danger/u/
(Bar) The midnight drifter

| >The night was young, the bars full, yet somehow the drifter enjoyed an empty night for once, being far away from the turmoil of the main streets.
>Emily wasn't the one behind the counter tonight though, instead it was a single girl with short-ish shoulder lenght white hair and dull red eyes.
>She was wearing a bar tender uniform along with a loose red tie, the name plate on her shirt read "Ele"
>She sighed loudly, noticing how empty it was
"I'm bored outta my mind here..."


| "Emily! I'm b—"

> A loud feminine voice enters after a figure walks into the bar. The voice stops as soon as the figure sees the bartender.

"A-ah... Sorry."

> The figure itself is that of a lady. Modestly long hair, one glowing eye, and a suit to complete her appearance. She nervously smiled, taking a seat quickly after being aware of her mistake.

"I-I'll get an, uhm.. a Ragnarok, please."


| >A small girl enters the bar, dressed in only a swimsuit and a sweet pair of shades
>She's at most 135cm tall, and has waist long blond hair
"Yo, yo, yo, gamers. Alice here."
>She sits at the bar
"Gimme a Godfather and a straight shot of Whisky to wash that fire down with acid."


| >>536034
"Oh, friend of Emi? She's out right now"
>'Ele' Says, her voice is cute, but somewhat gruff
"I'll get on that uh..."
>She takes the drink's components from under the bar
>>536041
"Hell- What's up with the outfit?"
>She asks Alice


| >>536045
"Huh? Isn't this one good swimsuit, I know it's not typical winter wear, but I was never one for typical. Hahahaha!"
>She begins laughing loudly
"To be honest, it's not risqué enough for me... But it will make the guys salivate, and that's all I need."
>She lifts her shades and winks, her eyes are a clear cyan


| >>536052
> The suited lady peeks at Alice's appearance; brewing in her is the look of disapproval.

"Are you sure showing this much skin is helping in your task to capture male hearts?"

> There was a long hum she made, in which she paid no attention to anything particular.

"I'm not one say, though. I have never had an interest for trivial manners like that. Don't let my words be made as criticism."


| > A Hooded man walks in to the bar, smoke coming from the inside of the hood.
"One Whiskey, please and thank you."
> The hood comes off, and the smoke clears, quite obviously coming from a vape pen. As everything clears, some patrons recognise it as John, who takes a seat at the bar.

>>536052
"Did anyone ever teach you any decency?"


| >>536076
"Thanks for the comment, Miss. Any input counts in the long run."
>She chuckles
>>536145
"My father tried, but coming from a guy who wears a mask and a wig all the time, it wasn't convincing."
>She taps the counter with two fingers
"And really, does it matter what people wear? Humans really are too concerned about appearances."


| >>536154
"Humans are, but for a good reason."

> The lady winked, turning to the new patron before completing what she is hinting at.

>>536145
"How is that game of tag doing for you?"

> She said in a colloquial voice; not low, not hiding secrecy. She spoke as is.

"I hope she isn't giving you any troubles."


| >>536145
"Ayo-"
>The girl behind the bar says with a nod, squinting her eyes at John
"Don't I know you... forget that actually"
>She mumbles before putting down a glass of a whisky in front of him and a Ragnarok in front of >>536154


| > The lady in suit gave a compliant giggle, waving at the bartender as she watches the glass placement.

"That is my order, you are misplacing, 'Tender."

> Ending her short fit of emotion, she exhaled a breath.

"Long day, hmm?"


| >>536198
>The girl looks up and sighs
"I'm sorry, it's been a long day indeed"
>She scratches her bandaged cheek
"I'm not used to working here, i'm only doing Emily a favor... for old time's sake"


| >>536211
"For auld lang syne. A favourable reason."

> The lady nodded, approving of something in her own sentence. There is a short smile made on her face.

