skin, glowing with fluorescent light. A waterfall of large, almost hand palm sized golden leaves, filled with the same, albeit yellow, fluorescent light. A large amber orchid parting through the growth on the left side of the creature's 'head'...
>And dozens of tiny vines, adorned with small red flowers, coating her limbs... and going straight underneath the cyborg's skin.

| >Tiny streams of sap trickle down the cuts on the bark of the creature, a fact it seems entirely unoncerned with. From beneath the golden growth a glimpse of clothing can be caught — a simple t-shirt and a skirt, somewhat tattered.

| >The wind calms down, and the pollen begins to form the cloud again, starting to quickly cover the sight.

| >>656524
> Rene pulls Alisa out, using force when need be. He shouts her name, but nothing makes sense in this situation. His voice falters to the sight of the new appearance.

> His eyes forcibly scan the humanoid plant. A new, rare existence perhaps? He doesn't care. He forges path for an escape, a quick grab on his boss again.

> His mind clears way for a plan, as he struggles to continue thinking.

| >>656522
>In the last moments, the woman motionlessly lets out a barely-human voice.

"Fragment have been sent through the matrix network. Current recommended action: destruction."

>Her flesh lights up, and so is the machine parts that are being pushed back. The smell of gunpowder. The last ditch effort: self-destruction via embedded explosives, if anything is left. (15-3)

>>656532
>Alisa doesn't struggle. She goes limp, letting Rene take charge... However, she also sees it.

| >>656535
> Rene is quick to act. Hearing the woman's last words were a signal loud to interpret for him. Saying anything aloud is pointless now.

> He grabbed Alisa again, carrying to the same position. He does so for the bag she carried too, leaving just the gun behind -- aside from his.

"...!"

> His intuition clocks in. Out of the tent he sprints. While sight allows, his legs carried him out.

| >>656535
>The vines just keep going, crushing and expunging the last of the machine bits. The creature makes no movement, oblivious to the woman's words.
>Tendrils finish spreading out throughout the body, head to toe, replacing the machine, growing, albeit alien, new organs within, spreading into the brain, filling up the wounds with their mass. A big bud begins to form itself on the side of the woman's head.

| >Hostility was as alien to the creature, as the creature was to everyone else.

| >>656537
>Of course, as the machine parts gets replaced, she is no longer "alive". All it is now is... a new form of life? But regardless, humans always have something just in case. Her body lights up, and it engulfs the tent in an explosion, hoping to wipe the... (plant creature???) out. Most of its components are replaced already, but it still activates, with the last of its gunpowder.

>>656536
>Alisa rubs her eyes, and stirs in his hands. She's calmer.
"What... happened?"

| >>656540
>The explosion tears and bites, tent ingulfed in flames. Pollen cloud serves as an additional fuel, and a ball of fire rises up into the air.
>The creature's light body is blown away effortlessly, like an autumn leaf is torn off the branch it grew on, significant portions of its torso and legs missing, and right hand originally extended towards the woman missing entirely.

| >The body splats onto the ground a dozen meters away from the tent, rolling over a couple of times like a broken doll that a child threw away in a fit of anger. Once stunning golden leaves ablaze and covered in dirt and ash, transparent sap streaming from everywhere plant... mass is missing. Large orchid on the creature's head torn off and reduced to smoldering stem, vines once covered in tiny flowers now scorched black.

| >Fluorescent light flickers and begins to fade from the body, as it lies on the ground, burning, remaining limbs spread out. Hexagonal, alien amber eyes are wide open, more sap leaking from the corners, like tears. Only one expression, one feeling is written there. A confusion, as the plant creature tries and fails to move. Flames slowly eat away at its dirtied frame.

| >>656540
"That.. that happened."

> Rene gestures towards the tent, now away and safe from it. He stops running to heave a breath, crouching to regain some muscle strength.

"..."

> The tent has now left to become ash, and he spots the figure standing silently. Met with intents only purposed to be hostile, he relieves his stress with a deep sigh.

"... Well."

> There's a wish for another day.

