danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
(Setting) A street corner in Midnight...

| >Amidst the evening hustle and bustle of the Midnight District, something... unusual is going down. Over the course of an hour, a small crew has set up what appears to be a crude stage or display on an open street corner, free for pedestrians to walk by, through, or even into. There appear to be two figures seated in the middle of the shallow platform. It's hard to tell exactly what's going on from a distance, so... do you draw closer?

| >A tall shady man draws closer to the stage, his eyes half closed as a scowl forms on his face

| >>565741
>As you approach, you're able to see a bit better: two women sit facing away from one another in the center of the makeshift stage, their backs pressed together. Each has leaned their head back to rest on the shoulder of the other, and their hands are neatly folded in their laps. They look almost as if they're sleeping...

| >>565744
>The women appear to be mirror images of one another: dark hair like black ink framing their faces and spilling over their shoulders, slender limbs, delicate faces seemingly untouched by time, by worry. Similar in every aspect except one: the woman on the right a being of flesh and blood, on the left her lilim twin. There is a table behind them with... many objects on it, and a small placard. How curious, how strange.

| >>565745
>The man simply raises an eyebrow at the strangeness of the scene, especially that lilim which looks almost identical to her human 'twin'
>He keeps looking, after-all what harm is there in observing, its free and its not like he had anything to do tonight.

| >>565757
>Neither woman nor lilim rouse from their "slumber," but you notice beneath their feet there are arrows directing you towards the table behind the two of them. Glancing at the sign on the table again, you're able to make out the top line from where you stand: "rhythm/2" written in neat lettering. There is more text beneath it, but you won't be able to read it unless you move closer.

| >>565765
>The man steps closer with a sigh, this better not cost anything

| >>565830
>There's nothing on the table or by the women to indicate payment is needed to... participate? You look at the sign more closely, and read what's printed on it below what could be a title.

"-Instructions:
There are 36 objects on the table that one can use on me as desired.

-Performance:
I am the object.
During this period I take full responsibility."

>It is unclear whom "I" is referring to, but it doesn't look as if it's a typo.

| >a girl with black and white hair approaches
>she is wearing....oh dear...she seems to be wearing one of those ahegao hoodies with matching skirt and thigh highs
"C'mon hurry up slow poke?
Aren't you supposed to be a park coreist or whatever?!"
>she giddily calls out

>a boy with brown hair follows
>he is wearing a blue jacket and an...interesting looking headset
"Alright Alright im coming.
Calm down, its not going anywhere"
>he chuckles

| >>565830 >>565844 >>566117
>You see the "36 objects" mentioned in the instruction sheet are strewn about the table in no particular order-- among them things such as a paint set, lipstick, some feathers, a rose, cheap synthetic wine, bread, chocolates... and then, things such as... A lighter. Nails. A length of rope. Chain. Razorblades. An electric prod.

>A pistol... with a single bullet.

>The women remain still, even as you approach the table.

| >>566144
>the duo reads the plaque
"OooooOOOOooo what kinda act is this..?
Cassius, do something"

"Alright"
>the boy inspects the stuff on the table
"Jesus this gun is loaded, must be some act then"
>he then contemplates for a second
"Hmmm... i got it, hey gem, help me stack these"

"Whaaaaa?"

| "Nevermind i got it"
>the boy then takes the bread, then puts it on the lilim girls head on its end, somehow balancing it, then balancing the wine bottle on the bread, then the chocolate on the wine, the topping it of with a rose

>all of which, somehow perfectly balanced as to not topple

>then he sits on the floor directly in front of the lilim girl and stares her dead in the eye

>his female companion looking in awe the entire time

| >>566146
>The lilim and her partner maintain their calm and collected exteriors. Both gaze forward, the lilim unblinking, the woman closing her eyes on occasion. The lilim meets Cassius' gaze, but there doesn't seem to be much of a connection that's made. It seems as if that's her goal- no, their goal.

| >>566159
"Your balance is impressive miss"
>he stands up, and takes off the stuff he put on the lilims head
"Sorry about that~"
>then takes the rose again and puts it in the lilims hair all fancy like

"Hmmmm...what else...what else..?"
>still not fully understanding the act he thinks some more
"You got any ideas gem?"