"How strange; I can't help but see you as Emily. Maybe a more petite one? No, that will be rude to assume. I never measured either of you."


| >>536223
"Well... the bandages dont help the difference I guess"
>The girl says
"I Don't usually wear these though, I just got... injured recently"


| >


| >A masked guy enter the bar. Far from being tall, you can say a solid 5'4, he walked strangely fast for someone of his height. All in black, the only thing you can see of him are his eyes, an incredible blue. He walks up to the bar.
"Do you know where I can get a contract, 'lady?"
>He says simply


| "Erm...where the fuck is Emily?"
>He says, as he realizes to who he's talking to


| >>536243
"She's out running a few errands, she'll be back later"
>The bandaged tender says with a neutral expression
>>536240
"huh, This isnt a shadow web bar nor a shadowrun hangout, but I can get you a drink if that also works"
>She eyes the man suspiciously


| "Hmmm. Alright then. Gimme something."
>Shrugs the man.
"Someone interresting might come later"


| >>536252
"Sure thing"
>She hands you a dark drink, it smells very strongly of alcohol
"I hope you like it"


| >>536154
"It's all about scope. Because all you look like to me is a desperate hooker."

>>536164
"She's trouble alright. I've been trying to deal with people in a... non-lethal way, but maiming is really the only way to keep them away, for now."
>John sighs, not happy with his situation, or his solution.
"They keep raising the bounty. It's at 11 now."


| >>536335
> The lady chuckles, hearing John's words gave her a look of relief. She did her first sip off of the drink served to her.

"When money is concerned, I don't think they will take a break…"

> In her brief pause, she glints at John.

"…Wishing for that sources doubt; whereunto I can only hope you a good luck."

> She darts a quick, hearty smile — shortly before covering it with her hand.

"Be it as it may; I hope it resolves swiftly with your victory attained."


| "Thanks for the drink"
>The short man turns to the table behind as he takes a sip.
"Well, if you want to deal with them in a "very letal" way, gimme a call. The name's O-Barr."
>He says to the named John


| >>536344
"No such thing as a victor in this situation. Only a lesser loser."

>John mulls his words down with whiskey.

>>536347

"O-Barr?"
>John puts his hand in to his jacket.
"That's... good to know, but I'd rather keep the bodycount low. Makes me less of a serial killer in the GCPD's Eyes. Optics and all that."


| >>536383
"That is the definition of a victor."

> The lady reply came as fast as her next gulp of the drink. Having downed half the glass, she traces the edges of the container with no intent.

"I want to offer help, but what can a broken goddess do in face of complicated plots? I have learnt; this stage is not for me."


| "Hmmm. You don't actually need to put your name on the front line, y'know? All I'm sayin is that there's a way to end this without you taking the blame. Well, in the end it's still your choice."
>O-Barr takes a bug gulp of his drink. He then turns to the woman.
"A broken goddess, huh? That must be a pretty damn good story. Another drink please. With less alcohol."


| >>536414
"That was, uhm—"

> Although she seemed to have found an answer, she stutters here and there. Unable to speak out the proper word, she goes back to humming for an answer.

"—Ah, uhm. A figure of speech! Yes, that's what that was. Apologies for the disappointment."


| >The small girl in her sw- no, she's dressed in a proper gothic dress now, when did she change?
>Alice chuckles
"A figure of speech, eh? I suppose you'd call it that."
>She eyes O-Barr and sighs


| "Shame. Does anybody have a good story to tell?"
>O-Barr responds, still waiting for his drink


| >>536439
"Stories come and go, is what I was told by Emily, not many can share them all that easily"
>Ele says to O-barr with a soft expression as she turns to John
"Sounds like you're in a world of trouble mister, so long as that doesnt follow you in here I guess"


| "Too bad for the stories."
>O-Barr then turns his attention back to the man
"Excuse me sir but I didn't got your name back then. What was it again?"


| >>536414 >>536482
"Unless you can pretend to be me, there's not much in ways of help. The name's John."
>John takes another sip, turning to the woman.

>>536417
"Broken speech from a broken goddess. You really need to get that checked out."
>John lets out a small chuckle.

>>536477
"Don't worry ma'am, I'm already out of your hair. Can't stay for much longer anyway."
>John pulls out a cred stick, leaving it next to his empty glass.
"I'll be seeing you people around, alright?"


| >>536618
"The next drink better be my treat."

> The lady says, shortly waving to John with an empty glass in her other hand.

"Be wary, always. I put trust in you; don't be forlorn."


| >>536618
"That's not what I m- ... Have good night then mister John"
>The girl says, looking like she wanted to say something, but letting it go


| >random background character steps in
sup.
>the guy is drunk
>goes away


| >>536762
"Don't sweat it. The longer I stay, the more of them will come."
>John says at the door, leaning on the door frame, slipping something in to his shoe.
"I'd give it 30 minutes."


| >>536816
"Have good night then"
>She says with a small wave
"Always such a troublesome man, ain't he"
>She mumbles before turning to the other customers


| >>536968
"A nice source of story. He is peculiar with all his troubles—"

> The lady smiled, pushing the empty glass to signal a refill.

