danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
(meta) How to get back into this?

| I haven't been posting or participating here in, like, probably two years. I feel very out of it. Is there any threads I should read or things I should know if I wanna get back into it again? Because every time I enter a thread I feel very alienated and don't understand shit.

| I feel the same despite never managing to get into it in the first place. No one responds to my posts even when I go out of my way to respond to theirs. I guess my attempts aren't very interesting.

Maybe us lost people should have our own thread or something.

| Pretty sure most of threads here are either shitposting or some kind of storyline/quest/jobs. There's not really anything you really need to read unless you are interested in participate in some of the stories later down the line. People not responding to your post can have many reasons. Maybe they are interested but they are too busy to respond, or maybe they couldn't come up with an interesting reply. Maybe you respond with something that can make the conversation awkward.

| >>634979
Eh, nah. Idk. I feel like we just need to get into the ecosystem. I mean, when I got into it the board had almost same amount of threads as /u/, so it was a lot easier to just bounce in and out of threads and participate in the more beginner friendly ones and learn it from there. That's not really the case anymore though.

>>634983
Yeah, that's the vibe I get. Everything is either a continuation of private discord shit or it's nothing. It feels very exclusive nowadays.

| >>634984
Honestly, I have to disagree. Most of the quest threads are generally​ open. OP of those threads usually either recruit people via the job boards(Such as the burgular job thread)​ or made a thread announcing said setting beforehand(Such as Scifox's westport deal) and you can join them even if you haven't signed up beforehand if you can find a reason to enter. Normal settings are open for anyone​ to enter, it's up to you if you want to do so or not.

| >>634986
Well, sure, but that doesn't really change anything though. Like, how does one participate in a job when you have no knowledge about the current events in-universe or where the locations are or the reasons and all of that.

I know the normal settings are open to everyone, but the only people that are there are people with established characters that have been there for a long time and are interacting with the same types of people. I feel like it would be hard to join.

| >>634990
Pretty sure the motives of the jobs are described in the job description itself. Every single job I entered basically blindly, I did't know what to expect, I only knew the setting mentioned with no idea what that is. That's the job of the OP to describe the setting. Your part as a player is to roleplay and stick to your character and your roles in said job. You don't understand the events? Have your character ask around.​

| Normal setting​s are one of the best way to establish your character IMO. It's a good way to introduce your character's appearance and personality. You don't have anyone to talk to? Talk with the bartender, introduce yourself. You might forget but every single one of those "established character" also started from nothing. They had to walk around and start up conversations with people they met.

| Look at my first ever character, Impulse, for example. I introduced him in an introduction thread. The first thing after that thread? He followed the first candy truck he saw and ended up in a confusing shootout. The only thing I knew of the board at the time is that the setting is vaguely cyberpunk. The OP told me everything I needed to know about the setting, I just played out my character as he was at the time, a starving confused soldier with a rifle and a pistol in hand.

| >>634992
Ah, yeah, I guess. I was kinda uncomfortable doing job type stuff even when I had an established character though. My character wasn't really the typical hacker or mercenary, and it wasn't a very serious character either (because I don't enjoy being 100% serious in roleplaying) so it always felt kinda weird. Like, everyone seemed very used to it and like they knew what they were doing and I didn't understand half of what was happening.

| >>634993
Well, true. That is how I did it the first time around and probably is how I'll do it if I go for getting into it again. I feel like the lack of threads makes it harder to establish a character though, but maybe not.

>>634994
True. I remember doing some shit with you every now and again. I think I'm still in your Discord server. I guess I'll just have to try. Look for a good thread to start with and go from there.

| >>634994

Wait, that was seriously the >>>first candy truck he saw?

| >>635006
Yes

| >>635014

I'm impressed!

##Janitor:CN##

| You can always read up a bit on the wiki on some old stuff, if there some stuff you still have questions about, you can also make a thread about it as well! Not all plot info will be known or may be rumored so if theres something more long term you could be interested in that could be a way to get in or at least get information regarding it.

| >>635168
Thanks! I might look through it and make a character that I'll attempt to get back into this with.

| This is no longer so easy an option, since the contact info thread was unpinned — however, it is still can easily be found using the site's internal search system. Through that, you can look up who is running the thread/characters you are interested in (assuming they did add their info) and contact them directly through discord or something for more seamless integration.

| Alternatively, just make a (OOC) "To X" thread, goddangit! There are plenty of ways to work through the process of your character learning of what is going on, not always it *has* to be you doing all the job. Plenty of DMs are fully willing to work with interested players to make introductory events, me included.
—UKT

| >>635255
I'm glad. Yeah, I'll look into it. I'm pretty busy right now but I'll try to make a basic character and work from there. Just go to a bar or something.

Total number of posts: 19, last modified on: Thu Jan 1 00:00:00 1584391857

This thread is permanently archived