"Tickle the other one!"

"Alright i guess"
>he takes a feather and tickles the human girl
>in her armpit, under her chin and neck area and such

| >>566160
>You see the lilim's neck and shoulders relax very slightly, no longer having to bear the weight of the tower of various objects Cassius piled on top of her head. Perhaps there is a glimmer of something in her eyes as Gem delicately twists the rose into her dark locks, but it is obscured almost immediately as it was noticed.

| >>566160
>The human woman remains in whatever pose Cassius manipulates her into in order to tickle her; if he's lifted her arms they stay in the air. They may quiver a bit as the feather moves from place to place, but she does not flinch. Although her face is blank, her eyes show some kind of dedication or determination.

| >>566161
(Cass was the one who put the rose In case i wasn't clear)
"Sorry again"

>>566162
>the duo clap
"Truly professional.
Oh well, time to keep going"
>the boy chuckles then puts the feather in the girls ear
>stylish
"Hmmmm, what else..."

"Uhhhhhhh...
Do something that makes people sleepy">gem asks

"Well its either i massage them or i read them some random law book.

And i think ill go for the former for nobody deserves that kind of torture"

| "Forgive me for intruding"
>he then massages the humans back
>holy crap thats good
>perhaps she feels a wave of comfort and relaxation as the boy works his magic
>as if all her stress justs melts away as she is awash with relief in a small moment of bliss

"Where did you learn how to massage people"

"Honestly gem i cant remember"

| >>566164
>You can tell the woman is trying not to wince as you stick the feather right into her ear canal, making it look as if it'd suddenly sprouted her eardrum. Her elbows remain slightly angled away from her sides, hovering in the air.

>>566165
>If you've chosen to scoot the woman's chair away from her lilim partner's chair, you're able to reach her back. If not, you simply knead at her shoulders. She stares straight ahead, fighting to maintain her trance like state.

| >>566225
"Wow, it truly is an impressive will power"
>he stops and puts her back
"Sorry"
>then takes out the feather, he didn't put it in there to forcefully so it shouldn't have hurt her or anything like that

"Hmmmm..."
>while pondering he takes the feather as well as all the others in the table, leaving one for anyone else
>then he takes out a silver thread from his jacket
>why does he have that?
>i dont know

"You have any other bright ideas?"

| "Uhhhhhhh"
>while waiting he takes the feathers and thread and makes a hair ornament out of them
>then puts it in the human girls hair
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcSwi3k0eL0dwCypmEo-wHMbvG8qEz40_A8WkdGb7sy9YmelO4Ph
>its suprisingly well made
"That looks cute.
Feathers for one and a rose for the other haha"

"Uhhh...">the girl thinks
"Making them sleepy looked like it worked, try that crazy sound magic!"

"Oh yes that....hmmmm Alright i got an idea"

|

| (Wha oh errr oops, it seems i didn't post the last part, sorry
The capacha is kinda ducky for me)
"Although its certainly not magic"
>he finishes
>then he taps a button on his headset and puts it on the lilim girl
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FY2DDONis70
>then like the human he massages her
>wha wha wha!?!
>the calming music
>the amazing massage
>i-its too much

"Gamma Do something cute"
>an adorable snow owl emerges from his lowered hood
>then simply hops im the girls lap cutely

| >>566241 >>566243 >>566470
>The newly decorated women continue to endure this treatment as best they can. The lilim is able to remain steadfast, even in the face of what would for the most part render someone completely and utterly limp with relaxation. The human woman is performing similarly, but... the minute the snowy owl hops into her lap, she shrieks loudly and throws her hands up in the air, clearly not having expected this at all.

| >>566886
>the boy throws his hands in the air
"Success! Nobody expects the owl"
>the owl in question attemps cuddle the lilim girl adorably