"I will have another serving. I have been yearning for the taste of this, and one satiates very few of me."


| >A tall, slender man approaches the doorway of the bar, hesitantly peering inside before stepping over the threshold. As he walks across the bar floor towards the counter, an odd clicking noise can be heard. If one were to look closely at him in the dim lighting of the bar, they might first notice that his gait is a little stiff-- and moments later they might notice the archaic looking exoskeleton encircling his waist and framing his legs. Otherwise, he looks rather plain.


| >>536985
"Aye aye, you got it"
>The tender serves another Ragnarok to her
>>537409
>Ele raises an eyebrow at the exo skeleton wearing man
"Welcome to the drifter, what can I serve you"


| >>537644
>The man struggles to get onto one of the bar stools, legs apparently not as under his control as he'd like. Once situated he looks up at Ele, appearing slightly confused.
"You said 'the drifter'-- this is the Midnight Drifter bar, right? There's an Emily that works here?"
>He seems a little clueless. He looks from patron to patron carefully, scrutinizing each of them, then turns back to Ele.
"Is that you?"
>This guy... can't really read an atmosphere.


| >>537910
"Are you looking for me?"

> One of the patron instead answered in the bartender's place. She held her newly served Ragnarok close, but not enough to have it in her mouth.

"The 'Tender there has a means of identification. See? 'Ele.'"

> She points to the name plate, hoping for the man to also see it.

"With that said; Emily is away."


| >>537923
>The man turns to the patron who's answered his query, and his speech takes on an apologetic and embarrassed tone.
"No... I don't think I know you, sorry."
>He becomes quiet and looks down at the counter for a moment. A few seconds pass before he sighs and closes his eyes, shakes his head, and murmurs to himself:
"Oh, that's right..."
>He turns his focus back to the woman with the Ragnarok.
"Thanks for clearing things up..."
>He trails off, not knowing what else to say.


| >>537932
"Well if you want you can leave anything you wanted to ask Emily with m-"

>The tender starts saying before a door is heard closing in the backstore, along with a cute yelp and footsteps
>Soon a taller girl errupts from the backstore, her face red and her hand stroking her head
>she's wearing cute baggy clothes and a pretty rose patterned eyepatch
>Its Emily!
"Owww, I should really fix that..."
>She says with a seepish smile, before looking at Ele
"Thanks Eleanore!"


| >They really do look alike, almost like sisters
>Ele, or Eleanore sighs
"Dont use my name so casually Emi"
>She points to the customers
"Ill be gone now, see you later"
>She goes the way Emily arrived by and you can hear a thunk along with a cry 'Ouchie!'

"I really should fix that yeah"
>Emily nods and looks at Uni, O-barr and the last man
"Sorry about that, I was out in town!"


| "It may sound bizarre, but welcome back!"

> Uni, the lady with the Ragnarok, lifts her drink as though a celebration for the occasion.

"The last 'tender, Ele, was it? She has it in her. May want a tinge of attention training, but she has talents."

> She puts on a short smile, yet once more taking a sip from her drink.



| >>538076
>As the bartenders trade places with one another, the man looks even more puzzled-- though very shortly a look of recognition dawns on his face. He smiles, relieved.
"Please, don't apologize! I'm sure you have your own life outside this bar."
>The man starts to fumble with the jacket he's wearing, haphazardly going through the many pockets hidden in its lining.
"I just wanted to ask you something, and thank you for something else."


| >>538082
"Oh hi Uni! As for her, well she's an old friend... or I think she considers me a friend? she's a weird one"
>Emily says with a wry smile
>>538102
"Thank me? Thats a rare occurence, I can't say I remember doing something that was worth it"
>She smiles nevertheless


| >>538163
>The man finishes rummaging through his backpack and produces a picture ID, which he then flashes at Emily. The image on the card is... clearly not of him: instead it shows a portrait of a short-haired brunette woman in her late twenties, clad in a simple uniform. The watermark over the image resembles the NSFMC logo.
"You helped save her life. I'd say that's worth it."
>He moves his thumb across the plastic, exposing the name on the ID: "Aikawa Ei".
"I'm Roy."


