danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
(OOC) Policy Changes Being Considered
##Janitor:Stormy##

| Hi everyone, regarding the recent threads that have been posted, I am considering making the following changes to the board's structure.

1) Restrictions on ARG's/Quest Threads/Campaigns.

This has been a point of concern for some time, mostly regarding issues of metagaming/player interaction/and participation. /cyb/ has generally been very freeform regarding its lore and major events, leading to a very eclectic and sometimes slapstick history over the past year and a half since the board became a roleplaying center.

However, because of consistency issues including but not limited to metagaming, gary stu/mary sue creation, arms races, and powergaming, I am considering restricting any future major events to an approval only basis. This leads to:

2) Restrictions on the creation or use or corporations, armies, nations, super powered beings, PMC'e, et al.

Our current system is to use a "bigger fish" method to keep "power levels" in check, along with the assumption that players would self regulate and stay within lines of what already exists/has already happened.

However, this relies on the entities in question being available, as they are entirely player run. Because a variety of people use /cyb/, timezone issues create consistency problems unless players agree to wait, which several users have not respected.

Lastly,

3) Prohibiting Setting Threads.

/cyb/ is an in universe messageboard first and foremost, and setting threads were originally began as a way to interact "in person" so to speak. However, they have been repeatedly abused despite multiple reminders to not create settings for mundane or otherwise pointless interactions that could be completed with a sentence.

Furthermore, because they are more "personal," not every user visiting /cyb/ is willing to join them, causing a dearth of unused threads, or worse: threads that are only populated by one or two people. We have repeated this time and time again: Switch to Discord for personal roleplays. The point of having regular threads is so that even non roleplayers can pretend that they live in this thoroughly dystopic world. If this is taken from them, they will simply ignore the board.

We have only have one textboard and the hope was that a balance could be maintained, by the users, so that additional regulation isn't necessary. But the same issues continue to be created by the same people, time and time again. /cyb/ is *not* a zone for mastubatory fantasies.

If you cannot roleplay outside causing pointless fights with unnamed terrorists, blowing up buildings every day of the week, or by being an untouchable CEO of a world spanning megacorp with zero points of failure, This is not the community for you.

These points are not up for a vote: I'm just letting the community know what my current thoughts on the matter are, with appropriate actions to be taken in the future.

| I can't agree more with the new rules/policies here. I'm not innocent here of course; I have done lots that violated these new rules, but I still wholly support the stricter (but more managed) structure.

I hope that these can bring out a better RP (and community) in general. -Uni

| >>423188

They're not new rules -yet-, but I'm strongly considering making them so.

| >>423194
Preemptively calling them rules then. Would this thread be pinned? It seems important enough in my opinion.

| >>423199

Yeah, might as well.

| What about the open settings, like bars or the december riot events?

| >>423250

Not sure yet.

| >>423251
Please, consider keeping those, they give that nice "real place with real people" vibe to the board, and especially the bar threads help the rplayers to know each other's character better

| Rip Impulse.
F

| So, two main points i agree with.
>excessive powergaming should be prohibited.

>no more "2 man" setting thread, but leave open settings like bars etc.

| rip halloween party
F

| Hm. what about birthday parties and the like?

| i'm not stormy so my word isn't final or even to be quoted but considering they can be considered open settings i think they're fine -archarin

| And an Amen from me, I would love those new rules

Most of the problems originate, in my eyes from useless settings populated by single characters, or simple and plain powergaming

I hope this can lead to new developments for my ARG, and for Cyb!
-Hige Sainenshō

| I agree to this

Just hope i didn't/won't breach any of these rules to bad.

Wait, *did* i break the rules in any way?
>morphine

| Rip Penguin

| penguin died when they were airlifted out and took a vacation in the artic along with santa

| Good to know

-Arable

| I agree with the new soon-to-be rules and confess to making conversation settings.
-M3tro

| Im sorry for violating these rules.I will try to keep the actions in the discord platform in the future.I would try to make a server,at least try.Im not really used to discord platform just yet
-Impulse

| Is there any /cyb/ discord server?I can join?I would like to know before I start to make a server
-Impulse

| If there isn't a /cyb/ Discord Server, there can be.
>>cc75a4 I can help manage a server, if you are making one.
Perhaps we can even integrate the server channels into this one. :)

| Whoops, forgot to sign. :/
-Firox

| >>423406

Impulse, I think you would be better off just roleplaying in a Discord server only, and not here.

