danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
I'm looking at something odd

| So backstory for y'all; found myself going through a haul of stuff from flooded and the newly re-established midnight right? well I was looking through it, parsing y'know when I found something weird. It's one of those old drawn things, held with a frame. 'Think the old folks before the crash called it a painting? yeah, thats the word; thing is the darn thing seems to have some sort of cipher etched into its back, old stuff no binary or anythin'. anyone knows anythin' bout this?

| Wat? Paintings are still pretty normal where im from.
anyway show the cipher
i wanna take a crack at it
>IA

| Wat? Paintings are still pretty normal where im from.
anyway show the cipher
i wanna take a crack at it
>IA

| Are they? never seen one here in GC ngl pal.
Then again, I ain't the most cultured person around.

so here's the text, I rewrote it after scanning the back, so it shouldn't be too wrong:

LESAENARRNOTELVNNAUNVSERNOEIVNEFVPNOUSETUTREIECNRSELZEIUEGOOSOOPTUCFSESEGGTTOTSVIAVDEFTNUUTNUEDVHRSZCEIRRSUCDONCOERFJESSRDSLEEEEEVENEAOOROASEHTRSLOZA·

Looks like old shit, no new age device found any match...

| >>617477
Hmm... not rail fence cipher... -CN

| If it helps, the painting seems to be some old greek thing-a-majig, people in bathrobes walking around old streets... man can you imagine how cold it got during mega christmas back then...

or was that not a thing yet?

| Are you talking about Raphael's "The School of Athens"...? Does it look anything like that?

-Hawkeye

| >>617559
If I knew about art, i'd say something like maybe but seriously? I ain't got a clue to be honest... it just looks old, I don't even know if it's worth anything to be fair... Well maybe if y'all know a art expert? oh drek that's a terrific idea. Any of y'all know art or know someone who knows another someone who knows art?

Kinda wanna see if I can sell it... just hope the cipher doesn't make me go on some weird ass corp hit list or something

| Io saturnalia?
>IA

| >>617519
Could it perhaps be scytale?

-Hawkeye

| >>617577
What the fuck's a scytale?...

Well anyway, it's just a painting of some old dudes in "toges", had to wikicheck that not gunna lie, five dudes holding some kind of book, paper thing. all while in the street, there's also three big towers in the distance.

its kinda pretty

| >>617586
Sytale is an ancient cipher that relied on use of a cylinder both sender and recipient had to have in their possession in order to decode the text.

A string of letters would be written on a strip of cloth, which would display a message when wrapped around the cylinder mentioned above. If it were to be wound around anything of a different diameter, you wouldn't be able to read it.

-Hawkeye

| >>617601
Dang, well huh, one of the old beardies in the painting is carrying a stick with paper wrapped on it? would that kinda be it? nice of the artist to leave traces I guess?

This is so wack chums

| >>617600
In that case it would be pretty hard to crack without the cylinder. -CN

| >>617611
... What?!

No, no, it can't be that simple-- that man is probably holding a scroll of parchment.

On a separate note, I'm not sure if it being scytale would add another layer of security to the message, or if it would just make the use of that kind of cipher seem outrageous in this context: who's going to cut out part of a painting just to get their answer?

-Hawkeye

| >>617615
Not knowing the size of the lettering makes it seem even more impossible... Ah, well-- it was interesting to entertain, I suppose...

-Hawkeye

| >>617621
It's easier to run through the cipher we COULD run through first. Though if corps used methods like that I'd probably be out of a job. -CN

| >>617621
Well, huh... I just did cut it.... Again I wikichecked it.

Uh, its certainly... a message I still cant read it though, its some kinda other Language, maybe

Whoops

| This is the message, had to put the thing away:

LESTREFONDSVOUSAPPELENTDENOUVEAUCHERSFRERESSENTEZVOUSCETTEENERGIELEGRAVITRONETSONCOURANTCOURSDANSVOSVEINESLACHEZVOTREDERNIERSOUFFLEETJOIGNEZVOUSANOUS·

No idea what the fuck this is, but maybe it means something... Can paintings be crazy glued back btw?

| >>617635
... Maybe I should keep my musings in my head from now on, so people's creative work doesn't end up getting destroyed as a result of my rambling...