| >*rummaging through his jacket, not his backpack


| >>538420
"Oh! Aikawa is it?"
>Emily beams a wide smile, maybe it's the different outfit but she's really cute today
"And don't worry about it! I just did the sensible thing"


| >>538518
>Roy can't help but smile back-- that grin of hers is infectious. He tucks Aikawa's work badge back into one of the pockets of his jacket.
"Yes, that's her. Thank you for directing me towards the hospital she's been admitted to, as well. Though, if you hadn't told me... I probably would have found out one way or another."
>His smile goes from being cheerful to looking as if the bottom could drop out of it any second.
"I don't just live with her; I work with her, too."


| >Impulse walks into the bar,he is wearing heavier set of gear today,like his normal gear isn't enough for him to survive a shotgun blast to the head,he also carry a new set of backpacks instead of the usual duffle
>He walks up to the counter
"One gut punch please"


| >>538729
>Roy stares as Impulse heads over to the bar counter, apprehensive about the interaction that is about to take place. A "gut punch"?? Is this guy looking to test the durability of his many layers of riot gear? What's going to happen to that poor 'tender's hand once it hits that Kevlar that's been reenforced with god-knows-what? What's in all the bags? Is this why Ei likes this place??
"......."
>Without realizing it, Roy has started holding his breath in anticipation.


| >>538773
> Uni notices, after taking in her Ragnarok, the unease in the man's face. She opened her mouth to speak, but no words were uttered — at least until a long pause and another sip.

"You tell a good story, but nothing speaks louder in a bar than having a glass of something."

> She said; almost like a true alcoholic at that.

"—Ah, of course, this is only a suggestion. Let's say, a 'thank you' for Emily, yes?"


| >>538796
>Impulse smile,although you doesn't notice it due to a balaclava covering his face
"I usually say the "Thank you" after someone handed me something,but I will take that into consideration,thank you. I guess the way I speak is too vague,I will also try to fix that"
>Impulse towards Emily
"May I have a glass of gut punch,please,thank you"

>>538773
>Impulse say,as though he can read your mind
"Gut punch is a drink,in case you think it's something else for whatever reason"


| >>538773
"By the way,the name's Impulse,glad to see some new faces in the bar"
>Impulse say further,he leave his assualt backpack on the floor next to him,the way it hit the ground suggest that it is empty,he also take his rifle,a VSS Vintorez with a PSO-1 scope attached,slinged over his shoulder down and put it next to the backpack near him,although he keep all the armor and rig on,along with his holstered P226R pistol


| >>538799
"Ah—… I wasn't—"

> Noticing something, Uni stopped her words dead on and returned a smile instead.

"You're welcome. Cheers!"

> She lifted her drink, a sign of salute for a fellow patron, it seems.


| >>538796
>Roy snaps out of it a little and inhales sharply as he turns his attention to Uni. Her suggestion gives him pause-- he's not allowed caffeine because of his job, and not really allowed alcohol because of his legs, but... why come to a bar if you aren't going to drink?
"You're right. Emily, may I have... one of your weaker drinks on the menu? I don't get out to bars much."
>Clearly, since he thought Impulse was requesting that Emily haul off and deck him.


| >>538806
>Roy attempts to shift in his seat in order to face Impulse, but his exoskeleton catches on the chair and he loses his balance, hitting his forearm off the bar counter as he tries to break his fall. He manages to right himself again and sits up, rubbing his injured arm.
"Nice to meet you. I believe you also played a part in taking care of Ei? Your name is familiar."


| >A man in a suit and detective's overcoat enters the bar, his face tense and angry, mumbling to himself.

"This must be the place."

>He approaches the the Bar, leaning on it with his elbows, eyes trained on the bartender.

"Excuse me bartender, but do you know this man?"

>He gets his phone out of his coat, showing the screen of the phone to the bartender.

>It is a photo of John "Anomeat" Doe, but much younger, by maybe 10 or 5 years.


| >>538989
"That is a very cute picture of him."

> One of the patron from a not-too-far distance can be seen eyeing the picture. Her glowing left eye must have assisted in zooming and enhancing.

"You and I; our blood sport is the same."