"Woah i really thought they would make it"
>the girl claps

| >>566888
>Indeed, neither of them expected the owl. As the owl hops from the human woman into the lilim's lap, it's actually the shrieking and sudden movement of her twin that gets her attention rather than the snuggly bird of prey. Her eyes dart towards her for a split second before she returns to looking forward, and the slightest hint of a frown flickers across her face. The human woman looks like she's about to burst into tears.

| >>567037
"Uhhh, did i do something wrong?..!"
>he looks to be caught off guard by the tears

>then runs off for a moment before returning with one a bunch of different drinks
"Uhhh, maybe something sweet to calm the nerves?"
>he extends his hand holding one of those chocolate milks held inside a cardboard container
"Errr there is also soda if you like"
>the owl does a sad hoot

| >>567044
>The human woman starts bawling the moment you ask what the problem is, and leans forward, resting her face in her hands. She speaks between sobs, her voice muffled.

"... failed... --dn't have the same dedica--..."

>The lilim shoots the owl a dirty look, barely holding back the grimace her mouth is threating to morph into. This is /not/ how this was supposed to go. Still, she remains unmoving, like stone.

| >>567053
>the owl backs away
>then flies back into the lowered hood

"Uhhh please don't cry it was a lovely performance, i think you did splendidly"
>he panics internally and pulls out a handkerchief and wipes the girls tears away
>then offers any drink in particular
"C'mon and drink up, it'll make you feel better"

| >>567057
>The woman continues to weep, but allows you to wipe the tears from her face. Her sniffling finally irritates her lilim partner enough to make her rise from her chair and face her twin, and she places her hands on her hips, clearly peeved.

"Eve, we >>>talked about this! You said you were ready to make this public!! Did you lie to me?"

>Her tone is very dramatic, but her actions are a lot less so, interestingly enough.

| >>567203
>The lilim's flesh counterpart blubbers, the faucets that are her eyes slowly soaking your handkerchief.

"No, no, Vyv!! I would never lie to you, I could never lie to you!!"

>Eve, on the other hand, looks about as grief-stricken as she sounds. Had your handkerchief been her own, she'd probably clench a corner of it between her teeth and turn her head away in shame.

"This was supposed to be our breakthrough into Glitch's eye!"

| >at this point the guy is Completely lost
"Uhhhh excuse me ma'am"
>he asks the lilim
"Might i ask what exactly is going on?"

| >>567261
>The lilim, Vyv, glowers at you with suspicion.

"We are performance artists. This is- this >>>was,"

>As Vyv corrects her wording, the human woman, Eve, gives a pained yelp or a squeak.

"Our debut piece. Years and years of collaboration were supposed to aid us in creating something that would shock, amaze, and trouble deeply."

>She stomps, grinding the ball of her foot into the stage. Eve cowers in her chair.

"Forgive me, Vyv!!"

| >>567834
"So whats the problem then?
Its just a simple mistake, and she seems really sorry"
>he tilts his head

| >>567839
>The lilim tosses her head, dark hair cloaking her shoulders.

"I don't suppose you've heard of Marina Abromovic?"

| >>567841
"Mmmm no i cant say i have.
Am i supposed to?
I can Google it or something"
>his eyes glow blue

| >>567842
>Vyv scoffs and runs a slender hand through her raven locks.

"'The Artist is Present'? Her works with Ulay? The 'Rhythm' series?"

>The way in which she asks implies that she thinks this should be common knowledge.

| >>567846
"Hmmmm...forgive me However i do not.
I..i uh, had a rather sheltered life you see...pretty much anything that isnt robotics related and im boned.."
>he chuckles

| >>567847
"Then for context, I suggest you do a Matrix search of 'Rhythym 0.' I'll wait; you'll most likely be rendered speechless by Marina's genius."