"At least we're safe."

| >>656560
"I... I see."

>She takes a look at the charred field, and the sight of the creature.

"Rene. I've been sleeping for like over 8 hours. I'm good now."

>Alisa speaks out, her fact... changed? Her breathing have calmed down, and there's no sign that she went crazy a few minutes ago. She releases herself from Rene's grasp.

"This is... not good, but. Can we go back and see what's going on? We need to gather information on whatever... it is. It doesn't seem so hostile now."

| >>656564
"We should be s-"

> Rene suddenly paused. His body tensed, almost frozen. His knees began to drop, one by one, his gait has halted. His expression affrighted, eyes widened.

"... Gh--"

> There were words. Now, none were spoken. He releases Alisa from his carry before he loses all voluntary control of his muscles.

> Just like in their first meeting, he dropped. Dead? Perhaps not. His body still takes in the air, albeit slowly.

| >>656569
>Alisa turns her head 180, before catching Rene instinctively.
"H-hey, are you okay?"

>She curses under her breathe. However, as it have happened before she cannot take any chances. Maybe it's all of the sudden release of tension that froze him up? No... she have to assume the worst: that he's dying.

>She rummages through the supply bag, finding at least anything... anything at all!

"R-rene! Stay with me!"

>Panic seeps in.

| >>656572
"Let him be."

> A voice enters from afar. What walks is a woman, nearly as tall as Rene, with a similar hair clip that dons the side of her hair. The blonde hair she does sways, caught by her shoulder.

> A familiar set of suit and trousers, not once dirtied by the environment. She strides carrying a rifle, with size longer than herself. Her eyes met with Alisa, ignoring the pair, as she walks towards the plant creature.

"He will awake in two hours time."

| > Immediately noticeable, as Rene was caught is the protrusion behind him. It's a foreign object, thrown to him at a velocity to have impacted him quick. Reaching for it reveals its structure — a hilt. A short handle; a knife.

| >>656575
"H-huh??? You... What did you do? Hey!"

>Alisa looks on with confusion, and tries to stop the woman. After a while, she notices the knife, and she goes quiet.

>She then steps up, and gets in the woman's way.

"...Why."

| >>656578
> The one that met her is a stranger's eyes. Staring back at the catboomer, those eyes were cold, much more so than the night that enroaches.

"I have no reason to answer someone I don't know -- and I don't see you as a threat. Now, move."

> She pushes past Alisa, brushing against her.

| >>656579
>Alisa doesn't respond, and lets the woman... move past her. She glances at Rene, and sighs. She probably can't win against the woman either, and he would hate it if she risks her life.

"Okay. Let's get out of here. I'm sure you don't like it either."

>She then goes back to Rene, and carries him... anywhere, as long as it's away from here.

"Let's get some help for you. It seems like the knife is... coated with some sleeping agent? Sleep well anyways."

| >>656580
> As expected, Rene didn't move. However, the bluish tones in his skin would induce a greater sign than a sleeping agent.

> He slowly twitches.

>>656545
> The woman walks closer to the creature. She had no care, nor interest. She is there to do what the job entails her to. Nothing more, nothing less. She captures the view in memory, seeing if such being can be called 'alien'.

| >>656581
>The figure still lies there, torn and twisted, its lifeblood draining away as the fire eats away what remains of once gorgeous waterfall of leaves.
>It's frame, missing chunks aside, is undoubtetly humanoid, human even. But, as they say, the devil is in the details. Not much of said details remains, however. The vines coarsing the limbs are scorched and torn. Golden leaves it has for hair - dirtied, burned, still ablaze.

| >No blood escapes the numerous wounds, only transparent, colorless sap is flowing out. It's eyes, amber, hexagonal, devoid of light of consciousness - are undoubtedly inhuman and don't appear similar to any well-known animal out there. One peculiar familiarity, however, are the remains of its clothing - a blue skirt and a pink t-shirt, ones you could find at a uniqlo for a reasonable price. Items obviously human.

| >>656581
"hmmm... how about this..."