> She sips her drink, not at all smiling nor putting much expression.


| >>538891
"Of course!"
>Emily prepares a small sugar rush

>>538989
>Emily takes a closer look and then shakes her head
"I don't know who that is, but he's a cute one isnt he?"
>Emily says with a smile


| >>538900
"I just gave her the nitro,that's all,although she overdosed it for some reason. I guess,I'm kind of guilty to not give her the correct dose instead of tossing her the entire bottle"
>Impulse explain,he is not taking out his magazines and loading it with bullets


| >>539062
"May I have a gut punch please,thanks"
>Impulse repeat,in case she hasn't heard him the first time


| >>539063
>Roy feels a nice wave of secondhand embarrassment wash over him as Impulse recounts his roommate's actions during her last visit to the bar.
"Ah, I... wouldn't be so quick to blame yourself."
>He struggles with finding a nice way of saying 'she's an idiot, but she's a smart idiot.'
"Ei knows how that drug works-- she knows >>>exactly how much you're supposed to take of it and>>>how to take it."
>He sighs, feeling himself getting frustrated with her all over again.


| >>539071
"So... that overdose was a very conscious and... very reckless decision made on her part."
>Roy's confusion and concern about her motivation for doing so gradually becomes visible on his face.
"... I just wish I knew why she did it. I wish she could tell me why."


| >>539077
>Impulse finish loading his magazine and put it in his vest
"She does say something about someone trying to find her or something,don't really remember much"


| >>539079
>Roy absentmindedly runs his fingers over the grooves of the frame on his legs while he speaks.
"... Yeah. I don't know who that is, or what that means. Ei has said some weird stuff like that while she's been in the hospital, too-- it's actually a part of why I'm here. They won't discharge her until they have more information about what happened that night... They want to know if she's telling the truth."



| >>539062
"Uh... yeah, sure. Thanks for your help."

>The stranger looses composition for a second, thrown off by Emily's response.

>>539011
"Of him? Do you know who he is?"

>He turns to Uni, curious as to what she has to say.


| >>539089
"Of course! Twelve million, was it? Regardless, what a frivolous number."

> She spoke with attention away from the man, but her glances often land on him.

"Although, I suppose it is much of the same, no matter the number."


| >>539089
"Pretty sure one of my guys spot him near a food stand the other day,didn't know for sure though"
>Impulse join in on the conversation


| >>539135 >>539108
"Just more reports of sightings of him. He's all over town, but I know I'm on his trail."

>The suit sighs, ready to give up...
"Well, I'm not getting closer. Bartender, on gut punch please?"

>As the guy orders his drink, you may notice some gangers peering thought to the inside, looking for someone.


| >>539284
"You won't find him by breadcrumbs. I say, your luck is best served with a bigger net—"

> Catching the sound of an open entrance, Uni turns to see the new fellows, though she was quick to return to the conversation.

"Quite the people we have here."


| "We do have a lot of people here"
>Impulse agree after he sees the people coming in


| >Roy quietly listens in on the conversation between Uni and this suit with the photo of the young man (whom Roy now thinks is some kind of cat burglar based on Uni's "12 million" remark). Movement outside one of the bar's windows and in the doorway also catches his eye.
>>539284
"Did you happen to bring friends with you?"


| >>539294
"It's working so far. I'm closer than I ever was."

>The suit looks behinds him, at the gangers.

>>539331 >>539373
"They are friends alright."

>The suit makes a circling gesture, making the gangers dissipate.

"I'll pass on the gut punch, seems there's another lead."

>The Suit gets up, getting ready to go, as last of the gangers leave.


| >>539802
"Ah, would it be true that the bounty ends with this lead? I hope not."

> Uni responds. Her voice left a playful tone, swept underneath her words.

"Godspeed to your search."

> She promptly goes back to her drink, seemingly minding very little of what had happened.


| >>539802 >>539806
>Roy raises an eyebrow as the suit scatters the gangers with a simple motion of his wrist. Neat. This is definitely getting interesting. He decides, like Uni, to wish the man well:
"Yeah, best of luck."
>He gives a little wave as the man prepares to head out.


| "And if you do run in to him, don't be afraid to call me. Because I have a feeling you do so often."

>The suit slides a card in Uni's direction, before leaving.

>The card itself is embossed with "Shin Bet", and a phone number.

"Ask for 045."


| >>539066
"Surely, as usual am I right?"
>Emily chuckles

>>539847
"What an odd man, I'm not quite used to dealing with suits or corps, one of the perks of being a small establishment I guess"
>Emily cocks an eyebrow as the man leaves and then sighs
"I see he has put himself in trouble again, how some men never change"


| >>539896
>Roy looks at Emily and then Uni, both of whom have a much better idea of what just transpired than he does.
"I beg your pardon, but... what happened just now? Who was the person in the picture?"
>It then occurs to Roy that both Emily and Uni spoke about the photo's subject with an air of familiarity.
"Do you both know him from somewhere?"


| >>539847
> Uni takes the card, glancing at it before pocketing it to her own suit.

