danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Bill being voted on to remove handicap privileges in most public places.

| >>>03/11/XX - article written by Cody Foss

CAPITOL HILL - A new bill is currently being voted on right now to remove common public convenience spots ordinarily set aside for physically-handicapped individuals this week.

Bill 109872B, named the "Augmented Society" bill, states that parking spots ordinarily set aside for handicapped folk, as well as any other public amenities such as access ramps and seats on public transportation vehicles like buses or subways are up for removal.

| Okay, this is some garbage. I'm not even going to get into the fact that some people don't like to use augs, but America still has awful healthcare and plenty of disabled people can't afford to get the modifications needed to be fully functional again.
And nobody likes to talk about it but there are some severe physical disabilities that you can't augment away.
And who benefits from the government going to the effort to remove handicap ramps from public buildings anyway?

| - SciFox

| The reason for this bill, according to its supporters, is that modern technological innovations now allow for the majority of Glitch City citizens to recieve augmentations for physical disabilities which would stand to need handicap privileges. The supporters claim that "This bill is not a punishment to the handicapped, merely encouragement to improve themselves and join the present times - an age without physical disabilities."

Some people, however, view this as an injustice.

| "What about those who don't have the money for an augment?" seems to be the most common question those who oppose the bill ask. "On the wages we make, most people are lucky to be able to purchase cybernetics like the ones required to reverse something like paralysis or amputations. Another concern is brought up by those who's disabilities are not physical. "Those with mental disorders like cerebral palsy aren't able to just make cybernetic legs work, it isn't that easy."

| Regardless of wherever you stand on the issue, the results of this vote will arrive in the coming weeks, and you can rely on me to keep you updated on the issues that matter most to GC. Stay tuned for more from the Foss Public News threads!

>About the author: In the streets, on the Matrix and fighting for you, Cody Foss is a solo freelance journalist, trying to bring to light the dark of Glitch City's corrupt corporate and political practices, and bring truth to the people of /u/.

| While this is something I don't doubt came out of QUINCYs "genius" mind, I can't help but wonder the point of it all is. Sure they say it's to "improve ourselves" or whatever drek, but removing that stuff takes money. I wouldnt be surprise if this is some cover to replace it with something else down the line. -CN

| I must say, we're a bit disappointed that this is being considered. Jinterprise likes to pride itself on the inclusivity and importance of the general community no matter their position. We may want to speak with Quincy about the power arrangement with the city if they plan on continuing with this. Gravely disappointing.
-Argyle Jin

| Oh shit.
Good corp's pissed

| These kinds of bills are what led to the Hong Kong riots back in the day. Persecution towards individuals caused major outrage. Due to the other structural issues that have ocurred within Glitch City. We have some financial concerns over this proposal and it's thoughtlessness towards the consequences towards financial investors.
-Argyle Jin (transcript from press conference)

| Looks like I won't have much to do this time around after all. -CN

| Oops, I guess when I read Capitol Hill I got the impression they were talking about the US... that one's on me, sorry.
Still think this is garbage, though.
- SciFox

Worth noting that he doesn't cuss, ever, so saying something is garbage is pretty damning coming from him.
- BrittanYs

| Oops, I guess when I read Capitol Hill I got the impression they were talking about the US... that one's on me, sorry.
Still think this is garbage, though.
- SciFox

Worth noting that he doesn't cuss, ever, so saying something is garbage is pretty damning coming from him.
- BrittanYs

| ... I can't speak for anyone else's feelings on this, but I can certainly advocate for myself here, and I encourage others to do the same.

I have a condition called "progressive muscular atrophy". It's considered to be a variant of ALS. I can't walk more than a few steps without some form of assistance. I wear an exoskeleton from the waist down, which has allowed me to both keep my legs, and to remain mobile. Nanomachine therapy has halted my disease's progression.

| >>634169
I'm lucky. I'm very lucky. Not only that, but... I'm happy. Yes, there are things I struggle with, difficulties I face that your average person wouldn't even have to consider in day-to-day life-- but I'm alive-- I'm >>>living. I have a career; I have a passion I wouldn't be able to practice without that treatment, and this device I use. It's kept me standing and moving forward for as long as I can remember.

| >>634172
>>>I'm satisfied. But... for some reason, other people aren't. I'm constantly asked when I'm going to scrap my exo and get prosthetics. Friends, family, past lovers, coworkers-- it always seems to come up. I wish it didn't.

It isn't up to them.

It shouldn't be.

The many... don't always know what's best for the few.

My roommate-- she says that "if you aren't living it, you shouldn't have any say in it"-- I think that applies here.

| >>634177
When it comes to how I manage my disability, I was able to make a choice. Other people should be able to do the same. It's about what's best for the >>>patient, not those around them. As someone who's been on both sides of the bedrail, I... think I understand that better than most.

Now that I've said my piece, I'll get off my soapbox. Thanks.

-Hawkeye

| look im not going to state my opinion on this but i will say that if theyre really gonna push this they should at least throw some funds towards the programs out there that are meant to make augmentation more accessible to the patient population being targeted by this bill

of course that would make sense though and we cant have anything like that happening in GC

>mEdison

Total number of posts: 18, last modified on: Sat Jan 1 00:00:00 1584027324

This thread is permanently archived