>Alisa feeds Rene a pill from a bottle, together with water.

"The old man say it's some kind of... detox? Something about boosting livers and the immune system to fight off toxin? Not sure but... not hurt to try."

>She clenches her fist. Her eyes turn red, and she pats him.

"I'm angry. I think I could take her on. Do you think... Do you think I should do it? I hate it... when people threaten you like this. My blood is boiling."

>She smiles.

| >>656586
> The quiet expression Rene gave caused the smile to go unnoticed. Those eyes, now closed, didn't flutter. A silent reply that has no voice to scream out.

>>656584
> The woman hesitated. After all is ablaze, she will have no more ways to 'save' the creature. Her legs bend and she creates a dash to surrender herself to the flame in this landscape of hell.

> As she draws closer to the creature, she scans any available mobility. Limbs, or anything it may use to manoeuvre.

| >>656589
>Right hand is missing, completely, with only half a shoulder still in place, scourched at sides.
>Two perfectly humanoid legs in significantly less than perfect condition, huge chunks of plantmass torn out and smaller cuts covering the surface.

| >>656590
> Lugging the heavy rifle, finishing her run, the woman makes a certain note of the mass. She checks if the body is rooted, figuring with ease what a plant will need to even live.

> Around her, she tracks for any way out, carrying the creature. If it's not too late, all she will do is just that.

> The clot of smoke has begun to permeate her lungs.

| >>656589
"Of course not. Even if she dies, you're still in danger. Sorry about that~"

>Alisa goes quiet and stabilizes the knife wound. Not pulling it out, she disinfects the wound and reduces air exposure, by ripping off a piece of her giant T-shirt, in addition to the less-available bandages. After patching Rene up temporarily, she takes some essential things and leave the bag there.

>She then carries Rene away from this place. There's no longer anything else for her to do.

| >Somewhere, far away from the campfire, a slug is still eating its obsidian....

| >>656593
>The creature is definitely uprooted. It would unlikely to throw roots after being flung through the air and set on fire after all. Sap is still flowing out of the wounds, plants well known to not be the fastest healers on the planet. Golden leaves of the creature are still very much on fire, but that is likely to be the only thing preventing anyone from grabbing it and taking away.

| >>656594
> Rene's arm held Alisa's. His eyes open wide, blotched by the reds grown past their edges. He gasps for air, and reaches for the knife behind. With the free arm, he pulls the knife out, releasing a hurtful growl from him. Blood gushes outside.

"Guh--!"

> Hyperventilating was part for the course. The reds in his cheeks return. This was not two hours in time.

> He rolls and tries to bear the pain, grasping at the ground, breaking the inches of his nails.

| >>656598
> Lacking any form of mechanism to reduce the fire, the woman takes a single knife out from the pocket of her suit. She determines an area that can be cut, perhaps, with the knife — trying to minimise the spread of the fire directly.

| >>656599
>Alisa immediately puts Rene down. She quickly replaces the cloth and the patched wound, and repeats everything on the day that they first met. This time, however, she can take care of it. It is just knife wound. She wraps around it, trying to give it pressure to prevent the blood loss.

>She tries to calm Rene down, begs for him to stay still, and tells him to not panic. She removes the gas mask, seeing this area is free of smoke, and allowing him to breathe easier.

| >>656688
> Alisa's word reaches him. Through the sheer pain rushing to him, his body jolts and tenses. He would have screamed, but he held them to make a growl.

> His face is flush with the boundaries separating the white skin and the blush. His lips tighten, gritting and numbing the pain.

| >>656739
>The catboomer pats Rene for trying to bear it. It makes her job easier. She patches up the blood loss, and without him thrashing around, she easily injects a dose of painkiller, helping him endure it better.

>She takes yet another pill from a bottle, and dissolves it inside a water bottle. The liquid sifts around strangely.

"Here, drink up. It'll help with the pain."

| >>656784
> He follows the order as instructed, not at all asking questions.