>>539906
"He simply is a man. One with a very high bounty to his head. However, I trust that is not the answer to your questions."

> She turns to Roy, facing him after a short sighing. Visible now is her expression; weary and tired, but with a sincere smile.

"—To say that I am not worried about him is lying. He is a friend. A good one. I owe him a life; and now he is out with his life at risk."


| >>539896
"Thank you"

>>539906
"I think he's a weaponsmith,just like me,he seemed a decent man"
>Impulse say


| >>539979 >>540091
>Roy nods, apparently satisfied with these explanations and not wanting for more info.
"Good person in a bad situation? Or something else?"
>He turns to Uni and glances over his shoulder quickly at Emily to check on his Sugar Rush-- he isn't in any hurry, but he's admittedly curious as to how it'll taste given its... unique neon coloring. He hasn't had a drink in years.
"Will you help him? Or is he on his own this time around?"


| >>540103
"He is never on his own. I trust that much from him."

> Uni's reply was brisk, owing to her lack of pause that she only added after her words were fluttering out.

"He may refuse help — but I am one to insist."


| >>540106
>Roy decides not to press any further due to Uni's rather glib response. Although the motivation behind his curiosity is harmless, others might not read it as such.
"With the amount of trouble he seems to get in, he's lucky to have someone like you on his side."
>He grins. His expression rapidly transitions to one of shock and surprise as a loud and very annoying beeping sounds from somewhere within his jacket.
"Ah, excuse me--"
He again starts digging through his pockets.


| >Impulse take out a sheet of cloth to cover the table. He then take the rifle by his bag and put it on the sheet. He check the gun if it is on safety,which it is and unload the magazine from it. He pull back the charging handle and the chambered bullet fly out from the chamber. He catch it and slide it back into the magazine and set the magazine aside. He then start taking apart the gun and cleaning it with some kit from his backpack


| >>540106
>Emily smiles at Uni and nods
"I Hope he'll learn to depend on others more, I'm sure some people would help him"


| >>540216
"That is out of his character—"

> Uni let loose a sweet giggle, relieving her from much of her twining melancholy — or so is what she shows.

"Wherefore his journey is, or what goals he is achieving next — I for sure know of his reluctance to ask help — but, if I were him, I'm sure too, I won't put forth a call for help."

> She continues, albeit slowly.

"How do I put it—… the protagonist always have victories they gain through solitude, earned by support of others."


| >>540191
>The beeping continues as Roy divests each pocket of its contents and deposits them on the counter. Keys, a phone, a wallet... He practically rips the offending item out of his jacket lining once he finds it and quickly brings it to eye level. It's about half the size of a deck of cards and made of gray plastic, with a narrow display across one side. It looks like it's been dropped or stepped on a few times. He clicks a button on the top, and it ceases shrieking.


| >>540361
>Glad to be rid of the noise, Roy gently places the device on the top of his pile of belongings, and picks up his phone.
>>540273
"... that was very well-phrased. Very eloquent for someone a few drinks in."
>He looks back from Uni down to his phone, swipes across the screen, and starts a phone call that he hopes will be brief. He lowers his voice and turns away from the other patrons.
"This is Roy; I'm returning a page?"
>That thing's a pager? What's this guy's deal??


| >>540364
"T-thank you, that's, uhm—… that's probably the drink talking!"

> She seemed flustered, but there's knowing from her face; now hidden by the two hands covering it — not realising Roy scooting away to take the call.

"—Hmm? Page? What page are you returning?"

> A peek later, and she was livid from her mistake. A resulting large, imminent gulp empties her glass.


| >>540373
>Roy hears her question and raises the index finger of the hand not holding the phone, gesturing to Uni as if to say "just a minute."
"No, I'm not on call tonight. I'd better not be-- who told you that?"
>He goes back and forth quietly with whomever is on the other end of the phone, maintaining a pretty civil tone throughout.
"I'm sorry, I'd pick up if I could, but I'm in the middle of something..."
>He looks guilty, and seems as if he's having trouble giving a firm "no".