>>423433

There are several discords for each individual ARG. I am not interested in making a general one for /cyb/ at this time.

| >>423433
Created one,added an rpbot for dice rolls.Thats about it.Im not sure what to use it for,maybe for future ARG someone start.So I can add a channel for its action
-Impulse

| https://discord.gg/nCWrYa
Heres the link if anyone wanna join,maybe someone can help me with the server
-Impulse

| To be honest, I'm not sure about switching everything to Discord either. They're becoming increasingly shady and comparable to facebook, and I lament that its going to deprive people who want to remain anonymous out of a place to roleplay.

At the same time, the abuses listed above cannot be allowed to continue, because they'll kill this board eventually too.

So, I've decided on the following.

1) Bars can remain. Its fitting, given that this is a website for fans of VA-11, Hall-a, and they are the only distinctly truly open settings that I've seen everyone interact with.

2) Settings for mundane things like delivering items, unless they lead to a plot hook or quest, are prohibited. The actions should be resolved within the buy/sell post.

3) Settings that you do not intend to be accessible to more than a specific number of people, or only certain people, should not be posted. There are no closed settings. Any setting posted must be accessible or visitable by someone off the street.

4) Any roleplayer powergaming through the creation of megacorporations, superpowered characters, entire armies, et al will be forcibly nerfed, either through roleplay (bigger fish) or through retcon/moderation. You are expected to use good judgement to self-regulate to prevent this from happening.

5) ARG's may continue, but as above, ARG's found violating any of the above rules may be, at the mod team's discretion, retconned or nerfed.

These rules are actually not new- they've been around for sometime but are being formally restated.

| Woah, wasn't there an overall /cyb/ discord server? I'm no longer in it but I assumed I was kicked due to inactivity or something. Does it not exist anymore? -Trill

| There is not an overall /cyb/ Discord, instead there is an overall danger/u/ Discord that isn't related to roleplay at all, and multiple /cyb/ Discords with different purposes made by different people's ARG's or characters.

Most of the /cyb/ Discords are relatively closed groups that really only invite people relevant to their own purposes, such as if you have characters that are involved in the ARG 9r group of characters that Discord is centered around. To me its better this way-

| -because the sense of community that /cyb/ has is because of the anonymity of it, and I think /cyb/ is good and comfy and doesn't need a huge Discord for every person to be in.

Anyway, I agree with these new rules, I think they're good, and I think that implementing them will encourage people to >actually get involved in other people's stuff. We wouldn't need so many ARG Discords if people actually got involved in other people's events/ARGs. (Glances back at the last Race Riots..)

| I rather like these rules just one question before i potentially make a dum dum

Aside from bars are things like cafes or amusement parks allowed?
>morphine

| The messageboard type of roleplaying on /cyb/ is very unique and not commonly found elsewhere. If you just wanted any old in-person roleplay, you could find some by just looking them up. /cyb/ is special specifically because it is /cyb/, so let's not dilute /cyb/ into just any old roleplay, please? Not saying that all setting threads are bad, but saying that the emphasis should rightfully be on the messageboard threads in my honest opinion. Love you all!

-Pirat3

| >>423706

Those basically run the same way as bars, given that their very nature encourages people to mingle.

>>423698

You were part of an ARG discord actually, and a lot of inactives were purged during a scandal that we were trying to solve. :/ You're welcome to return if you like.

| >>423904
Ok thanks.

I have like 15 ish different ideas concerning those.
Most of them are already fleshed out.

...i just need to remember where i left the papers for them.....
..i am forgetful of things..
>morphine

| >>423904
Does some kind of shop count,and what about the zoo or the jurassic world thing I saw someone planned a while ago
>>423908
I would love to see an amusement park
-Impulse

| >>424126

There was a weapons store that suffered from the same issues earlier, so I would say no.

The Jurassic Park roleplayer was hoping to restart their questline, though.

| Good thread. Total Approval from me.
Question on Gold Knuckles though; I assume it is okay for him to still remain in the city as he is mostly used for "Mysterious and/or Supernatural" happenings in a sense.
(Granted, I've done little with him as of late and have been falling off because school/work/etc)

| Sounds great. Just a few questions I'd like to ask.

Are threads like the Radio threads allowed?

Is there anything against more "mundane" threads. They should still focus on something, but I really enjoy just putting myself into a cyberpunk setting and the occasional mundane-ness of a setting only increases the immersive-ness.

Also, who has the power (other than you) to make posts larger than 500 chars. Just noticed it in your post.