> Rene's body began to relax as his consciousness returns. The pain instilled must have been of a great degree, as he still struggles to properly handle it -- unlike the wound he once suffered.

> His eyes dart to find the weapon -- the knife he had pulled.

| >>656788
>The drink tastes like normal water...? A pill doesn't seem to have any immediate effects. However, the painkillers injected seemed to be more effective than usual?

"Here. You're looking for this?"

>She holds out a knife. It must be the same knife that stabbed Rene... She tries to take a closer look at the knife, analyzing it.

"I don't know what it is... but it seemed to be some very very dangerous thing?? is on it. I recommend you to not touch it-"

| >>656800
"..."

> He breathes. Taking as much as air as possible. The painkiller allowed him to have an immediate relief, aiding his effort to ignore the pain.

> The knife is a gravity knife. Short, and its blade is needlessly sharp. Its wooden handle has a certain grafting that is difficult to make clear indication of. Perhaps due to its light weight, there is no switch nor spring to eject or pull back the blade.

> The steel blade hardly shines.

| >>656803
"... Let's talk about this later. Right now, let's worry about you first. When you're good, nod."

>She takes the knife, and wraps it around several layers of plastic, hoping to keep it from harming anyone.

"This is a good... hint. We can use this. yes."

>She looks at the woman, who is helping the plant creature in the distance.

"She feels so familiar somehow... But why did she target you, of all people? She must have known that... nevermind. Rest now."

| >>656812
> Rene doesn't seem to catch the entirety of Alisa's thoughts, though he merely responded to them with a nod -- it's hard to tell whether he is agreeing or understanding. His pained look have dissipated, leaving only relief to be seen from his face.

> He tries to say a word: 'THANKS', but there is only silence for his voice. Eyes closed every now and then. At least, it's clear he isn't yet dying anymore.

| >>656814
"Take your time. We're safe for the time being. And I'll protect you!"

>Alisa she reaches out for his hand, and gently takes his pinky finger. Fortunately, it's not the forbidden act of hand h*lding.

"It's a pinkie promise! So don't die."

>The pill seemed to finally take effect. It seems to make one more aware, and healing???? but its degree of effectiveness is unknown.

>Alisa keeps an eye on her surrounding, while also thinking. She doesn't say anything else.

| >>656815
> The finger twines, and Rene smiles -- as little as it may be, his face straws the last of his happiness out, radiating it.

".... thank you."

> His voice comes, hoarse and broken and scattered in melody. It was weak and defeated. This all, to him, is no different from their first meeting.

| >>656816
"No problem. Now rest. Let me take care of things this time."

>She smiles in respond to Rene's. Her fingers doesn't move.

"That's a mission failed, huh. Our enemy blew up, and our entire base of operation is completely blown up to pieces. In addition, we have someone that wants to kill you, but doesn't, and an alien creature."

>She sighs. It wouldn't happened if she got out of Glitz. She stares at the crumbling lone building in the distance stoically.

"tch...!"

| >>656819
> Rene's empty hand reaches for Alisa. He pats her, with what energy he has. He weakly stroked then his hand fell to his chest. Something struck him, and he began to peruse the pockets of his jacket. One left unopened, a knife was taken out.

> He weakly presents the knife. It's the same knife as before, cleaner and pristine, every detail in clarity. Its blade is hidden.

"end her."

> It's the anger in him, reflecting hers, speaking a soft realisation.

| >>656827
"H-huh?"

>Surprised at Rene's sudden spark of anger, and the realization of the same knife...

"...I see. That was her. Funny how we're all at the same place."

>The catboomer shakes her head, but she takes the knife anyways.

"I probably can't- but I can try to... capture her, and make her pay for her mistake!"

>Alisa laughs nervously, but there's no indication that she's going to do it.

| >>656990
> Rene chuckles. His fuzzy, cloudy mind has understood everything well enough. What was the reason for his anger? He can only follow the chuckle until his goes quiet.