|


| >>540392
>As the conversation nears its end, Roy can be heard offering several more apologies to whomever he's talking with. Before hanging up, he asks the caller one last thing:
"Hey, how's she doing?"
>There's a pause as he gets his answer. He sighs, and something that's not quite a smile and not quite a frown flickers across his face.
"Okay, thanks. She might be able to explain how to use that equipment if she's feeling well right now. Don't push her too hard."
>He disconnects.


| >>540441
"I'm guessing that's about Aikawa,how is she"
>Impulse ask Roy as soon as Roy hang up


| >>540445
"Well, the last bit was about her... the original page was my coworkers begging me to come in tonight."
>Roy slowly starts to put his personal effects back in his jacket.
"She's recovering really well actually. She's just... very pissed at me. She won't let me visit her as of late-- she keeps saying all of these weird things, and thinks I'm lying to her about what happened the night she was admitted."


| >>540450
"How peculiar..."
>Impulse finish cleaning his rifle and start putting the pieces back together


| >>540512
"I'll say. She says I commed her that night and told her someone broke into our apartment."
>Roy murmurs to himself, starting to turn the whole situation over in his head again.
"The apartment's fine. Something in her head is-- or was-- off. They can't tell if it's something psychological, something related to her augs, or if someone >>>did really call her... so that's why I'm here. I'm trying to get some outside accounts of what happened."
>He looks a little defeated.


| >>540512
>Roy watches Impulse clean and reassemble his gun.
"... what was it you said you do again? You're a machinist?"


| >>540938
"Most people call me weaponsmith,but that wouldn't really be true because I also mess with combat gear,attachments, medical kit,and stuff like that too."
>Impulse finish reassemble the gun. He put the magazine back into its magazine well and chamber the first round. He put the gun on safety and put it back beside the backpack


| >>540624
"Wait"
>Emily suddenly jerks at the words Roy says, she seems puzzled
"Roy, you're sure you didnt phone her that night? Aikawa did receive a call from a so-called roommate that night, and it was after the call that she started freaking out, I didnt see all of it, since I was busy with customers, but a regular called Falschen and another called Oenone can vouch for me that its what went down"
>She seems extremely serious now


| >>541030
>Roy is startled by Emily's response, not expecting to hear someone other than Aikawa attest to him making a call that never happened to report a break-in that was equally false. His demeanor darkens as he turns to Emily.
"I tried to call her on her cell a few times-- I couldn't comm her because she was offline-- but the only answer I got was a quick 'can't talk now' text. I never spoke to her."


| >>541030
>He shifts uncomfortably in his seat, feeling himself growing tense. The easy going, slightly air-headed man who walked into the bar seems to have faded away, and in his place has materialized someone a bit more hardened.
"I need to talk to these two people, for her sake. I need to prove her right..."
>He shakes his head and frowns deeply.
"I feel terrible."


| Hello


| >>541121
"Well, Falschen comes around sometimes, as for Oneone you might want to contact her using that huh, text board thingy?"
>Emily says with a frown
"She spent the night talking to Aikawa so she ought to know more"
>She explains


| >>541385
>Roy nods emphatically, and makes a mental note to both reach out to these people AND to get their names right when doing so. His lack of eye for details certainly didn't aid him in helping Aikawa the first time he attempted to intervene.
"Okay, that sounds like a plan. Thank you, Emily... let's have that drink you were making for me, and when I finish it I can order a second as another way to show my appreciation."
>He turns, and winks at Uni.
"Right?"


| >Impulse drink half of his gut punch before start working on cleaning his pistol. He unload the pistol and take out the chambered round as before and start field stripping it.


| >>541532
> Uni is seen busy with her phone. The tiny thing taps loudly with its rows of keys; only ending after she flips it, closing its screen. She catches glimpse of the wink, nodding to its instance.

"I heard 'text board thingy' — if you need assistance with searching and finding there, have at it on me! Your story fascinates me, I want to see its chapter's closure."

> She strikes a smile that quickly diminishes as she opens her phone again.


| >>541537
>Roy's expression softens a little, and he manages a small smile. That's why Ei likes it here.... this bar must put her at ease-- frequented by helpful strangers with (seemingly) decent moral compasses.
"I'll take whatever help I can get. I am... not very good at using the text board."
>Uni's continued use of kind of "flowery" speech does not go unnoticed, and Roy remarks on it again:
"Seriously though, are you a thespian or something? A poet? Writer?"


| >Impulse finish cleaning his pistol and finish the rest of his gut punch. He put the pistol back together,load it and put it on safety,the put it back into his holster
>>541385
"Can I have another glass of gut punch please"
>Impulse say
>>541539 >>541537
"You kniw what? I'm feeling good today,how about let me pay for both of you guys drinks?"


| (*know,typo
-Impulse)


| >>541540
"I may have the greatest luck, but it comes at a form I prefer not to experience. Thank you for the offer, but I'm not letting another person pay for what I drank. Again."