>>617640
This... looks like French to me.

-Hawkeye

| >>617642
So like, crazy glue right?

| >>617643
Ah... anything's possible if you try hard enough...?

-Hawkeye

| >>617639
Wait how did you figure it out? -CN

| >>617650
Well, I wikichecked that thing right, and found a stick in the package the painting was in, so I kinda winged it?

The glue seems to be working? maybe? hey how long does it take to set again chummers?

| >>617650
Well, I wikichecked that thing right, and found a stick in the package the painting was in, so I kinda winged it?

The glue seems to be working? maybe? hey how long does it take to set again chummers?

| Fixed it!
>An image is posted, it's some dingy room with a painting sitting on a ratty workbench in the middle of it, the painting depicts five men in greek clothing walking through a street in what can only be assumed to be some antique town, they each hold different scrolls and books, one of them is clearly holding a scytale stick in his left hand. Three towers of stone are featured prominently in the background as the sun sets over them.

| >The painting seems to have been half-assedly glued back together, so a large part of the middle is off kilter, hiding some details.

Fuck man, I can still sell it right? I'm sure art nerds aren't that picky... right?

| >The painting seems to have been half-assedly glued back together, so a large part of the middle is off kilter, hiding some details.

Fuck man, I can still sell it right? I'm sure art nerds aren't that picky... right?

| >>617671
I think art nerds are pretty picky but too late for that. -CN

| >>617683
Well, I mean I could probably just tell them I found it like that, doubt any of em spend time on this part of the net.

ararar!

| >>617684
Um.... sure. Anyways, getting back to the cipher.
"THE TREFONDS CALL YOU NEW DEAR BROTHERS FEEL THIS ENERGY THE GRAVITRON AND ITS CURRENT FLOW IN YOUR VEINS LET YOUR LAST BREATH LIVE AND JOIN US" -CN

| >>617687
Woah... huh yeah sounds epic... and fucking creepy.

Does GC still ban bonfires?

| >>617687
Woah... huh yeah sounds epic... and fucking creepy.

Does GC still ban bonfires?

| >>617728
I'm going with yes. Pretty bad one in Neko Park a year ago that caused quite a stir. -CN

| >>617737
How am I supposed to burn this cursed old shit then?

| >>617738
I mean you dont have to use fire. Maybe some good ol acid? -CM

| >>617753
Wish I had acid man, long since I didnt tri- wait no yeah okay I got it

| "The Gravitron"? What on Earth is that?

-Hawkeye

| Sounds to me like a science term, kinda like a super laser or something? or gravity related thing?... Hold up my Cyberbrain is frying, fucking basetech, should of bought an alpha.

| >>617787
amusement park ride?

| >>617791
wuh-oh :D

| D: wrong expression!!

| >>617794
I was about to say chummer, dont laugh okay!
drekking hell, now of all things I regret not taking science classes and getting this shitty brain port, 10x the power of a regular brain my ass...

or maybe I should turn off all the chrome tabs in there... nah

| >>617791 >>617792 >>617798
It almost sounds like... some weird kind of centrifuge, but I'm obviously very doubtful that this is what's being referred to.

Not something I'd want the power of coursing through my veins...

-Hawkeye

| >>617800
Just came across the thread...
Isnt the Gravitron some kind of old swedish experiment, I thought I heard about it on this board before and once at work, majored in physics at NSF...

And by Old I mean like 60's old and not 2160 nor 2060
-GeneralOfTheLeft

| https://boards.dangeru.us/cyb/thread/409110

This is the thread, I knew I heard about this before

-GeneralOfTheLeft

| >>617809
Hmm... what is the deal with the cult tho -CN

| >>617812
What, a cult? Bro I hope they aren't mad I burnt their fucked up painting...

| >>617814
Did you burn it...

-GeneralOfTheLeft

| >>617814
I mean how are they gonna find out. It's not like you posted it online or someth- oh. -CN

| >>617828
DON'T JINX IT CHUM

Total number of posts: 51, last modified on: Sat Jan 1 00:00:00 1579479870

This thread is permanently archived