"mission.. failed--"

> He seems to be resting now. Asleep. His body poses no resistance, and his limbs are weak. This view of him is no splitting generalisation from what he was before — thankfully, without a gaping wound on his chest.

| >>656600
>Fire has spread quite far already, sheer volume of the golden growth serving as an excellent fuel source. To stop the fire one would have to commit an atrocity, cutting away almost all of it, leaving a bob cut at most. It is unclear how it would affect the plant... girl... creature, but it will surely stop the spread of the fire... still leaving one with gigantic wounds to deal with.
>The sap begins to form a tiny puddle around the creature's body.

|

| >>657406
"Hmph."

> Focus. She slashes bits charred by the red flame, uncaring or unaware of the creature's affection to those leaves. Focus, and she ends her task in no mere minute — it was so swiftly done, not letting a single imperfection. Not this time.

> Due to the nature of the job, her apathy grew by the minute. She let the wound be — after all, this is not a field of expertise she dabbles in.

> She ushers to carry the plant creature, trying to move it away from the fire.

| >>657970
>The knife makes quick work of the growth, slicing through the leaves and tiny soft branches supporting them from beneath. Said branches snap easily under pressure even without the instrument, tiny drops of sap quickly covering her hands entirely.
>For its size and semblance of a human child, the creature is ridiculously... light. So light in fact, that even a real child could probably pick it up with one hand and run around for hours without tiring.

| >>658450
> The woman tightens her grasp. With her speed, it's not as much as she fears the creature to be carried by the wind — but her instincts had acted before her common sense.

> She ejects her body weight in each step, transforming the energy to a forward leap, and moving away from the fire. The rifle she carries has encumbered her somewhat.

| >>657004
"Good. Now..."
>The red-eyed catboomer takes out her phone, and whispers something in it.
"I think you deserve a promotion now, Rene."

>She pockets the knife that Rene gives her in her short- the pockets that she made herself. No one would ever make pockets on woman's clothing items, and that's beyond disg-

>She slowly makes her way to the site, where the woman attempted to help the plant child. Her pace picks up faster, and faster. Something shimmers in her hand.

| >>657004
"Good. Now..."
>The red-eyed catboomer takes out her phone, and whispers something in it.
"I think you deserve a promotion now, Rene."

>She pockets the knife that Rene gives her in her short- the pockets that she made herself. No one would ever make pockets on woman's clothing items, and that's beyond disg-

>She slowly makes her way to the site, where the woman attempted to help the plant child. Her pace picks up faster, and faster. Something shimmers in her hand.

|

|

| >>658576
>The plant... creature is entirely passive, making no effort to resist, or move, or even adjust its position in the woman's hold. Only two large, hexagonal, alien, amber eyes. From this close, their appearance is even more striking as something outlandish, unnatural — framed with pitch black 'whites' and coupled with complete lack of any hint of conscience behind them.

| >It was just so painfully, plainly obvious that whatever it was, the creature was never truly meant to be — and at the same time, its presence felt just as natural as the sky, sky colored crimson from the fires roaring in the distance.

| ---
>Back where the tent once was, buried, hidden, protected beneath the ground and plasteel of the city underways, waited a parting and, probably, last selfless gift from the creature that had faced nothing but suffering and betrayal since its inception, to the woman whose soul was erased and body twisted and defiled to serve a purpose none of her own.

| >A tiny seed, propelled many dozens, if not hundreds, of meters downward into the Earth's embrace. Perhaps, many years from then, an archaeologist would stumble upon it, and be left buffled at the mind-shattering complexity of the genetic code inside such trivial, tiny shell. Perhaps, the entire life of a single ancient woman could be unearthed from within, a truly one of a kind artifact of the past.

| >Perhaps, if planted, it would grow into a big, beautiful flower, screaming its existence with its radiant colors.

>Or maybe it won't ever be found at all, left deep within the ground forever, as the eons pass by. Whatever of the two it would be, it would remain — a precious proof of existence that was, is and will be — until the suns cold down and the universe grows silence. Such was this gift, the only one, the last one.

Total number of posts: 201, last modified on: Fri Jan 1 00:00:00 1591581396

This thread is permanently archived