>Vyv sounds like she really believes this, and very much holds this woman in high regard. Even Eve seems to be quieted by the mention of their idol's name momentarily.

| >>567848
"Uuhhh Alright...? Marina abromovic right?"
>his eyes glow blue as his AR contact lenses search for said idol

| >>567849
>Both Vyv and Eve nod in response. They seem eager to observe your reaction to Marina's past works.

| >>567851
"Alright let's see here...born November 30, 1946.. a Serbian performance artist, writer, and art filmmaker..
Body art..."
>the glowing stops
"Well i see your inspiration now at least.
So whats this have to to with you lashing out on your partner?"

| >>567854
>Vyv folds her arms across her chest and looks down her nose at you.

"I'll have you know that had I been the one of us to break concentration, Eve would be doing the same for me. This is less a reprimand and more a firm reminder of what must be sacrificed to create a great piece sometimes."

>Eve nods.

"Vyv is telling the truth."

| >>567856
"He raises his jackets hood
"Hmmm i see... even if the peice sheds blood?
Seriously is this gun even real?"
>he takes the gun on the table, makes sure its loaded and points it to his head
>...then pulls the trigger

| >>567857
(Oh uh 'He raises his jackets hood
Was supposed to be >red)

| >>567857
>Eve and Vyv nod simultaneously.

"Certainly. We are committed to our work, inseparable from it, wedded to it-- if that means risking life or limb, that risk is one we're willing to take."

>The lilim speaks solemnly, and Eve adopts a rather serious expression. The mood is immediately shattered the moment you threaten to put a hole in your head.

"W-Wait--!!"

>The gun fires. Eve absolutely loses her shit, while Vyv remains rather stoic.

| >>567932
>with Probably the nicest smile you've ever seen he shoots himself in the side of the head
>the sight is absolutely haunting
>yet...the bullet didnt do anything
>stopped the moment it hit the hood
>as if it were armored
"Oh dear that stung"
>the falls off of his shoulder
"I genuinely thought that was a blank or something are you girls insane?!?!"
>he says disregarding the fact that he just shot himself

| >>567935
>Eve is on her knees shaking like a leaf, unable to answer you. Vyv stares, her expression very guarded.

"I don't understand the point of your demonstration just now, nor how it's supposed to prove our 'insanity'. The instructions on the placard are clear."

| >>567941
"You used a real bullet you maniac!
What if someone actually shot you!
I understand your dedicated to your craft but there are other ways to do stuff like that!
Have you ever actually been shot at?!
I assure you its not fun!"
>he lowers his hood and returns the gun
"Do you even have a license for that thing?!"
>all off a sudden he goes full 'very upset big brother'
>its...well it can Probably sober a drunk dude

| >>567942
"'I take full responsibility.'"

>Vyv quotes the explanation on the sign with no visible shift in her demeanor. Eve shivers at her feet, clearly distressed.

"Of course we have a license."

>She hesitates, looking as if she may want to speak further, but apparently decides to save her breath.

| >>567945
>he sighs
>then draws his own gun and fires two bullets
>one for each
>both, just barely missing
>any closer and that would have ended them, but instead merely clipped a single stray strand of hair each
"Any second thoughts now?
What of some dude came up and they *didn't* miss?!
You, you are a lilim, you can just redeploy!
She doesn't get that chance!
What will you do when your friend dies before of some show!?

| "Fuck what will you tell her family?!
'Oh your daughter died because we thought it would be artistic'.
Are you truly prepared for the consequences?
The police, the jailtime, the guilt!
If she actually died, you might lose your privilege to redeploy. Did you know that!"

| >>567952 >>567954
>Vyv 's icy glare doesn't leave her countenance, even as you fire. She does not flinch, does not gasp in surprise, does not even blink. She simply listens to your lecture and waits for you to finish your explanation.

"..."

>Eve actually seems... very calm, now? She wipes at her eyes and looks up at her lilim twin, who gently pats her head, a knowing smile forming on her face.

"Tell him why you wept, Eve, and why you don't any longer."

| >>568073
>he inhales deeply again
"Well, can you look me in the eye and tell me yes?
Can you stare me down and tell me *exactly* what you intend to say?"
>he calms down a bit
>it dosent change the fact that everything he says is like a vocal slap in the face

Total number of posts: 54, last modified on: Tue Jan 1 00:00:00 1559887067

This thread is permanently archived