> Uni said, trying her best to politely decline with gestures to match.


| >>541539
> Hearing this, Uni smiled. A broad one; a smile showing pure, raw optimism. She puts her right hand on her face, covering one her left eye.

"—A favourable question, Dear—"

> The atmosphere around her felt shifted, tilted to show grandiose. Her smile paints one word: 'Dramatise!'

"We are Uni!"

> She pulls her hand from her face; in a quick motion as though releasing a curtain. The eye once covered shows a radiant blue now.

"—The Patron Goddess of Glitch City!"


| > She ends her small show with a giggle. The change in atmosphere was quickly reverted by her returning lax self.

"Or so they say! I am a writer by day, a poet at evenfall, and everything else at night. Pleasure meeting you."


| >>541540
>Roy allows himself to gracefully accept Impulse's offer, under the condition that he'll have Ei drag him back here to return the favor as soon as she's discharged.
"As long as it's okay with Emily! Thanks, Impulse."
>His smile brightens a little.


| >>541561 >>541562
>As Uni finishes her split second monologue, Roy suddenly feels himself beginning to blush for a reason he absolutely cannot discern. Before he knows it, he's giving her quiet applause, clapping his hands together in astonishment.
"Wow! That was-- I'm really-- w-wait--"
>Something Uni said runs through his head again.
"You said 'we'?"
>He's clearly dumbfounded.
"Is that supposed to be the royal 'we'?"
>As he says this, he imitates a little queen's wave.


| >>541610
"Oh, indeed! That is most unexpected, to hear a few recognise the pattern. I applaud you."

> Uni nods, forming a tone that sounds like a proud parent.


| >>541622
>Rarely does Roy run into such interesting characters in his day to day life-- at least, not people who are genuinely this entertaining and enthusiastic. Most of the people he meets that are like this he meets at work, and usually they're all absolutely high out of their fucking minds on something. This is nice.
"So, you do this full time? Is there a venue you showcase your work at?"


| ((question: how does Uni pronounce her name? "Uni" as in "universe" or "uni" as in the Japanese word for sea urchin?))


| >>541626
"I don't. It saddens me, but writing pays very little in Glitch City. Professionally, I am a ghostwriter; however it may be, the occupation fares zenny better than storytelling."

> Uni spoke, often glancing to the already-empty glass she holds. Once she becomes aware of its content, or lack thereof, she let the glass by itself to be picked by the bartender.

"—Though, of course — I do more than words."


| >>541628
(She pronounces it closer to 'Universe' or 'Unity' — but I doubt she minds being called with the latter.)


| >>541640
((gotcha!))
>>541636
"A mixed-media sort of thing, huh? I didn't know GC was home to such an artiste..."
>He notices her pushing her glass towards Emily yet again, and is a bit concerned about the fact that she may be looking for a refill.
"Um... I'm sure goddesses can hold their liquor, but... are you really going to be okay if you have >>>another one of those?"


| >>541649
"—Emily here, she may have a different take on the drink. The previous 'tender may have done well, but only through this take I can see the difference. Taste, perhaps — not see."

> She put forth her reasoning, which still sounds as though she is justifying for light alcoholism, but her voice disregards any doubts anyone might have from answer.

"Ragnarok is, after all, one and only!"


| >>541652
>Roy nods, equal parts puzzled and mystified by Uni's demeanor. Aikawa would 100% get fed up with her or call her words "pretentious and heady bullshit," and then it'd be his job to both reign Ei in and soothe hurt feelings. He's surprised to find himself a little relieved that she isn't here. Uni's company is enjoyable.
"If you say so."
>>541385
>He looks at Emily, and addresses her politely:
"I think I'm about ready to try what you've concocted for me, 'tender."


| >>541636
"What do you mean when you say 'more than words,' exactly?"
>Roy is historically not the creative type, and so he's always been interested in people who are a little more 'right brained' than he is.

Total number of posts: 127, last modified on: Tue Jan 1 00:00:00 1553372318

Refresh