Thanks in advance

| >>424546
I've been wanting to ask these as well. I figured 'Livestreams' may fall into the same category as 'Radio' threads.

I guess because they bolster interaction, they should be allowed? I'm not too sure here. I'd love if someone could clarify on this. -Uni

| >>424550 Though Livestreams are more interactive, i think only Radios count, since they're just passive info you can read and walk away. Livestreams are more like conversation settings imo, and thats a no-go from now on. What'dya think?

| >M3tro

| >>424552
Makes sense, but both Livestreams and Radio have the same sort of sense to them. In Radio, you usually can call the hosts, and in Livestreams — depending on how it is, the streamer can respond to chats and requests.

And not to mention that not all Livestreams are in the same 'style', so to speak. Though I'm not quite talking about terminal streams here, I'm pointing more towards more 'mundane' streams. -Uni

| >>424563 Fair. Ban both and make a Radiostream discord server?
-M3

| >>424430

Gold Knuckles et al are still grandfathered in as before.

>>424546 >>424550 >>424552 >>424563 >>424570

Livestreams/Radio threads/and Terminals are not affected. These tend to be rare since only a few users make use of them, and they still operate the same way you'd expect them to work IRL- being discussable in a chatbox or being called using the phone system.

The main issue with the dearth of setting threads is that there were too many of them, to the point where some were barely used, and when they were used, only a couple people participated. Anyone can come across a livestream and comment on it, or screw around with terminal commands, or call a radio, but only some people can find a supposedly secret safehouse in the middle of podunk nowhere.

By "mundane" threads, do you mean mundane settings?

Also, only mods can use more than 500 characters per post.

| >>424624 Neato!
-M3

| Google Doc might be a viable temporary solution

| oh woops wrong thread disregard >>427098

| Just a suggestion, but wouldn't an IRC server fit more than a discord one?

| Can you post anonymously in IRC?

| Will jobs settings be alright if they include a high number of people?

| Yeah as long as they're open for anyone to join

| Can't we just make a separate board for the settings I quite enjoy reading this settings.

| The settings*

| >>429713

There are plans to make one, but they aren't very user friendly. Mostly for muh immersion.

>>453527

If you configure your settings correctly, yes.

>>458272

No. They must be open, regardless of whatever is going on.

Meaning if you're committing a crime, for example, random bystanders must be able to interfere.

>>460578

Our request for a sub board was denied.

| I meant, including of course the rule of settings being always open, will job settings be okay?

| >>460588
Well, immersion is one of the points of doing all of this, no? Some IRC clients are relatively easy to use, so if someone doesn't care enough to go through the little trouble of setting up their client, I doubt they'll trouble themselves with other good practices like the ones talked about here.
But it's just an opinion and a suggestion, nothing more.

| >>460624

What job settings?

| >>460654

I'm not against IRC's, its just not something I'd suggest off the bat because Discord is the fad chatsystem right now.

| What's this IRC?

| >>460748
Internet Relay Chat, basically the text-only ancestor of modern chats. Which makes it better, because it is a protocol created before the whole corporate mentality and surveillance issues.
And I'm pretty sure that the danger/u/ concept is inspired by it.

| >>460760 sounds neato!

| >>461746
It is quite nice, it's clean and can be self-hosted (since it's just a protocol, anyone can implement it anyway).
But indeed, it's not as easy as a discord or skype or whatever. Yet I believe that it's worth the effort, especially for people interested in the retro feeling of cyberpunk.

| Once the website has been updated I'll work on getting another IRC set up.

The first roleplays were done both on /cyb/ and an IRC at the time, but without specific applications much of the rp wasn't being logged, so the first of several discords was made. It will likely be a parody/homage to the Shadowlands BBS from Shadowrun.

| >>461789
If the IRC is reserved to specific RP parts, like closed settings and the like, it makes sense that they wouldn't be logged, as they would not be "public", no?
It's all a supposition/opinion though, so don't take me too seriously...

| >>461806

No, you're right, but it's not convenient for the participants of that particular setting. Sometimes key information is forgotten and some people just want an archive to look back on, or maybe someone has to leave for the evening/fall asleep and miss some messages in the process.

Which was the original reason we moved to Discord anyway- so the rp could be preserved for some time.

As long as Discord is around, anyway.

Now for realtime in character rp, it certainly still brings out the decker or netrunner in all of us.

Total number of posts: 65, last modified on: Fri Jan 1 00:00:00 1542234343

This thread is permanently archived